HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#38|Jan. 5, 2012|Blackhawks at Flyers |7:00 p.m. ET

Old
01-06-2012, 08:39 AM
Esq.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I thought JVR - Schenn - Simmonds was great. Hopefully they can keep it up. That leaves Read-Briere-Voracek as the residual when Jags returns and Talbot to the fourth line.
I like those lines. I wouldn't mind seeing Read and JVR switch places, but I really like having Schenn centering the third line. Talbot, Couturier, and Harry Z/Rinaldo would make up a solid fourth line, too.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:50 AM
duffy9748

If we have any shot at competing with a healthy Pittsburgh or Boston, we need to be solid defensively down the middle and Briere isn't helping our cause. I would still like to add a solid vet who is good defensively and can win draws. At least Schenn has been pretty good so far on faceoffs.

Without Jagr

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
JVR-Schenn-Briere
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Harry Z-Talbot-Rinaldo

With Jagr it's tough to get everyone their minutes but that's a good problem to have.

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr
JVR-Schenn-Briere
Read-Couturier-Voracek
Harry Z/Rinaldo-Talbot-Simmonds

Keep giving Simmonds ice time on that PP unit and some extra shifts if need be.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:14 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Not sure if it was mentioned in the thread or not, but was this the first game of the year the Flyers didn't have a minor penalty?

If so, it'll probably be the one of the year.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:16 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
Will you be a "happy camper" come playoffs when we aren't scoring 5 goals a game because we're facing Lundqvist and Thomas, but we're still letting in 4 goals?

We'll see if you consider allowing 4 goals "stealing a game" when we don't win a single *****ing playoff game.
Would you please read my post in its entirety?

I said "and the team keeps winning"- that applies to palyoff games as well!

No excellent individual performance maters if the result of the team sport is a loss.

Stellar goaltending or stellar goal scoring by 1-2 individuals does not guarantee victories.

So if team plays well and goaltenders do their part of the job and the team keeps winning- I will be a happy camper.

CSKA1974 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:20 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton 22 View Post
The dude can put up 60+ points, I don't think he's hurting us. You could say he slacks in the regular season, but I'd rather say he steps it up when it matters. It's not like he's a bum in the regular season. Unless he's on your fantasy team I can't think of why 60+ points isn't good enough production for someone who isn't playing with Giroux.
Well the thing is, we pretty much pay Briere JUST for his points. We sure as hell dont pay him for his defensive play.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Kaktus*

Briere zero points in last 5 games.
On pace to score 55pts this season. Probably his worst season in last 10 years. Injuries aside. GWG 1.

Cluch performance against Avs this season. Tied the game.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-06-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:00 AM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
So if team plays well and goaltenders do their part of the job
In what league is allowing 4 or more goals every time we face a team with even a remotely good offense doing "their part of the job."

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:25 AM
mirimon

I fell asleep last night, I just finished watching it now. That was a pretty good game overall. Hope Timonen won't miss too many games. Bourdon had a massive brain fart on Kane's goal, but otherwise I think the defense looked pretty good considering we're without Pronger and (for most of the game) Timonen. Meszaros was our best player imo. Coburn got beat a few times, but he's been pretty agressive the last couple of games, which is always a good thing with him. Let's hope Gustafsson is ready to play, regardless of Timonen's status though. I'd rather see him out there than Lilja right now.

We could use some better defense from our forwards though. I don't know what the hell Rinaldo was thinking on the first goal (he made a great job back checking on Sharp later on though), that fourth line brings a lot of energy and that is great, but Rinaldo and Zolnierczyk really could work on their d game. I love Giroux, and he is having a great season, but he's not exactly playing stellar d at the moment. Brière is just terrible defensively.

Hopefully this was a turning point for JvR (I know, it's been said before), he looked a lot better in this game.

I wasn't upset with the Sharp trade when it was made, I didn't think he had it in him to be a regular NHLer on a good team. Man, I wish he was on our team now though. He had a great game for them.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:39 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
In what league is allowing 4 or more goals every time we face a team with even a remotely good offense doing "their part of the job."
If the team keeps winning, I, personally, do not care about goalie stats.

But, I am going to stop right here- we will agree to disagree.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Yeah, even without the goals that would have been JVR's best game in a while. He just looked better overall out there.

01-06-2012, 11:43 AM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
So you don't care that the Flyers are going to get destroyed in the playoffs because they'll be facing better goaltending and still letting in the same amount of goals as right now.

Makes sense...

Old
01-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
jeez, he let in 1 bad goal. he made 5 huge / awesome saves .... with admittedly low confidence. they won.

yes, he needs to improve, but he was not awful vs CHI. he did his job.

the D made some HUGE blunders in front of him, as did Giroux in the WC losing his man Richards on the GWG

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:

See, that's the problem -- they won't keep winning if things continue like this. Do you not get that?

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:56 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
So you don't care that the Flyers are going to get destroyed in the playoffs because they'll be facing better goaltending and still letting in the same amount of goals as right now.

Makes sense...
Please stop twisting my words.

The key word in all of my statements was winning.

Again, I will say that- we will agree to disagree.

Old
01-06-2012, 03:10 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
See, that's the problem -- they won't keep winning if things continue like this. Do you not get that?
Nothing in my posts was about that.

Please refer to the original discussion about "stealing games" vs. "doing good job" since you obviously missed that.

So let me restate it: IMO, if goalies doing their job and the team keeps winning, I do not care about individual goalie stats.

Stellar goaltending helps, but does not guarantee results- Edmonton and Nashville come to mind.

Hockey is a team sport and individual performance of any player always has to be evaluated in the context of the team performance.

And that what I have been pointing out- no more, no less.

I am not commiting a cardinal sin of defending Bryz here (even though he showed some improvement last night), like some readers made it to be.

Bryz is here for better or for worse for at least several years, and I truly would like to enjoy the game I love and discuss the team's success, rather than spending my time by bashing one player.

Old
01-06-2012, 03:14 PM
bryzgalovsky*

He "showed improvement" last night by allowing 3 weak goals and 1 questionable one instead of 5 weak ones.

Let's give him a trophy.

Old
01-06-2012, 03:20 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
He "showed improvement" last night by allowing 3 weak goals and 1 questionable one instead of 5 weak ones.

Let's give him a trophy.
Man, you are going to drive yourself nuts in the next few years if you don't let go.

Here is an old man's advise for you:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference

If I had an ability to move Bryz for a better goalie, I would probably do it at the end of the season (if you remenber, everyone was asking for Hartnell's balls(me included) in the beginning of the season). Since I can't, I will try to enjoy my favorite team and hope that his and Bob's game will improve.

Old
01-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Nothing in my posts was about that.

Please refer to the original discussion about "stealing games" vs. "doing good job" since you obviously missed that.

So let me restate it: IMO, if goalies doing their job and the team keeps winning, I do not care about individual goalie stats.

Stellar goaltending helps, but does not guarantee results- Edmonton and Nashville come to mind.

Hockey is a team sport and individual performance of any player always has to be evaluated in the context of the team performance.

And that what I have been pointing out- no more, no less.

I am not commiting a cardinal sin of defending Bryz here (even though he showed some improvement last night), like some readers made it to be.

Bryz is here for better or for worse for at least several years, and I truly would like to enjoy the game I love and discuss the team's success, rather than spending my time by bashing one player.
Just because we're winning doesn't necessarily mean the goalie is doing his job. If a goalie is posting absolutely atrocious stats and it's incredibly obvious to most people that he is doing badly then he is not, in fact, doing his job.

Quote:

It absolutely boggles my mind that, after witnessing the Cup-costing SCF Leighton fiasco that anyone can say anything like this. Weak goals cost games. Stanley Cup winners don't have weak goaltending to the point where you see soft goals with any kind of regularity.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 03:56 PM
CSKA1974

It absolutely boggles my mind that, after witnessing the Cup-costing SCF Leighton fiasco that anyone can say anything like this. Weak goals cost games. Stanley Cup winners don't have weak goaltending to the point where you see soft goals with any kind of regularity.

He was not doing his job. Period.

The same way, Bryz was not doing his job against Boston etc., etc., etc.

My initial point was that goalies need to do their job as a part of winning the contest. And if the entire team plays well, there might not be a need for a goalie to steal the game.

Both of us are entitled for own opinions even if they are absolutly opposite.

Last edited by CSKA1974: 01-06-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old
01-06-2012, 04:47 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:

Makes sense...
If you are that certain the Flyers will get destroyed, you can make a lot of money betting on the games come playoff time ? Just saying.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:

Let's give him a trophy.
1 weak goal.

man all alone, 8 feet away, tips goal #1

he lost his stick, man allowed to walk right into the crease after undressing Timmo, on goal #2

Kane completely alone 10 feet away with all day, after D-man gets stripped, and fires a laser top corner for goal #4

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:27 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
1 weak goal.

he lost his stick, man allowed to walk right into the crease after undressing Timmo, on goal #2

Kane completely alone 10 feet away with all day, after D-man gets stripped, and fires a laser top corner for goal #4
People don't grasp that it's REALLY bad to give 5 extremely high chance opportunities to the opposition every game. You are just asking for bad results.

"But so and so faced 80 shots (from the outside)...look at his save %".

The type of chances have everything to do with results.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
1 weak goal.

I made the same argument yesterday, to no avail. We have a lot of living room goaltenders on this board. Everybody can stop a puck in their ivory tower.

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
I made the same argument yesterday, to no avail. We have a lot of living room goaltenders on this board. Everybody can stop a puck in their ivory tower.
We posters couldn't have stopped those pucks, but most starting goaltenders in the NHL probably would have. Bryz, not so much.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
We posters couldn't have stopped those pucks, but most starting goaltenders in the NHL probably would have. Bryz, not so much.
I agree with you to an extent. And i do believe he's under achieving. I'm everybit as aggravated as the rest of you guys are. But the fact is, it's gotten to the point that EVERY goal is considered a weak goal on Bryz.

Patrick Kane has all day and RIFLES a shot past him high blocker side (arguably the hardest save to make), and we rip him apart for it. if he was putting up Tim Thomas numbers we'd praise Kane for a great shot, and bash our defense for terrible effort.

I understand he's not putting up Thomas numbers and that's frustrating, but not EVERY goal is his fault. He's the last line of defense, not the only one.

He deserves the blame for goal 3, and if you're really angry, then goal 1 as well.

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote