HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yzerman scouting Canucks and wild goalies

Old
01-06-2012, 01:11 AM
Bam19

vCash: 500
Schneider + Schroeder

for

Downie + Connoley

Bam19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:33 AM
gurfling

I think its more likely he was scouting Harding than Schneider.

Schneider is one of the best backups in the league at a bargain basement price, why deal him now, wait until the draft or the summer. I mean I know the likelihood of Luongo getting injured is low, but it's still greater than 0, I would prefer having Schneider as a backup than the guys we could get back for him - as we can't take on much salary anyways.

gurfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkph View Post
Gillis has outright said he's keeping Schneider for now as we do need him.

But isn't this the most logical decision anyways? If Schneider is the great starting goaltender we all know he can be, the longer we have him, the more valuable he becomes, thus giving us better trade options in the future.
Gillis has said "he's keeping Schneider for now"? Wow thats definitive! Yes sir, there is absolutely no way on gods green earth that Gillis trades Schneider - unless a deal comes along, but otherwise , no chance!

The bolded is wrong also, if Gillis waits too long we lose Schneider for next to nothing.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:22 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
It's not crazy to guess TB is looking at Luongo. His contract is quite portable now.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:31 AM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
some reasons that this might not be far fetched:

1. Have you seen Lou's interviews this year, that does not look like a happy man to me. That's just my opinion, but the only time he seemed happy to me was when he wasn't playing and answering questions about his future here with answers like, "We have two #1 goalies here." and "There is no problem." Really Lou? Cause there should be, are you a competitor or not? Or... is there another reason? A backdoor to Tampa?

Wrong! "there is no problem" because he's confident enough in his ability to not be shaken by an upstart rookie and the job in Vancouver is Luongo's for as long as he wants it.

2. If he was going to ask to be traded, or offer to be, and this is a possibility, Tampa would have to be his destination of choice.

Really, Tampa! I guess, but what would he say? "I know I went to game 7 of the finals here, and I know I ruined your day by not getting a shutout in game 7, so I've decided to leave you with the chosen one and his wealth of experience. I'll give up on my own dreams of a Stanley Cup by insisting on a trade to a bubble team who will likely be worse off after they give you all you need for your Stanley Cup run. Sorry!

Why Tampa?

1. He has to have a relationship with Esposito after all his years in Florida. How many charity golf tournaments can two of the greatest Italio-Canadian goalies in history be at and not get into some pretty interesting conversations. And who wouldn't want Yzerman as their GM right now?
2. Tampa is a contender and has just as good an organization as the Nucks, they just need a goalie to be as good a team as the Canucks, this trade in fact would make both teams remarkably similar, with high end goaltending, a deep but unspectacular defense and even up front with a good mix of veteran superstars and emerging ones. Lou would lose nothing but time away from home and six years of emotional baggage by moving to Tampa.
3. Proximity to his wifes family. I've seen men at work with a look similar to Lous gloomy visage these days, thats all I'm sayin'.

and finally, there is a trade there that makes sense for all concerned

To Tampa:

Luongo + Ballard

To Van:

Hedman + Roloson

Would you do it? Its a riverboat gambler kind of move, but if Gillis had the kahunas to pull it off I would build a shrine to him in the corner of my apartment and start making daily offerings of klondike bars and gatorade in his honour.

Yes, this works within the capspace of both teams.
Luongo is going nowhere!

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:42 AM
ThereGoesVirtanen
#53...the future

I had a nightmare that Gillis held onto him so long he never ended up trading him and Schneider was offer sheeted for a 2nd rounder and the Canucks weren't able to match.

ThereGoesVirtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 03:35 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
I had a nightmare that Gillis held onto him so long he never ended up trading him and Schneider was offer sheeted for a 2nd rounder and the Canucks weren't able to match.
They would match anyways and make room.

Connolly straight up for Schneider at the draft would be fine with me and allow us to move Raymond for a high pick, IMO.

That would move our 2nd line RWer from $2.5-$3.5 mil area (re-signing Raymond) to $1.666 mil for the next 3 years + another pick.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:10 AM
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
They would match anyways and make room.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but even if we matched, wouldn't we be unable to move Schneider? Or am I confused here? In any case I don't see Gillis waiting that long so it's a moot point, I hope.

El Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Smokey McCanucks

Schneider+Ballard+1st+3rd for Hedman when he's healthy

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Rooooooooooxxxanne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
Schneider+Ballard+1st+3rd for Hedman when he's healthy
No way I throw a 1st in there. Hedman is grossly overrated on here just because of his size.

Rooooooooooxxxanne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:02 PM
crazyforhockey

Intresting thought here

Schneider gets Bos ....because they are coming to a back to back in fla

Cory in Bos (sat) Luo in Fla (Mon) Cory in TB (Tues)

SY gets long look at Cory in TB..... maybe more so for draft weekend ie trade

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote