HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Helmet recommendations

Old
01-06-2012, 02:49 PM
shawn1331

vCash: 500
Helmet recommendations

Hey guys, I have an old bauer 2500 helmet and cage combo and its been VERY uncomfortable ever since I got it, the sales guy reassured me it would be more comfortable after I wore it in. It didn't and maybe got worse as my head grew.

So I'm 16 and I'm looking for an exceptionally comfortable helmet within a budget of $100 or so. Preferably one that my cage would stil fit into but if it doesn't no biggie.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:18 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1331 View Post
Hey guys, I have an old bauer 2500 helmet and cage combo and its been VERY uncomfortable ever since I got it, the sales guy reassured me it would be more comfortable after I wore it in. It didn't and maybe got worse as my head grew.

So I'm 16 and I'm looking for an exceptionally comfortable helmet within a budget of $100 or so. Preferably one that my cage would stil fit into but if it doesn't no biggie.
What is uncomfortable about it? Is it the actual fit of the helmet or the padding? The Bauer 7500 Helmet is a killer helmet and only $20 out of your price range. Honestly, the 7500 and the 9900 blow other helmets out of the water. Most people that I've talked to love them. So, assuming the 2500 actually fits your head, the 7500 is where it's at. It has the memory comfort foam which is a lot more comfortable than the density foam that lower model helmets have.

Other than that, you might want to check out the Reebok 7K Helmet. It is the same deal as the Bauer helmet with the comfort foam, it just fits a little differently. Not really sure how to explain it, just a little different fit. Easy to adjust, too, and not as much bulk as the Bauer helmet.

You really can't go wrong with either of those helmets.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:56 PM
AIREAYE

Forget everything you think you know about helmets and get the one that fits your head the best. Try a bunch on.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:14 PM
shawn1331

aah right I forgot to mention why I wanted a newer one. The last 2 I've had (bauer 2500, and ccm vector something) both pinched at the back of my head. On either side of the ears there is a peice of foam shaped like a U and only the back side pushes in on the back of my head.

If you were to look at it like a clock from the top of my head, the parts that are being bothered(assuming that 12oclock would be my face and 6 oclock would be the back of my head) it's 5 oclock and 7 oclock that its uncomfortable. Also the top of the helmet at times can get tight but I don't notice it unless I wear it for awhile.

Another thing I'd be looking for would be cages and visors as I wear a visor in shinny and cages in HS. Thanks guys.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:56 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Forget everything you think you know about helmets and get the one that fits your head the best. Try a bunch on.
This. But I really like the M11. Pricey for you, but well worth it, and it definitely seems to help lessen hits to the head (the impact).

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:28 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
aah right I forgot to mention why I wanted a newer one. The last 2 I've had (bauer 2500, and ccm vector something) both pinched at the back of my head. On either side of the ears there is a peice of foam shaped like a U and only the back side pushes in on the back of my head.

If you were to look at it like a clock from the top of my head, the parts that are being bothered(assuming that 12oclock would be my face and 6 oclock would be the back of my head) it's 5 oclock and 7 oclock that its uncomfortable. Also the top of the helmet at times can get tight but I don't notice it unless I wear it for awhile.

Another thing I'd be looking for would be cages and visors as I wear a visor in shinny and cages in HS. Thanks guys.
I mean, where are you located? All of the new lines come from Reebok, Bauer, and Easton come out in April. Easton has a new helmet that is going to be pretty sick. I've tried it on and it was really comfortable for me. Do you have a local shop you can go to to try on a bunch of different ones? Everyone's head is different.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Guffaw

I think I'm in a Bauer 5100 maybe with a 9900 cage? Has worked well. Survived a few two handers to the head and backward falls with my head hitting the ice pretty hard.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:00 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
I mean, where are you located? All of the new lines come from Reebok, Bauer, and Easton come out in April. Easton has a new helmet that is going to be pretty sick. I've tried it on and it was really comfortable for me. Do you have a local shop you can go to to try on a bunch of different ones? Everyone's head is different.
Got a pro hockey life. dozens of national sports/sportcheks, croes sports, uhm...a few locally run shops. I'm near Bomanville just outside of Oshawa.

Old
01-07-2012, 02:24 AM
Achronos19

Bauer 4500.

Achronos19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:15 PM
shawn1331

I went with a reebok 7k. Costed $119.00. Guy kept trying to sell me the bauer 9900 for $199.00, damn commision guys.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

My recommendations are in the beginners thread stickied up top. Basically anything over $50 that fits your head and doesn't slide or move around has the same level of certification for safety.

I use an M11 and also have a Reebok 4k. Difference of about $70 retail. I feel safe in both of them. I bought the 4k because the M11 wasn't fitting very well and was a hair big. Turns out the alignment was off in the back and the helmet got hung up on itself. Now it fits tighter and the 4k is for stick and puck/backup.

I like all the Bauer cages but my favorite is the 9900. If you can spring extra for that, it's worth it IMO.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 06:58 PM
shawn1331

We went to the pro hockey life and buddie said if I was playing as much as I do a week(3-6 times without pick-up) I should go with the 9900 helmet because it had that impact gap in the back so you don't bust your head. To me it was just a money grab and for an extra $80 I didn't think it was worth it so I wanted the 7500. They didn't have any in black and the guy swore by these expensive $200 top of the line helmets by bauer and reebok. We ended up going to nationals and bought the 7K for $40 less and I'm happier with it anyways.

As for a cage I think I'll stick with my 2500 until theres a sale and then try out the 9900. I also have an old college hang out in the garage but it looked ridiculous on the bauer but will probably be fine on the RBK.

Old
01-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I do like helmets that have the occipital bump at the base of the back of the neck to keep it from sliding back and forth.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:07 PM
AIREAYE

Curious, as the 9900 and 7K fit completely different. I sure hope the 7K had the better fit for your sake.

But then again iirc PHL doesn't do commission...neither does National

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:40 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Curious, as the 9900 and 7K fit completely different. I sure hope the 7K had the better fit for your sake.

But then again iirc PHL doesn't do commission...neither does National
Yeah the 9900 was kind of an awkward feeling at the top. Don't get me wrong it was super comfortable but the awkwardness and $200 price tag turned me away. I didn't really think that concussion thing was a big deal.

I prefered the RBK 11K's fit to the bauers because it was a bit wider at the top and I have a block head. But, that had the $200 price tag on it as well so that was a no go. The RBK 7K felt almost the same minus the concussion gap in it just like the 9900. So I went with that it should be great. Didn't fit my cage as well as I'd hoped but what can you do.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:02 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
We went to the pro hockey life and buddie said if I was playing as much as I do a week(3-6 times without pick-up) I should go with the 9900 helmet because it had that impact gap in the back so you don't bust your head. To me it was just a money grab and for an extra $80 I didn't think it was worth it so I wanted the 7500. They didn't have any in black and the guy swore by these expensive $200 top of the line helmets by bauer and reebok. We ended up going to nationals and bought the 7K for $40 less and I'm happier with it anyways.

As for a cage I think I'll stick with my 2500 until theres a sale and then try out the 9900. I also have an old college hang out in the garage but it looked ridiculous on the bauer but will probably be fine on the RBK.
Reebok makes cages as well, if you're using the 2500 then the Reebok 5K will work just as well for you. It will definitely fit the helmet better, because Reebok is kind of weird. I actually have the 5K mask on a Bauer helmet Feel like trading?

But yea, as long as the 2500 does its job, there really isn't a reason to change. I've never seen a cage damaged and if it fits, it fits.

Old
01-08-2012, 03:00 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Reebok makes cages as well, if you're using the 2500 then the Reebok 5K will work just as well for you. It will definitely fit the helmet better, because Reebok is kind of weird. I actually have the 5K mask on a Bauer helmet Feel like trading?

But yea, as long as the 2500 does its job, there really isn't a reason to change. I've never seen a cage damaged and if it fits, it fits.
Yeah thats what I figured right why spend an extra $40 when my cage is perfectly fine. To be honest the only problem I have with the cage is it gets hung up on the ear loops where your chin strap clips into. I assume every cage regardless if it's reebok or not will do that until I get them worked in.