HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Rob Ray claims the 1999 Stanley Cup finals were fixed

Old
01-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Moonrock77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
I thought it was a linesman? And how did Ray know what they were talking about?

Opinions don't replace facts. Who cares if Ray "felt" it was unusual. The starting point would be (if you were actually going to take this seriously), was it actually unusual? Then, if it was unusual, what is the explanation for it? We have no context whatsoever, so who knows? Why leap to conspiracies (that make no sense) when there are all kinds of possible mundane explanations?

Hell, we're relying on one person's memory here, so maybe it didn't even happen at all. Human memory really sucks, you know. Yours and mine. Just because you remember something doesn't mean it happened that way.
That's very true about memory. Do you have the facts? Well neither do I. All I have is Rob Ray's memory and he speaks his truth publicly more than most players. If that's what he believes then that is more I have to go on than before, since unlike you and me, he was actually on the ice that day.

I'm just saying I trust people's gut feelings. One thing I've learned over the years is that facts can be spun anyway a person wants. So can emotions, but I can see why Bettman would prefer Dallas won that cup.

Quote:
Ray went to the Finals one time in his career, saw something he'd never seen before and determined it was unique? Ok.

The root issue here is that members of the Sabres organization have spent the past 13 years spinning excuses for a fair-and-square series loss. Once that kind of fabrication gets traction among casual fans, it never goes away... even if it's a bunch of baloney.

I don't know how Stars fans put up with it.
Wah wah. Imagine your precious Hurricanes lost to the Oilers in Game 7 because someone bumped into Cam Ward and knocked the puck in. Then all of a sudden the league says they sent a memo out mid-season saying the rules have suddenly changed and you didn't know about it. Good goal. Cup Oilers.

"Why do the Hurricane players keep whining? I don't know how Oilers fans put up with it."

If it bothers you ignore it.

Moonrock77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
No offense, but this just sounds like sour grapes that Toronto lost (and was beaten by the high scoring but still "boring" NJ Devils). I can understand a neutral hockey fan being bored by the 2003 finals (two low scoring, all-defense teams), but 2000? After the Devils put on a clinic of speed and creativity in Game 1, even ESPN announced something like "this wasn't your father's Devil's team. The days of them being boring are over." (Of course, ex-Toronto coach Pat Burns did his part to bring "boring" back to NJ).

And while Dallas played Hitchcock hockey, I always found Modano a joy to watch. To be honest, I enjoyed watching Dallas play hockey a lot more than Buffalo. I always thought Buffalo (other than Hasek) was one of the least creative teams in the league.

The "boring" crap by this point was mostly a concerted effort of excuse-making by the Toronto media IMO.

Yeah, the 2000 finals were low scoring, but what a goaltending clinic by both sides!
Modano was a joy to watch. Being under Hitchcock though was almost like a flower being surrounded by cement. He could have done so much more with his career. They weren't built around him the way they should have been.

You think 2000 was a goaltending clinic? I agree, two HHOF goalies going at it, but those overtimes hardly provided us with any end to end rushes and highlight reel saves. Think about it, in the two overtimes when was there a memorable save? I mean, the Stanley Cup was on the line in both games and I don't think anyone can remember a notable save the goalies made. I sure remember watching the games and not thinking there was a lot of action. I remember a ton of Kirk McLean in 1994 or Tim Thomas last year though.

I still maintain that there are times when the game and the fans are the losers. I believe 2000 to be one of those years. Even in Don Cherry's Rock Em Sock Em video which highlighted the 1999-'00 season had him throw some highlights of the 2000 final and the hitting involved and Cherry said: "Geez and everyone thought the finals were boring!" That was just the perception for several years in the mid 1990s all the way up until 2004. There were precious few Cup finals that generated a lot of excitement post 1994. 2001 was a pretty good one but other than that it wasn't until 2004 came along where we finally saw another classic watchable final. I mean it wasn't an uncommon train of thought at that time that we'd been robbed for so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straka91 View Post
Would not be superised, lots of money involved. Gotta agree that the linesman and Bettman have no business talking to each other during a playoff game.
But in full view of 18,00 fans and what could have been several cameras? In these days of mics picking up everything under the sun (it wasn't all that different in 1999) why would Bettman be doing a crooked deal right out in the open like that? There are plenty of reasons he could have been talking to Scampy. He could have been asking about the conditions of the ice for all we know. Hey, he might have asked him which teams were playing (hey its Bettman, we all know he isn't a hockey guy)

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote