HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Seriously, how long can Lombardi sit back

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2012, 08:51 PM
  #1
Hatter
All about the Bob
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,541
vCash: 500
Seriously, how long can Lombardi sit back

And not force a trade for some kind of offensive help? I just got done watching the game from last night, as I had to work, and that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, like after so many games this season, just gives way to anger. I have always been a Lombardi supporter but this is just getting ridiculous.

It isnt like we don't have the players, parts, and pieces to make a deal. If we have to overpay so be it. I just wonder how much longer Dean can watch this.

Yes, I guess it's possible that Dean has been burning up the phones behindd the scenes but without ANY leaks that I've seen. Have a hard time believing that. Could he really wait until the trade deadline or is he just waiting to see how many 1-0 games we can win while weighing that against how many 1-0 games Quick loses? It really is astounding to me. Teams 30th in offense that are still in the hunt for a playoff spot tend to make moves to solidify the roster and bolster what they are lacking, sometimes *GASP* even before the deadline.

Sorry for the angry rant. You guys know i never start threads i just had to get this off my chest

Something HAS to be done. Quick could use a little help, eh?

Xoxo

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:54 PM
  #2
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 4,941
vCash: 500
I don't know.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:57 PM
  #3
Nex06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Four days.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:00 PM
  #4
Hatter
All about the Bob
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,541
vCash: 500
Two days would be better for me.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:01 PM
  #5
TonySCV
Moderator
One More Time
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,239
vCash: 500
If it were a talent issue, he would have made a move long ago, but clearly when you have the entire team on pace for career lows in scoring, it's not a talent issue. It's an issue that resulted in Murray getting fired.

There's no reason not to give it a little more time to see if the team snaps out of their funk, particularly since they are piling up points every game. It's buying him time if nothing else.

__________________
"In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible has happened." - Vin Scully being clairvoyant in 1988.

The Los Angeles Kings - 2012 Stanley Cup Champions
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:11 PM
  #6
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
If it were a talent issue, he would have made a move long ago, but clearly when you have the entire team on pace for career lows in scoring, it's not a talent issue. It's an issue that resulted in Murray getting fired.

There's no reason not to give it a little more time to see if the team snaps out of their funk, particularly since they are piling up points every game. It's buying him time if nothing else.

Yep. But, lets be honest he's probably in Maui drinking a pina colada.

Just because YOU can't be patient doesn't mean he needs to do something asap. When you have the whole team under performing, it's difficult, imo.

We need to focus on the players now and not worry about Dean is goinbg to do. Which I'm sure he will.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:16 PM
  #7
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,829
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
No cap space and no trade partners.

Lombardi went all in during the off season.

Kompon still needs to be fired.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:19 PM
  #8
Choralone
Registered User
 
Choralone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 830
vCash: 100
He just replaced the coach a few weeks ago. That's a pretty radical change. Give it some more time. Dealing players when most of them are in the middle of career slumps doesn't sound to me like the best recipe to get return value.

Choralone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:20 PM
  #9
Hatter
All about the Bob
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
If it were a talent issue, he would have made a move long ago, but clearly when you have the entire team on pace for career lows in scoring, it's not a talent issue. It's an issue that resulted in Murray getting fired.

There's no reason not to give it a little more time to see if the team snaps out of their funk, particularly since they are piling up points every game. It's buying him time if nothing else.
Really? You believe that there is no reason not to give it a little more time? There has been no significant change n production since DS has taken over and I don't consider the fact that Quick and solid defense is stealing them games any reason to not go out and pursue proper offensive production. Times over. There are, what, 6 points separating the PAC div? Can we really stand to lose any more one goal games and risk not securing a playoff spot? In your mind, and arguably Deans, I guess the answer is yes.

You also bring up a valid point. Many of the players are on pace for ****** years even MORE a reason to shake something up. Hell, as dean sees it they have already cost a coach his job and yet nothing is changing. How bout getting rid of the captain and JJ, say hickey and or Penner and Brown and AMart(I don't feel like debating the names just making a point) to shake up the room and get s,e fresh blood in there. There has got to be a way to get our point production out of the facking cellar and lighting a fire under our players ***** ASAP. There is no time, here IMHO.

Just my .02

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:22 PM
  #10
Hatter
All about the Bob
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
No cap space and no trade partners.

Kompon still needs to be fired.
Cap space can be shed and trading partners especially "bad teams" with cap space can be found if you are willing to pay. Sometimes overpay.

Oh, and yes, how kompon still has a job is a curiosity thats a fact

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:26 PM
  #11
Hatter
All about the Bob
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post

Just because YOU can't be patient doesn't mean he needs to do something asap. When you have the whole team under performing, it's difficult, imo.

We need to focus on the players now and not worry about Dean is goinbg to do. Which I'm sure he will.
who is this we? This is a discussion board. Please tell me how us focusing on underperforming players is furthering the debate. I'm not even sure I understand the thought process on focusing on the players.

By the way, congrats on your, and Deans, level of patience. It's to be commended because if I ran this team I'd be pre coronary id be so pissed off I couldn't see straight. After all the worki put in to getting this team on paper. I applaud your resolve. Maybe after going 5-5 with 10 more 1-0 games you both will be ready to talk instead of focusing on the players.

I wish you the best.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:28 PM
  #12
TonySCV
Moderator
One More Time
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Really? You believe that there is no reason not to give it a little more time? There has been no significant change n production since DS has taken over and I don't consider the fact that Quick and solid defense is stealing them games any reason to not go out and pursue proper offensive production. Times over. There are, what, 6 points separating the PAC div? Can we really stand to lose any more one goal games and risk not securing a playoff spot? In your mind, and arguably Deans, I guess the answer is yes.


Just my .02
I hear ya. But... 6 points from being best in the west. 2 points from 9th. It's going to be this way to the end. "a player or two" isn't suddenly going to make us Vancouver or Chicago.

This team was built to have postseason success and trudge its way with boring (but winning) hockey in the regular season. The last two postseasons, the goaltending has let us down (and defense in general). Again, not anything that can be shored up.

Trades, particularly deadline trades, historically provide very little return. this team, like most in the NHL, is going to live or die the way the way it's built.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:29 PM
  #13
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Josh Deitell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 3,206
vCash: 500
We haven't lost a game in regulation in almost three weeks and people are clamoring for a shake up...

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:29 PM
  #14
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!
 
Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: O.C. California
Country: United States
Posts: 11,464
vCash: 1840
Didn't we win?

Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:30 PM
  #15
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!
 
TwoForRoughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UCLA, Los Angeles
Posts: 2,163
vCash: 500
Dude, the Kings are 6-1-3 in their last 10 games. No need to rush anything right now.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:31 PM
  #16
Hatter
All about the Bob
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choralone View Post
He just replaced the coach a few weeks ago. That's a pretty radical change. Give it some more time. Dealing players when most of them are in the middle of career slumps doesn't sound to me like the best recipe to get return value.
Iyho, How much does the general fan believe that it has to do more with the personalities in the room rather than the coaching? I am curious.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:32 PM
  #17
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Josh Deitell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 3,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I hear ya. But... 6 points from being best in the west. 2 points from 9th. It's going to be this way to the end. "a player or two" isn't suddenly going to make us Vancouver or Chicago.

This team was built to have postseason success and trudge its way with boring (but winning) hockey in the regular season. The last two postseasons, the goaltending has let us down (and defense in general). Again, not anything that can be shored up.

Trades, particularly deadline trades, historically provide very little return. this team, like most in the NHL, is going to live or die the way the way it's built.

- T
I thought Quick was outstanding in the San Jose series last year. The defense just fell apart when the Sharks pressed. Most of their key goals were off turnovers or outnumbered attacks. If we had Kopitar in that series, I think we might have won it. Richards, even more so. So in that regard, if we were two players away last postseason, we could already have them now.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:33 PM
  #18
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
who is this we? This is a discussion board. Please tell me how us focusing on underperforming players is furthering the debate. I'm not even sure I understand the thought process on focusing on the players.

By the way, congrats on your, and Deans, level of patience. It's to be commended because if I ran this team I'd be pre coronary id be so pissed off I couldn't see straight. After all the worki put in to getting this team on paper. I applaud your resolve. Maybe after going 5-5 with 10 more 1-0 games you both will be ready to talk instead of focusing on the players.

I wish you the best.

I mean as worrying about the players now that are the Kings. There needs to be changes, no doubt. I have no idea what they will be though. Who wants these players that are underperforming?

Lets face it, we have NO idea what Dean is doing. Just because he hasn't done something, doesn't mean he won't.

A lot of teams are buyers, imo. That makes it that much harder.

The trade deadline is next month, if he hasn't done anything by that time, then please continue to complain. I might even join in

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:36 PM
  #19
Hatter
All about the Bob
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,541
vCash: 500
I understand the kings are 6-1-3 in the last 10. I also understand that the kings are lossless in regulation under new head coach DS. These facts are not lost on me. I wonder if conversely the facts that our pathetically anemic offense had little to nothing to do with the sat majority of those wins as did our defensive responsibility , brought to you by TM, and outstanding goaltending. the team was probably 5 goals against away from going 3-1-6 or for and going 10-0-0.

I don't know. My bad guys. I'm obviously mistaken in my opinion that the team needs to do something regardless of the record at this point. This team

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:38 PM
  #20
Hatter
All about the Bob
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post

The trade deadline is next month, if he hasn't done anything by that time, then please continue to complain. I might even join in
10-4 roger that good buddy. I'll be back next month. Hopefully not to complain that dean waited too long and because of that we are squarely back in the black hole again.

In the meantime ill just sit here and pray that quick doesn't go through a 4-5 game slump.

Cheers

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:39 PM
  #21
TonySCV
Moderator
One More Time
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
I thought Quick was outstanding in the San Jose series last year. The defense just fell apart when the Sharks pressed. Most of their key goals were off turnovers or outnumbered attacks. If we had Kopitar in that series, I think we might have won it. Richards, even more so. So in that regard, if we were two players away last postseason, we could already have them now.
Yeah... Tis true.

Bottom line though it's the experience that these guys needed. Doughty and Johnson are still young, and they are our anchors on D along with Scuds and Mitchell. They got exposed in the playoffs and theyve learned from that (I do think they improved from Vancover to San Jose. Quick certainly did). Experience is the best acquisition most of the time.

Its a systems issue, not a personnel issue (let's face it,if Crawford were here the team would be potting 3-5 a night - and allowing that many), and so far what I've seen from Sutter is he's able to eek out enough minor system improvements to make a difference. (and some not so minor. Puck possession time has improved dramatically since he took over).

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:45 PM
  #22
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
it's been 6 years, starting to think we are just gonna be Nashville type team.

1-0 Baby!!!!

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:46 PM
  #23
Hatter
All about the Bob
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,541
vCash: 500
As a sidenote, thanks to Dana for the quote, He's [Quick] 18-10-6. On the pre-game show tonight they said in the 16 games he's lost in either regulation or OT, the team has scored a grand total of 21 goals. That's just ridiculous.

Quick with marginal offense behind him is........ Oh forget it.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:52 PM
  #24
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Josh Deitell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 3,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Yeah... Tis true.

Bottom line though it's the experience that these guys needed. Doughty and Johnson are still young, and they are our anchors on D along with Scuds and Mitchell. They got exposed in the playoffs and theyve learned from that (I do think they improved from Vancover to San Jose. Quick certainly did). Experience is the best acquisition most of the time.

Its a systems issue, not a personnel issue (let's face it,if Crawford were here the team would be potting 3-5 a night - and allowing that many), and so far what I've seen from Sutter is he's able to eek out enough minor system improvements to make a difference. (and some not so minor. Puck possession time has improved dramatically since he took over).
To me the difference is in the attitude of the team. It's been night and day. Most of the games we've won might have been close on the scoreboard, but these aren't "stolen" wins. If anything, teams are stealing points from us. The mental strength is just so much better. The Vancouver game in particular impressed me. Vancouver's goal could have proved a shot in the foot, but the Kings soldiered on.

I don't know. I get the sentiment that we need to score more goals, but I think mostly it's just because goals are sexy and make the games more exciting during the regular season. During the playoffs, "boring" defensive hockey can be legitimately entertaining. The games in general are better because the stakes are higher. As long as we make it there, it's not really important how. The Sharks have been playing wide open hockey for years and have had a ton of regular season success and nothing to show for it. Dean laid the foundation for that there, with guys like Selanne/Marleau/Sturm/Korolyuk. He can see it hasn't worked, so maybe he's trying something different.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:26 PM
  #25
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, Nv.
Country: United States
Posts: 25,604
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
We haven't lost a game in regulation in almost three weeks and people are clamoring for a shake up...
I think the big reason is that we can't keep this up... I don't know about a shakeup, but we can't rely on Quick to be the best goaltender in the league just to get us to limp into the last playoff spot. Whether it is personnel, system, staff, or some crazy mental thing, it doesn't matter, if we continue like we are, the odds are we may not make it. We can't be 30th in the league on offense and expect to be competitive. Most people sense that and it is causing panic and it is causing these threads. Things can't continue as they are, and we have been "working on" the offense for quite some time now with very little success. Something has to change and we are getting to the point where that something might not be internal. We will wait and see, but the deadline is in sight. If we miss the playoffs, who knows, maybe Lombardi's job is in jeopardy. Things will get interesting, that we can say for certain at least...

__________________

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.