HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Shooting at Metro Bonaventure

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Dekar

vCash: 500
I didn't read any articles in here, but the last one I read on CBC.ca said the cop got slashed in the chest area. I'm not beat up over the guy getting shot, I am curious however if they shot to kill or shot him in the arm/leg or something just to incapacitate him. It's probably safe to say they just shot to kill. I know that the cops' reaction is to take him down no matter how they do it, but cops are trained to make quick-but-rational decisions.

It's crazy to think that I work right upstairs in that same building and was actually thinking of going to refill my Opus card at lunch today.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:08 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendresse View Post
I hope you're trolling. The majority of people don't give the cops a reason to believe they're about to take someone hostage. This guy did.
Doesn't matter. The guy didn't need to be killed. He stabbed someone which is terrible but it's not a crime deserving of death. Shoot him in the leg and then take him to jail.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
I didn't read any articles in here, but the last one I read on CBC.ca said the cop got slashed in the chest area. I'm not beat up over the guy getting shot, I am curious however if they shot to kill or shot him in the arm/leg or something just to incapacitate him. It's probably safe to say they just shot to kill. I know that the cops' reaction is to take him down no matter how they do it, but cops are trained to make quick-but-rational decisions.
Cops are trained to shoot at the body mass (at least in North America, I have no idea for the rest of the world) all the time. Shooting someone (even at point blank) isn't easy in a life and death situation, even for a trained shooter, that's why there's no such thing as "trying to incapacitate" by shooting at a limb.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Travis Moen

Pigs gonna pig

Old
01-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
We don't have all the facts yet! But Wielding a knife in a public place in downtown Montreal(A busy Subway Station!!!) is not what this City is about. As far as we know only 2 constables were on the scene & one was stabbed, not like a force was up the escalators blocking public. People were using the station & if the suspect was willing to use force how do we know that he wouldn't have on the next person trying to use a subway train? coming down an escalator?

It's a judgement call Sometimes, but don't try to kill in downtown Montreal or you will be!!!

Sounds so far like the City's finest made the right call.

Could be your girlfriend, wife..daughter trying to catch the next train!

Old
01-06-2012, 07:35 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBarmada View Post
People saying that they're glad he's dead is just wrong, human life is sacred. Granted this man had major issues, do you people even know why he did it ?

Has it donned on you that someone lost a son ? Brother ? Father ? Husband ? Boyfriend ? Etc. And now someone else might day ?

Who knows why he did what he did but wishing someone dead, or being happy he's gone is wrong, unless your close to the victim.

I hope the officer is alright.

But ****, people these days.....
So if he lost a son, it makes it okay to attempt to take away someone else's father, son, cousin, friend, husband, etc?

I don't wish he's dead but there's no excuse for stabbing anyone, let alone a police officer.

-----------------------------------------------------

Also, for those blaming the cops, really? Blaming the cops here? What is wrong with you people? I hear some people hate cops, I ask them why. "They gave me a speeding ticket, thiose pigs".."were you speeding?" "yah man, 120 in a 50 zone"...Okay and they are terrible human beings because you broke the law? I speed all the time but if I get caught I won't blame the police officer. I know it's not relevant, but just wanted to add how stupid some arguments related to police are. They are given the right to protect us. They are human for sure but they are trained. They are not without their faults but seriously? There's a huge distinction between someone taking law into their own hands and this.

Also, i'm surprised by crazynine as I know you are or are becoming an engineer. Should we allow random people to make buildings? Why not? Who do these engineers think they are? They're not perfect, what if they make a mistake and kill hundreds right? So imagine regular untrained people who don't even know regulations and the science behind it. Now, in the situation of cops, it's not identical, but it's similar.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 01-06-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old
01-06-2012, 07:41 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Man... Have any of you even fired a handgun? Its extremely hard to hit an arm or leg, especially on a moving target in a split second situation. There's no such thing as shooting someone in the leg to incapacitate them. Especially in a crowded metro station. Man you guys are too much sometimes... It's almost like you support the guy for stabbing a cop.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Player 61
#Winning

If the constables got close enough to the suspect that one was stabbed, seems that they might have tried to subdue before excessive force. People keep in mind that this happened at a busy subway station in downtown Montreal in broad daylight.

I don't always agree with the Montreal Police Services, but they also made the right call at The Dawson College shooting.

Last edited by Player 61: 01-06-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old
01-06-2012, 08:16 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Was hearing announcements about it when I was in the Wagon to Peel.. I then realised it was Bonaventure and Peel was paralel to it. Not gona lie, I was looking around to see if anyone looked sketch inside the metro wagon lol

Old
01-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
Doesn't matter. The guy didn't need to be killed. He stabbed someone which is terrible but it's not a crime deserving of death. Shoot him in the leg and then take him to jail.
You say like its easy to shoot someone in movement in the leg or choosing preferred area on the body. Gun is a deadly weapon, so when the cops have to use it, its because they don't have other choice. Cops don't use the gun to KILL people, they use it to defend people or themselves.

Last edited by Stradale: 01-06-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old
01-06-2012, 09:44 PM
coolasprICE

this is why i'm against public transport and pro cars

Old
01-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
this is why i'm against public transport and pro cars
Except of course that you have waaaaaay more chances of dying in a car accident than in public transportation

Old
01-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Do you know for a fact that any cop had a direct shot at a leg to immobilize him?

Old
01-06-2012, 10:20 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Except of course that you have waaaaaay more chances of dying in a car accident than in public transportation
i rather die with dignity and pride than to breath & be exposed to germs and gangs

Old
01-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Do you know for a fact that any cop had a direct shot at a leg to immobilize him?
On CNN during the Dawson incident, Montreal Police used a word that CNN ran with and still uses "Neutralize" It's gone world wide. We had 2 incidents that made us world wide, enough!

2 Colleges, how do we know what's in the guys mind? In downtown Montreal you bring a weapon, you could die, this is OK!

Old
01-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
On CNN during the Dawson incident, Montreal Police used a word that CNN ran with and still uses "Neutralize" It's gone world wide. We had 2 incidents that made us world wide, enough!

2 Colleges, how do we know what's in the guys mind? In downtown Montreal you bring a weapon, you could die, this is OK!
Unless you were there at the scene of the crime, it's hard to make sense of it all. Comparing one situation to another isn't really relevant.

In this case, a man stabbed an officer twice. Once in the neck, once in the abdomen. That is an attempt to injure, as both those stab wounds can be fatal. For all we know, the other officers on hand had very little time to react before the suspect either attempted to flee the scene or grab another passerby to hold as a shield.

Yes, an officer's duty is to immobilize the suspect by either shooting them in the leg or taking them down physically to the ground. However sometimes situations occur that lead to a cop having to make a decision whether he wants to take out the suspect or give him time to react and possibly hurt another. The notion of "pigs, what do you expect?" is ridiculous. Not all of them are bad and the good ones aren't invincible to making mistakes either. It's a tough job.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Unless you were there at the scene of the crime, it's hard to make sense of it all. Comparing one situation to another isn't really relevant.

In this case, a man stabbed an officer twice. Once in the neck, once in the abdomen. That is an attempt to injure, as both those stab wounds can be fatal. For all we know, the other officers on hand had very little time to react before the suspect either attempted to flee the scene or grab another passerby to hold as a shield.

Yes, an officer's duty is to immobilize the suspect by either shooting them in the leg or taking them down physically to the ground. However sometimes situations occur that lead to a cop having to make a decision whether he wants to take out the suspect or give him time to react and possibly hurt another. The notion of "pigs, what do you expect?" is ridiculous. Not all of them are bad and the good ones aren't invincible to making mistakes either. It's a tough job.
CTV Montreal interviewed witnesses in the station(If you watched the broadcast) & Yes! the Station was active & The Constables were yelling for locals to get out of the way. The Subway Station was very active! Sorry so far I see nothing wrong at all.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:54 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
We wouldn't need laws, cops and prison if everybody's basic needs were met (food, comfortable shelter, purpose and fulfillment). The majority of crimes are poverty related. Aberrant behaviours are caused by the environment, because we evolve through our environment through day one when mitosis starts. Aberrant behaviour shouldn't be delt with punishment (an archaic and ego-driven concept), but rather with rehabilitation. Problem is, it has to be coupled with a society that would have much more equity than the one we have right now. The most aberrant behaviour of all, in consequential terms, is greed, because greed is at the base of the problem, causes needs of others to not be met. Greed is the primary viscious circle we're stuck in. Evil isn't inherent.
Wow.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:04 PM
SouthernHab

Good job by the cop to kill the man who was trying to kill him. Stabbing someone in the neck is not simply trying to harass someone. No, that is an attempt to kill.

How many of you posting here own a gun? Just out of curiosity......

I own several and keep them for incidents just like this........self defense.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
I love these types of comments. I've worked in Law Enforcement for over 20 years. Some guy stabs me or a coworker in the neck and he gets shot. This **** about shooting him in the leg or arm or what not is not the way you are trained. You are trained to shoot at the mass. Anyone that thinks it is a walk in the park when th is type of situation is going on, has never been in this situation. The guy got what he deserved. Did he think about the cops life when he stabbed him? I doubt it. Maybe he should have stabbed him in the finger or something..

And I'm a Veteran as well so I have seen plenty of combat action. So don't go there.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
That ******* stabbed a coworker of mine, I would have shot...regardless. You don't take your time to aim. You take your shots and they are done to incapacitate. You don't wait. That's just assinine that people think that we should all be sharpshooters. Maybe they should have shot the knife out of his hand...you know they do that in the movies.

Closed Thread