HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Realigned!!! [3/7 update: CHI - COL - DAL - MIN - NSH - STL - WPG; NHLPA approves]

Old
01-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Olympics make the NHL zero money directly. Indirectly you can make the case, but even after the USA v. Canada GMG they only saw a slight percentage increase in viewing
Well the NHL needs to get behind hockey in general. Anything that increases interest in hockey can indirectly increase interest in the NHL.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:47 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
The salary cap needs to stay in place too. Though it can be frustrating at times, I want it to stay. It's the only way to keep every team on a more even playing field.....minus the East and their light travel schedules.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Well the NHL needs to get behind hockey in general. Anything that increases interest in hockey can indirectly increase interest in the NHL.
Exactly. They also need to promote some sort of an Europa league, like we've seen in the past, and give the winner a chance to play against the Stanley Cup winner. Kind of like... "Hockey Champions League", if you will. Say what? They've tried that already? Oh well, scrap that then.

What hockey needs most is the KHL licence to NHL 13, really. And move the all-star vacation to April, so they can have the IIHF WC during that time, and we'd have much better rosters and it would make that more interesting as well. And even better: Have the all-star game during the group stage so the players can perhaps join their respective teams in the playoff rounds and medal games so they don't have to host the World Cup separately any more? Not that they do it anyway, just a thought.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Caior89

vCash: 353
Damn... this is a bucket of cold water for us.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:53 PM
forthewild

vCash: 500
I just ended up liking nick shultz a lot less, **** fehr, **** the union, **** thr players bunch of ****img babies

I hope the nhl gets rid of guaranteed contracts too hard cap too **** you fehr

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Caior89

vCash: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Exactly. They also need to promote some sort of an Europa league, like we've seen in the past, and give the winner a chance to play against the Stanley Cup winner. Kind of like... "Hockey Champions League", if you will. Say what? They've tried that already? Oh well, scrap that then.

What hockey needs most is the KHL licence to NHL 13, really. And move the all-star vacation to April, so they can have the IIHF WC during that time, and we'd have much better rosters and it would make that more interesting as well. And even better: Have the all-star game during the group stage so the players can perhaps join their respective teams in the playoff rounds and medal games so they don't have to host the World Cup separately any more? Not that they do it anyway, just a thought.
No way they would do that, it's a high risk of losing players to injuries in the most important part of the season, the playoff rush and the playoffs itself.

Quote:
I just ended up liking nick shultz a lot less, **** fehr, **** the union, **** thr players bunch of ****img babies
Edit: Why would Schultz disagree with the realignment? doest make sense at all... since he is also a victim of the current one.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

The NHL absolutely needs to keep its hard cap.

Floor I could live without but thats the thing that guarantees the players get their revenue slice so thats probably never going away.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:04 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

I can just picture it now......the NHL is in a long lockout, and the Vikings move. It'll be Timberwolves only.

Good luck trying to talk the fans off the bridges in this town. And good luck to those who own restaurants and bars. Yes, we have high school and college hockey, but it's not gonna cut it.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:08 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
A majority of hockey fans and the owners do not agree with our mentality. Canada only cares about two things: Stanley Cup/Gold Medal at Olympics. They don't care about hockey growing as a sport, if anything they are as against it as we are with basketball going more international....it takes away from the dominance you own of it. They may not run the Olympics, but they still have the majority of players in the NHL IIRC. United States, only care about the same thing. Europe may or may not, IDK I don't live there.

Its a business, not entertainment/religion like many of us see it as. Whenever they don't make money, they are upset. Olympics included. Ask Buffalo about Hasek getting hurt at the Olympics and there have been several others that have gone down during that timeframe instead of playing or prepping for the playoffs. Remember, if a team makes the playoffs....that is STRAIGHT revenue in the pockets of the league and the owners. At that point all salaries have been paid out, concessions, arena lease, etc. And last time I saw an article on that...its about $1M per game played in your venue. That $1M right into the pockets of the league and owner. Hence the reason owners truly want to get to the playoffs moreso than push the game. If that were the case, we wouldn't have a team in Phoenix or Miami, they would be promptly in Kansas City and Quebec at this point.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:11 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
I can just picture it now......the NHL is in a long lockout, and the Vikings move. It'll be Timberwolves only.

Good luck trying to talk the fans off the bridges in this town. And good luck to those who own restaurants and bars. Yes, we have high school and college hockey, but it's not gonna cut it.
Lockout is pretty improbable at this point. Neither side wants it because it hurt the lining in the pockets for everyone that was involved in the last one. Moreso the league itself. Bettman won't let it happen if he actually has a brain. They will continue with the schedule they have and most likely move Nashville to the SE to replace Atlanta, even if it is just temporary. What people are forgetting is the 7v8 divisions were giving them the ability to add two more teams without having to contract or relocate anyone. So if i were a Quebec/Kansas City supporter...I would be demanding the alignment go through. Otherwise their ability to house a team seriously went from about 75% to .1%

Old
01-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Greed? Egos? Power?

That's my world too....

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:27 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Of course they'll have a lockout right when Granlund is suppose to join the team.

Although it's a bit strange. Koivu was ready to come over, and had to play in Houston for the very same reason.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:34 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Russo's Rants

Quote:
An email I just received from Wild owner Craig Leipold:

"To say I am disappointed in the actions of the nhlpa to deny consent to implement realignment for next season is an understatement. Our fans were universally excited to be playing against midwestern teams in the previous old Norris Division.

"I'm disappointed for our fans, our employees and our players. It appears everyone wanted this to happen except the leaders of the players union. I pledge to Wild fans to continue to pursue this realignment plan as aggressively as possible."
Does this mean that Schultz has to fly coach the rest of the season?

Old
01-06-2012, 08:38 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

The PA is flexing a little muscle. Most likely, the realignment will still happen exactly the same, except be delayed a year. Likely, the union will demand that they be granted the ability to do exactly what they've just done at the CBA negotiations, so they can "give in" on it and win a little bit towards a different concession at the bargaining table. They know how much of the upper hand the owners have now with the NBA and NFL agreements in regards to revenue sharing.

Unless the league somehow makes two schedules (which is a pretty daunting task) we'll be stuck with the current alignment for one more year, but one more year only.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
The PA is flexing a little muscle. Most likely, the realignment will still happen exactly the same, except be delayed a year. Likely, the union will demand that they be granted the ability to do exactly what they've just done at the CBA negotiations, so they can "give in" on it and win a little bit towards a different concession at the bargaining table. They know how much of the upper hand the owners have now with the NBA and NFL agreements in regards to revenue sharing.

Unless the league somehow makes two schedules (which is a pretty daunting task) we'll be stuck with the current alignment for one more year, but one more year only.
I'm willing to bet the schedule makers will be making a schedule based on the new alignment. Russo mentioned as such in his latest blog.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post

Yeah if that happens it will be a very, very long winter.

I hope MSU-Moorhead actually ends up going through with their halfassed plans to do D1 hockey so I can start caring about college hockey already.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:06 PM
BigT2002

If there is no hockey, I'm taking my military leave (240 hours) and my employers leave (250 hours + 30 hours of use or lose) and starting in October, I am going to station myself in Hawaii until March in protest. Don't feel sorry for me, I do it in sacrifice for our nation

Old
01-06-2012, 09:53 PM
RxDangles19

Horrible news...... Wish they would at least give a reason why they rejected it.

RxDangles19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:56 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

The players association sure has some explaining to do, thats for sure.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:04 PM
BigT2002

They've already explained Gents. They said they didn't know about the deadline for approving of the schedule.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:10 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

SCREW THE NHLPA! They can go to hell!

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

So at the end of the Blackie/Snowfoot game they were talking about the NHLPA rejecting the realignment and the hawks color guy was saying that from what he had gathered some 75-80% of the actual players approved of the realignment, so this must have come from Fehr and his cronies.

The NHLPA really mucked things up when they brought him into the picture.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:19 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

Quote:
According to reports, the NHLPA was concerned over increased travel and a new playoff structure. The plan was approved by the NHL's Board of Governors during its annual meetings on Dec. 5.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/shark...06&feedID=5881

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:30 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I'm willing to bet the schedule makers will be making a schedule based on the new alignment. Russo mentioned as such in his latest blog.
"Making a schedule" isn't simple. I am extremely skeptical that arena schedulers would be willing to work with the NHL to design contingency schedules as that would likely cost them tens of millions of dollars.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
"Making a schedule" isn't simple. I am extremely skeptical that arena schedulers would be willing to work with the NHL to design contingency schedules as that would likely cost them tens of millions of dollars.
Tens of millions? I doubt it. All they're doing when they make potential schedules is look at whos arenas are available what nights. They probably do a lot of it by computer with some manual rejiggering to make sure nothing really anomalous comes out like a 12 game home stand or playing the same team 3 games in a row.

We should call up Winnipeg and offer to straight up swap schedules with them next year or something. Would be interesting to play a year in the East.