HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our Centre situation for the future [ALL CENTRE DEPTH DISCUSSION]

View Poll Results: What do we do?
Draft a number one center and trade Plekanec for a key missing piece? 31 41.33%
Draft a number one center and trade Eller? 2 2.67%
Draft a number one center and trade Desharnais? 10 13.33%
Draft a number one center and shift Deshairnais to wing? 20 26.67%
Keep our existing centers and draft a winger or defenseman? 12 16.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
^^^^^This

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:15 AM
Emanresu Wen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
One freakin game and people ready to hand over the reigns to Eller. This is the problem with alot of the fanbase. Way to fanatical. Give the kid some time to mature and gel. Then we can decide where his future lies. Talk about jumping to conclusions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
^^^^^This
These overreactions are perfectly normal after such an atrocious sequence of performances

Emanresu Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:20 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Plekanec/Eller/DD is something that could work.... but it would take some patience.

I'm still trying to figure out if Eller is top 2 centre material. He certainly has the raw tools and the internal drive to be that guy. He can be like a bigger version of plekanec for this team if he can evolve into a more consistent point producer. I think its just a matter of time tbh.

I like desharnais but I believe he's a best fit if you want a 3rd line with offensive spark. Not that he's doing a bad job this year as a #2 centre, but I worry about him getting worn down in that slot in the long run.

Noke is very replaceable and dime a dozen kind of guy. I am interested where cunneyworth sees gomez in all of this.

Last edited by Hackett: 01-05-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:49 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Plekanec/Eller/DD is something that could work.... but it would take some patience.

I'm still trying to figure out if Eller is top 2 centre material. He certainly has the raw tools and the internal drive to be that guy. He can be like a bigger version of plekanec for this team if he can evolve into a more consistent point producer. I think its just a matter of time tbh.

I like desharnais but I believe he's a best fit if you want a 3rd line with offensive spark. Not that he's doing a bad job this year as a #2 centre, but I worry about him getting worn down in that slot in the long run.

Noke is very replaceable and dime a dozen kind of guy. I am interested where cunneyworth sees gomez in all of this.
You have to ask yourself if a team goes deep in the playoffs with Desharnais as your 3rd line center. It could work if he's your 2nd but you'd have to surround him with a lot of size. Given our needs, I think we need an energy line for the 3rd line. Moore and Lapierre would have been ideal.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:30 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Couldn't be any bigger than Tremblay vs Roy and the terrible trade that ensued :S

I think we'll get that center next draft, we're that good at failing atm.
Could be argued can't win a Cup without a number 1 center. Since in 100 years of Cup only 2 teams have done it, the '95 Devils and 2011 Bruins. Which could be argued only 1 team as Bergeron is close to being a #1 center. He certainly played like one in the playoffs as did Kreji.

Habs are much better team than a lottery team. Over the course of 82 games, they are not a playoff team as too far behind now but not 5th worse either. Somewhere in between. Be drafting 8-10 th overall unless they trade some players at the deadline. Habs have too much talent to finish with a lottery pick, Price one of best goalies in league, Plekanec a solid #2 center. Cole and Pacioretty are big, first line wingers. Cammalleri and Subban are much better than they played in first half of season. Gionta and Markov been missing due to injuries. This team won't get a #1 center with that pick because draft more loaded on defensemen.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
. Give the kid some time to mature and gel.
I can see that helping a referee like Terry Fraser but how will the art of hair styling help a hockey player?

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Not sure why people are worried about the centre depth. It's the best we've had since, well as far as I can remember. We might not have an elite centre, but we have a pretty good #1 centre in Plekanec, followed by two kids who only have around 100 games under their belts, both on pace for ~40-points this year (DD 51, Eller 35).

The positions to worry about are quite simply Cammalleri (who looks to be picking it up) and Gionta.

We need an elite level first line winger, someone who can score 70+ points per year.

And we need some stability on the blueline, which hopefully Markov can add when he returns.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Lions999

Quote:
One freakin game and people ready to hand over the reigns to Eller. This is the problem with alot of the fanbase. Way to fanatical. Give the kid some time to mature and gel. Then we can decide where his future lies. Talk about jumping to conclusions.
If you read the thread it says for the future,to get a number one you need to put Pleks in the package to get a number one.

Lions999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:15 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Good to see Eller start putting the numbers up. I think he had it hard under JM, Martin has giving him more of a shut-down role. And it seems like he really wasn't please with Martin, I think when we look back it will be a good thing, making him a really good two way player. Martin was hard on young guys with the Sens, with Halvat,Hossa,Fisher, all turned out to be really good two way. Only person to rebel was Speeza, and you can see why his defensive game is weak.

Its great to see RC give both Eller and DD ice time. I think their have been a few threads merged with my original one. But I think the main point making/or asking, is the way need to play both DD and Eller to see if they can be slotted in a 2-3 role along with Pleck for use to be a contending team. IMO DD has kept his part, pace for around 50 points, and if Eller keeps playing the way he has, hopeful get around 40-50 points. I don't think we will be need to go search for a centre.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Coldplay
Courage

This settles it, I'd say: http://twitter.com/PKSubban1/status/154959432227368961

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:36 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

I was reading something on how Brad Richards has had a trickle-down effect on the Rangers and even though he's not elite he still makes the team that much better because he is a legit number 1 centre. The article was on puckdaddy arguing that Brian Burke should trade for Getzlaf by any means necessary; Kadri + Colbourne + Kulemin + etc. Because having a #1 at every position is vital and Getzlaf is a number 1.

Is Plekanec a number 1 centre? Does he have a trickle-down effect of eating up minutes, creating opportunites and generating momentum? Can a team get by with three number 2 centres, as some would argue is what the Habs have?

Should the Habs make (any and all) moves to snatch Getzlaf, Richards, Carter or Staal? Would they really make up for the loss of the pieces sent the other way?

I really don't want to lose Price, Subban, Patches or Eller (in that order) in a trade but maybe we should finally get that god-damned number 1 centre?

tl;dr Do the Habs have a #1 centre? Do they need one? Where/how could they get one and what's the best way?

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:40 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I was reading something on how Brad Richards has had a trickle-down effect on the Rangers and even though he's not elite he still makes the team that much better because he is a legit number 1 centre. The article was on puckdaddy arguing that Brian Burke should trade for Getzlaf by any means necessary; Kadri + Colbourne + Kulemin + etc. Because having a #1 at every position is vital and Getzlaf is a number 1.

Is Plekanec a number 1 centre? Does he have a trickle-down effect of eating up minutes, creating opportunites and generating momentum? Can a team get by with three number 2 centres, as some would argue is what the Habs have?

Should the Habs make (any and all) moves to snatch Getzlaf, Richards, Carter or Staal? Would they really make up for the loss of the pieces sent the other way?

I really don't want to lose
Price, Subban, Patches or Eller (in that order) in a trade but maybe we should finally get that god-damned number 1 centre?

tl;dr Do the Habs have a #1 centre? Do they need one? Where/how could they get one and what's the best way?
mostly because while he's a #1 C, he didnt cost the Rangers any assets... I mean, Anaheim isnt doing great with Getzlaf as a #1 simply because they have nothing at #2... if the end result is having #1C, #3C, #3C, #4C... we're in no better position.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:41 AM
Shad

Scott Gomez is our number one paid centre

Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:51 AM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 709
When I look at the Canadiens roster I don't see enough assets that will result in Montreal getting fair value through trades that will make them better. The only thing I think Montreal can do is to trade veteran players for picks. Hold on to good players under 25 and hope to draft well.

Montreal is 3 points from the bottom in the east. Take that and run with it or try and re-tool a la Calgary and dig a deeper hole.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:51 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
I'll say this, if Montreal doesn't get a proper #1 we'll be in same situation as Koivu all over again. A 1B center given too much work. Reality is, if Getzlaf were #1, Plekanec instantly becomes better and has an easier career. The center position has been a major fail in montreal and it needs to be addressed. I'd also like to point out it would be ideal to have a 3rd line center remaining. Thinking of a guy like Eller with some two-way ability in 3rd line spot is excellent.

In a world where we give up no assets(because I can't predict what we'd give up):

Getzlaf
Plekanec
Eller
DD as fill in center for injuries, shake ups, etc.

As offensive centers.

IMO, we're lacking the depth we used to have. Because of this, we can't really make a play for many #1 guys because we'd create holes.

One guy that I think is a winner, a little bit of a whiner but a winner is Mike Richards. I would've loved a Richards+Plekanec+Eller combo although I prefer Getzlaf. Problem is, do we have this sort of package:

Brayden Schenn, Wayne Simmonds and a second-round draft pick in 2012.

The pick? Sure
Simmonds and Schenn. Pacioretty and Eller ish? It's not that bad and i'd do it, but what if they asked for someone else.

All I know is that Getzlaf is a weird option because he's got 1 year left on contract. Richards is signed for life at a good cap and a harder working player.

It annoys me that the habs do not take part in such deals because they DO help and quality>quantity. You need two top 6 centers and while I like DD and Eller, they are not ready and should be complimentary guys who provide secondary offense and great value.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:18 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I mean, Anaheim isnt doing great with Getzlaf as a #1 simply because they have nothing at #2...
However, Getzlaf has 15 even strength points in 39 games compared to Koivu' 15 in 31 games.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:04 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
However, Getzlaf has 15 even strength points in 39 games compared to Koivu' 15 in 31 games.
good for Koivu, but he's on pace for 40 pts or so... as a 2nd line C...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Ginu

Our center situation moving forward

So here's the biggest question I find myself struggling with. What do we do with our centers?

If we get an opportunity to pick top 5, can we really risk not selecting a franchise center?

If we draft a Galchunyek or Grigorenko, what do we do with Plekanec? Do we keep him or trade him for a major piece that we're missing like a top 4 D or a winger prospect?

Do we flip Eller instead? Can we really give him up with his size?

Do we keep both, draft a center, and shift Desharnais to the wing somewhere on the top 3 lines?

Do we keep our current centers and take the risk of not drafting a center?

What do you think? I this is the biggest decision we have to make going forward. You can always draft wingers with size. Centers with size are very hard to come by.

Last edited by Ginu: 01-19-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:41 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Plekanec-DD-Eller is not cup winning center depth.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

IM a big fan of Plekachu, but now its time to move on...

IF you get that big center, there is no doubt in my mind that DD or Eller can do the sec line job

Rscorpio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:03 AM
OneSharpMarble

Plekanec is a nice defensive #2 centre but he is way too inconsistent and does not have the ability to be a true #1. If a good deal is on the table you take it. We need to get a top 5 draft pick this year to really turn the team around quick. Unfortunatly I don't think we have a shot at getting Grigorenko so Galchenyuk is best bet if we can't get a great prospect for Pleks.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:42 AM
bentheprop

Right now our key missing piece is a #1 center. We'd be better off keeping Pleks for now and moving him in a year or 2 once we draft a #1 center if Eller and DD continue to improve.

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 12:50 AM
Et le But

If we somehow draft Grigorenko or Galchenyuk you roll with a Plek, Eller and one of those combos and shift DD to the wing. It's not ideal but Grigorenko at least should be NHL ready. A Desharnais/G or G/Eller tandem is a disaster waiting to happen, if there's any forward you want to have experience it's one of your top 2 Cs.

There are teams that are good offensively without elite Cs. I don't consider Toronto ideal in any way but Kessel and Lupul have been dominant regardless of who is between them. In Boston neither Krejci nor Bergeron are far removed from Plekanec.

I don't want to hate on Desharnais who has been our best C by far lately but when you aren't a PPG player as a centre you need to be able to make up for it defensively. Desharnais plays bigger than he is but between his size and lack of speed compared to Pleks and Eller he will just never be as good defensively, and should be shifted to the wing unless a trade comes up.

Really all the talk about Plekanec being good enough is reminding me far too much of Koivu. Yes, Pleks should be a high end #2, he's getting paid as such and plays like one. But what was our reward again for chasing Koivu out of town because he wasn't good enough? Scott Gomez.

Last edited by Et le But: 01-19-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 07:38 AM
MXD

+ Try to draft a big C. This said, if Jacob Trouba is available, starting from #3, don't reach for a C!!! I'm pretty confident the BPO in this draft is Trouba. That fact alone somewhat makes Subban available (but only for an impact player, or a real bluechip -- think Huberdeau)

+ Do as if Eller will never become anything more than a 3rd C; thus, always slot 2 guys ahead of him. Y'know, it's much better to underplay a guy than to overplay him.

+ Plekanec or DD will eventually have to leave or to be switched to wing. DD is the more likely to be switched; Plekanec is the more likely to leave.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Beakermania*

There is a serious lack of centres here... this is why I don't trade Plekanec.

Yes, he's having a bad year, but we know what he can do in a good year.

As such we should try to find someone to compliment him, preferably a number 2 C with size, than to move him.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote