HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Seriously, how long can Lombardi sit back

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-06-2012, 10:26 PM
  #26
Scrivezina
AMart Jazz Hands!!!
 
Scrivezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RSM, CA
Posts: 2,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I hear ya. But... 6 points from being best in the west. 2 points from 9th. It's going to be this way to the end. "a player or two" isn't suddenly going to make us Vancouver or Chicago.

This team was built to have postseason success and trudge its way with boring (but winning) hockey in the regular season. The last two postseasons, the goaltending has let us down (and defense in general). Again, not anything that can be shored up.

Trades, particularly deadline trades, historically provide very little return. this team, like most in the NHL, is going to live or die the way the way it's built.

- T
Yup, I'd still like to see Iginla in a Kings uni

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:16 AM
  #27
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
I cant see why this is so difficult for some of us to see. The problem *isn't* an issue of our not having enough talent on the team to score more proficiently. The primary reasons that our O is down are really the same reasons that our D is up and they are the fact that our *team D system* is a creation of Stevens and our the fact that DS has kept him so far shows that he (DS) is taking his time evaluating things and will slowly make changes as he sees where they can be made with the greatest amount of impact. (I would FIRE Stevens and watch our O blossom overnight)

We have plenty enough talent to score a bunch of goals every game, the question is do we have enough talent to do so while playing in the kind of D first and at all costs system that we are dedicated to playing under the design of Stevens.

I suppose a secondary reason is that we have yet to find any answer for our top 6 LW troubles and having Gags out forever and the overall inability of Penner to be the 30 goal scorer that he has been under different coaching styles further proves the need for us to do something about the gap. But I don't feel that we absolutely must make a deal to remedy this problem like I have said above, at least not just yet.

The trouble is who and what to give up for that person.

Take a look around the league, we are at the mid point and the sellers aren't as clearly established as they will be by the time the deadline roles around. Do we really want to move a key or core piece (or pieces) to bring in our LW now or do we ride this train and trust that DL knowing that his butt is truly on the line pick up someone at the deadline or better during the offseason?

Also take a look at who might honestly and truthfully be available right now and you aren't likely to see any of the types of players that we want for our long term solutions, not without paying a high price to get them.

We lose Stoll and Penner among others in the offseason so the cap space goes up as well and so does the amount of viable LW options. Do I want to waste this season waiting, especially based on our previous track record during the offseason? Not really but what I want even less is for DL to deal away a couple of talented young roster players along with a top prospect or two to land a UFA rental or for another "might just be the guy" kind of player.

There are so many things to consider when you are trying to fill a team need that we all seem to forget at times that it just isn't worth debating even. Is DL trying to constantly better the team? He damned well better be and I expect he is.

I just don't want another deal for deals sake like we have seen happen the last several years that never work out. If we have to pay a high price to get the perfect fit then that is something different but I can't see us doing something like that.

I see us waiting it out unless we get the kind of deal that falls in line with EXACTLY what we want and need for a price that makes sense OR I see us getting another hack to come in and struggle along with the rest of us.

Change like the kind we are expecting take serious effort and a little time and I am willing to wait for as long as it takes (the rest of this season if need be) for us to make the kind of change that we need.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:26 AM
  #28
Thrice
Coyote Killer
 
Thrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,890
vCash: 500
Fix the Power Play and you're well on your way to fixing the scoring issues. I can't believe how bad Doughty looks QB'ing the #1 PP unit. He's not making plays on the blueline, he's just looking to shoot the puck 90% of the time. Unacceptable.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:50 AM
  #29
Monarchist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I cant see why this is so difficult for some of us to see. The problem *isn't* an issue of our not having enough talent on the team to score more proficiently. The primary reasons that our O is down are really the same reasons that our D is up and they are the fact that our *team D system* is a creation of Stevens and our the fact that DS has kept him so far shows that he (DS) is taking his time evaluating things and will slowly make changes as he sees where they can be made with the greatest amount of impact. (I would FIRE Stevens and watch our O blossom overnight)
True enough but this has nothing to do with the terrible, terrible power play.

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:57 AM
  #30
kingsdarkness
Registered User
 
kingsdarkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Fountain Valley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 409
vCash: 500
You can't rush this, I really don't want the Kings getting screwed because they forced a deal..

kingsdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:27 AM
  #31
Hatter
All about the Bob
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdarkness View Post
You can't rush this, I really don't want the Kings getting screwed because they forced a deal..
You mean as opposed to them getting screwed because they stayed their hand, that was DEAD LAST in the league, and didn't force a deal ?

Just checking.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:14 AM
  #32
Nex06
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
You mean as opposed to them getting screwed because they stayed their hand, that was DEAD LAST in the league, and didn't force a deal ?

Just checking.
1. Kings are not dead last in the league, they actually (barely) hold a playoff spot. Why is that important? Because as stupid as it might sound, Kings have something to lose. Kings don't have the privilege of "We won't get lottery pick, our PO chances are slim, **** it, let's just try something drastic!"

2. Having options open is always important. When you do a big deal, your options close. Personally I don't see need to hurry with anything at the moment. It would be different if all teams were already buying and selling like crazy, because that would mean that options are closing for Lombardi. But at the moment all options are still there, not going away. In fact new options are being created every week, as playoff dreams of some teams are fading away.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:47 AM
  #33
BigBrown
They did it again!
 
BigBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,115
vCash: 500
It takes two to tango, deals aren't done in a vacuum. If there was a deal to be done that wasn't completely one-sided it would have been done already. One lesson I'm sure Lombardi learned from the Penner trade is never trade for a player against your better judgement, even when desperate. I'm gonna sound like a Lombardi spokeperson or something but it's gonna have to be the right deal for the right player. What's the point in trading for a guy if he's gonna have four goals in fifty games?

I'm frustrated as well, this is getting ridiculous but I'm sure Lombardi isn't just sitting on his hands simply hoping for things to work out.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 10:06 AM
  #34
topliner967
Registered User
 
topliner967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Northern Europe
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
I think we've learned that simply bringing in a offensive gifted player doesn't mean that the team is going to all of a sudden have a much better offence. DL has brought in Richards, Gagne and Penner to adress the scoring; I think it's more of a team issue than a roster one.

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:39 PM
  #35
BringTheReign
Registered User
 
BringTheReign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orange County
Country: United States
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 500
Two reasons:

1. A trade doesn't just "happen."

2. The Kings are still winning/getting points. The offense is obviously a problem, but he's got more time to make something happen when the team is at least doing well. He can thank Quick for that.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:47 PM
  #36
The Butcher
Gutless
 
The Butcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The 5
Country: United States
Posts: 2,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I hear ya. But... 6 points from being best in the west. 2 points from 9th. It's going to be this way to the end. "a player or two" isn't suddenly going to make us Vancouver or Chicago.

This team was built to have postseason success and trudge its way with boring (but winning) hockey in the regular season. The last two postseasons, the goaltending has let us down (and defense in general). Again, not anything that can be shored up.

Trades, particularly deadline trades, historically provide very little return. this team, like most in the NHL, is going to live or die the way the way it's built.

- T
Didn't we just recently destroy both of those teams?

Everyone put their pitchfork away for a little longer. I'm seeing big changes in this team slowly but surely. Give the new coach a little more time on this home stand to actually do some coaching.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:51 PM
  #37
Hatter
All about the Bob
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
1. Kings are not dead last in the league, they actually (barely) hold a playoff spot.
As this thread isn't about standings, I wasn't referring to standings. I was referring to point production. As it stands today the Kings are DEAD LAST with....... Now brace yourself....... 85 Goals in 41 games. nope, you didn't read that wrong. that is a paultry 2.03 GF/G. At the other end of the spectrum, mind you, is Boston with a buck thirty five in thirty seven. Check it out ( http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...ype=0&sort=404 )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Why is that important? Because as stupid as it might sound, Kings have something to lose. Kings don't have the privilege of "We won't get lottery pick, our PO chances are slim, **** it, let's just try something drastic!"
Funny, that is exactly my argument. If are offense remains as anemic as it is can you imagine the repercussions if Quick plays like a human for 5-10 games and, say, lets in 2-4 goals over a stretch? It would be catastrophic. We are arguing the same argument just from two different sides. The argument being "Because as stupid as it might sound, Kings have something to lose." And I concur, the only difference is that my faith isn't set firmly in the camp of "lets just wait and see." Listen the Kings could go 8-1-1 in their next 10 with 12 GF and 8 GA. and I'd still be critical. I admit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
2. Having options open is always important. When you do a big deal, your options close. Personally I don't see need to hurry with anything at the moment. It would be different if all teams were already buying and selling like crazy, because that would mean that options are closing for Lombardi. But at the moment all options are still there, not going away. In fact new options are being created every week, as playoff dreams of some teams are fading away.
See, once again I see your point but I disagree. I prefer the proactive approach that is addressing the needs of the team (one so flamingly obvious) and not waiting for the biding wars that are certainly going to come when the wheat is separated from the chaff. we know the Kings track record with aquiring top talent in situations like that. That is all I am saying. I can't b the only person that sees this.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:52 PM
  #38
Hatter
All about the Bob
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
Didn't we just recently destroy both of those teams?
Destroy?

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:53 PM
  #39
The Black1963
Grit & Character
 
The Black1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,293
vCash: 500
This thread would have been more appropriate when TM was here, not now with DS. Granted, our offense is still dismal but heck, we're racking up points and moving up in the standings.

Besides, I have faith in DL that he will make the move(s) when necessary.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:53 PM
  #40
Hatter
All about the Bob
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
Two reasons:

1. A trade doesn't just "happen."

2. The Kings are still winning/getting points. The offense is obviously a problem, but he's got more time to make something happen when the team is at least doing well. He can thank Quick for that.
1. You don't say...
2. I've addressed this repeatedly.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:59 PM
  #41
The Butcher
Gutless
 
The Butcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The 5
Country: United States
Posts: 2,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Destroy?
Yeah I'd say so. Definitely the Vancouver game I thought the Kings clearly looked like the better team for the majority of the game.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:05 PM
  #42
Chazz Reinhold
Registered User
 
Chazz Reinhold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Stanley Cup
Country: United States
Posts: 6,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
Didn't we just recently destroy both of those teams?

Everyone put their pitchfork away for a little longer. I'm seeing big changes in this team slowly but surely. Give the new coach a little more time on this home stand to actually do some coaching.
Beating Chicago and Vancouver once each doesn't mean the Kings are suddenly one of the best teams in the league. I think Tony's comment was regarding the Kings being up with those teams consistently. They have yet to do that.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:12 PM
  #43
DontgoZiggy
Registered User
 
DontgoZiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 1,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Really? You believe that there is no reason not to give it a little more time? There has been no significant change n production since DS has taken over and I don't consider the fact that Quick and solid defense is stealing them games any reason to not go out and pursue proper offensive production. Times over. There are, what, 6 points separating the PAC div? Can we really stand to lose any more one goal games and risk not securing a playoff spot? In your mind, and arguably Deans, I guess the answer is yes.

You also bring up a valid point. Many of the players are on pace for ****** years even MORE a reason to shake something up. Hell, as dean sees it they have already cost a coach his job and yet nothing is changing. How bout getting rid of the captain and JJ, say hickey and or Penner and Brown and AMart(I don't feel like debating the names just making a point) to shake up the room and get s,e fresh blood in there. There has got to be a way to get our point production out of the facking cellar and lighting a fire under our players ***** ASAP. There is no time, here IMHO.

Just my .02

I wouldn't be against a trade to change things up a bit. But we want to bring in the right guys. I don't know if I could stand another Penner on the team. Iginla's name gets thrown about a lot. But his age concerns me. We had an ancient legend winger here last year earning big bucks, but he wasn't lighting the place up.

Who would you like to see brought in and for who? Personally I'd give it another week or two to see if our guys can pot a few more under sutter.

DontgoZiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:43 PM
  #44
The Butcher
Gutless
 
The Butcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The 5
Country: United States
Posts: 2,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Beating Chicago and Vancouver once each doesn't mean the Kings are suddenly one of the best teams in the league. I think Tony's comment was regarding the Kings being up with those teams consistently. They have yet to do that.
Sorry if I was implying that, I'm certainly not trying to say we've "made it" but, to me, it feels like we are back on the right track under our new coach.

The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:46 PM
  #45
Chazz Reinhold
Registered User
 
Chazz Reinhold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Stanley Cup
Country: United States
Posts: 6,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
Sorry if I was implying that, I'm certainly not trying to say we've "made it" but, to me, it feels like we are back on the right track under our new coach.
I agree. The offense is what's holding them back at this point.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:11 PM
  #46
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,660
vCash: 500
I honestly believe we are going to see the offense start to produce more. Their puck possession time has increased a ton since Sutter took over, now they just need to start picking the corners instead of shooting the damn puck right at the crest of the goaltender. There has been a ton more "net presence" since Sutter took over.

With that said, yes, DL needs to improve on the bottom 6 and perhaps get that elite sniper this team desperately needs.

Winger23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:36 AM
  #47
Hatter
All about the Bob
 
Hatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ojai, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 2,862
vCash: 500
Just came home from a beautiful ride up the coast on my bike and and watched the game.

Quick lost 1-0.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:03 AM
  #48
Face Wash
Registered User
 
Face Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,264
vCash: 500
No creativity...no chances being taken offensively...no traffic in front...no goals. Sorry folks, we've been sold a bill of goods by Lombardi. This is the most boring, frustrating team in franchise history. A trade is not going to help them unless they get Tommy Holmstrom (pipe dream). They're clearly coached not to take chances offensively that will hurt them on the defensive side of the puck. The hiring of Sutter is a microcosm of Lombardi's style. Instead of taking a chance on a young coach, he keeps this boring, plodding slowdown approach that will get them no where in the long run. Lombardi is hardly a chance taker. I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the job Lombardi is doing and frankly they've got to stop interviewing Sutter for TV. He comes off as a complete dimwit. Whether he knows the game or not he sounds like Rocky Balboa on downers, further adding to the frustration of watching this team play.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:39 AM
  #49
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!
 
Knight of the Realm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Westeros
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 5,168
vCash: 500
I don't mind having a sound defensive system and a great goalie.

I don't even blame the system entirely.

Can't remember a team so snake bit. Williams, Brown, Penner, Stoll, and Gagne wont net 40 goals but I expected at least 20 from each of them.

The power play is the difference maker hear. To me the Kings are just holding on too long, are indecisive and/or trying to be to fancy.

Penner is a complete failure and I can't wait for him to be gone. Gagne might be done for good.

If not a trade at least bring up a guy from Manch.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:44 AM
  #50
lakings41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
No creativity...no chances being taken offensively...no traffic in front...no goals. Sorry folks, we've been sold a bill of goods by Lombardi. This is the most boring, frustrating team in franchise history. A trade is not going to help them unless they get Tommy Holmstrom (pipe dream). They're clearly coached not to take chances offensively that will hurt them on the defensive side of the puck. The hiring of Sutter is a microcosm of Lombardi's style. Instead of taking a chance on a young coach, he keeps this boring, plodding slowdown approach that will get them no where in the long run. Lombardi is hardly a chance taker. I'm thoroughly unimpressed with the job Lombardi is doing and frankly they've got to stop interviewing Sutter for TV. He comes off as a complete dimwit. Whether he knows the game or not he sounds like Rocky Balboa on downers, further adding to the frustration of watching this team play.
Sums it up perfectly!

I've given away most of my tickets this year and it obviously won't stop. This team is ****ing pathetic! Lots of hard earned money goes into these guys and for what? So, I can fall asleep at a hockey game.....unheard of!


Last edited by lakings41: 01-08-2012 at 11:25 AM.
lakings41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.