HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#40 Blues host Oilers

Old
01-06-2012, 10:58 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
No denigrating of Backes intended. He's easily an impact player for the Blues night in and night out. I didn't vote in the Blues best forward poll but in a very close race I'd probably lean Backes. Just more of a declarative statement, it's funny how he's gotten a boost from those situations when he works so hard and seems to even get frequent breakaways lately (that don't get converted).

I do think he's gotta be aware he didn't touch it (like the Oilers fan said on the replay that feed showed it wasn't even debatably close) so I do wonder why he wouldn't say something. He doesn't need it for a contract or anything, but the extra assist individual got shorted (and obviously goals are nicer than assists for Petro).

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:52 PM
Fred Murtz

vCash: 500
Eager hit on Jackman

Perron BS high sticking call

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Fred Murtz

PocketNines, I went back and looked at the video with my video editing software and it appears you are right. You can't see the puck when it gets tipped in the videos I posted (Backes blocks the view) but Backes' stick appears to be too far from the puck to have tipped it. Sutton's stick is right where the puck travels so the NHL got it wrong.

Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:41 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Love how Langenbrunner goes right after Eager. I really hope if they can't find a place for someone like him on the team next year that the younger Blues are taking notes about how to stand up for teammates.

It's often overused to talk about intangibles but those two guys are really performing given the roles they've been asked to play.

Here's how the Blues forwards produce points on a per-minute basis thus far this season (with the exception of McDonald, obviously):

1. Perron – 20.7
2. McDonald – 23.2 (last season)
3. Oshie – 27.9
4. Arnott – 28.4
5. Backes – 29.2
6. Steen – 29.3
7. D’Agostini – 36.7
8. Langenbrunner – 36.9
9. Stewart – 38.2
10. Berglund – 42.0 (actually was 36.9 his sophomore slump year)
11. Sobotka – 44.8
12. Grachev – 55.9
13. Nichol – 120.4

You can see the value of Arnott and Langenbrunner even though they play limited minutes.

Old
01-07-2012, 01:57 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
PocketNines, I went back and looked at the video with my video editing software and it appears you are right. You can't see the puck when it gets tipped in the videos I posted (Backes blocks the view) but Backes' stick appears to be too far from the puck to have tipped it. Sutton's stick is right where the puck travels so the NHL got it wrong.
Did it cost Oshie an assist? Seems like that's the most likely player who gave it to Colaiacovo before he shipped it to Petro.

Old
01-07-2012, 02:17 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Did it cost Oshie an assist? Seems like that's the most likely player who gave it to Colaiacovo before he shipped it to Petro.
It would have been Oshie with the secondary assist, yes.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:36 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
It would have been Oshie with the secondary assist, yes.
Funny, they'd be tied for the team lead in points with 27 then. Oshie probably wants every point he can get in a contract year.

Old
01-07-2012, 03:24 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Funny, they'd be tied for the team lead in points with 27 then. Oshie probably wants every point he can get in a contract year.
Couldn't hurt, but I think the team is probably more concerned with how he's playing and conducting himself. I can't imagine the Blues don't like what they've seen from him this year.

If he keeps it up, he'll get the contract he wants. Somewhere between Steen's and Backes' would be my guess depending on how the numbers stack up at the end of the year. Personally, I'm betting he's much closer to Backes' contract...and I think that contract will be a steal a few more years down the road.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote