HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers possible weakness to Western Conference Teams?

Old
01-07-2012, 03:35 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

vCash: 500
Rangers possible weakness to Western Conference Teams?

So, it's wonderful that we're 21-6-2 in the east. The closest to our record in that regard is Boston with 19-7-0.

Against the west though, It's a different story. We're only 5-3-2. My first instinct is to point out the small sample size, and our poor start playing western teams.

Those two overtime/SO losses came in the first two games of the season, which easily could have gone either way, which would have left us with a much prettier looking 7-3-0. But they didn't.

We lost back to back games to the Stars (1-0) and the Blues (4-1). Earlier in the season we dropped a game to Edmonton (2-0). It's worth noting that the Edmonton game was early in the season, before the team looked like the same team they do now.

We beat Vancouver 4-0, but I think we all remember that game looking a lot different than the score indicates. Hank stole 2 periods, and our guys won the 3rd. It wasn't very pretty

The Ducks took us to a shootout, which we managed to win, so while it goes down as a win, it's the 3rd time we were unable to put a California team away in Regulation.

Calgary we beat with Mac's last second OT goal. Again, unable to win against a Western team in Reg.

The 'Yotes game we managed to win in regulation, but with the latest goal ever recorded in the NHL. I don't think it's tough to imagine that play happening a hundredth of a second later, and that game going wrong in OT.

Finally, the only game in which we unarguably outplayed a team from the West was the Sharks game, which we won 5-2. It was the game that really launched this team into a rhythm, propelled by herculean effort from Callahan and Girardi. The irony here is of course Jumbo's post game comments.

I didn't intend to break down our entire season thus far VS the west, but i got into a bit of a rhythm. Still, it's worth noting our struggles vs Western teams. Opinions?

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:44 AM
Snow Soccer

Wouldn't really sweat it. But yeah we did steal that Vancouver game...We were pretty much dominated but somehow won 4-0. Kind of awesome

Snow Soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:45 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2940
I think it's because of your third sentence. The beginning of the season was a completely different Ranger team. I also think the organization does a better job scouting teams we play often, i.e. the East.

01-07-2012, 03:56 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I think it's because of your third sentence. The beginning of the season was a completely different Ranger team. I also think the organization does a better job scouting teams we play often, i.e. the East.
Also, there's this thing called sample size.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:59 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Also, there's this thing called sample size.
Be fair. I mentioned that in the 2nd line of the post.

Old
01-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Be fair. I mentioned that in the 2nd line of the post.
I missed that, but you still deserved it. This is a ridiculous issue to be complaining about at this point.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 04:47 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
I missed that, but you still deserved it. This is a ridiculous issue to be complaining about at this point.
I don't really think I'm complaining; I tend to be one of the most optimistic posters, ever during dark days. Even more I'm not making a real argument for one position or another, I'm just throwing some information out there. The fact is, despite being 1st in the NHL, we've lost more games to the West than we've won.

I'm not one of those that thinks the West is a much better conference. I do think they tend to be a larger conference. It's been suggested that the Rangers are one of the smaller teams in the league, despite having one of the toughest playing styles.

Something I overlooked was the location of games played. The only 2 games played against the West at Home for us was the SO win over the Ducks and the SJS win. We had a miserable start, but perhaps the travel takes it toll playing against physical teams?

I'm not arguing one way or another. I'm looking for theories as to why. It's like science.

Old
01-07-2012, 07:43 AM
NYRSkate

The only way to know for sure is to play a Western team four to seven times in June.

NYRSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:42 AM
ecemleafs

how many of them were road games? 2 in sweden, 1 or 2 in pacific time, 3 in mountain time, 3 central? 5 of those games came when we had one of the most ridiculous starts and travel schedule in the history of the nhl.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
how many of them were road games? 2 in sweden, 1 or 2 in pacific time, 3 in mountain time, 3 central? 5 of those games came when we had one of the most ridiculous starts and travel schedule in the history of the nhl.
I realized that after posting, made note of it about 2 posts above yours.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Giacomin

I know you said you tend to be optimistic. So why worry about it since I am sure that if the Rangers end up going far in the playoffs our scouts will have done their job. This post is unnecesary for this time of the season and would be better revisited in the Spring. As someone who has watched the Rangers for almost 40 years this team is a special team who will be up for the task of beating anyone in a 7 game series.
LGR!

Giacomin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 11:59 AM
rickyrod

I don't think it's the Western teams as much as it is just trouble with speedy teams. The Blues loss was hard to take, but they were on a roll with a new coach, got a few jammy goals and then just played a shut down game. We always have weird kind of throw away games in St. Louis anyway, even when we win.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Agreed. The only thing the Rangers need to be worried about at this point is staying healthy.

01-07-2012, 01:16 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Sample size and the odd schedule to start the season. It's a non-issue for me at this point.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:30 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
2 seasons ago we had 1 win against teh western conference.

Today, less than half way through the season we have 5 wins.

I would not count this as a weakness on any level.

None.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Soccer View Post
Wouldn't really sweat it. But yeah we did steal that Vancouver game...We were pretty much dominated but somehow won 4-0. Kind of awesome
The sign of a good team with lots of intangibles.

The intangibles will be a common refrain in discussions regarding the Rangers because they are difficult to get arms around.

In the end, the path of least resistance will be to right our success off to Hank. That's an easy explanation and a big but not total truth.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:35 PM
jniklast

The mediocre start certainly was a different Rangers team, so the already small sample size might also be skewed. I'd wait until more games are played before declaring it a weakness.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote