HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

If Brett Hull Played For Canada...

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2005, 12:33 PM
JaykaShman

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JaykaShman
If Brett Hull Played For Canada...

If Brett Hull played for Team Canada in international events, does he make the team in Nagano? Salt Lake? The World Cup team? If so, who does he replace?

Off the top of my head I'd say he'd replace Rob Zamuner in 98.. but I still can't remember why Zamuner was there anyways.

Old
12-05-2005, 12:59 PM
John Flyers Fan

Team Canada from 1998 gets a bad rap. They played better as a whole than the 2002 team.

2002 was a bit fortunate that they missed having to play Sweden in the elimination round, and the 98 team was unfortunate that they ran into a goalie playing the best stretch of hockey ever seen (Hasek 96-00) in a one game elimination.

Old
12-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Team Canada from 1998 gets a bad rap. They played better as a whole than the 2002 team.

2002 was a bit fortunate that they missed having to play Sweden in the elimination round, and the 98 team was unfortunate that they ran into a goalie playing the best stretch of hockey ever seen (Hasek 96-00) in a one game elimination.

I've still never seen a goalie dominate like that since.

Old
12-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

Give me a break! Sweden won a game against Canada when they didnt even know each other. No way Sweden beats Canada in the semi finals. Canada got better every game and they stomped the US in the Gold Medal game. And as for the '98 team they had rotten offense. But if oyu have Corson, Linden, Zamuner on your team I guess you will. Besides in every tournament I'll always bet the farm that Swden chokes, cause theyt always do (think '98, '02 and '04).

Anyways, if Hull was on Canada in '96 Canada would have won. It was Hull's goal that tied it in Game 3. he had two goals that night. By '98 Hull still was a potent sniper and would have made the team. Woudl they have won I dont know? But by '02 he was a shadow of his former self, and I cant see him replacing anyone on Team Canada.

Old
12-09-2005, 05:42 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
Give me a break! Sweden won a game against Canada when they didnt even know each other. No way Sweden beats Canada in the semi finals. Canada got better every game and they stomped the US in the Gold Medal game. And as for the '98 team they had rotten offense. But if oyu have Corson, Linden, Zamuner on your team I guess you will. Besides in every tournament I'll always bet the farm that Swden chokes, cause theyt always do (think '98, '02 and '04).

Anyways, if Hull was on Canada in '96 Canada would have won. It was Hull's goal that tied it in Game 3. he had two goals that night. By '98 Hull still was a potent sniper and would have made the team. Woudl they have won I dont know? But by '02 he was a shadow of his former self, and I cant see him replacing anyone on Team Canada.
yeah, Hull's goal tied it, and then the US just ripped apart canada from the seems and destroyed them.

Old
12-09-2005, 10:04 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Brett Hull would have easily made '96 and '98 IMO. He was too old for 2002 though.

He wouldn't have replaced Zamuner though, since they brought Zamuner over many more talented players for a reason

Old
12-09-2005, 11:24 AM
nikebauer

Send a message via MSN to nikebauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil

Agreed with Zamuner and Corson, but Linden is definitely not weak defensively

Old
12-09-2005, 12:16 PM
habs_24x

if i remember correctly, Hull was at a Canadian Olympic tryout long ago and was cut. He then got upset and tried out for the US team and the rest is history...
i think thats how it played out...

Old
12-11-2005, 06:36 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x
if i remember correctly, Hull was at a Canadian Olympic tryout long ago and was cut. He then got upset and tried out for the US team and the rest is history...

That's what I heard. I was under the impression that he was bitter for not making the team and took advantage of his dual citizenship.

Old
12-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu
That's what I heard. I was under the impression that he was bitter for not making the team and took advantage of his dual citizenship.
Yeah, that's how it started, but he's also lived in the US pretty much his entire adult life so he was also sticking with the US because it was his home in addition to being loyal for giving him a shot years back. He's living in Dallas since retiring because he can play golf year-round.

Old
12-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

the only thing bitter is canadians who whine that he is a traitor. There would be no whining if he wasn't good. It is just petty jelousy.

Old
12-16-2005, 08:09 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaykaShman
Off the top of my head I'd say he'd replace Rob Zamuner in 98.. but I still can't remember why Zamuner was there anyways.
So Bobby Clarke could scout a player he was considering for the Flyers.

Old
12-16-2005, 08:11 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaykaShman
If Brett Hull played for Team Canada in international events, does he make the team in Nagano? Salt Lake? The World Cup team? If so, who does he replace?

for the same reason Kirk Maltby played for Canada in the recent World Cup.

Old
12-17-2005, 02:52 PM
BigStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
the only thing bitter is canadians who whine that he is a traitor. There would be no whining if he wasn't good. It is just petty jelousy.

i agree! he tried for the canadian team and they cut him. the US said come try for us....and he made it...no biggie

Old
12-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Human Bean
holy frijoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs_24x
It was the junior team.

Old
12-19-2005, 11:03 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater
I've still never seen a goalie dominate like that since.
I still think that was probably the best duel of the goaltenders. Patrick Roy did play amazing during those Olympics, and Hasek was just amazing.

Closed Thread