HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re-alignment: The good, the bad, the ugly

Old
12-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Legionnaire11

vCash: 500
Doesn't facing the same teams give us a better chance? Familiarity and all. I like the odds better in this setup. Would you all be comfortable with playing Columbus every year in the first round? Don't you think they would give us a tough series every time, and occasionally come out on top?

And what's the big deal, so far we've faced Detroit, Chicago and San Jose every year except for one. So it's not like the current setup is vastly superior.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:57 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Doesn't facing the same teams give us a better chance? Familiarity and all. I like the odds better in this setup. Would you all be comfortable with playing Columbus every year in the first round? Don't you think they would give us a tough series every time, and occasionally come out on top?

And what's the big deal, so far we've faced Detroit, Chicago and San Jose every year except for one. So it's not like the current setup is vastly superior.
Columbus would never win a series with us. They suck, will always suck, no matter where, when etc.

The new set up basically guarantees that Detroit and Chicago will make the playoffs every year and most likely face each other in the next round almost exclusively, something that the league would love.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:41 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Columbus would never win a series with us. They suck, will always suck, no matter where, when etc.

The new set up basically guarantees that Detroit and Chicago will make the playoffs every year and most likely face each other in the next round almost exclusively, something that the league would love.
or maybe detroit starts to slip when lidstrom retires. or when age catches up to them like it looks like it is doing with zetterburg already. yeah, shortterm, detroit will be in the mix, but their skill guys aren't the youngest anyore.

chicago is a whole nother story. they have good young reinforcememnts for years and their core is young and under contract. as long as they can continue to find a cheap bottom six and bottom pair, they will be at the top.

in this conference right now it is chicago, everyone else, then columbus.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Here's the problem with that theory. Detroit is always going to be competative and probably top of the confrence due to their unlimited money coming in. When their players retire, they will be aggressive in finding the right replacements. Players will want to play for them because of the logo on their sweater on the legacy that comes with it. Sadly, that's the truth.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:03 PM
token grinder

Quote:
Here's the problem with that theory. Detroit is always going to be competative and probably top of the confrence due to their unlimited money coming in. When their players retire, they will be aggressive in finding the right replacements. Players will want to play for them because of the logo on their sweater on the legacy that comes with it. Sadly, that's the truth.
I disagree. You can see many holes that money will not fix. next year half the D is ufa. after next year they will have to pay howard. zetterburg 6 million is going to be around longer than they are going to want. the young guys will get raises-kronwall this and howard next. hudler is a ufa this and filipula next. alot of this old, we know the way of winning will be gone soon-lidstrom, holmstrom.

now I know they will replace some guys. I think that the money that datsyuk, franzen, zetterburg, and franzen now make hampers them in being aggressive in finding a replacement for missing pieces. they won't get filipula's production at the price he is on the ufa market. when lidstrom retires, they will be able to add a big peice. before, because those guys were on elc or rfa deals, they could go get a rafalski, a hossa. not anymore. Just like Chicago, they are going to have to piece together a bottom six and bottom 3 d-men with kids and guys close to the minimum/close to the end of their careers.

I guess I remember them before the Russian five got there. they sucked. that is the legacy I like to remember. Detroit will be with us, dallas, minny, peg and stl fighting every year for the right to play in the postseason

Old
12-30-2011, 12:06 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Using your theory the Leafs, Rangers, and Habs should dominate every single season because of their logo and cash flow. Every team goes through dry spells. The Wings went through one that lasted decades. Just because they've been successful with Holland, Bowman, and Hitchcock does not guarantee future success.

Empires rise ... and they fall. Nobody fears the once great Oilers or Islanders right now. The destined to make the playoffs every season Blues are a thing of the past. If the current situation were destined to continue into the future, there would be no need to play the seasons.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:55 PM
NoNecksCurse

I agree with the above of sentiments...

however I don't see CHI or DET falling anywhere out of the top in the next 3-4 years.. just too many good pieces. but if we lock up our big 3 and get a little offensive help, we should be just as good if not better. thats a big if, though. the pieces are there.. and we do have youth. we haven't hit our ceiling.. everyone knows DET is old and they will eventually falter (if only a little).. see the braves in MLB .. lakers in NBA .. colts in NFL .. etc. long term this division is a crap shoot.. but for the next couple of years, I dont like our chances. but who knows

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:31 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

NHLPA refuses realignment proposal

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610343

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
NHLPA refuses realignment proposal

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610343
Welcome to 2012 nhl lockout/strike

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:44 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
Welcome to 2012 nhl lockout/strike
The players are committing financial suicide if they push it to a strike or lockout situation and even Fehr knows it. Welcome to the posturing.

The NHLPA has until 15 MAY to submit a written termination of the current deal or it rolls over for another year.

Last edited by 101st_fan: 01-06-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: corrected date ... 120 days prior to 15 SEP, not 180
101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

So since they're not doing the new alignment, will they at least fix Winnipeg? Are we back in the mix to be re-aligned?

I would honestly prefer simply going to the SE over the new alignment, anyway.

But I guess since they have to start making next year's schedule, that means Winnipeg gets passed over again.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Damn, the only thing I didn't really love was the playoff thing where only four in a division make it, other then that it was solid. Eastern teams shouldn't complain about travel.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Damn, the only thing I didn't really love was the playoff thing where only four in a division make it, other then that it was solid. Eastern teams shouldn't complain about travel.
not the teams that were complaining ... I heard/read it was FL/TB, Vancouver & Winterpeg

Old
01-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
not the teams that were complaining ... I heard/read it was FL/TB, Vancouver & Winterpeg
Mmm. Makes sense, the Florida thing was pretty weird.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:49 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
So since they're not doing the new alignment, will they at least fix Winnipeg? Are we back in the mix to be re-aligned?

I would honestly prefer simply going to the SE over the new alignment, anyway.

But I guess since they have to start making next year's schedule, that means Winnipeg gets passed over again.
thats exactly what the league said, is that everything will stay the same for next year, including Winnipeg staying in the SE.

Im actually glad... gives us another year to win a Central division title before there is no more Central division...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:55 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Im happy about this, I hated it

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:35 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I was getting hopeful to be in the same "conference" as Dallas. I like our little rivalry that is growing. Even though our little one with Anaheim is fun too.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 06:24 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
I'm wonderin if this isn't all just a chess match. Nhl proposes system they expect to get rejected. League expresses mock exasperation. Next move coming is the idea of adding two more teams, which is where they were heading all along. .

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Fix the unbalanced conferences and I will be happy. This was a deeply flawed system even though the rivalry aspect was very intriguing.

01-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The players are committing financial suicide if they push it to a strike or lockout situation and even Fehr knows it. Welcome to the posturing.

The NHLPA has until 15 MAY to submit a written termination of the current deal or it rolls over for another year.
He's killed one league thanks to it.... why not a 2nd? I'd be surprised if they don't terminate it.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:02 PM
token grinder

there was a player interview i read, kronall i think, say many didn't like the playoff format

Old
01-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Fix the unbalanced conferences and I will be happy. This was a deeply flawed system even though the rivalry aspect was very intriguing.
add or subtract ... it's that easy ... that's why they wanted this new conference system so that it would be easier to do either. (contraction/relocation or expansion)

Old
01-07-2012, 01:52 PM
deanwormer

I liked the geography of the proposal mostly, but not the PO format. The one thing right now is that we get the best teams in - with the new proposal much too easy for one Div (or Conf) to have 6 of the 8 better teams and 2 inferior teams get in. Plus - 7 teams from the 2 east Div/Confs not right from fan or player perspective.

Future needs to fix travel like the proposal did, but gotta' make the PO qualification fair. With the proposed Div/Conf -centric schedule it's tough; might just be better going North and South conferences each having an east and west Div - top 2 from each Div in and then next 4 best regardless of Div.

Let the players think on that - they all travel like Cbus and Det have been doing, no more cozy schedule where half the games are a train-ride on game day away.

Or they could just put that team in Hamilton with that Billionaire great potential owner and find one more southern city to educate about hockey.....

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote