HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you willing to give Gomez another chance?

View Poll Results: Are you willing to give Gomez another chance?
Yes, i think he can help this team if he's on his game 98 38.28%
No, trade him, wave him, I don't care. He's dead to me. 158 61.72%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-07-2012, 02:17 PM
lou4gehrig

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Think Brian Campbell. How do Chicago's fans feel right now?
Actually don't think Brian Campbell. Campbell was still a good player, who happened to have a huge contract. And they were trying to sign their young stars, so they traded him.

You should actually think Jeff Finger or Wade Redden to be more accurate.

A team like the Rangers at least admits their mistakes early and just eat the contract. As a result they were able to sign Brad Richards and have the most points in the NHL.

We're a high revenue team. Let's just admit a mistake and dump the player (same for Gionta (trade) and Camm (trade) instead of waiting years and years for everything to turn out perfectly.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Cyclones Rock

According to many of the "micro stat" dudes, Gomez is still a very effective player.

As such, he's a valuable trading commodity and the Canadiens should showcase him to the many teams who can't wait to improve their puck possession stats.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Of course I'd welcome him back. He'll help this team regardless of what game he brings. Give him a couple of big bodies (Cole, Pacioretty?) and he'll produce. Also, the guy can finally skate through the neutral zone and set up shop in the opposing zone during powerplay.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:31 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
According to many of the "micro stat" dudes, Gomez is still a very effective player.

As such, he's a valuable trading commodity and the Canadiens should showcase him to the many teams who can't wait to improve their puck possession stats.
No way !

No one will take this contract.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:36 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
No way !

No one will take this contract.
My post was completely sarcastic. I'm amazed anyone believes this guy can still be an effective player. He's done, finished, cooked, over-the-hill, etc.

Most players are finished by the time that they're 35. Gomez happened to be done when he turned 30. Only an insider would know why that's the case.

Old
01-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
My post was completely sarcastic. I'm amazed anyone believes this guy can still be an effective player. He's done, finished, cooked, over-the-hill, etc.

Most players are finished by the time that they're 35. Gomez happened to be done when he turned 30. Only an insider would know why that's the case.
Oh insider please enlighten us with your knowledge

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Are you willing to give Gomez another chance?

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

If we get rid of him we get nothing. In a trade we might even have to sweeten the deal with a pick or draft choice. And I'll be real peeved if we have to throw good futures away to unload this albatross named Gomez. Sending him to Hamilton seems like such a waste. And if one of our centers goes down with an injury we really have no one in Hamilton. Some smart a$$ GM might take him at half salary if he has to go through waivers.

So the obvious answer is we play him. But where? I want him nowhere near the top three centre positions. Pleks, DD & Eller can all outplay him in their sleep.

How about wing? Again where? We demote Patches, Cole, Gionta, Cammy, AK to the 4th line? The obvious yet completely wrong answer would be Moen. But Moen AK & Eller have shown to have chemistry and production when left together.

So, we're left with the fourth line. Even I, a complete Gomez hater, would not place Gomez on the fourth line. You're putting him there to fail. He's not a fourth line player - not even in his best days.

So we're caught in quite a conundrum. That's why I said 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.

I really don't want him on the team next year. He's a waste of space & cap hit. Ideally, the rest of this year I would like to put him in a situation where it'll be impossible for him to fail (give him a taco stand) where we can show he's not a total waste and then trade him in the off season - even for a bucket of rhinoceros summer pucks. Better yet at the trade deadline but good luck with that.

Last edited by Habs Icing: 01-07-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:49 PM
gusfring

You're delusional if you think he's even remotely trade able right now.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:52 PM
habitue*

Where do you play him ?

I am sure he wants to be back at center. Who do you demote to the 4th line ?

... Unless Pleks is traded away for a productive winger... ????

Old
01-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Where do you play him ?

The big problem IMO is the only spot available would be Desharnais spot. But you know how many people would have hissy fits? Again IMO, Gomez on his game would be more valuable then DD can be on a top line role.

Old
01-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
I said "Only an insider". I'm not an insider, so I wouldn't know. Capiche?

Old
01-07-2012, 03:06 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
I'd guess he's finished at 30 because he's not a physical specimen. He's a skilled player naturally, but unlike somebody like a Mats Sundin or a Pronger he can't continue to play at high level using physical abilities alone.

Old
01-07-2012, 03:10 PM
habitue*

Quote:
The big problem IMO is the only spot available would be Desharnais spot. But you know how many people would have hissy fits? Again IMO, Gomez on his game would be more valuable then DD can be on a top line role.
For good reasons. The guy is producing.

Old
01-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
I'd guess he's finished at 30 because he's not a physical specimen. He's a skilled player naturally, but unlike somebody like a Mats Sundin or a Pronger he can't continue to play at high level using physical abilities alone.
Selanne says hi

Old
01-07-2012, 03:17 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
I'm pretty sure the first people to have hissy fits would be his linemates. Many players have praised Desharnais and rightly so, the only thing Gomez has on him is speed trough the neutral zone. Desharnais has better vision and offensive instincts, he's just as good if not better on faceoffs, he's able to shoot a puck and he hustles.

When is the last time Gomez has been considerably more useful/productive as Desharnais is right now? 2007-2008? Sure the Devils' Gomez would be more valuable than DD on a top line and so would Jean Beliveau on his game.

Point is Gomez now sucks and unless he comes back with tremendous confidence and ability he has no place in the lineup. The only reason he's not waived is because he's an additional body on a team with very shallow depth and because he's injured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig
I disagree. While perhaps he didn't put enough effort in conditioning I think his worse problem is his glaring lack of creativity and failure to improve his game over the years. He's peaked early and is now regressing every year.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 01-07-2012 at 03:27 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:22 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Selanne says hi
Selanne is built like a wiry athlete. He's 6' 200. He has a common build for a hockey player.

Gomez is built like a normal guy. His build is atypical for an NHL player.

Sorry, poor comparison.

Old
01-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
I'm pretty sure the first to have hissy fits would be his linemates.

When is the last time Gomez has been considerably more useful/productive as Desharnais is right now? 2007-2008? Sure the Devils' Gomez would be more valuable than DD on a top line and so would Jean Beliveau on his game.

Point is Gomez now sucks and unless he comes back with tremendous confidence and ability he has no place in the lineup. The only reason he's not waived is because he's an additional body on a team with very shallow depth and because he's injured.
Do you guys all have short memories or what? Wasn't Gomez-Gionta-Pacioretty our hottest line before patches injury? Last year?

Old
01-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Selanne is built like a wiry athlete. He's 6' 200. He has a common build for a hockey player.

Gomez is built like a normal guy. His build is atypical for an NHL player.

Sorry, poor comparison.
Ok, Recchi?

Old
01-07-2012, 03:31 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Do you guys all have short memories or what? Wasn't Gomez-Gionta-Pacioretty our hottest line before patches injury? Last year?
Yeah Gomez leached a few assists from them. Gomez wasn't driving that line at all. It was also for a short stretch. Not really better than Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole for instance, perhaps not as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice
Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

If we get rid of him we get nothing. In a trade we might even have to sweeten the deal with a pick or draft choice. And I'll be real peeved if we have to throw good futures away to unload this albatross named Gomez. Sending him to Hamilton seems like such a waste. And if one of our centers goes down with an injury we really have no one in Hamilton. Some smart a$$ GM might take him at half salary if he has to go through waivers.

So the obvious answer is we play him. But where? I want him nowhere near the top three centre positions. Pleks, DD & Eller can all outplay him in their sleep.

How about wing? Again where? We demote Patches, Cole, Gionta, Cammy, AK to the 4th line? The obvious yet completely wrong answer would be Moen. But Moen AK & Eller have shown to have chemistry and production when left together.

So, we're left with the fourth line. Even I, a complete Gomez hater, would not place Gomez on the fourth line. You're putting him there to fail. He's not a fourth line player - not even in his best days.

So we're caught in quite a conundrum. That's why I said 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.

I really don't want him on the team next year. He's a waste of space & cap hit. Ideally, the rest of this year I would like to put him in a situation where it'll be impossible for him to fail (give him a taco stand) where we can show he's not a total waste and then trade him in the off season - even for a bucket of rhinoceros summer pucks. Better yet at the trade deadline but good luck with that.
Gionta, Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller, Kostitsyn, Pacioretty, Cole and Cammalleri can't be moved from the top9, so that leaves Gomez competing with Moen for a top9 spot. Moen is more deserving and adds much needed grit. He also has great chemistry with Eller.

This means Gomez has to go back on the 4th line. Imho its as much of a waste as having him in Hamilton, so we might as well waive him and send him them. Sure we can get injuries but I don't think its a problem. The more ice time we give Leblanc the better.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 01-07-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old
01-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Yeah Gomez leached a few assists from them. Gomez wasn't driving that line at all. It was also for a short stretch. Not really better than Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole for instance, perhaps not as good.
No, Gomez and him clicked pretty nicely. Pacioretty said as much.

Try again.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:39 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
No, Gomez and him clicked pretty nicely. Pacioretty said as much.

Try again.
When on his game Pacioretty clicks with pretty much everyone.

Gomez brings nothing to this team and he's clearly not part of its future. Why hang on to him? He's a 7 million dollar filler.

Old
01-07-2012, 03:45 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Yeah Gomez leached a few assists from them.
Dude, stop!

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:52 PM
oleHABSole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
No. He lost my support when he changed to number 11. He can do nothing to gain it back. I'll hate him even if we win the cup and he's the Conn Smythe winner.
Yeah I know what you mean, it makes me sick when I see scrubs or even decent players on NHL12 wearing #99.

oleHABSole* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
When on his game Pacioretty clicks with pretty much everyone.

Gomez brings nothing to this team and he's clearly not part of its future. Why hang on to him? He's a 7 million dollar filler.
What has Pacioretty done the last 10 games huh??? Seems to be going through a cold streak and guess who he is playing with? Does it have something to do with his linemates? That's what I see. The only constant during Pacioretty's play in the last 10 games and most of the season is Desharnais. And please don't tell me it's cause of his suspension! Lame excuse!

Old
01-07-2012, 03:59 PM
oleHABSole*

Quote:
Where do you play him ?

Where do you think? bottom of the line, that's where! no PP time either, no more then 10 minutes a game. Throw him away to the Bulldogs.

oleHABSole* is offline   Reply With Quote