HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Jerseys with names but no name plates?

Old
01-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Jerseys with names but no name plates?

Hey everyone, I have a question that I thought could be answered here. I just bought and received an old Rob Blake Avalanche third jersey (the burgundy one) off of eBay. The jersey is a Koho with the "A" on it, made in Canada, licensed with the NHL shield on the tags and sewn to the bottom rim near the waist in the back. It's a beauty really. All letters and numbers are sewn and glacier twill is used. The only thing is, it doesn't have a name plate; the name "Blake" is sewn directly to the jersey.

Is this normal? Are some jerseys just made this way? All the other jerseys I own have name plates so I've never seen one without one.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:20 PM
shawn1331

Nah that's how they do it in the NHL because they don't reuse jerseys. Theres a few rules to that as well. Take this for example, if you get ANY blood on your jersey in the NHL you have to remove it and change it for a fresh one. If it rips you need to change it for another. They don't worry about next years D man coming in who wants to use #7, they just give him a brand new jersey and he can keep it for his own if he wants.

Same with goalies next time you watch your team play away at the end of the game you'll notice he has a bunch of puck marks all over his white jersey. Next time they play an away game he will have a fresh white jersey. I'm pretty sure they use a new one every game for every player.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Hey everyone, I have a question that I thought could be answered here. I just bought and received an old Rob Blake Avalanche third jersey (the burgundy one) off of eBay. The jersey is a Koho with the "A" on it, made in Canada, licensed with the NHL shield on the tags and sewn to the bottom rim near the waist in the back. It's a beauty really. All letters and numbers are sewn and glacier twill is used. The only thing is, it doesn't have a name plate; the name "Blake" is sewn directly to the jersey.

Is this normal? Are some jerseys just made this way? All the other jerseys I own have name plates so I've never seen one without one.
In the mid-90s, I got a Sergei Fedorov road (red) Detroit Red Wings jersey and the letters are sewn directly to the jersey without a name plate. It's not an authentic jersey by any means, just a CCM replica that I got customized at a local store.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
In the mid-90s, I got a Sergei Fedorov road (red) Detroit Red Wings jersey and the letters are sewn directly to the jersey without a name plate. It's not an authentic jersey by any means, just a CCM replica that I got customized at a local store.
When you come to mention that, I think my Hossa Red Wings jersey is the same way. So mine must be a real jersey, just a replica and not 100% authentic.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
I don't think the Red Wings use name plates, because of the arched letters.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:35 PM
rinkrat22

pretty sure the flyers home jerseys use a name plate.

just like when you were in school boys, never and always don't apply.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:27 PM
shawn1331

My cousins game worn OHL jersey he gave me from his last game in the O doesn't use a name bar, just checked.

Old
01-07-2012, 03:30 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1331 View Post
Nah that's how they do it in the NHL because they don't reuse jerseys. Theres a few rules to that as well. Take this for example, if you get ANY blood on your jersey in the NHL you have to remove it and change it for a fresh one. If it rips you need to change it for another. They don't worry about next years D man coming in who wants to use #7, they just give him a brand new jersey and he can keep it for his own if he wants.

Same with goalies next time you watch your team play away at the end of the game you'll notice he has a bunch of puck marks all over his white jersey. Next time they play an away game he will have a fresh white jersey. I'm pretty sure they use a new one every game for every player.
Not even close to being true on so many levels. Most NHL teams wear 2 or 3 sets of jerseys per year. They absolutely do not wear a new jersey every game. Also, game-worn jerseys can be full of puck marks, stick marks, board burns, tears and repairs. Just go to any gameworn dealer or collector sites to see. Teams also don't necessarily give players their jerseys either.

Back to the op's question. Most teams and leagues do use nameplates, but often teams will not use them for preseason jerseys.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:33 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Not even close to being true on so many levels. Most NHL teams wear 2 or 3 sets of jerseys per year. They absolutely do not wear a new jersey every game. Also, game-worn jerseys can be full of puck marks, stick marks, board burns, tears and repairs. Just go to any gameworn dealer or collector sites to see.

Teams also don't necessarily give players their jerseys either.
I wasn't sure about using a new one every game so thank you for that too. I know they will give you your jersey if you ask for it. Otherwise they sell them at the end of the season usually for charity auctions and such. I'm just going by the leafs, they said on leafs tv the other day that they use new jerseys if they get ripped, and I know the blood thing is common. It's a sanitary issue but I wouldn't be suprised if it's just the leafs that change jerseys for rips.

Old
01-07-2012, 04:22 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I wasn't sure about using a new one every game so thank you for that too. I know they will give you your jersey if you ask for it. Otherwise they sell them at the end of the season usually for charity auctions and such. I'm just going by the leafs, they said on leafs tv the other day that they use new jerseys if they get ripped, and I know the blood thing is common. It's a sanitary issue but I wouldn't be suprised if it's just the leafs that change jerseys for rips.
Unless a jersey is damaged beyond repair, teams will not just give players new jerseys. Also, blood stains are typically removed from the jerseys as well.

Old
01-07-2012, 04:59 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Unless a jersey is damaged beyond repair, teams will not just give players new jerseys. Also, blood stains are typically removed from the jerseys as well.
Yeah but you can't wear that jersey for the rest of the game. So if they can wash it out you wear a fresh one for the rest of the game regardless.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:03 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Yeah but you can't wear that jersey for the rest of the game. So if they can wash it out you wear a fresh one for the rest of the game regardless.
Often players who significantly bleed are taken back to the dressing room. While the trainer is fixing the player up, the equipment manager is cleaning the jersey.