HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey New Years Resolutions

Old
01-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Maccas

vCash: 500
Hockey New Years Resolutions

So guys/gals
Did any of you make any hockey related new years resolutions?
My only one was to try and get more ice time, aiming for twice a week at the moment (my job sadly won't allow much more)
Anyone got any good ones?

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just trying to lose 30 pounds or so and get an extra jump in my step. Started lifting last month but got derailed the last couple weeks. Back at it next week. Happy with my game otherwise.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:28 PM
Congo

I have really only one resolution for this year. Shoot. Shoot shoot shoot. Shoot from anywhere, shoot from everywhere, shoot even if it doesn't look like a good shot.

I have a really bad tendency to pass all the time, and when I come off the wall all I ever do is looking for a pass. It drives my team crazy, so this year I just want to shoot and shoot and shoot some more.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Out of curiosity, coming from a guy who averages 6-10 shots per game, why do you like to pass so much? Do you see the guy in great position for tap ins? Or do you like to draw attention? I've never understood that mindset since it's so different from mine but I've never met any truly great passing players at my level.

Old
01-05-2012, 11:36 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Out of curiosity, coming from a guy who averages 6-10 shots per game, why do you like to pass so much? Do you see the guy in great position for tap ins? Or do you like to draw attention? I've never understood that mindset since it's so different from mine but I've never met any truly great passing players at my level.
For me, when I play house league/rec(my normal level) league I always feel like a dick and a puck hog if I shoot too much. Don't get me wrong I have a great wrister and slapper and all so I do shoot and I score my fair share of goals but I almost feel guilty after I take a shot that gets stopped and then I'm like man, I should have passed to the guy for an easy goal instead I did the selfish thing.

In varsity and higher level yeah I just shoot. But, I'm not a ringer and a little bit above average player with semi-weak rep and highschool teams in my area so it's not like I'm a real high caliber type of player playing at a lower level.

I guess it helps that I have always been an amazing passer since I was little. I almost always put it on the tape and consistently saucer pass 2 lines on the tape so I feel comfortable passing. It really helps my shot too because I can put it where I want within a few inches %90 of the time. I used to be able to pick a little square in the net and hit it like half the time, not under pressure of course just standing all alone in practice shooting pucks from the hash marks. But, for some reason I still feel more comfortable passing, I guess it's just a comfort zone.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Hockeyfan68

Mine is to play more often.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:00 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I play in two types of pickups. One (private) makes me think more bc it has a greater mixture of D1(for our rink) than D2 (my division), so I always play it harder in the sense I think about options more. The other just includes random people so I tend to do more.

End of story: Get better.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:25 AM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

vCash: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm much in the same way as who you are responding too.
I don't have the best shot in the world, or great upper body strength (my hockey new years resolution) so I've always used passing to stay relevant on the ice.
And making a perfect saucer pass or a long bomb feels just as good as a goal IMO.

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

To get good enough to score a goal a game in a crappy low tier beer league.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

Send a message via ICQ to Eleven Send a message via AIM to Eleven
I'm going to learn to skate.

Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:23 AM
noobman

Playing more pond hockey was mine, but of course on my first night out I get elbowed in the head and suffer a concussion. From now on I'm always wearing my helmet.

Beyond that I, as usual, want to be a better skater and a better passer, so I'm going to work on that stuff.

Quote:

I like fancy plays. For me nothing makes me feel better than wheeling with the puck to draw defensemen out of position before passing to a teammate for a tap-in goal.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:41 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Good to hear.

For me I'm confident every time I shoot the puck it should be a goal. My expectations are scoring several goals per game. I've got a great shot for my level and above average speed so typically my line mates are nowhere near me in the offensive zone.

If I do stop up and wait for them, I get 2-3 guys covering me (usually on the boards) and there's no way I can beat them all.

And my passing is atrocious! I'm typically missing them by a couple feet. Although when I played D I was a lot better. Huh.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

I got my first goal of the season in the last game. I want to score a lot more often. I have a better feel for my teammates now so I feel like I could score a lot more now (and our team was relegated to a lower division so we should get more opportunities now ).

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:42 AM
r3cc0s

get better at generating more power with my strides as opposed to quick feet

learn to glide better and to promote momentum when skating heel to heel and while cross-overing

work on hands and better positioning when recieving passes

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:19 PM
CPAir

My Hockey New Year's resolution is to play hockey, period. I'm 36 and never played a game in my life, up until a few months ago i couldn't even skate. I took some beginner lessons, went to public skate a lot and am now about to move into Power Skating. I've got all my equipment and can't wait to start in a league this year!

CPAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Playing more pond hockey was mine, but of course on my first night out I get elbowed in the head and suffer a concussion. From now on I'm always wearing my helmet.

Beyond that I, as usual, want to be a better skater and a better passer, so I'm going to work on that stuff.

I like fancy plays. For me nothing makes me feel better than wheeling with the puck to draw defensemen out of position before passing to a teammate for a tap-in goal.

I used to be more of a shooter but I found over time I have decent vision and get way more pleasure from setting up a pretty goal or easy tap in with a solid pass than I do from being the scorer.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:23 PM
shawn1331

Quote:

Sorry for the ignorance but I am just curious how many ponds do you have where you are that freeze over? Hows the weather? Again sorry for the ignorance no offence to you.

Also why'd my earlier post get deleted? It wasn't innapropriate was it?

Old
01-07-2012, 04:37 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1331 View Post
Sorry for the ignorance but I am just curious how many ponds do you have where you are that freeze over? Hows the weather? Again sorry for the ignorance no offence to you.

Also why'd my earlier post get deleted? It wasn't innapropriate was it?
Oh I just call it pond hockey. It's actually an artificial outdoor rink. Also I live in Toronto not South Africa.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 04:50 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Oh I just call it pond hockey. It's actually an artificial outdoor rink. Also I live in Toronto not South Africa.
Oh alright aha the countries flag didn't look like canada sorry if that was offensive or anything.

Old
01-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Flonominal

Actually score a goal this season scored 7 last season when we were in a upper division got moved down this season. Different now that im on defense. Work on my slapshot and my snapshot. Hopefully i will get to play ice this year

Flonominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Guffaw

To stop getting hurt so I can really work on my game. Weights, sprints, plyometrics, cardio, on ice, clinics, etc. Been back on the ice for only 5-6 months after a 15 year layoff and its been nothing but injuries. Finally starting to heal up

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote