HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why are the NYR so good?

Old
01-06-2012, 11:29 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip chipperson View Post
the hat
I was thinking that the whole time lol.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:44 PM
ant1117
Rookie User

I realized something weird that goes along with this. One all of these hockey talk shows and stuff i hear and read, i still see people not really giving the rangers the deserving they do. It's all about Boston, and i know they are incredible right now, but lets not over look what the NYR are and doing.

ant1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Vitto79

I love how there is a " this is a bad team " thread and now a " how is this team so good" thread

I started the season saying ok teams .500, blame it on the overseas trip. Could be worse

then they started winning and I was pumped but had my doubts.........now they just keep freaking winning and for the first time I'm a believer............I mean even after a crappy 1st period 2nite you just felt they would pull it out

back of your mind you expect a let down but it just hasnt happened

this team just works their arses off

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:19 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

-Richards
-Gaborik returning to form (even better than usual)
-Younger guys improving
-Lundqvist/Biron
-Chemsitry
-Torts

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Pizza

A quote from the recent Craig Custance article. I think Messier summed it up nicely:

The Rangers benefit from cultivating homegrown talent, the kind that tends to find an extra gear when things get tight. "If you can get a group of young players who have come through the system together and learn the game, learn how to be a pro all together and that are the focus and nucleus of the team, it's a huge advantage," Messier said. "Huge advantage."

Again, this was the direction set after the '03 - '04 season. Things got side tracked unfortunately, but when Torts came aboard the tiller was set straight again. It's taken too damn long, but the original plan is finally coming together.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
A quote from the recent Craig Custance article. I think Messier summed it up nicely:

The Rangers benefit from cultivating homegrown talent, the kind that tends to find an extra gear when things get tight. "If you can get a group of young players who have come through the system together and learn the game, learn how to be a pro all together and that are the focus and nucleus of the team, it's a huge advantage," Messier said. "Huge advantage."

Again, this was the direction set after the '03 - '04 season. Things got side tracked unfortunately, but when Torts came aboard the tiller was set straight again. It's taken too damn long, but the original plan is finally coming together.

Who demanded and taught them how to be pros? JOHN TORTORELLA!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant1117 View Post
I realized something weird that goes along with this. One all of these hockey talk shows and stuff i hear and read, i still see people not really giving the rangers the deserving they do. It's all about Boston, and i know they are incredible right now, but lets not over look what the NYR are and doing.
The funniest is fans of other teams after the Rangers beat them: We should have won, we dominated the first and the third, we skated right through them with pretty playmaking but just missed scoring, the Rangers just got lucky by banging their goals in, our goalie sucks that's the only reason the Rangers scored, blah blah, whine, whine...

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:13 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Brad Richards and Mike Rupp.

Richards over Christensen is actually a fairly impactful difference.
He's played in just 17 games and averages 6:55 per game. And he's the reason this team is so good?

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:39 PM
MSG the place to be*

circular locker room

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 04:17 PM
asphyXy

vCash: 50
I 100% expected to lose last night's game. They proved me wrong.

Maybe the hat is magical. Maybe Giannone will start being a better play-by-play guy now that his scalp has felt its magic.

asphyXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

would you guys accept Bandwagon applications?

I am an Oilers fan, and the fans here are starting to annoy me. Could I fit in with you guys?

Tad McMikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Calad
Section 422

More fans are always welcome!

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 04:46 PM
jmb9191

so basically being a ranger fan is really cool?

i like!

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 04:46 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post

I am an Oilers fan, and the fans here are starting to annoy me. Could I fit in with you guys?
How long have you been an Oilers fan?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Rykerman

always had a fondness for the oilers since the Edmonton Rangers of '94

Rykerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 05:32 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
We have really good passing and we pick our shots well. We don't just sling from the outside like some teams.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
Who demanded and taught them how to be pros? JOHN TORTORELLA!
....and I would totally agree. In many ways Torts has been the missing ingredient. The most clear departure from the past was that Torts said there would be a different identity for the team. He demanded accountability to that identity and now it's firmly in place.

No more easy Rangers. Big even huge difference.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:53 PM
HankIsTheKing30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Three words.

Henrik F***ing Lundqvist.
hell yeah

HankIsTheKing30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHavok View Post
Having this conversation at a bar with a few fellow blueshirt fans and a few Devil fans......when asked what is the single biggest difference between NYR this season and last----accounting for their success.....what would it be?

I stumbled at first for an answer.....but finally, I said....'it's gotta be the system."

Yes LUNDY is boss.....Richards balances the lines and roster throughout...Cally is the best capt. since Mess.....Gabby is playing like Gabby should....Defense is surprisingly good despite injuries....

But what accounts for the unprecedented success.....ultimately it's all these factors, sure.......

But my response was TORTS-----its the coaching, it the leadership and the fact that the players and TORTS are working in harmony.....all on the same page.....cohesion if you will.

And of course......Lundy, Lundy, Lundy.

Whats the overall consensus out there, with regard to critical factors, that explain our stellar season thus far.....
Without question it's Torts and how the players have bought in lock, stock and barrel to his system. Our talent is at best marginally better than last year except for Richards and the improved play of Gaborik and Del Zotto.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 06:00 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Without question it's Torts and how the players have bought in lock, stock and barrel to his system. Our talent is at best marginally better than last year except for Richards and the improved play of Gaborik and Del Zotto.
lmao.

Marginally better... except for Richards, a healthy Gaborik, and a massively improved MDZ. That's quite a ****ing exception.

That's like saying I've moderately improved my income except for winning the 20M lottery.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Leetch66

Tip of the hat to the Scouting staff and our AHL coaching of the young guys . These are the guys that get very little credit but do an awful lot of grunt work that is required to build a solid foundation for a rebuilding club which is what we have had for the last 3 years . These guys live out of a suitcase and love the game .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 06:05 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

If that is who I think it is in your avatar, welcome aboard.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Pizza

Quote:

Welcome aboard Tad! Get ready to ride the lighting that is the New York Rangers

Old
01-07-2012, 06:47 PM
The New Originals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
He's played in just 17 games and averages 6:55 per game. And he's the reason this team is so good?
He was clearly joking.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 06:53 PM
CB420

From Edmonton, so I havent had a chance to watch alot of full NYR Games. Except the game earlier this season when the Rangers were in town to face the Oilers.

The thing that makes me like this team, besides the fact i like playing with them online for ranked games on NHL 2012 PS3. they have guys that can score on 3 lines, Boyle having an offseason, 21 goals last year only 2 this year...Defensemen join the rush, point shots.

The main thing though comming from an outside fan atleast is, #1 goaltending, King Henrik is the best goalie in the league, will get obvious considerating again for vezina. The second thing is PK, penalty kill 2nd in the league right now I believe.

Watching how intense Torts is on 24/7 it actually was surprising, not that fact that hes passionate and intense, I allready knew that, from what you dont get to hear him speak only to the media, he really seems to motivate and encourage guys in different ways. Talent of course you need talent, he seems to know how to push guys, he has to learn not to push them to far, but thats just him.

Alot of fans here in Edmonton, think Tom Renney could use some of that fire, right now, injuries have hit us bad the last few weeks though, take that into factor...Renney was different in the way he coached I think though in New York, here, he has alot younger of a core. I still respect his ways, hes an intelligent guy, articulate, watching 24/7 |HBO just gave me new insights to Torts, and I really think NYR is a legit contender this year. Get out of the East...trade deadline pickup a DMen and maybe another forward and look out this could be a scary team come may and june.

CB420 is offline   Reply With Quote