HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#42 Kings get BJ'd ... Can we just STOP w/ Afternoon games already ?

Old
01-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
The Rangers signed Gaborik. It's not like he went to the Panthers or Coyotes. He went to one of the 5 teams or so that pretty much have their choice of free agents. If the Rangers wanted Gaborik, they were going to get Gaborik. If the Kings offered the 5th year, the Rangers would've made an even better offer. The Rangers wanted Gaborik. End of story. It stops there. The Kings cannot outbid the Rangers for a free agent the Rangers want.
Gaborik's agent took the same contract to the Kings and Dean said no. Gaborik would have signed with LA if Dean offered the five years.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:09 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Gaborik's agent took the same contract to the Kings and Dean said no. Gaborik would have signed with LA if Dean offered the five years.
I hope you're not trying to blame DL for this. Most of us didn't want a 5 yr deal for someone with a history of injury.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Stoll's absolutely right. The kings aren't playing bad. They're not scoring and our pp's been nonexistent, but overall, our play hasn't been bad at all.

I just think some of you guys get into a fanatical mode and need to spew out your drama. Pretty much like when we first heard of Sutter's signing. How many people here over-reacted??? I'm thinking about 90% of the posters went through their drama and then finally calmed down and realized that he's actually not that bad of a choice.
agree with this.

I did not see all of today's game, but they really brought it in the 3rd. Sanford made some great saves and (surprise) no Kings could finish.

I'm going to be at the Washington game Monday night - ha! how are they gonna score more than Wash with Ovie getting charged up lately?!
it could get ugly (hope I'm wrong)

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

So the Kings have one of the most expensive teams in the league, the ninth highest cap payroll to be exact, at $63.5M, and Dean Lombardi has managed to assemble what might possibly be among the worst offensive teams in NHL history.

The results are completely unacceptable and he is the man responsible for putting this group together. They have zero talent in the bottom six and the top six is filled with players who appear to be unsure of what to do with the puck. Questionable decision making, errant passes, low quality shots, everything that can go wrong is happening for this team on the offensive side of the game and based on what I'm seeing on the ice, the players on this roster are incapable of turning it around.

When was the last time the highest paid forward on this team took control of a shift?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:12 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

It's just frustrating. It's certainly understandable fans are throwing the kitchen sink at the team at this point venting frustrations. It's been 3+ months of this scoring drought, and aside from a head coaching change, nothing else has been done. No call-ups. No trades. No significant system changes. It's just been groundhog day over and over and over again.

What's doubly frustrating is Quick is having an all-star season in goal and getting ****-all in run support.

The long drought though really isn't surprising given the entire team is experiencing it simultaneously. Every forward, to a man, is reacting the exact same way - trying to do it all themselves. Squeezing sticks too hard, over-thinking. It's all classic reactions, but because the scoring drought is affecting such a huge # of players on the same team at the same time, they're all reacting the same way. the problem is... it's a hell of a cycle to try to break out of when it's team-wide.

The PP today was a classic example of that. Every guy was trying to do too much, trying to make it happen themselves, not utilizing their teammates. Not moving. Not driving to the net. All just more symptoms of a team-wide scoring affliction.

Last edited by TonySCV: 01-07-2012 at 09:18 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:12 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Stoll is right, as far as the way they play. They are playing the system. It's designed to reduce the chances and goals against. The only change that Sutter has made is increase the Kings possession time. It hasn't increased their scoring chances, just more time with the puck on the perimeter.

Until Sutter can hire his own staff, the Kings will struggle to score.

Even Jim Fox has given up on the offense. He said it is time to realize that "it is what it is". It's not a scoring slump, it is by design. The Kings are playing for 1-0 and 2-1 wins.

Wonder who will replace Dean.
I thought this was a 3-2 league? When you have not scored a goal in regulation in two and a half games, your playing bad offensively. I mean, it's not like opposing goalies are standing on their heads. This Kings are either shooting from the blueline or right into their logo.

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:13 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

They do what they are told.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:13 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
WTF?

Old
01-07-2012, 09:16 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
They do what they are told.
Then Dean Needs to be shown the Door. I can't imagine Sutter is letting the Assistant Coaches ruin his team. The More likely scenario is the Coaches are all on the Same page.

(Keep plugging away) it will happen Goals will come.

So it's Dean's fault for hiring any of them. Also for constructing a Roster that can't play his Style of Hockey.

That article about the Power play pretty much explained Sutter has taken over coaching the PP. It still sucks, Sutter even in the post game said "More needs to be done but, (Keep Plugging away)".

Last edited by damacles1156: 01-07-2012 at 09:23 PM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
I hope you're not trying to blame DL for this. Most of us didn't want a 5 yr deal for someone with a history of injury.
To be fair, most of the people who didn't want us to do that for Gaborik (and this wasn't many people or so it seems like) wanted Dean to do that for Nash or Kovalchuk. Or as an alternative, they wanted Hossa, but Hossa had no desire to play in LA whatsoever because we were miles away from the Cup. Dean traded for Smyth anyway and we were happy about it until he started playing like **** last season. Nash signed an extension and didn't hit the market. Then the next summer, those same people said they didn't want Kovalchuk because he would cost too much, and would rather have B. Richards the next year. We didn't sign a forward in that long summer of 2010. The next season finished, and we didn't get B. Richards, and people were saying that we shouldn't because it would cost too much, so it was good we didn't get him. That time we actually got someone in Gagne who everyone wound up being happy with until he started playing like crap and he'll probably miss the rest of the season. Now those same people are saying we should get Parise. He will want 8 million and everyone will say we should shoot for Iginla and not waste our time with Parise. Regardless of what people say, he won't be signed anyway. As long as we have a GM who won't dole out an overpayment anyway.

Do you see how this goes?

It is frustrating as all get out. There is never a price for a free agent that is going to appease everybody, but the situation we're in where we haven't drafted enough quality players, we need to get one to be successful. That's why people get pissed off and that's really why we have these discussions to this day.

And given that we have nobody in Manchester even remotely worth giving a call to, everyone's freaking out over those failures in free agency and rightly so. This team should be in position to make the call and choose between 2 or 3 players to give a chance to, but everyone knows nobody down there is good enough, so the next thing to get mad over is...why don't we have Gaborik, insert free agent here, etc.

Last edited by Live in the Now: 01-07-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Willams and Handzus were given a 4 year deal by Dean. Dean takes risks with middle-tier talent but not top-tier talent.

Gaborik was and is worth the risk. Seems to be doing okay in NY.

Kings are 30th in offense. Down to 2.02 goals per game. Even worse if you figure goals per 60 minutes.
That is on Dean and his philosophy. He was visibly upset when he fired Murray, he thinks his way works. We have the SJ and LA experiments to show it doesn't.

No reason to trade for Penner if gaborik is signed.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:22 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenKing18 View Post
Totally sums everything up for me. We all know the problem.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:23 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Then Dean Needs to be shown the Door. I can't imagine Sutter is letting the Assistant Coaches ruin his team. The More likely scenario is the Coaches are all on the Same page.

(Keep plugging away) it will happen Goals will come.

So it's Dean's fault for hiring any of them.
I'm thinking that perhaps DL gave his word to Kompon and Stevens that they will be kept on the team as coaches as long as DL was still the GM. It's all speculation but I can't think of any other reasons why DL wouldn't let DS bring his own coaches. And if that's the case, then we need to fire DL and let DS bring his coaches, so this team can move forward. Love and respect DL for keeping his word, but business is business.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:25 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:

Gaborik was and is worth the risk.
Not that it hasn't obviously panned out for the Rangers, but that was a hell of a big risk. Gaborik's a china doll. This is the longest stretch he's been healthy in years.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:25 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I agree that DL is likely on the hot seat, if anyone thinks that isn't the case they should take a look at NHL history and things typically go under these circumstances.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:28 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
The Kings haven't scored a goal in regulation in their last 158:26 minutes of play.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=4...3&postcount=61

(Great minds think alike...)

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Not that it hasn't obviously panned out for the Rangers, but that was a hell of a big risk. Gaborik's a china doll. This is the longest stretch he's been healthy in years.
He had surgery to correct his major groin issues before he hit UFA. It was worth the risk.

He just didn't play Dean's style. Didn't fit the philosophy.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:30 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingsdrummer View Post
Relax people.

Everything's fine.
Really? Needing to play .600 hockey the rest of the way to barely sneak into the playoffs in the 8th spot is "fine" for you? I just want to calibrate for future reference.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:31 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
He had surgery to correct his major groin issues before he hit UFA. It was worth the risk.

He just didn't play Dean's style. Didn't fit the philosophy.
Not a Culture changer you say ? No sand paper to his game ?

He is not a closer you know (the John Smoltz type).

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think I have it figured out. They're all injured. With the rash of concussions spreading throughout the NHL, it is quite evident that the entire Kings roster has suffered from a contagious disease that has infected every player on the roster. The mystery disease is known as Penneritis. Since he joined the team, the Kings have forgotten how to score.

It's similar to what happens when a group of girls are together for a long time and they each have their periods at the same time. So in essence, all of the Kings have sore vaginas.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Gaborik was a risk worth taking. He's so talented that if he did get hurt, they could probably find a trade partner quickly. He has an NTC but doesn't strike me as someone who'd use it out of spite. NYR found a taker for Gomez and Chicago for Campbell, so regardless of how bad the contract is, it can be done. Chicago wound up stuck with Olesz but they'll manage just fine.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:35 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Kopi is 1 one guy.

What I find it hard to believe is that people think that it is one 1 player or another who is slumping when EVERYONE is "slumping". That it is the team or the players when everyone is supposed to be "slumping" is just silly to me.

It is clearly a case of the players doing what they are being told to do and then executing to the best of their abilities. Shooting wide and hitting a goalie dead center is just a signature characteristic of players who are gripping too hard and trying to do things in a manner that they aren't accustomed to doing.

Maybe it is a case of the guys on the point worrying about the manner at which they cycle or how fast they have to be moving laterally in order to be in position to receive a pass and then drop zone in order to stay in the system.

There are a ton of variables but why in the world would so many players go on scoring slumps at the same time? How in the world could an entire team be having their worst offencive records of all time at the same time that team scoring is at its lowest in team history?

It IS the system that is the problem and it to me it just simply ISN'T the players or at least we haven't any way of knowing which if any of the players that it might be.

I do agree that having MR on the same line as Kopi puts all of our eggs in one basket and makes us waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too predictable to play against.
Well Penner has given such a poor effort this year, that I have no idea how he ever got to the league, let alone scored more than 10 goals in a season. His lack of effort transcends any system. He's in a contract year, maybe his last chance at any serious money, and he plays this badly. Maybe he's been hurt all year, but then don't play. I wish I could blame the system for Penner this year. He's just been so awful, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

Gagne was pretty much the only option the Kings had, and had to overpay for him. He started out well while playing the same system that saw him go scoreless for 17 games later on. Now he might be completely done.

Williams is lost. 3 goals in his last 30 some games. Put up 22 goals and almost 60 points in the same system last year. No idea what happened there.

Kopitar has scored 30+ goals in a system coached by Murray. He does this mid-season slump thing every year.

Richards is playing LW right now since both Penner and Gagne haven't worked out. When he was at C, he played with Penner a lot, which was like playing with just 4 guys on the ice. Gagne wasn't very effective next to Richards either. He didn't choose to be a King, so he gets at least a little grace period. Although, his poor faceoff ability is annoying.

Brown has averaged, playing this defensive system for 3 years, about 25 goals and 55 points. All of a sudden, the system is the reason he's not producing as much? The same system he's been in for years. It doesn't take teams years to figure out a system that's been around for years.

Stoll, he doesn't have the same wingers as previous years. Can't carry a line or anything, not that it was ever expected. If the PP was better, he might have a few extra goals.

Doughty and Johnson are in their own worlds.

Of course the PP is absolutely terrible. You have to get a goal here and there on the PP. It causes the other team to have to open up a bit to try and score, which might give you an extra chance for a goal. Anything. A bad bounce goal. A goal that has no business going in. PP's are not some secret. It's pretty simple. There are only so many ways to do it. You have to outwork the PK. You have to win facoffs. The Kings do not. You have to win races to the puck. The Kings do not. You have to win board battles. The Kings do not. Brown was in front of the net today. Stay there, don't move. It doesn't help when your top two point men are doing whatever it is that they're doing.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Totally sums everything up for me. We all know the problem.
This sums up everything for me.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:37 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
To be fair, most of the people who didn't want us to do that for Gaborik (and this wasn't many people or so it seems like) wanted Dean to do that for Nash or Kovalchuk. Or as an alternative, they wanted Hossa, but Hossa had no desire to play in LA whatsoever because we were miles away from the Cup. Dean traded for Smyth anyway and we were happy about it until he started playing like **** last season. Nash signed an extension and didn't hit the market. Then the next summer, those same people said they didn't want Kovalchuk because he would cost too much, and would rather have B. Richards the next year. We didn't sign a forward in that long summer of 2010. The next season finished, and we didn't get B. Richards, and people were saying that we shouldn't because it would cost too much, so it was good we didn't get him. That time we actually got someone in Gagne who everyone wound up being happy with until he started playing like crap and he'll probably miss the rest of the season. Now those same people are saying we should get Parise. He will want 8 million and everyone will say we should shoot for Iginla and not waste our time with Parise. Regardless of what people say, he won't be signed anyway. As long as we have a GM who won't dole out an overpayment anyway.

Do you see how this goes?

It is frustrating as all get out. There is never a price for a free agent that is going to appease everybody, but the situation we're in where we haven't drafted enough quality players, we need to get one to be successful. That's why people get pissed off and that's really why we have these discussions to this day.

And given that we have nobody in Manchester even remotely worth giving a call to, everyone's freaking out over those failures in free agency and rightly so. This team should be in position to make the call and choose between 2 or 3 players to give a chance to, but everyone knows nobody down there is good enough, so the next thing to get mad over is...why don't we have Gaborik, insert free agent here, etc.
I don't think there's a need to freak out about not having a Gaborik, Kovy, Hossa etc. In case you haven't noticed most teams don't either. What we DO have are Kopi, Richards, Doughty, Johnson, Quick, Mitchell, Brown Scuderi, all very solid players. So, no, I don't get why people freak out, because myself and some others here aren't freaking out.

We have a good solid team on paper. I have no idea why this team can't score, I really don't. If we can only score, we wouldn't be having these discussion.

In any case, we're at the half way mark and we're a marginal team in the standings. I know we can play a lot better, a LOT better but we shall see.

I would like to see DS bring in his coaches and see if that can turn this team around offensively. And if not, then we need to make some changes in roster, simple as that.

I still believe in our boys and I hope you guys do as well, because we're too good and it's way too early to give up.