HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have Bruins usurped 'Broad Street Bullies' Mojo?

Old
01-07-2012, 05:29 PM
rban*

vCash: 500
Have Bruins usurped 'Broad Street Bullies' Mojo?

Looking at this article and reinforcing the admiration I've had for Bruins since they grabbed Chara, Lucic, and Horton....

Does Philly not have this toughness anymore? Really only Pronger seems to embody this. Is there anyone we can grab to reinforce this?

http://www.financialpost.com/todays-...926/story.html

Quote:
"The team really resonates with the city," Bostonian Cory Schneider said before he was named the Canucks' starting goalie after Friday's practice. "This is really a blue-collar, middleclass town and people identify with players like that. It was always the big, bad Bruins with guys like Terry O'Reilly and Cam Neely. There was a gap there for a while but now Boston's got that kind of team back."
Quote:
"The way we're built, we really don't worry about it too much," Boston heavyweight Shawn Thornton said of being challenged physically. "We're very capable of taking care of business if it needs to be taken care of. The wingers on our top line (Lucic and Nathan Horton) are probably two of the toughest guys in the league and they get 20, 30 goals each. Our captain (Zdeno Chara) is six-foot-nine and arguably the toughest guy in the league. I'm probably third or fourth in line and it's my job. So we never really put too much thought into it."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 01-07-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Quoted article, per site rules
rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 05:30 PM
rban*

Just to clarify what I'm saying, when I look at Chara, Horton, and Lucic, I think: that's the type of player WE should have.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Close this thread.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 05:37 PM
FlyerGuy18

If the Flyers played like the Bruins have been the past 9 months they'd get blasted by the fans (of other teams) & pundits. Just like in the 70s. I don't understand how they haven't gotten handed more severe supplemental discipline this year. Marchand's clipping on Salo made me sick.

I know this is whining but whatever, it angers me when people call the Flyers dirty & the Bruins play like they have been & they are just a "dominate team"

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Coppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Just to clarify what I'm saying, when I look at Chara, Horton, and Lucic, I think: that's the type of player WE should have.
Pronger, Simmonds, Hartnell... You can't have every tough player in the league...

I think you are overrated some of the Bruin's toughness here. Chara isn't really "tough". He is just really freaking big. There is a difference. I'd take Pronger over him in that category any day of the week. I don't really think Horton is all that tough either. Lucic is the only one I'd say is really "tough" and often times, it is a liability.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 05:48 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Close this thread.
This.

We can play as physical and as gutsy as them. We have the guys. Maybe not the size, but we have the sandpaper.

One thing they will never get is the Broad Street Bullies.

It's one thing to be the baddest kid on the block when all the rest of the league is trying to clean things up and make it a little safer. It's another thing to be the baddest kid on the block when everyone wants to be the baddest kid on the block.

Honestly, I think every NHL each is dirty in its own right. It's something I've said over and over whenever the Flyers' players have been called into question. That Boston team has some punks though.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

When I think "Tough" Chara isn't the first name that comes to mind.

01-07-2012, 07:27 PM
MountainHawk

I hope so. Broad Street Bullies hockey has been a failure for 35 years.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Looking at this article and reinforcing the admiration I've had for Bruins since they grabbed Chara, Lucic, and Horton....

Does Philly not have this toughness anymore? Really only Pronger seems to embody this. Is there anyone we can grab to reinforce this?

http://www.financialpost.com/todays-...926/story.html
Have you not seen the Briere vs Turris fight in today's Senators game, Dude?

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 07:56 PM
SgtJoseph

As a Flyers fan since 1967.........I like Bostons game a lot.But no team in today's NHL is even remotely close to what the 70s bullies and NHL were back then.It's a whole different game these days in so many ways.....I will agree that Boston is certainly the toughest and most Physical team, and i like that kind of hockey.They 100% deserved to win the cup last season.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Orange Crush 89

I wish someone could post several videos of Pronger being this evil, physical beast I kept hearing rumors about him being before he came to town. I was hoping for elbows and dirty rough stuff and in my experience watching him on this team he embodies none of that. It disappoints me.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:35 PM
dawkins121

When Gary Bettman looks as miserable and pissed off as Clarence Campbell did when he handed the Cup to the Flyers, then you can start mentioning the Bruins in the same sentence.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:52 AM
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m

Shut the **** up and bye.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:55 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
screw the Bruins.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Zbynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
As a Flyers fan since 1967.........I like Bostons game a lot.But no team in today's NHL is even remotely close to what the 70s bullies and NHL were back then.It's a whole different game these days in so many ways.....I will agree that Boston is certainly the toughest and most Physical team, and i like that kind of hockey.They 100% deserved to win the cup last season.
solid post

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:47 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

There is no such thing as bullies these days. Boston didn't even goon it up in the playoffs until they met the canucks. They didn't win their first 3 rounds with their brute force, they used their skill.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy18 View Post
If the Flyers played like the Bruins have been the past 9 months they'd get blasted by the fans (of other teams) & pundits. Just like in the 70s. I don't understand how they haven't gotten handed more severe supplemental discipline this year. Marchand's clipping on Salo made me sick.

I know this is whining but whatever, it angers me when people call the Flyers dirty & the Bruins play like they have been & they are just a "dominate team"
I'm with you on this. Maybe I'm a homer, but the Flyers catch no slack when it comes to anything "dirty".

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
I wish someone could post several videos of Pronger being this evil, physical beast I kept hearing rumors about him being before he came to town. I was hoping for elbows and dirty rough stuff and in my experience watching him on this team he embodies none of that. It disappoints me.
As a Habs fan, I can objectively say that Pronger matured into a brilliant, strong and clean leader. In the past few years, I've watched him prevent more fights than he caused by physically imposing himself between players. Yes, he's thrown some nasty hits in his day, but he's never pulled the dumb thug moves that some Boston's players have this year. He's actually one of my favourite players.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Lshap

Also, speaking objectively, the Bruins didn't win through intimidation or by aping the Broad Street Bullies style. Their fans may get off on their team's tough-guy routine, but without the shutdown goaltending of Thomas and the shutdown - but usually clean - defense of Chara, they wouldn't have come close. Good old fashioned goaltending and defense won them a Cup, not their fighting skill. In fact, their aggressive play is starting to work against them, as their poor discipline and dirty hits have resulted in two recent suspensions.

Want an example? The Habs are considered a small and soft team who you'd think would be helpless victims to the big bad Bruins. Except Boston barely squeaked by Montreal last playoffs. In fact, Montreal beat them during the regular season last year and are tied 2-2 this season with one more goal.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:06 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Also, speaking objectively, the Bruins didn't win through intimidation or by aping the Broad Street Bullies style. Their fans may get off on their team's tough-guy routine, but without the shutdown goaltending of Thomas and the shutdown - but usually clean - defense of Chara, they wouldn't have come close. Good old fashioned goaltending and defense won them a Cup, not their fighting skill. In fact, their aggressive play is starting to work against them, as their poor discipline and dirty hits have resulted in two recent suspensions.

Want an example? The Habs are considered a small and soft team who you'd think would be helpless victims to the big bad Bruins. Except Boston barely squeaked by Montreal last playoffs. In fact, Montreal beat them during the regular season last year and are tied 2-2 this season with one more goal.
Exactly. I'm surprised it got to post 19 to mention Thomas as an essential part of their Cup win. Not to mention their depth, and guys like Bergeron who are excellent 2-way players.

The Flyers were, obviously, the Bruins' weakest opponent in the playoffs because the Flyers had no answer for the Bruins strength, were a mess in nets and played a horrible team game.

BernieParent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Clyde Donovan

Horton is not a tough guy. He tries to act tough and sucker punch people with his gloves on and hides behind the real tough guys on the Bruins. He's 6'2 230 and got beat up by little Zac Rinaldo. Notice how he never pulled the crap he does now when he was with Florida.

Clyde Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Exactly. I'm surprised it got to post 19 to mention Thomas as an essential part of their Cup win. Not to mention their depth, and guys like Bergeron who are excellent 2-way players.

The Flyers were, obviously, the Bruins' weakest opponent in the playoffs because the Flyers had no answer for the Bruins strength, were a mess in nets and played a horrible team game.
To play Devils Beefocate, much of the Bullies' success depended on Parent, no?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:53 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post

Yeah... why do the Habs give them such trouble? What is it about their style of play?

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Yeah... why do the Habs give them such trouble? What is it about their style of play?
Pure hatred?

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 12:51 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
they have been huge rivals for decades. they have hated each other the same amount of time.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote