HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First skates for a two year old?

Old
12-26-2011, 08:32 PM
prob22

vCash: 500
First skates for a two year old?

Ive taken a look at a few skates but Im not sure what a good quality skate is for my two year old who has never laced up before. Anyone have particularly good luck with a type of skate with there toddler?

prob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:18 PM
AIREAYE

Best advice I can give you is to opt for skates that will be the most comfortable while also considering the correct size to ensure that they won't grow out of it quickly. Any skate that is too tight/narrow or too wide/roomy will lead to discomfort and disinterest in skating for the child.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:49 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
For balance and to just get a feel for the ice, you can get double-bladed skates that seem to really help out at first.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:01 AM
Duckscoach

Let the toddler amaze you

Please do not go with the double blades. They cannot be sharpened and they inhibit a natural stride. Kids can amaze you if you give them the chance. Easton makes a Y6 skate (EQ4 I believe) that is nice. The blade is a little flatter than most youth skates which will help with their balance. My two year old does very well on them. Give them time to walk in them before hitting the ice to get used to the feel. Enjoy!

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/video...-Pro/133116743

Duckscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The smallest size regular skate I've ever found was 9. My kid's 2.5 and last year I got him the Bauers with the clamp. Basically just had him touching the ice while dad was holding him and skating. This year I wanted to get him real skates but he's barely a size 8 and the size 9 and above "real" skates were all too big.

Of course for some reason we haven't had cold weather at all in MINNESOTA. Normally we have outdoor rinks from Nov through Feb/March but it's been 40 degrees every day.

I would never get double blades. Get single blades and hold the kid while skating, then let him push around a chair, then he'll skate on his own. Double blades just make everything worse.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Duckscoach

First skates

Easton definitely makes them small enough. I think Bauer also makes the Youth 6 size. Have your Pro Shop order them for you. Small market for two year old skates so I doubt you'll find them online. You'll want your Pro Shop to size them properly and sharpen them anyway. Good luck!

Old
12-28-2011, 03:45 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
easton has size 6 skates that are of proper quality for a beginner.

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:10 PM
sanityplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckscoach View Post
Please do not go with the double blades. They cannot be sharpened and they inhibit a natural stride. Kids can amaze you if you give them the chance. Easton makes a Y6 skate (EQ4 I believe) that is nice. The blade is a little flatter than most youth skates which will help with their balance. My two year old does very well on them. Give them time to walk in them before hitting the ice to get used to the feel. Enjoy!

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/video...-Pro/133116743
That kid should've had a helmet on.....

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:16 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
That kid should've had a helmet on.....
Exactly what I thought.

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:31 AM
Duckscoach

2 Year Old

He wears a helmet when he does a normal stick and puck. This was for a news story where they wanted to show his face a little better. No sticks were up high or pucks being fired. Why does no one seem to want figure skaters to wear helmets? Yes, there are little kids who figure skate and no, they don't wear helmets.

Old
01-04-2012, 10:22 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
He wears a helmet when he does a normal stick and puck. This was for a news story where they wanted to show his face a little better. No sticks were up high or pucks being fired. Why does no one seem to want figure skaters to wear helmets? Yes, there are little kids who figure skate and no, they don't wear helmets.
any kid on the ice ever should be wearing a helmet

when i was about 11 or 12 i was playing on the outdoor rink and a kid wiped out and hit his head on the ice. his skull broke open and there was a greeny ooze coming out of his head. i didnt see much after that asd i quickly took off my skates and ran to a neighbors house to call 911. i never saw that kid again but i will always remember the look in his eyes like azombie stare and the greeny ooze. i always make sure my kids have helmets on, especially when they are learning to skate.

CornKicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:50 AM
sanityplease

Quote:
Yes, they do wear helmets, if they don't then they're supposed to, in Canada anyways

POLICY: HELMET USE
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 1, 2011

1.0 GENERAL
All Skate Canada member clubs and skating schools who offer a CanSkate program must ensure all CanSkate and Adult CanSkate participants up to and including Stage 5 must wear a CSA approved hockey helmet while on the ice. Clubs and skating schools must ensure this policy is enforced during all skating activities including competitions, carnival days or any other special on ice activities throughout the season for this level of skater. Clubs and skating schools may choose to expand the use of CSA approved hockey helmets in their club as they see necessary. In general, anyone who lacks good control/balance when skating forward, backward and has difficulty stopping, as well as maneuvering around obstacles on the ice must wear a CSA approved hockey helmet. This policy is a minimum standard. Sections, at their discretion, may impose a higher standard which all clubs and skating schools within the sectionsí boundaries must adopt and implement.

2.0 HELMET USE DURING A COMPETITION OR TEST DAY
A skater beyond a CanSkate Stage 5 level that chooses to wear a CSA approved hockey helmet during a competition or test day will not be subjected to any deductions in relation to the use of a CSA approved hockey helmet.

Old
01-07-2012, 08:12 PM
hock3yfan

http://www.hockeygiant.com/bauangsktyth.html

bauer lil' angels...in both pink and blue

hock3yfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:19 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hock3yfan View Post
http://www.hockeygiant.com/bauangsktyth.html

bauer lil' angels...in both pink and blue
Read the disclaimer at the bottom... they can't fit into a skate sharpening jig. Buyer beware.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Duckscoach

Helmet

"In general, anyone who lacks good control/balance when skating forward, backward and has difficulty stopping, as well as maneuvering around obstacles on the ice must wear a CSA approved hockey helmet."

I would not put my son in jeopardy. He skates very well and has great control. He wears a helmet when playing hockey but not at public skates and not for a news story. There is no mandatory use of helmets in America (at least in our rink). Should toddlers wear helmets and time they are walking on concrete because that is as hard as ice and most toddlers fall more often than my son skating?

An 11 or 12 year old's head has a lot farther to fall. My son is fine and will be fine. Relax everyone.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:25 PM
sanityplease

Quote:
"In general, anyone who lacks good control/balance when skating forward, backward and has difficulty stopping, as well as maneuvering around obstacles on the ice must wear a CSA approved hockey helmet."

I would not put my son in jeopardy. He skates very well and has great control. He wears a helmet when playing hockey but not at public skates and not for a news story. There is no mandatory use of helmets in America (at least in our rink). Should toddlers wear helmets and time they are walking on concrete because that is as hard as ice and most toddlers fall more often than my son skating?

An 11 or 12 year old's head has a lot farther to fall. My son is fine and will be fine. Relax everyone.
We're all good. The skate Canada memo is for official figure skating clubs. & the "In general" portion of it adds to the minimum requirement of level 5 ability.

The kid in the video is 2 years old & not a great skater. He should have a helmet on also act as a good example to other young skaters. When a rule is a rule, kids will follow it easier.

Old
01-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Calvin123

A few thoughts from someone who has taught around 50 kids to skate over the last 5 or 6 years.

2 years old is pretty young. Every kid is different but experience tells me that kids under the age of about 4 have trouble learning to skate.

As for skates, get ones that are comfortable, warm and that you can take on and off easily. If the kid is already grumpy from getting his / her skates on, it will only get worse once they are on the ice.

The biggest factor with kids learning, is them wanting to learn. If they want to learn you can teach them, if they are being forced - good luck!

I would strongly encourage a helmet. Figure skates have a straight blade that makes it somewhat difficult to fall straight back on your head. Hockey skates (and all kids skates I've seen) have a blade shape that lets the skates go out from underneath you, letting you fall backwards on your head very easily. It happens all the time to new skaters.

A couple of tips for kids. Start by getting them to walk on the skates in TINY steps. Start by holding their hands, but don't support their body- otherwise they just rely on you for balance. You can also get them to use the boards, or a chair or support bar to hold on to when then are first learning.

Once they can stand and walk by themselves, get them to take bigger steps, the skating motion usually comes naturally as they get their balance.

As soon as they have balance teach them to stand up by themselves. Get them to put one knee on the ice, with the other skate blade on the ice(kneeling on one knee). They then put both hands on the knee attached to the leg that has the skate blade on the ice. They can they stand by pushing with this leg and their hands. Balance them by holding their jacket at the shoulders to keep them from falling once they are up, but don't actually lift. They usually pick this up within 3 or 4 falls once they have enough balance to stand on skates.

Most of all - keep it fun!

Calvin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Duckscoach

sanityplease - He's fine. I didn't say he was ready for the NHL or anything, I just said he skates very well and he does. Even when he falls he is in control enough not to hit his head. It's not because I don't care or anything, the weight of the helmet on a two year old is like you skating around carrying a bag of sand on your shoulders. It makes you top heavy. Think about it.

I am not anti-helmet, I think they should be used when necessary by inexperienced skaters who cannot maintain their balance or by skaters who prefer to wear one.

He wore one before he could maintain his balance on the ice and still does at stick & pucks, etc.

Old
01-16-2012, 04:16 PM
sanityplease

Quote:
sanityplease - He's fine. I didn't say he was ready for the NHL or anything, I just said he skates very well and he does. Even when he falls he is in control enough not to hit his head. It's not because I don't care or anything, the weight of the helmet on a two year old is like you skating around carrying a bag of sand on your shoulders. It makes you top heavy. Think about it.

I am not anti-helmet, I think they should be used when necessary by inexperienced skaters who cannot maintain their balance or by skaters who prefer to wear one.

He wore one before he could maintain his balance on the ice and still does at stick & pucks, etc.
Oh, that's your kid, didn't realize. Congrats, skilled little guy. We'll differ on helmet use, I'm fine with that. again.

Old
01-17-2012, 08:59 PM
ProV1

Helmets

We as parents get to decide what is safe for our children. Children do not understand the outcome of what can happen in a fall. Be it falling off a bike or a fall while skating. During an open skate session my son (5yrs. old) was knocked over by a teenager not watching were he was going. The teenager was goofing-off. My son fell and hit his head on the ice really good. I saw his head bounce off the ice. Really scary. Had my son not had his helmet on he would have been hurt. Big thanks to CCM, sons helmet and Bauer, daughters helmet. My children skate and ride their bikes with a helmet at all times.

ProV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Errr, they do here. All the youth figure skaters wear helmets around here.

And on the skate question, Bauer TotalOnes. Only way to be sure.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 12:46 AM
johnnyvegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
And on the skate question, Bauer TotalOnes. Only way to be sure.
For a two year old?

johnnyvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2012, 03:18 AM
madmutter
I heff to be med

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Read the disclaimer at the bottom... they can't fit into a skate sharpening jig. Buyer beware.
My kid's first skates at 3 years old were Bauer Supremes size Y7 and they wouldn't fit on most sharpening jig's. Only one of our LHS's could do them.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote