HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

And the dirtiest team in the league is.....

View Poll Results: The dirtiest team in the league is....
Vancouver 227 25.53%
Boston 549 61.75%
Chicago 3 0.34%
Anaheim 14 1.57%
Rangers 5 0.56%
New Jersey 1 0.11%
San Jose 5 0.56%
Nashville 3 0.34%
Dallas 10 1.12%
Washington 1 0.11%
Philly 27 3.04%
Pittsburgh 14 1.57%
Los Angeles 3 0.34%
Colorado 5 0.56%
Other 22 2.47%
Voters: 889. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2012, 10:19 PM
DG

vCash: 500
By good dirty, I meant effective. It leads to victories. Good didn't mean because they injure people, though I'm not sure what people are talking about in terms of injuries.

Vancouver's brand just pisses the whole league off.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:37 PM
ziploc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
By good dirty, I meant effective. It leads to victories. Good didn't mean because they injure people, though I'm not sure what people are talking about in terms of injuries.

So Vancouver's "bad dirty" is bad because it angers people, and isn't effective, ie. it doesn't lead to victories? Is this your point?

Meaning that the Bruins' "good dirty" does not, in fact, piss off other teams (manifestly false), and that the Canucks brand of hockey doesn't produce wins (manifestly false).

Old
01-07-2012, 10:38 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Boston did well trading for Campbell

Old
01-07-2012, 10:41 PM
First Ballot

Easily Boston.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:45 PM
nowhereman

Quote:

Hard hits, fighting, and all-around tough play is the right way to play hockey. That is what leads to victories.

Ramming a player's head into a stanchion and taking out a defender's knees does not.

There's nothing "good" about the Bruins' antics. Vancouver's pests are like bratty pre-teens who set off firecrackers on your front-porch and annoy the hell out of you. The Bruins are like the hardened criminal who takes thing just too damn far and puts you in the hospital.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:45 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
So Vancouver's "bad dirty" is bad because it angers people, and isn't effective, ie. it doesn't lead to victories? Is this your point?

Meaning that the Bruins' "good dirty" does not, in fact, piss off other teams (manifestly false), and that the Canucks brand of hockey doesn't produce wins (manifestly false).
That is one way of reading what I said, though it is an extreme reach.

Boston plays intimidating hockey. Dirty, but effective.

Vancouver plays an effective brand of hockey. However, the dirtyness isn't really a factor in that. Unless you're trying to tell me biting and poking opposing players in the neck with your stick is central to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Hard hits, fighting, and all-around tough play is the right way to play hockey. That is what leads to victories.

Ramming a player's head into a stanchion and taking out a defender's knees does not.

There's nothing "good" about the Bruins' antics. Vancouver's pests are like bratty pre-teens who set off firecrackers on your front-porch and annoy the hell out of you. The Bruins are like the hardened criminal who takes thing just too damn far and puts you in the hospital.
I'm not going to keep arguing this with people. Replace the word "good" with "effective" if it makes you feel better.

As far as the Chara incident, I don't think that was intentional, so I think citing it is irrelevant.

I do think the way you described the Canucks is accurate though. The Bruins have only "gone too far" once imo. Unless there's something other than the Chara (non) incident or the Marchand hit today that I'm missing?

Old
01-07-2012, 10:48 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:

Their brand has also made them successfull...not sure what you're getting at.

Boston's brand of hovering like a pack of thugs trying to start brawls is what pisses the rest of the league off.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:49 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!

the boston bruins AINEC

Old
01-07-2012, 10:50 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Their brand has also made them successfull...not sure what you're getting at.

Boston's brand of hovering like a pack of thugs trying to start brawls is what pisses the rest of the league off.
Fine hitting, intimidation and fighting are equal in terms of effectiveness compared to diving, biting and generally being a ******. You win.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:52 PM
ephmrl
#tanknation

Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
Quote:

Other than Burrow's bite and hair pulling, which were seperated over a few years, there has been nothing i can think of that could warrant them being labeled as dirty.

And you labeled them "bad dirty", which, according you you doesn't win games. Can you explain how they got to the stanley cup finals and were first in basically every statistic last season?

Old
01-07-2012, 10:55 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booth7 View Post
Other than Burrow's bite and hair pulling, which were seperated over a few years, there has been nothing i can think of that could warrant them being labeled as dirty.

And you labeled them "bad dirty", which, according you you doesn't win games. Can you explain how they got to the stanley cup finals and were first in basically every statistic last season?
bruinsstanleycup.jpg

Old
01-07-2012, 10:56 PM
ziploc

Quote:
Fine hitting, intimidation and fighting are equal in terms of effectiveness compared to diving, biting and generally being a ******. You win.
No, you are talking about dirty play. Chopping and butt-ending and slashing. Hard hitting, fighting, etc... is fine. But most people on this thread are acknowledging that the Bruins go far beyond that, and are dirty. It is effective, you are right. So is the Canucks' strategy of drawing teams into penalties, both through fast solid play, and through agitating, which certainly can be seen as dirty. It is also effective. The Bruins' strategy (which also employs diving and whining, it should be noted), injures people. The Canucks' strategy causes certain players and media personalities to ***** on air. You call one good, the other bad. That is questionable, to say the least, but you are entitled to your opinion. But both have proven effective, and hated.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:58 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Poll might as well be renamed "which team the HF Boards currently dislike the most". Haha, this thread is jokes.

Quote:
bruinsstanleycup.jpg
Oh great, so reaching the Stanley Cup Finals - or doing better than 28 other teams - plus dominating the regular season is a non-accomplishment? You make so much sense.

Old
01-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Moore Money

good dirty

Old
01-07-2012, 11:07 PM
DG

I'm actually kind of surprised there aren't more "rah rah", old time hockey people in here supporting this. Anaheim used this too and some of the greatest Flyers teams of all time did too.

Again, typical HF, read term "good dirty", assume poster means something, read no other posts, and just harp on the specific word used.

I already conceded that both Vancouver and Boston can be equally effective with their different brands of hockey. I'm fairly sure no one has bothered to register that though.

Old
01-07-2012, 11:08 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
bruinsstanleycup.jpg
A little more Eastern jealousy of Vancouver...I love it.

Old
01-07-2012, 11:10 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
A little more Eastern jealousy of Vancouver...I love it.
Oh yes, you got me, this is totally an "east vs. west" issue. I'm so jealous.

BTW, what am I jealous of, just so I know?

Old
01-07-2012, 11:14 PM
ziploc

Quote:
I'm actually kind of surprised there aren't more "rah rah", old time hockey people in here supporting this. Anaheim used this too and some of the greatest Flyers teams of all time did too.

Again, typical HF, read term "good dirty", assume poster means something, read no other posts, and just harp on the specific word used.

I already conceded that both Vancouver and Boston can be equally effective with their different brands of hockey. I'm fairly sure no one has bothered to register that though.
But you also said that "good" meant "effective". So you think the Bruins are less dirty than, say, the Canucks, because they are effective. That actually was your argument in one of your posts. If you are backing off from that, I suppose you are saying that you just prefer one style of dirty play over another, but then are open to the criticism that the style you prefer leads to FAR more injuries. It is still effective, and the Canucks' tactics can still be argued to be dirty, but they are far less dangerous. Hence, why most people on this (obviously entirely subjective and unscientific) poll agree that the Bruins are the dirtiest team in the league.

Old
01-07-2012, 11:14 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Oh yes, you got me, this is totally an "east vs. west" issue. I'm so jealous.

BTW, what am I jealous of, just so I know?
Well you seem to be on a mission to argue against everything Vancouver, just a hunch on my part.

Old
01-07-2012, 11:15 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredMan View Post
Did I miss something? O_o

ballard now plays for vancouver.

Old
01-07-2012, 11:16 PM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziploc View Post
But you also said that "good" meant "effective". So you think the Bruins are less dirty than, say, the Canucks, because they are effective. That actually was your argument in one of your posts. If you are backing off from that, I suppose you are saying that you just prefer one style of dirty play over another, but then are open to the criticism that the style you prefer leads to FAR more injuries. It is still effective, and the Canucks' tactics can still be argued to be dirty, but they are far less dangerous. Hence, why most people on this (obviously entirely subjective and unscientific) poll agree that the Bruins are the dirtiest team in the league.
Yes, this is exactly what I realized I was saying. I concede that. Stand down Canucks fans!

I do like how it did turn it to an inferiority complex real quick with "WE WON THE WEST AND YOU'RE JEALOUS" coming out instead of proper debate, like I expect from good 'ol HF.

(Don't mean you ziploc)

Old
01-07-2012, 11:17 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
Boston takes out players' knees, dishes out headshots to goaltenders, rams player's heads into the stanchion, pitchforks players into the boards (breaking their back), and suckerpunches you after the whistle.

Vancouver has a player who bit someone.

That's the first time I've heard someone refer to potential season/career-ending cheapshots as "good dirty".

People who call Vancouver "dirty" don't even watch the team play. They have a few pests and a couple of divers but they're no more dirty than any other team in the league. Unless you're really afraid of thugs like the Sedins, Kesler, Edler, Hamhuis, Raymond, Malhotra, Hodgson, Hansen, etc.

Boston CONSTANTLY crosses the line. Anyone who votes for any option in this poll, except Boston, is kidding themselves.
Savard did too.

Canucks aren't a dirty team. You can say they dive and such, but actually dirty? Nope. You are just being a blind hater to vote for them in this poll.

Old
01-07-2012, 11:19 PM
ziploc

Quote:
Yes, this is exactly what I realized I was saying. I concede that. Stand down Canucks fans!

I do like how it did turn it to an inferiority complex real quick with "WE WON THE WEST AND YOU'RE JEALOUS" coming out instead of proper debate, like I expect from good 'ol HF.

(Don't mean you ziploc)
I stand down. And I appreciate the logical concession, and the defensible position you take. It is obviously fine to prefer one style to another.

Old
01-07-2012, 11:20 PM
asdfman
Weeeee

Canucks are the dirtiest team because **** the Canucks, amirite?

Old
01-07-2012, 11:21 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Probably because your definition of old time hockey is what others consider stupidity and cowardice. Especially when guys like Pouliot all of a sudden play tough because they have 4 tough guys on the team. Ditto with Marchand? Why didn't he fight today? Even Lappierre did.

Anaheim wasn't as dirty or dishonorable as Boston. Not even close. They didn't run their mouths to the media and then contradict themselves on the ice either.

I'm not sure you know what Old time hockey is.

Closed Thread