HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Ryan from Anaheim (Jim Matheson, Edmonton Journal)

Old
01-08-2012, 12:13 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkFlyerFan View Post
So trade him and create an instant hole on defense and hope you can go find a replacement close to his level and oh yeah probably have to give another roster player to get it done.
I wouldn't want them to do that either honestly. The group of forwards are fine as is. No need to screw with it.
Read my post again. Another trade would have to be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Bold is a straight up lie.
Why? You think JVR is a better all around player? Based on playoffs against Boston?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:15 AM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Read his post again. He said that we "would have to give another roster player" to get a defenseman to replace Coburn.

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:16 AM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
I know and I'm saying to make another move the Flyers will have to give up significant pieces to get a player as good as Coburn and if they can't then their defense is significantly worse.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
Read his post again. He said that we "would have to give another roster player" to get a defenseman to replace Coburn.
Depends on the trade. Not necessarily for a roster player. What if Gill available for a pick as soon as tonight?

What if Ducks want Hartnell?

It's all specualtion at this point

Old
01-08-2012, 12:20 AM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
Depends on the trade. Not necessarily for a roster player. What if Gill available for a pick as soon as tonight?

Then the Flyers defense become much worse

Old
01-08-2012, 12:21 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Bold is a straight up lie.

And I'd trade Voracek before I trade JVR.

And I love Ryan, but why the hell are we trading for him anyway?
Have you ever seen Bobby Ryan play? Everyone of his goals come off a highlight reel deke or a ridiculous snipe. He was actually ranked 10th on Tsns list of most skilled forwards in the leaue. His center is playing like bargage this year so hes struggling but the guy is still a much more skilled player than jvr.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:21 AM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:

Cause Hartnell's gonna waive his NTC to leave a playoff team in Philly and Claude Giroux's wing to go to the worst team in the west.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:22 AM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
If Gill was available for a pick, we could have

Timonen Coburn
Carle Meszaros
Gill Gustafsson/Bourdon

and still keep our current forward set up, which is doing very well

Old
01-08-2012, 12:24 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Then the Flyers defense become much worse
Got to give to get. You are not going to get Ryan for Read or Simmonds as a center piece.
Quote:
If Gill was available for a pick, we could have

Timonen Coburn
Carle Meszaros
Gill Gustafsson/Bourdon

and still keep our current forward set up, which is doing very well
Just my speculation. Maybe he is availble maybe not.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:25 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
Have you ever seen Bobby Ryan play? Everyone of his goals come off a highlight reel deke or a ridiculous snipe. He was actually ranked 10th on Tsns list of most skilled forwards in the leaue. His center is playing like bargage this year so hes struggling but the guy is still a much more skilled player than jvr.
Say what you want, but JVR has a combination of size, speed and skill that makes defensemen have nightmares.

I'm not saying JVR necessarily has a better skill-set than Ryan, but to say that it's Ryan hands down is just not a claim that anyone can make at this point in time.

Ryan right now is the better player, but we're talking skill-set and potential. Right now doesn't mean **** in an argument about future.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:25 AM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Got to give to get. You are not going to get Ryan for Read or Simmonds as a center piece.
I wouldn't give up Read or Simmonds either.

Nobody wants him right now because our offense is not the problem.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I wouldn't give up Read or Simmonds either.

Nobody wants him right now because our offense is not the problem.
lol ok.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:29 AM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
I'm not saying to make them a center piece. I'm saying pass on Ryan because they don't need him, keep the depth this team has at forward, upgrade the defense by getting a #5 and possibly #6 defensemen and roll with it.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:30 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Say what you want, but JVR has a combination of size, speed and skill that makes defensemen have nightmares.

I'm not saying JVR necessarily has a better skill-set than Ryan, but to say that it's Ryan hands down is just not a claim that anyone can make at this point in time.

Ryan right now is the better player, but we're talking skill-set and potential. Right now doesn't mean **** in an argument about future.
Haha you just proved to me you dont even know wha kind of game Bobby Ryan has. He is as big as JVR, as fast as JVR if not faster but has a better shot, is more physical and is a top 10 stick handler in the entire league

Old
01-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I'm not saying to make them a center piece. I'm saying pass on Ryan because they don't need him, keep the depth this team has at forward upgrade and get a #5 and possibly #6 defensemen and roll with it.
That's cool.
I am still interested in Bobby Ryan if he is available. Even if we as you said do not need him.
Quote:
Haha you just proved to me you dont even know wha kind of game Bobby Ryan has. He is as big as JVR, as fast as JVR if not faster but has a better shot, is more physical and is a top 10 stick handler in the entire league
THis part is not true. JVR is a better skater. I am not saying Ryan is bad, just not as good as JVR. Ryan plays bigger game. Hits harder, plays corners and around the net. He is much closer to power forward then JVR. imo

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-08-2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old
01-08-2012, 12:35 AM
Krishna

Nitro.. I love you. Even when i am feeling like crap, your proposals make me lol so hard

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:42 AM
phlocky

First off, the Flyers won't be giving up any of their top 4 dmen in season this year. If the deal actually IS for somebody + Coburn then that deal won't be made until AFTER the season is over and we have a chance to structure our defense for the year accordingly.

Second, Bobby Ryan is EAXCTLY the type of player we were hoping JVR would develop into when we drafted JVR. Yes Ryan is having a down year and it can raise speculation that much of his success was the result of his linemates (them having a down year is the reason for Ryan having a bad year) but you can't deny that Ryan IS an excellent player and one of the top skilled scoring forwards in the league. If we could trade JVR for Ryan straight up we'd do it in a heartbeat, make no mistake about it. I love JVR as much as anybody and I fully expect him to reach the same level as Ryan but there is still a good chance that he doesn't and if you can get a TRUE top line LW for your struggling (albeit because of injuries or not) young HOPEFULLY top line LWthen you do it and oyu don't look back.

third, if a deal is to be made inseason it will likely be something like JVR + 2012 1st rnd pick + Marshall/MAB. That's more than either Carter or Richards returned in their trades but in all honesty, Ryan HAS more value than Richards or Carter did. It's probably less than what their fans want in return for Ryan (they are expecting a kings ransome in return for him if you read on the trade/rumors board) and probably more than Philly fans want to give up. Regardless of whether any of us want to give up this much or not, it's most likely pretty close to what he'd return in a trade and you can bet your ass that Holmgren is in the trade discussion talks regarding Bobby Ryan.

On a side note, if the trade talks are for Schenn instead of JVR, then the Flyers are most likely discussing Ryan Getzlaf and not Bobby Ryan. Of course the Flyers would most likely have to add to the 1st plus Marshall/MAB to get the other Ryan but with a one two three punch of Giroux, Getzlaf and Couturier we'd be as dangerous down the middle as even the Pens IMO (plus we'd have much better depth at wing too).

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:45 AM
G Money

i think we should worry about letting goals in not scoring them

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:45 AM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
First off, the Flyers won't be giving up any of their top 4 dmen in season this year. If the deal actually IS for somebody + Coburn then that deal won't be made until AFTER the season is over and we have a chance to structure our defense for the year accordingly.

Second, Bobby Ryan is EAXCTLY the type of player we were hoping JVR would develop into when we drafted JVR. Yes Ryan is having a down year and it can raise speculation that much of his success was the result of his linemates (them having a down year is the reason for Ryan having a bad year) but you can't deny that Ryan IS an excellent player and one of the top skilled scoring forwards in the league. If we could trade JVR for Ryan straight up we'd do it in a heartbeat, make no mistake about it. I love JVR as much as anybody and I fully expect him to reach the same level as Ryan but there is still a good chance that he doesn't and if you can get a TRUE top line LW for your struggling (albeit because of injuries or not) young HOPEFULLY top line LWthen you do it and oyu don't look back.

third, if a deal is to be made inseason it will likely be something like JVR + 2012 1st rnd pick + Marshall/MAB. That's more than either Carter or Richards returned in their trades but in all honesty, Ryan HAS more value than Richards or Carter did. It's probably less than what their fans want in return for Ryan (they are expecting a kings ransome in return for him if you read on the trade/rumors board) and probably more than Philly fans want to give up. Regardless of whether any of us want to give up this much or not, it's most likely pretty close to what he'd return in a trade and you can bet your ass that Holmgren is in the trade discussion talks regarding Bobby Ryan.

On a side note, if the trade talks are for Schenn instead of JVR, then the Flyers are most likely discussing Ryan Getzlaf and not Bobby Ryan. Of course the Flyers would most likely have to add to the 1st plus Marshall/MAB to get the other Ryan but with a one two three punch of Giroux, Getzlaf and Couturier we'd be as dangerous down the middle as even the Pens IMO (plus we'd have much better depth at wing too).
Umm no it isn't

Old
01-08-2012, 12:50 AM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
i think we should worry about letting goals in not scoring them
Yeah pretty much this.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

problem with getzlaf is that he is close to needing a big contract and we would have to pay more than we would have for bobby ryan. But still the guy is 26 and was a top forward on a cup winning team. If he wants to play motivated then he would be dangerous on the one-two punch behind Giroux. If it was getzlaf then i wouldnt mind parting ways with schenn. When he is on his game he is a beast.

No idea why he is doing so poorly but he has been well over a ppg his last 4 seasons before this. I wish some how we could get Ryan/getzlaf and weber/suter while only giving up just one of schenn/couturier/jvr/voracek period but thats probably impossible.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:46 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Bobby Ryan is my favorite player not in a flyers uniform, and I have wanted him on this team from the time I knew he was going to make an impact in the NHL (pre draft).

That being said, I would not be willing to give up what would likely need to be given up to get him at this time.

In the best interest of the team, those assets that would be used to get Ryan, would be much better used to get us a defenseman.

Scoring is far from our biggest issue ATM.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:56 AM
Mgkibbles

Can Bobby Ryan play D better than Matt Carle? If so I'm in.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:07 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Bobby Ryan is smaller than JVR, but plays more physical. The tendency is becoming that taller players do not play as physical as middle range players like Ryan.

JVR is faster than Ryan. Sorry, he just is.

JVR and Ryan both have a great shot. You'd probably have to have both on the practice ice running through designed tests and grills to determine the better.

Ryan is a better stickhandler than JVR, but JVR has better vision/passing.

All you're doing is proving to me that you can jump on Ryan's jock and hate on JVR for being injured/in a slump.

Oh...and JVR, in his current injured and slumping state, has only 2 less points in six less games than the guy you're so enamored with.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:07 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Can Bobby Ryan play D better than Matt Carle? If so I'm in.
The odds are probably for him, as well as my Great Dane, Loki.... He wears number 00... As in w00f

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote