HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gazette Article on Protest

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 01:26 AM
Bunka Gurndeep

vCash: 500
Gazette Article on Protest

Quote:
Not everyone outside the Bell Centre agreed with that gesture, however. Greg Pike, a South Shore native who recently returned home after studying in New Brunswick, showed up with a cardboard sign that read “I love Randy."
Pretty funny read. I'm glad that the Gazette is actually showing both sides to this whole debate instead of running with it in a negative light as they usually do.

On a side note I went to Mount Allison University with this Greg Pike guy and he was hilarious then and clearly still is now.

Full article : http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...487/story.html

Old
01-08-2012, 02:09 AM
Killerguitar101*

Send a message via AIM to Killerguitar101*
I was waiting for the usual franco-bashing from them. It's not as worst as I was thinking.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:22 AM
NotProkofievian

Well its nice to see the anti-Randy faction come out and admit that this whole thing is completely political. That Josee Racine admits that she's not even a habs fan.

So far as I'm concerned she can **** off then, as the habs don't stand to lose much revenue from her.

So far as the Molsons see it, a bunch of people who weren't wearing habs merchandise, and didn't have tickets to the game showed up and complained, while 21,273 people showed up, as usual, to scream go habs go, and drink 10 dollar beer from the Molson brewery.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:24 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunka Gurndeep View Post
Pretty funny read. I'm glad that the Gazette is actually showing both sides to this whole debate instead of running with it in a negative light as they usually do.

On a side note I went to Mount Allison University with this Greg Pike guy and he was hilarious then and clearly still is now.

Full article : http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...487/story.html
Quebec is part of Canada and Canada has two official languages. I hate it when people claim French is the official language of Quebec and purposely mislead people into thinking it's a sin to speak English when we have every right to by law.

And why are there no people picketing in front of the family of Lecavalier and Briere for not signing with Montreal when they had the choice? It's not like the Habs are avoiding French players and a French speaking coach on purpose.

Who remembers the years where Rejean Houle had his staff draft players from the LHJMQ just because they were french and never even made it in the NHL just to please the Fans? He traded or signed as free agents Richer, Quintal, Poulin, Belanger, Lachance just to get some French names on the team. That was the beginning of the dark years which the Habs never recovered.

Montreal also had an advantage getting Quebec players to start their careers in Montreal because of rules existing before the 80's that aren't around anymore.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/hoc.../canadiens.htm

It's harder and harder for for teams to be competitive in the NHL and it's harder and harder for the Canadiens to have more talented French players on their team.. The rules have changed. The league has changed. The best Quebec players are fair game in the Draft and they get to sign where ever they want when they become UFA.

People are so ignorant it bothers me. One man even said Maurice Richard would turn in his grave if he heard the new coach could only speak English.. Seriously? Like Seriously? Who was his coach? Dick Irving and Toe Blake.. The arguments are horrid. What should we do? Eradicate all the Stanley cup banners in the Bell center where the coaches only spoke English?

I can't wait for people to wake up and see things won't ever be like before the 70ies.

I hope the Habs find ways to attract more French players and for the fans who can't speak English, I hope either Cunnyworth learns French or they find a good French speaking coach, but please people, don't think there's a conspiracy to destroy the French language and culture just because there a lack of competent winning candidates and once in 50 years the Habs put an Anglo behind the bench..

Old
01-08-2012, 06:24 AM
shutehinside

Events like this make me happy I moved out of Quebec and sad to be a Quebecer. It's another instance of how these people revel in their ignorance and how Molson will eventually enable them instead of focusing on what the Canadiems main goal is; winning.

If the Habs hire Francophones to appease the separatists rather than winning, I may have to find a new team to root for. I'm a hockey fan, not a Quebec history fan!

Old
01-08-2012, 06:32 AM
ROSSter

Seriously do these people not have more free time!

Old
01-08-2012, 06:39 AM
CarknerCountry

id love for a guy like Price to say i want a trade because im english and dont want to play in a french city...

Old
01-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Lafleurs Guy

This thread is going to end well.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:37 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Disgrace.

If I was Molson I'd get an English GM and coach just to troll these idiots.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Disgrace.

This... would be... awesome.

Oh, and who are the downies that decided that the team is losing because the current interim coach is Anglophone, and thus a protest is obviously called for? LOL at those fools for making themselves out as clearly clueless bigoted short bus passengers.

edit: I mean, seriously? "Politics are everywhere, so we decided to make a political statement." {paraphrased} ... le sigh.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 01-08-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old
01-08-2012, 09:03 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Disgrace.

God, it would be... priceless.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:03 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Events like this make me happy I moved out of Quebec and sad to be a Quebecer. It's another instance of how these people revel in their ignorance and how Molson will eventually enable them instead of focusing on what the Canadiems main goal is; winning.

If the Habs hire Francophones to appease the separatists rather than winning, I may have to find a new team to root for. I'm a hockey fan, not a Quebec history fan!
really lol

Old
01-08-2012, 09:17 AM
habdynasty

Quote:
Disgrace.

That would be great.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

I hope these protesters know that out of the 24 cups this franchise has won... only three were won under a francophone coach... just throwing that out there

Old
01-08-2012, 09:24 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
I hope these protesters know that out of the 24 cups this franchise has won... only three were won under a francophone coach... just throwing that out there
Winning is irrelevant. The Canadiens are deeply tied to the Quebec culture and should represent the Quebecers. The rest is irrelevant.

Would rather lose with a Quebecois head coach than win the cup with a anglophone coach.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:28 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Quebec is part of Canada and Canada has two official languages. I hate it when people claim French is the official language of Quebec and purposely mislead people into thinking it's a sin to speak English when we have every right to by law.

And why are there no people picketing in front of the family of Lecavalier and Briere for not signing with Montreal when they had the choice? It's not like the Habs are avoiding French players and a French speaking coach on purpose.

Who remembers the years where Rejean Houle had his staff draft players from the LHJMQ just because they were french and never even made it in the NHL just to please the Fans? He traded or signed as free agents Richer, Quintal, Poulin, Belanger, Lachance just to get some French names on the team. That was the beginning of the dark years which the Habs never recovered.

Montreal also had an advantage getting Quebec players to start their careers in Montreal because of rules existing before the 80's that aren't around anymore.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/hoc.../canadiens.htm

It's harder and harder for for teams to be competitive in the NHL and it's harder and harder for the Canadiens to have more talented French players on their team.. The rules have changed. The league has changed. The best Quebec players are fair game in the Draft and they get to sign where ever they want when they become UFA.

People are so ignorant it bothers me. One man even said Maurice Richard would turn in his grave if he heard the new coach could only speak English.. Seriously? Like Seriously? Who was his coach? Dick Irving and Toe Blake.. The arguments are horrid. What should we do? Eradicate all the Stanley cup banners in the Bell center where the coaches only spoke English?

I can't wait for people to wake up and see things won't ever be like before the 70ies.

I hope the Habs find ways to attract more French players and for the fans who can't speak English, I hope either Cunnyworth learns French or they find a good French speaking coach, but please people, don't think there's a conspiracy to destroy the French language and culture just because there a lack of competent winning candidates and once in 50 years the Habs put an Anglo behind the bench..

Well hate it as you want but French IS the language of Quebec. And whether it is part of Canada or not, whether you are a separatist or not, everybody with some knowledge will understand that this country is build with 2 great solitudes. Everytime there's a survey, this province vote the other way that most of the other provinces are voting. Most provinces went with a conservative party while we went with a left-wing party. And when this NPD vague will stop in 4 years, I can tell you that this province will surely go back to the Bloc once again. Not everybody, I know. But we are talking about the majority. Yet, the majority does not want to separate. But they don't trust that the rest of Canada is actually taking the right decision for their own interest. I think that's pretty clear. So we have things in common. Language and culture isn't one of them. The prerequisite to have a bilingual coach could be tougher than anywhere else. Yet, it is possible. Most coaches we have had even in our tougher of times have ended up being quite good at the NHL level. Calgary does not have this problem....did they end up with better coaches? Toronto? Ottawa? Edmonton? Vancouver? Oh yes, Vancouver did with....Alain Vigneault.

I believe that people who keeps saying that we are reducing the number of great candidates are just eithier not interested to look at what the Q produces or just think that the Q sucks period. Which anglophones here knew Guy Boucher before the medias started to sell it to you? But then people will say "well, he sucks doesn't he, look at his record, he wasn't that good after all..." Well that's not the point. It's Yzerman who got him. Not another french friend. Besides, we can't say that the Yzerman-Boucher sucks after 2 years. We are told by a lot of people in this very own board to be patient with the Gauthier-Gainey pairing after 8 freakin years....it it works for us, has to work for them.

Why are people not picketing in front of Brière's and Lecavalier's families? Are you serious? Don't you hear the booing that Brière gets everytime he touches the puck? Don't you think it's a tough enough statement for a guy who just evidently chose a better team? Come on.

And then you go on to explain how it's important to not concentrate solely on the locals with the Réjean Houle era? Again, seriously? Yes, this is was the worst choice ever. Probably not at the Milbury level (see an anglo could be really bad as well), but he clearly made us go backwards for at least 5-7 years. At best. And yes, they went with francos which credentials were only their language. WHICH IS NOT WHAT PEOPLE WANT. (not sure how many times I have to write this). Yes, the Q is not what it used to be. But there are still great prospects in there. Hindsight or not, you could have had a team filled with Bergeron, Pominville, Giroux, Perron, Vlasic, Letang etc. if you wanted to. Paired with plugglers like Laperrière, Talbot, Lapierre. The talent is there. It's not as clear. But when you believe in something, you do the extra mile and put your confidence in what you believe in. We put our confidence in the American program. We believe in it. Result? 14 freakin picks coming from the American system since 2007 (including Louis Leblanc a Quebecer yet, the program was American). Now, are the US better at developing right now than the Q? Surely. And while I'm a Q fan, people know how a NCAA fan I am as well. Go Wolverines. But it will be real interesting to see how many will get out and be NHL pros compared to the Q products we have chosen or not chose to make room for the Americans. We will see in a later time. 2007 looks good for McDo and MaxPac. While we all love and adore MaxPac as you can see with my avatar, if we would have went with Perron, nothing suggest we would have less appreciate him. In later rounds, while we went with Stejskal and Conboy, only an ontarian native but Q product, Paul Byron has played some games. Yes, another diminutive Q product, yet, we don't seem to hate those guys do we? 2008. I like Quailer, I really do. Some untapped potential there. Yet, much later was drafted Jason Demers. Okay, that's hindsight. But that is not the point. The point is while talent is tougher to find. IT IS THERE. And for the ONLY team who has a supposed LOCAL combine, aren't we supposed to be on top of the other teams?

Not like the Habs are avoiding french players? Sorry, this is where I beg to differ. I might not have any proof so that's just an opinion. But Gauthier wants to control everything as we already know. And he probably would want to control what's coming out of his players' mouths. For that, you need to reduce the number of people talking. And since french medias always go to politically correct Darche, well that's less distraction for the Habs, or so they think. 'Cause then they disregard the distraction that not having a whole lot of guys is causing. Again, when you want them, you get them. And we saw a diminution of those guys lately. While in the same time, TBay has seen an augmentation of those guys. While in the same time, you see a team like Philly who has drafted 8 guys coming from the Q since 2007. Not all with success, I know. But it is just to show that when you have an interest in it, you go the extra mile to do so. We've have had 5 Q guys since that draft.

Oh and the rule about french players....look it up...it didn't last very long.

Yes, there are great players everywhere. I just said that we have to be present everywhere, Sweden etc....But the Q cannot be discarded the way they are doing. And next time, when you do a local combine, just don't pick a guy like Giroux 'cause he has slower feet than Mathieu Carle.....

Old
01-08-2012, 09:31 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
really lol
Yes, really.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:33 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Winning is irrelevant. The Canadiens are deeply tied to the Quebec culture and should represent the Quebecers. The rest is irrelevant.

Would rather lose with a Quebecois head coach than win the cup with a anglophone coach.
Agree, seeing how much support a coach with a 3-7 record have shows that.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:34 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Yes, really.
shows how much you know

Old
01-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Only 200 protesters?

What is the population of Quebec again?

Old
shutehinside

The only thing that should concern the Montreal Canadiens is WINNING, period, pointe final, whatever. Each and ever decision should be based soley on that. Anything else is an insult to the fan base.

The Canadiens may be a Quebec team but they have far more fans around Canada and the world than they do in Quebec who speak English and don't give a **** about why language the coach or gm speaks. Do they not have a voice or say? All the majority of any fan base wants is to win.

Old
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
Agree, seeing how much support a coach with a 3-7 record have shows that.
Where were you all those years when us francophones (Yes I'm a franchophone) were happy to be winning cups under anglophone coaches?

Old
01-08-2012, 09:38 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
shows how much you know
Yes it does. Thanks for noticing and pointing it out.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Here's what's pissing me off about these stupid protests. Read and marvel of the opinion of MQF president Mario Beaulieu :

Quote:
“The Montreal Canadiens management does not respect the status of French as Quebec’s official language,” said MQF president Mario Beaulieu in a release issued in French in advance of the demonstration. “The music played in the Bell Centre is English. All announcements made in the arena are bilingual. There are only two or three francophone players left on the team. And now they have named a head coach who doesn’t speak a word of French. Not even ‘Bonjour’.”
He has no idea how many French players are on the team - he can only generalize. WTF is up with that? This is the leader of these people! And didn't Randy, after Eller's 5 point outburst, speak French to the media? I'm no French expert, but what he stated at that interview was far more extensive than simply bonjour!

These people are just *****ing to get in the spotlight. They are totally out of touch with the game of hockey, and I bet most aren't even Habs fans.

Zero respect for them.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:44 AM
compile

vCash: 611
When the French signed the document back in 1867 the soil the in which you stand on became part of Canada. Quebec can seperate all they want, but you won't have health care, have to create a new currency, pay a tax for being on Canadian soil, and restrict yourself to 1 trading partner.

The fact that if I put up an English sign and can be fined for doing so is facist and discrimination. Speak French all you want I don't care but keep your sniveling ******** out of sport.

Closed Thread