HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gazette Article on Protest

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 10:45 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

vCash: 500
Frst, there is a world outside the Montreal Canadiens fan base. Many of these protesters come from that world. So "winning" is not the only metric here.

I'm an anglo but I speak three languages and I understand the special position of Quebec -- seven million francos surrounded by 350 million anglos -- would be a pity if the place were Louisiana-ized. So people stand on guard for their culture. Hey, that sounds Canadian doesn't it.

Looks like it was a fun protest, too bad some posters here seem to disagree either with the right of assembly or with the preservation of the French language and Quebec culture.

If RC wants to work in a French environment he should pick up some grammatical structures, stock phrases and a few dozen words of hockey vocabulary that he can toss out in pressers. Is that so difficult to grasp? Honestly I think some of the people protesting the protesters are the real knuckleheads.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:45 AM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
Here's what's pissing me off about these stupid protests. Read and marvel of the opinion of MQF president Mario Beaulieu :

He has no idea how many French players are on the team - he can only generalize. WTF is up with that? This is the leader of these people! And didn't Randy, after Eller's 5 point outburst, speak French to the media? I'm no French expert, but what he stated at that interview was far more extensive than simply bonjour!

These people are just *****ing to get in the spotlight. They are totally out of touch with the game of hockey, and I bet most aren't even Habs fans.

Zero respect for them.
ROFL. Complaining that "All announcements made in the arena are bilingual." Priceless.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:46 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Where were you all those years when us francophones (Yes I'm a franchophone) were happy to be winning cups under anglophone coaches?
so, what you're saying is, you're damn old!

Old
01-08-2012, 10:50 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Agree, seeing how much support a coach with a 3-7 record have shows that.
You know Pine is being sarcastic and not being literal. At least we all know exactly how you feel.

It's great having fans like you on board!

Old
01-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

So, if these losers are complaining about Montreal and saying they don't follow the bilingualism rule, then why don't they complain about Ottawa... ?

Old
01-08-2012, 10:53 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
You know Pine is being sarcastic and not being literal. At least we all know exactly how you feel.

It's great having fans like you on board!
haha! I'd love to read that.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
haha! I'd love to read that.
Here's what Francophone hero and ex Hab, Yvan Cournoyer feels about the "protest." He's a true Quebecer.

http://m.ledevoir.com/sports/hockey/...mauvais-menage

Old
01-08-2012, 10:59 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Here's what Francophone hero and ex Hab, Yvan Cournoyer feels about the "protest." He's a true Quebecer.

http://m.ledevoir.com/sports/hockey/...mauvais-menage
Why dont you also post a link to separatist Serge Savard who shares his views on the coach being an unilingual anglo while at it

Old
01-08-2012, 10:59 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

The language of the Habs is winning!

Join the facebook group!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...1223116638472/

waffledave
Old
01-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Frst, there is a world outside the Montreal Canadiens fan base. Many of these protesters come from that world. So "winning" is not the only metric here.

I'm an anglo but I speak three languages and I understand the special position of Quebec -- seven million francos surrounded by 350 million anglos -- would be a pity if the place were Louisiana-ized. So people stand on guard for their culture. Hey, that sounds Canadian doesn't it.

Looks like it was a fun protest, too bad some posters here seem to disagree either with the right of assembly or with the preservation of the French language and Quebec culture.

If RC wants to work in a French environment he should pick up some grammatical structures, stock phrases and a few dozen words of hockey vocabulary that he can toss out in pressers. Is that so difficult to grasp? Honestly I think some of the people protesting the protesters are the real knuckleheads.
I'm a French Canadian and I'm fine with having an anglophone coach, but the anti-french b.s going on in this board is making me facepalm.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:03 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Why dont you also post a link to separatist Serge Savard who shares his views on the coach being an unilingual anglo while at it
Because once again, the only condition should be to win. I could care less if the coach was Chinese and the GM was a monkey if they helped win Stanley Cups. If they spoke French, all the better. If you had to choose between Bancock or Roy, would you take Roy based only on the fact he speaks French?

What language he speaks has no relevance to anything. I'd love to hear why it's so important that they speak French?

Old
01-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Taupy

Here's Guy Lafleur takes on the issue: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/01...-same-anymore/

Old
01-08-2012, 11:06 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Because once again, the only condition should be to win. I could care less if the coach was Chinese and the GM was a monkey if they helped win Stanley Cups. If they spoke French, all the better. If you had to choose between Bancock or Roy, would you take Roy based only on the fact he speaks French?

What language he speaks has no relevance to anything. I'd love to hear why it's so important that they speak French?
where do you get this idea that when a french name is tossed around, the only reason is because he's french ?

Old
01-08-2012, 11:11 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
where do you get this idea that when a french name is tossed around, the only reason is because he's french ?
I think you should root for l’Assemblée*Nationale and leave the Habs to fans who actually want to win.

Btw, affirmative action is proven to be a huge debacle and doesn't work. Best person for the job is the best way to go. If you cant see that than that's your problem, don't make it everyone else.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:13 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I think you should root for l’Assemblée*Nationale and leave the Habs to fans who actually want to win.

Btw, affirmative action is proven to be a huge debacle and doesn't work. Best person for the job is the best way to go. If you cant see that than that's your problem, don't make it everyone else.
so, what you're saying is you have no awnser. Good to know.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:22 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
so, what you're saying is you have no awnser. Good to know.
No, what I'm saying is I don't answer to you and that I don't think your a Canadiens fan. You're obviously most interested in politics than hockey so you should root for that instead of hockey. Last I heard, hockey was a mix of different cultures and nationalities all playing to one goal, win a cup. Language and nationality only becomes an issue for one team, and due to one segment of the population that has absolutely nothing to do with hockey itself.

Also good to know as it adds context to all your future posts

Old
01-08-2012, 11:24 AM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
The language spoken in the Montreal Canadiens locker room, just like every other locker room in the NHL, is English. As long as he is able to communicate with his players (which is his job), that's all that matters.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:26 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:

Yeah you are not getting this. The issue is older and deeper than this season's win-loss record. The issue touches the culture and society of Quebec. I'm pretty sure not all the protesters agree with you that "winning the Stanley Cup" is all that matters, as not all protesters are even fans.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:28 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Yeah you are not getting this. The issue is older and deeper than this season's win-loss record. The issue touches the culture and society of Quebec. I'm pretty sure not all the protesters agree with you that "winning the Stanley Cup" is all that matters, as not all protesters are even fans.
Well let me ask you this question. What do you call a fan who doesnt care if their team wins as long as the coach speaks French?

I don't call them fans at all.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:28 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
The language spoken in the Montreal Canadiens locker room, just like every other locker room in the NHL, is English. As long as he is able to communicate with his players (which is his job), that's all that matters.
The majority of Quebecers disagree with that.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:30 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Well let me ask you this question. What do you call a fan who doesnt care if their team wins as long as the coach speaks French?

I don't call them fans at all.
I'm not sure you're grasping this. This has become an issue affecting Quebec society. You do understand that not everyone in Quebec is a hockey fan first, some people have other interests, for example social environment, cultural preservation?

Old
01-08-2012, 11:31 AM
BLONG7

Very unfortunate that the Habs get dragged into a political bru-ha-ha...as mentioned, it's about winning hockey games...

Notice Guy Lafleur mentions in Bowman's time with the Habs, he never spoke a word of french...a winning hockey team will make this issue go away, or at least put it on the back burner.

Let's give RC a real chance here...

Old
01-08-2012, 11:38 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
I'm not sure you're grasping this. This has become an issue affecting Quebec society. You do understand that not everyone in Quebec is a hockey fan first, some people have other interests, for example social environment, cultural preservation?
Well than why don't they protest Allouettes games? And if they have other interests than why not peruse those instead of protesting a hockey coach who's doing his best at a job he's trying desperately to do well at? Their behavior and actions are deplorable and I'll placed.

As for the culture and past of Quebec and hockey, please read what Guy Lafleur had to say about it. Even he said in the past it didn't matter what language the coach spoke and that many coaches in the past barely spoke French if at all. Didn't seem to bother anyone at the time when the Canadiens were winning cups all the time. It wasn't a cultural issue then and language never came into the picture in the past.

This is a present day issue, not an old school cultural thing. Habs don't get first dibs on Quebec players anymore and the ones they can get, don't want to come back for the most part. If this is what you believe then you're not seeing things clearly because you're being blinded by the language issue yourself.

The old' days? I wish!

Old
01-08-2012, 11:40 AM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
If you are saying that the majority of Quebecers disagree that the language spoken in every locker room in the NHL, Montreal's included, is English, then you are saying that the majority of Quebecers are clueless.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:42 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
But the majority of their FANS agree.

Closed Thread