HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Caps World Junior Championship Thread (Kuznetsov's Playground)

Old
01-06-2012, 03:21 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
I saw some of those passes and remember thinking, "yep that would have gone the other way for a scoring chance ala Semin".

I'm psyched to get this kid here. There was one play last night where he took the puck in his own zone and almost casually cut through 3 Swedish players like they weren't even there, coast to coast into the offensive zone for a scoring chance. Silky smooth.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 03:31 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Yep. Those passes won't work that often at the NHL level. None of them technically worked last night as they didn't score. But the 1-2 actual chances you get out of 10, the other 8-9 go the other way for more possession for the opposition at the NHL level.

Those passes plus some of his effort battling/skating for loose pucks bothered me. He seemed intent to save his energy for longer shifts while using his reach to attempt to steal the puck. It worked a few times.

But yeah... the powerful stride, long reach, wicked shots, direct arial passes on the tape. A lot of good.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 05:38 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I appreciated him trying them - being heavily out shot, his teams minimal chances, his G standing on his head. Not trying to shoot every time and be the hero; unselfish. At least they were all directed towards the goal IIRC, minimizing the potential damage. Maybe his linemates never realized where to go.

Sure it looked like all star game passing, but if the shoe fits, wear it.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-06-2012 at 05:59 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Those passes plus some of his effort battling/skating for loose pucks bothered me. He seemed intent to save his energy for longer shifts while using his reach to attempt to steal the puck. It worked a few times.
I think part of it was he was just exhausted by the end of the game, especially in OT. Though he does try to anticipate the play rather than aggressively chasing the puck, which has its own pros and cons depending on how well he reads a particular play and if the opponent can adjust.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 05:46 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Trade him!

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:41 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Trade him!
No. He could be a fantastic #2C or at least respectable. He's better than MoJo, Halpern or Laich surely at that position. If you trade him, you need a 2C back -- think Getzlaf, Carter, or Weiss.

aquablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:47 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I think part of it was he was just exhausted by the end of the game, especially in OT. Though he does try to anticipate the play rather than aggressively chasing the puck, which has its own pros and cons depending on how well he reads a particular play and if the opponent can adjust.
I'd like to think that. But I noticed it all game. Just hoping its something that he can break easily. I think so.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:08 PM
aquablue

Although I prefer Yakupov's terrier style, kuzya reminds me of a mix of semin and backstrom. He might not be 2C material though if he's a floater. The caps could perhaps use a more power foward style C to complement the cerebral Backstrom, while keeping Kuzy on the wing or trading him for said center. What do you think about where he should be playing or if we should trade him for a major 2C or something like that?

Last edited by aquablue: 01-06-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old
01-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
No. He could be a fantastic #2C or at least respectable. He's better than MoJo, Halpern or Laich surely at that position. If you trade him, you need a 2C back -- think Getzlaf, Carter, or Weiss.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:47 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Although I prefer Yakupov's terrier style, kuzya reminds me of a mix of semin and backstrom. He might not be 2C material though if he's a floater. The caps could perhaps use a more power foward style C to complement the cerebral Backstrom, while keeping Kuzy on the wing or trading him for said center. What do you think about where he should be playing or if we should trade him for a major 2C or something like that?
Why would we trade him?
He's our only lineup lock player prospect right now.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:19 PM
aquablue

I wouldn't. I'm just throwing it out there given what was said. I'd only do it under exceptional circumstances. If we were offered a top center I might do it. Anyway, I think he could be our star center in a couple of years.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:

Old
01-06-2012, 11:38 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Whatever the mistake I made, you still get my basic meaning. I'd only trade him for a top guy who can help us win in the next few years. Not Weiss on second thought, just Getzlaf or someone of that ilk.

Old
01-07-2012, 11:49 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

According to f n Twitter, barring an NHL lockout, Kuz will be coming to North America next season.

stanleycaps98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:34 PM
CatOTails

Excuse me gentlemen, is Kuznetsov RW or C?

CatOTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatOTails View Post
Excuse me gentlemen, is Kuznetsov RW or C?

Both.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

In the NHL he will play wing.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 03:49 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Not sure your point there, all 3 of those guys are more than capable of 2nd line center and Getzlaf is a top line guy at most teams...Weiss arguably too. Not a huge Carter fan but if you can score 30 goals and not be seen as a top 2nd line calibre player then thats pretty effing impressive.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:14 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Any update on contract talk guys? Is Kuz any closer to signing a contract?

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:20 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Bump? Anyone with any kind of info?

Old
01-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Langway
Intangibles

No, no updates. Just that Kuznetsov has already decided on where he's playing next season and Russian NA journalists have a hunch it'll be in the NHL. That's my reading as well based on the politics of such a decision. Don't expect anything official until after the World Championships most likely.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I expect McPhee would have done a bit of reduction of expectations and damage control already when he was interviewed if he had a good chance of not getting Kuznetsov to come over.

I'm pretty certain there's minimal chance he would have let that be the front page of the team website (with the interview on him and talking about what he can do) if they thought it was a toss up or less to get him over here next season.

While I do think it's still in the air, and I think there's a chance a monster offer could keep in the KHL or some crazy underhanded MOB/military junk that is possible in Russia, I expect McPhee has an idea that it's a pretty solid chance he will come.

It might be something like 75-80% to give a random guesstimate, but he would downplay the chances of him being here a lot more and sell the he could stay.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:25 AM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
No, no updates. Just that Kuznetsov has already decided on where he's playing next season and Russian NA journalists have a hunch it'll be in the NHL. That's my reading as well based on the politics of such a decision. Don't expect anything official until after the World Championships most likely.
Appreciate the response.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar View Post
Not sure your point there, all 3 of those guys are more than capable of 2nd line center and Getzlaf is a top line guy at most teams...Weiss arguably too. Not a huge Carter fan but if you can score 30 goals and not be seen as a top 2nd line calibre player then thats pretty effing impressive.
Do you seriously not see the difference between guys like Getzlaf and Carter compared to a player like Weiss? Both Carter and Getzlaf have had point/game seasons. Carter has tallied 46 goals before. Getzlaf has a cup ring and a 91 point season. Weiss has a career high of 61 points. He's a fine player, but not even remotely close to Carter or Getzlaf.