HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gazette Article on Protest

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 10:43 AM
MasterD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
The majority of Quebecers disagree with that.
"The majority of quebecers" should get off their ass and start working, make money, and buy their own damn team then. They have no more say in who gets hired by the Habs than who gets hired by Bombardier or Wal-Mart.

The Habs don't owe you or me anything. You pay 1 ticket, you get to see 1 game, that's it. Je suis québécois francophone and I can't stand our people's mindset. We had a stupid unionized mentality and it's running us collectively directly in a wall. No one owes you a damn thing, get that in your head, and work to get what you want, the way you want it.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Ginu

Quote:
I'm not sure you're grasping this. This has become an issue affecting Quebec society. You do understand that not everyone in Quebec is a hockey fan first, some people have other interests, for example social environment, cultural preservation?
But what does that have to do with hockey? This is a professional sport in which the aim is to win.

I take offense to that. I'm a Canadian-born Pakistani who's loved the Habs for over 25 years. I'm not French but I'm just as much of a fan as you are. Who are you to tell me that your wishes of the Canadiens are more important than mine?

And who are you to attempt to change the product on the ice and affect the chances of my team winning?

Old
01-08-2012, 10:45 AM
pine

vCash: 50
People are stupid.

Old
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
If you are saying that the majority of Quebecers disagree that the language spoken in every locker room in the NHL, Montreal's included, is English, then you are saying that the majority of Quebecers are clueless.
No I am perfectly aware and I think Quebecers are that the language spoken in locker rooms is English. What a daft suggestion. I was responding to the other sentence in your post, "As long as he is able to communicate with his players (which is his job), that's all that matters." The majority of Quebecers (72% in Journal de Montreal poll last month) disagree with that. They want a coach who can express himself in French.

Old
CTHabsfan

Quote:
I'm not sure you're grasping this. This has become an issue affecting Quebec society. You do understand that not everyone in Quebec is a hockey fan first, some people have other interests, for example social environment, cultural preservation?
The coach of the Montreal Canadiens only job is to win games. Would the protesters care if a public restroom that they use was cleaned by a person who only speaks Spanish, as long as the facility was clean?

Old
01-08-2012, 10:47 AM
MasterD

Quote:
No I am perfectly aware and I think Quebecers are that the language spoken in locker rooms is English. What a daft suggestion. I was responding to the other sentence in your post, "As long as he is able to communicate with his players (which is his job), that's all that matters." The majority of Quebecers (72% in Journal de Montreal poll last month) disagree with that. They want a coach who can express himself in French.
They also want the government to up the spendings and lower their taxes. Not going to happen. The people does not control what happens in private companies, neither to they control what is not theirs.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Please address my question above. Thanks.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:49 AM
LePoche69

Just a side note because I often read a mistake made here:

Most protesters in Quebec don't ask for a francophone coach. They ask for a coach that can speak french. The difference is huge. So the whole "only 6 cups have been won by french coaches" argument is totally irrelevent.

And by the way, I'm not sure where I'm standing in that debate, so my post is not to be on the "french" side...

Old
01-08-2012, 10:52 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
But what does that have to do with hockey? This is a professional sport in which the aim is to win.

I take offense to that. I'm a Canadian-born Pakistani who's loved the Habs for over 25 years. I'm not French but I'm just as much of a fan as you are. Who are you to tell me that your wishes of the Canadiens are more important than mine?

And who are you to attempt to change the product on the ice and affect the chances of my team winning?
Sadly now it has little to do with hockey, you are right. The backlash is coming from different areas, it is unifying for the culture-first and soft nationalist types, and divisive for most others, especially fans, not a good thing.

That's what surprises me, are Geoff Molson and Pierre Gauthier so out of touch that they couldn't see this coming? Now the genie is out of the bottle and will be difficult to put back.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:53 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
I'm a French Canadian and I'm fine with having an anglophone coach, but the anti-french b.s going on in this board is making me facepalm.
It's really not anti-French, hopefully it's not coming across like that. I think most of us are FROM Montreal and we speak French just fine, but we're just not "French" (and some on this board ARE French and post en anglais). And we're now substituting the word French for these people cuz it's dragging on and due to the nature of the controversy, it's clearly the buzzword. So really what people are getting angry about is that a large group of exclusively French people from who the hell knows where in Quebec tarnishing out organization (ironic isn't it). It's one thing if this is about right and laws and other bs that usually dominated the political spectrum, but THIS, it being about the Habs. The bilingual, work together as two cultures Montreal Canadiens is too much. It's overstepping. The people trying to claim this team as their personal billboard are...French and they're doing a good job of making everyone who is like them (French people who don't share their views) look stupid. You think it looks bad on this board? Consider that almost everyone outside this city thinks we're ALL protesting Randy and that there are no fans who don't think this is an issue. They are branding us ALL as bigots. It's not by a long shot preserving a culture, it's trying to usurp one actually. The Habs do not belong to any particular cultural group or at the very least, they are couched in both english and french (this is getting tiring having to write this every day). The rest of the continent and wherever this is making small news will see it as Montreal citizens don't accept english-speaking coach (unilingual obviously).

It's embarrassing to all of us who support the team and not some empty, right out of the tea-party mould (take back our freedom, etc.) idiots. Moreover, it's more destructing to REAL fans of the actual TEAM.

Back to original point, nobody is bashing every French person, but the overwhelming trend that French leaders and their sheep mobilize to take over everything they can in the province and this time they can GTFO. Believe me, it's not good for English-French relations in the city and province. I'm from Montreal, but I live in Ontario now. I have a Québec flag on my wall and I'm proud of where I come from, defending us all the time, wearing it on my sleeve. This latest asinine bull crap makes me feel sick to my stomach. What am I really sticking up for? Are these my compatriots? These ignorant people who will not tolerate a coach who can't speak French...yet. Sad sad sad. I'm starting not to feel a little bit proud when people ask me, oh you're from Montreal, so you can speak French?

Old
01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
NJHABSFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Danielson View Post
Here's Guy Lafleur takes on the issue: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/01...-same-anymore/

I love Guy, As for the separatists on here "your" policy's killed the best city in Canada and made it a world wide Joke. And its about hockey not Que's team IT should be CANADA's TEAM. Fools. What a great reminder of why I left there and moved to the US. Get along it will make the city all that much better..Stupid ignorant fools ..Funny how these politicians scream for a french PQ but they send their kids to the best schools outside the same province. WAKE UP SHEEP !!!

Old
01-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Protest the Hero

Looks like a bunch of old Dinosaurs who are going to be dead in 30 years.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Sadly now it has little to do with hockey, you are right. The backlash is coming from different areas, it is unifying for the culture-first and soft nationalist types, and divisive for most others, especially fans, not a good thing.

That's what surprises me, are Geoff Molson and Pierre Gauthier so out of touch that they couldn't see this coming? Now the genie is out of the bottle and will be difficult to put back.
If you find that it's divisive for fans and the Canadiens are hurting in the win column, what do you think is best for the organization and its fans? Is the best way to create a winning culture to put language requirements above those for winning?

Old
01-08-2012, 11:06 AM
icerocket

I never knew so many francophones only watched/cared about the Habs post-game press conference.

"Yo on a gagné 5-0 hier soir!"

"On s'en fous! Cunneyworth parle juste en anglais! "

Old
01-08-2012, 11:11 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Anyway, got to get off the box.

It is unfortunate what's happening, I see and appreciate the various sides. It is important however to note that this is no longer a simple "win and fans will be happy" issue, it's beyond the fanbase and is seeping across Quebec society.

Personally I think the best thing is for RC to get those basic grammatical structures and some French for Special Purposes hockey vocab, write them on his sleeve if he has to, then start tossing those out at pressers with a big smile. Also a highly-professional interpreter at his side, 20s-30s, comely in a tight turtleneck and glasses, could be very good.

The issues can be managed but the team is badly behind the curve right now, who the hell does their PR?

Go Habs Go!

Old
01-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Habs

My die-hard Quebecer relatives were laughing at this protest.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Kriss E

If these guys want to be taken serious then they need to have serious people supporting their cause.
When the president clearly seems out of touch with the game and how it operates, and criticizes the coach for not even being able to speak a word of French ("bonjour"), when RC has already came out with with French sentences, then he simply looks like an imbecile.
When a supporter admits she is not a fan of the Habs, and that it is all about politics, then I can't take her seriously.
Like come on man, what the heck is that about..
How can anybody take them seriously after that?
They probably have no idea how the game works, what is the draft, what are RFAs or UFAs...they just make themselves look like whiners.

I seriously would mock them. When they don't even appear to be fans of the team or game, then I don't see why they deserve any respect. Pathetic.

And the mayor should fix the damn road and stop trying to give more tickets to the population rather than comment about a hockey team. His opinion is worth less than my dog's poop.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:51 AM
psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Just a side note because I often read a mistake made here:

Most protesters in Quebec don't ask for a francophone coach. They ask for a coach that can speak french. The difference is huge. So the whole "only 6 cups have been won by french coaches" argument is totally irrelevent.

And by the way, I'm not sure where I'm standing in that debate, so my post is not to be on the "french" side...
I don't think its true. Yet its what they say. But if RC learn French and all that would stop I would be very impressed, yet I truly believed they want a francophone coach.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonaut View Post
I don't think its true. Yet its what they say. But if RC learn French and all that would stop I would be very impressed, yet I truly believed they want a francophone coach.
Agreed. If they complain about the fact that the PA in the Bell Centre is bilingual I don't think they'll be satisfied with an English coach that picks up some French.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:57 AM
habtastic

Quote:
I think you are explaining the situation very well. I'm just not sure if you actually agree with this large segment of the population. They aren't fans, you've said that yourself. It's not like just because you're not French, you don't "get" the Habs. Anyway, they aren't fans, so what right do they have to feel entitled to ANYTHING to do with the Habs. It's sort of like the Aesop's fable with the chicken who makes the bread (representing the fans who have bled bleu, blanc, rouge all their lives) and the other animals (hmmm) who did NOTHING to help with the bread, didn't care, didn't cheer and only have a problem when they think that the bread should belong to them as well. Not the perfect analogy, but hopefully you get what I'm saying and given that you have explained quite well that it's about this cultural aspect and NOT hockey that it's JUST THAT: The Montreal Canadiens have made French Canadiens proud because many of them have led the team to glory. That doesn't MAKE them a French institution, a part of the government. They are important to the culture because the organization HAS complied to making everything franco-oriented forever and that's fine. They should not, however have any say in how the team actually functions.

I think you are correctly pointing out that they don't care about this point or disagree. Well, they're idiots and wrong (by they, I by no means mean Francophones in general, I mean the people who have a problem, either aggressively or passively). And to quote (I think Richard Dawkins), "Just because I think I'm right and you think you're right, that doesn't mean we are both equally wrong."

Old
01-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

I don't understand what's the big deal right now.

If Randy still here next year he will learn french in the summer and start to answer in French. He will talk French before the end of next year

Old
01-08-2012, 12:04 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Yeah you are not getting this. The issue is older and deeper than this season's win-loss record. The issue touches the culture and society of Quebec. I'm pretty sure not all the protesters agree with you that "winning the Stanley Cup" is all that matters, as not all protesters are even fans.
Like I said earlier, the optics of this to the Molsons is that 2-500 people showed up to complain not wearing any habs gear, and without tickets, while 21,273 people showed up on cue to cheer "Go Habs Go," and drink 10 dollar Molson beer.

They did that because the habs are winning. If Randy keeps the habs doing that to the point that after April 7th, 21,273 people show up to cheer "Go Habs Go," and drink over-priced Molson beer, then I think it's pretty obvious what the Molsons are going to think of this "deep cultural issue."

Translation, they don't give a ****.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
The language of the Habs is winning!

Join the facebook group!

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn...1223116638472/
And the Habs have done a great of job of that lately haven't they? Must because of all their french players.

No french = Winning!
Anglo coach = Winning!

Sad that the inherent bigotry in that position is lost on so many anglophones...

Old
01-08-2012, 12:07 PM
icerocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
And the Habs have done a great of job of that lately haven't they? Must because of all their french players.

No french = Winning!
Anglo coach = Winning!

Sad that the inherent bigotry in that position is lost on so many anglophones...
Not at all what the message is but whatever.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Why dont you also post a link to separatist Serge Savard who shares his views on the coach being an unilingual anglo while at it
is this the same Serge Savard the federalist?

Quote:
On another front, Savard -- long ago dubbed "Le Sénateur" because of his interest in politics -- is publicly supporting Jacques Duchesneau, the former Montreal police chief who is a front-runner in the city's mayoralty race. When Daniel Johnson stepped down as leader of the Quebec Liberals in March, there were immediate rumors that the party was courting Savard. He says that, "for now," he has no interest in elected politics. But he describes Liberal Leader Jean Charest as "a friend" and concedes his reluctance to enter politics "could change some day." And, Savard adds, "I promise this: if there is another referendum, I will be there to speak up for my country."

That sentiment, of course, is not universally popular in Quebec, where polls show that francophones are evenly divided between federalism and sovereignty. Olivier says his friend's outspoken stance "has cost him big, big money," and that some annoyed sovereigntists refuse to do business with him. But, says Savard, "for too long people have been silent because they are afraid of what it means for business. I don't care about that. If I lose the business of someone like Bernard Landry, so what." (The deputy premier, one of the most vehement sovereigntists in the Parti Québécois, has clashed with Savard on occasion.)
http://www.geocities.com/carl123.geo/biographies/SergeSavard.html

lets maybe stick to facts cause you're not doing yourself any favors with stating wrong information

Closed Thread