HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Prospect Talk PART II

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2012, 04:16 PM
BelovedIsles

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Strome was very good. Made a lot of things happen and you can see he thinks the game really well. Always seemed to make the right play. I'm very happy with his progress, despite his 'disappointing' stats at Niagara. The game is not all about numbers.
Which makes you wonder how well he could mesh with a player with equal/superior hockey sense and equal/superior skills. I think Strome's game could translate well to the wing, in fact, there were several shifts he played wing in the WJCs.

If some of JT's training/work habits rub off on Strome, we could have another blossoming forward in JT's class.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:00 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Which makes you wonder how well he could mesh with a player with equal/superior hockey sense and equal/superior skills. I think Strome's game could translate well to the wing, in fact, there were several shifts he played wing in the WJCs.

If some of JT's training/work habits rub off on Strome, we could have another blossoming forward in JT's class.
I don't know, I'm struggling to see Strome moving to the wing. Things could obviously change as he matures, but I see a true center when I watch him play.

Right now, Strome is not physically strong enough to be much of a factor along the boards. At the WJC, he seemed to gravitate towards the middle of the ice and relied on his wingers to win most of the puck battles. He had his head on a swivel and just seemed to always survey the play and then would move into position for the appropriate play. He has slick hands and would puck handle to gain time and space. I think he would be most effective with two big wingers who can open up space for him to work his magic.

With all that said, high level hockey sense is a very interesting animal. Players who possess that trait just seem to be able to play with just about anyone and elevate their play. If you look at the evolution of JT's game, his body is catching up to his mind and we're seeing the results. Once that starts to happen for Strome, I think it might not matter what position he plays - he'll be an offensive force. I really do look forward to seeing the two of them on the ice together one day and I'm curious how deadly they could be together.

Old
01-07-2012, 05:13 PM
nyiguy21
Poster of the Decade

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NYI|home
Anyone see this with Klemntyev?

Old
01-07-2012, 07:54 PM
islandermaniac

this idea of strome to the wing has been something invented by isles fans. i have heard no real source comment about strome playing the wing.

Old
01-07-2012, 11:52 PM
TheIslesFan

vCash: 50
Anything new on Kirill Petrov? I'm getting a little pumped up about him. Have a feeling the kid good be pretty darn good. Will he be leaving the KHL after this season? If we get one of the Russians, big things could happen.

Old
01-08-2012, 03:57 AM
drive45

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic707 View Post
Anything new on Kirill Petrov? I'm getting a little pumped up about him. Have a feeling the kid good be pretty darn good. Will he be leaving the KHL after this season? If we get one of the Russians, big things could happen.
After a hot start, he has cooled off a bit. He is now 11,9,20, -4; tied for 34th in the KHL in G. I do believe his contract with Ak Bars is up at the end of this season, but he might not want to come over just to play in Bridgeport. So, he could I) come to camp this summer and a) make the NHL team b) be assigned to B-port and report there c) be assigned to B-Port and go home or II) stay in KHL for a short-term contract, after which options a, b, and c would once again be available to him, or III) sign a long-term deal with a KHL team and never come to Long Island again.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:41 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive45 View Post
After a hot start, he has cooled off a bit. He is now 11,9,20, -4; tied for 34th in the KHL in G. I do believe his contract with Ak Bars is up at the end of this season, but he might not want to come over just to play in Bridgeport. So, he could I) come to camp this summer and a) make the NHL team b) be assigned to B-port and report there c) be assigned to B-Port and go home or II) stay in KHL for a short-term contract, after which options a, b, and c would once again be available to him, or III) sign a long-term deal with a KHL team and never come to Long Island again.
Indeed. It is really now or never in terms of him ever coming over. His contract is up and if he wants out of Russia the time is now - if the Isles want him that is.

He won't come over to play in Bridgeport that's for sure but he should need a stint down there to get used to NA hockey.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:43 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyiguy21 View Post
That's the last we'll see of him then. His deal is up at the end of the season and he'll be back in Russia then.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:30 AM
bluechipbonzo

If you actually followed the Islanders, you would know Petrov has already stated he would play in the AHL.

Unless Kabaonov was doing a "friendly" translation for him.

All that said, it amazes me how some decide that AHL time is absolutely needed for a guy who is playing in the second best league in the world- and producing: yes, 20 points in 34 games isn't earth shattering, but then again, Petrov was used in a limited role at the start of the season (third or fourth line, some PP) and has since been shuffled about the line-up, with this key stat: on the season he's avaeraging about 14 minutes a game.

In other words, he's about a 45-50 point forward given third line minutes.

What could he do with Moulson and Tavares?

More than Okposo, if I would hazard a guess.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Brunomics

Can't believe no one is mentioning Kevin Poulin's 3rd straight shutout last night. That guy really picked up his play so far in the new year!

Old
01-08-2012, 07:30 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
If you actually followed the Islanders, you would know Petrov has already stated he would play in the AHL.

All that said, it amazes me how some decide that AHL time is absolutely needed for a guy who is playing in the second best league in the world- and producing: yes, 20 points in 34 games isn't earth shattering, but then again, Petrov was used in a limited role at the start of the season (third or fourth line, some PP) and has since been shuffled about the line-up, with this key stat: on the season he's avaeraging about 14 minutes a game.

The difference between the game as it is played in NA and Europe is huge. The difference in pace is staggering to say the least and that's what's a player like Petrov would need time to adjust to. I don't think anyone here doubts his talents and I'd love to see him on the Isles sooner rather than later.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:56 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

I love how a player who has never sniffed nhl ice, is somehow a lock for at least 45-50 pts.

Someone post when Petrov actually commits to the Isles.Until then,I can't get excited about anything he's doing.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:24 AM
CrossCheck

Any plan of bringning Koskinen back in NA?

Seems like he's burning the SM-Liiga!

Is he done with you guys?

Old
01-08-2012, 09:25 AM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Can't believe no one is mentioning Kevin Poulin's 3rd straight shutout last night. That guy really picked up his play so far in the new year!
I was coming here to post that.

Too bad someone in my simulator league snagged him before I could!

Anyone here have an idea of De Haan's future? I know it takes defensemen longer to develop.

I think I'm going to the P-Bruins/ Sound Tigers game this afternoon. (Nice thing about the AHL is you can walk up)

Old
01-08-2012, 09:54 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
Any plan of bringning Koskinen back in NA?

Seems like he's burning the SM-Liiga!

Is he done with you guys?
No room for him at present and he was also outplayed by Poulin and Nilsson at the start of the season. Honestly I think the Isles would like to trade him if they get the chance.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:01 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
I was coming here to post that.

Too bad someone in my simulator league snagged him before I could!

Anyone here have an idea of De Haan's future? I know it takes defensemen longer to develop.

I think I'm going to the P-Bruins/ Sound Tigers game this afternoon. (Nice thing about the AHL is you can walk up)
I thought De Haan was a lot more poised in his last call up.True it was just 1 game,but I think time in the AHL is benefitting De Haan.

Next NYI training camp,we should have a pretty good competition between the young d-men from Bridgeport.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:13 AM
TeamKidd

Quote:

Given how Garth has handled Bailey and Nino....im fairly certain he has noooo problem guaranteeing Petrov a spot on the NHL club next year if it means him coming over.

Having said that, i'll see it when i believe it.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:30 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I love how a player who has never sniffed nhl ice, is somehow a lock for at least 45-50 pts.

Someone post when Petrov actually commits to the Isles.Until then,I can't get excited about anything he's doing.
Plenty of NHL rookies score 45+ points.

Not many have the advantage of being a 6'3'' 210lb man child like Petrov, with three years of seasoning playing in the second best pro hockey league in the world.

Yes, I realize the KHL is not the NHL- that's why I called it second best. Still, with limited ice time in a league that is known to favour vets- and with a team that knows Petrov wants to play in the NHL, well, you figure it out. He is a prime talent that was jerked around his first two seasons, and has only been given limited ice time these last two...

Oh, and speaking more of Europe, many forget that Petrov was the number two rated Euro forward in the 08 draft- and that was because of his contract obligations...well Sally, that contract is almost up.

We have a bluechip prospect here.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:14 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:

Not many have the advantage of being a 6'3'' 210lb man child like Petrov, with three years of seasoning playing in the second best pro hockey league in the world.

Yes, I realize the KHL is not the NHL- that's why I called it second best. Still, with limited ice time in a league that is known to favour vets- and with a team that knows Petrov wants to play in the NHL, well, you figure it out. He is a prime talent that was jerked around his first two seasons, and has only been given limited ice time these last two...

Oh, and speaking more of Europe, many forget that Petrov was the number two rated Euro forward in the 08 draft- and that was because of his contract obligations...well Sally, that contract is almost up.

If there is a lockout though you can expect he will sign with a club over there. I give even odds it is a multi year contract. What then if it is?

Old
01-08-2012, 12:22 PM
TheIslesFan

vCash: 50
Quote:

consider me on the bandwagon

Old
01-08-2012, 12:53 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Until Petrov actually signs with the Isles and comes over to N.A., I'm not going to worry about him.

Looks like Strome is back at Niagara with 1g 2a last night in a 4-2 win. Hopefully he'll build on his good performance at the WJC for the rest of the season.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:33 PM
periferal

Quote:

Exactly. I mean really. The only think that's a lock with this team is that Wang will make us look like fools.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:34 PM
periferal

Quote:

Next NYI training camp,we should have a pretty good competition between the young d-men from Bridgeport.

Agreed, but the incredibly sad part is we'll probably need two of them to make the Isles.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:27 PM
C77

Oops wrong thread...

Old
01-08-2012, 08:25 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Just read on Islanders point blank that DeHann injured his shoulder again. Getting worried about this kid.

Closed Thread