HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues vs. Habs

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 11:14 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
I agree.

The reason we made our run is because Halak did what he does best by stopping the initial shot and the team in front of him did an incredible job of taking care of those ugly rebounds that so often go straight out in front of him.
To be fair, when you get 35802580 shots taken at you, it's probably hard to gobble them up.

But Halak has gotten a lot better at directing his rebounds to a teammate and/or the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
So, what about Matt D'Agostini?
I'm still mad about that trade. He's awesome.
16th in the league in +/-.
His defensive game has flourished in St. Louis (it needed work here).
He's become a great 3rd liner who could easily be a second liner if the Blues weren't so deep.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:21 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
hey, I don't let facts and numbers get in my way, you shouldn't either

if halak were here now, we would probably be in 1st place, easily.
not sure if trolling or just really drunk

Old
01-08-2012, 11:21 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvenirs View Post
not sure if trolling, or really delusional
LOL, I swear I posted ^ just before I saw this.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
To be fair, when you get 35802580 shots taken at you, it's probably hard to gobble them up.

But Halak has gotten a lot better at directing his rebounds to a teammate and/or the corner.

I'm still mad about that trade. He's awesome.
16th in the league in +/-.
His defensive game has flourished in St. Louis (it needed work here).
He's become a great 3rd liner who could easily be a second liner if the Blues weren't so deep.
This makes me hurt inside.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:22 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
not sure if trolling or just really drunk
Agree.

I'm a huge Halak fan, as everyone knows, and we would be in a similar position with him here as Price, give or take a position.

I don't think that Tim Thomas, Tukka Rask or Brian Elliot could have us any higher right now. This team was a mess a few weeks ago.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:23 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
What kind of fan base does St. Louis have anyway? Where is the controversy, the 9 threads of outrageous posts about Elliot getting the easy starts and the better offensive support, about how his .940 save pct is meaningless when the other goaltender is younger with more potential.

Where is the thread per day openly questioning the coach's decision to start Elliott, or the thread a day openly declaring that 2 good goaltenders cannot co-exist on the same team.

Really, I can see why St. Louis fans have a long way to go to be seen as "knowledgeable" in hockey.
I'll start by asking Where is the St Louis fanbase? not on HF.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 01-08-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old
01-08-2012, 11:24 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
You have to love Halak.

He gave Montreal one of the all-time goaltender PO performances and killed off the Caps and Pens.

He remained humble throughout.

All you can do is wish him he the very best in hockey and in life.
I agree. I hope the fans cheer him respectfully and don't derisively chant his name. I also hope they don't do the opposite. Loved Halak. As long as we recognize that it was actually a great situation for us, worked out great, and then Eller scores another hat trick.

I didn't know there still was a Price vs. Halak thing.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Killerguitar101*

Send a message via AIM to Killerguitar101*
Quote:
I didn't know there still was a Price vs. Halak thing.
Yes, there still are rational fans that don't like Price for only one good season out of 5.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:28 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Also , Ellitot has been cooling down, Halak has pulled together a good string of wins lately and is gaining more games and confidence from Hitchcock.

There is no debate in St Louis because you don't have a media that over hypes rookies, and then proceeds to bash them because they are not Roy-level yet.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:29 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
This makes me hurt inside.
The D'Agostini trade?

Old
01-08-2012, 11:29 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
I think price is more consistent; however, halak can play at a higher level. something price hasn't really impressed me with.

I keep waiting for him to take it to the next level, into complete dominance, but I don't see it. halak has done it a couple times where you're just like, how in the hell can he keep playing like this?
wait for it...

hopefully the defence is going to stay stronger this half and you'll see Price's multiple amazing saves actually decide the outcome and his % increase. GAA I dunno due to the new agressive system, but he is and will be a difference maker. I'm so thankful that we have him or this first half would really had gutted me. Just pointing out that this higher level you speak of was one rd more of the playoffs. Price has taken us to the second round on some excellent game 7 goaltending (shutout, no?). You might forget that we lost some games in the road to the ECF (went to game 7 both times Halak stole the series). When we have the team that Price deserves, he will deliver.

But excited to see Jaro. I do think they will go with him just because they know it will push him to play well.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:31 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
wait for it...

hopefully the defence is going to stay stronger this half and you'll see Price's multiple amazing saves actually decide the outcome and his % increase. GAA I dunno due to the new agressive system, but he is and will be a difference maker. I'm so thankful that we have him or this first half would really had gutted me. Just pointing out that this higher level you speak of was one rd more of the playoffs. Price has taken us to the second round on some excellent game 7 goaltending (shutout, no?). You might forget that we lost some games in the road to the ECF (went to game 7 both times Halak stole the series). When we have the team that Price deserves, he will deliver.

But excited to see Jaro. I do think they will go with him just because they know it will push him to play well.
General rule is to never sit a goalie after a shutout, so I expect to see Elliot.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
General rule is to never sit a goalie after a shutout, so I expect to see Elliot.
I'm pretty sure Hitchcock announced last week that Halak would play in Montreal. I know his general rule is to let a goalie start following a shutout, but I think an exception will be made here. Doesn't hurt that Halak is on a 6-0-3 run right now either.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Coldplay
Courage

History says:

Theodore, Oct 21 '06 (COL) — 28/38 — W 8-5
Huet, Mar 31 '09 (CHI) — 29/33 — W 4-1
Halak...

Old
01-08-2012, 11:37 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Where's Aebischer?

Old
01-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
The D'Agostini trade?
Yes, and other trades as well. Given that Palushaj is a steaming pile, and D'Agostini is the player that we hope most our prospects may become, this is a sad reflection of what is wrong with the current management team. The team success was for the most part could have been handed to them by T. Timmins, Gainey and Gauthier pissed it all away and then some.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Where's Aebischer?
3rd string goalie in Winnipeg, I think. AHL.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Agreed completely. I don't understand how any Habs fan can hate the guy. I hope we win 1-0.
I'm still a fan off Halak, liked him better than what we kept, but the game goes on!!
When and if price can takes us to those wonderful playoff moments and even take the team a step beyond what halak did, ill be a fan of him as well.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:39 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Sun, Jan 8

G Brian Elliott recorded perhaps the easiest shutout of his career Saturday, needing only 15 saves for his 14th shutout in the NHL and fifth this season. He snapped a personal two-game losing streak, improving to 15-5.
(Yahoo! Sports)

i'm expecting Halak, and i'm sure Elliot is very much ok with it.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
I'll start by asking Where is the St Louis fanbase? not on HF.
Pretty sure most of them are posting on another forum like Calgary Puck for the Flames fans.

The Wild fanbase used to have a message board but since last year, many fans have moved on HF.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:42 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
3rd string goalie in Winnipeg, I think. AHL.
I meant, did he play against us since he left?

Old
01-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerguitar101 View Post
Carey Price is one of the biggest disappointments in the NHL actually. We took a 5th draft pick to draft this cluster ****** instead of guys such as Anze Kopitar or Paul Stastny.

This high draft pick (5th) should be THE best goalie of the actual NHL. But who is the real Carey Price? It's the one that you saw before the last year, and this year: he is too much of a coward to put up good numbers when his spot is won on the Habs' roster. This year, he is the real Carey Price, with his .913% (24th in the league). I wouldn't be afraid to say that he's the reason why the team sucks so much - because it relies on its goalies and Price is too much of a coward to get the job done. In fact, the bandwagoner is you, for loving Carey Price because he only had one good season out of five - last year. I never liked him and I will never do.

For his global numbers in career, it says it all. .916%, 2.57GAA...
And Jaro? .915% and 2.53GAA. While playing with Carey Price, he always had better numbers also.

But look at Halak's salary.
And wait a couple of months and wait to see Carey Price's salary.

A coward? I'm not sure you understand the meaning of that word.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:43 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Yes, and other trades as well. Given that Palushaj is a steaming pile, and D'Agostini is the player that we hope most our prospects may become, this is a sad reflection of what is wrong with the current management team. The team success was for the most part could have been handed to them by T. Timmins, Gainey and Gauthier pissed it all away and then some.
Our management is like 90% of our fanbase. Too reactionary on young guys. It's almost like management expects kids to come in and play like all-stars.

People here wanted D'Agostini gone/traded so quickly. Management wasn't far behind and it was definitely a mistake.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:45 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerguitar101 View Post
Yes, there still are rational fans that don't like Price for only one good season out of 5.
that almost sounds like it's a validated fact. LOL WUT?

He had ONE not so great season that took us to the playoffs and then the ENTIRE team exploded and he got jeered, blah blah blah.

The Halak/playoffs season, it was a back and forth until Halak came ahead and had a great playoffs (for two rounds and yes, thanks to some GREAT defensive work in front of him and a Cammy and a Gomez who were actually useful). These types of performances happen and I am a Habs fan so I loved that they did, but I also saw them for what they were: out of place, scattered desperate saves for a goalie who doesn't have Price's size.

Last season he was ridiculously good and this season, puh-leaase enough with the spouting the stats that RDS was mentioning during the Jets game, he's been our best player and has continually shown how elite he is. That's not a stat, you just have to be able to watch the damn games. A few softies, fine, but they weren't the reason we lost. We lost cuz of defensive lapses and a lack of scoring. I am very happy with Price's season.

Why does appreciating Halak (in the past) have to = not being aware that Price is an elite goalie? I would take him over anyone in the league, hands down.

Please show me Price's weak goals THIS season vs. his great saves. The ratio will be so minuscule.

rational...

ARRRGH I hate that I casually opened this thread to be dragged in. I guess I'm no better than anyone else. I'll go back to the more rational "We need a coach who can speak French and eats poutine between periods" threads.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

LOL The Halak fans are hilarious in this thread.

Price is the main reason we are not last in the East this year.

Closed Thread