HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have the Bruins exposed the NHL?

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 04:20 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

vCash: 500
Well they still have Campbell protecting them..

But on a more serious note, if this tactic keeps working for them, they'll keep doing it. Why not? I'm sure their penalty kill is pretty superb because of Thomas and their defence.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:29 AM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew83 View Post
That was the plan in the playoffs last year. See Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay as the ideal that was successfully reached.
Wow! You make a compelling argument. I guess the Canucks are the bad guys for coming in and bullying your team around. Burrows, Malhotra, Henrik, Salo...Goons, all of them.
I'm starting to think the good honest guys like Thornton, Chara, Lucic, Ference, and Marchand are all victims after all.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:13 AM
Pure West

Its as if the only time you've seen the Bruins play is against the Canucks. The Bruins have been rolling over their opponents this year and its not just because they have been getting away with taking extra shots. Perhaps I can see the argument that they have trouble playing against higher skilled teams like the Canucks, Blackhawks, Caps etc. if they don't play the way they do though.

The Bruins aren't exactly the first team in history to try this kind of strategy, so its not a revelation, nor have they "exposed" the league. But don't let the cheapshots fool you, their ability to play actual hockey is what makes them a good team. They play really solid team defense, have great goaltending and very balanced scoring. Their PP isn't really that bad either, just doesn't really stack up to the other elite teams in the league.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:24 AM
Royal Canuck
Go Jumbo Joe!

vCash: 814
I can't say they've so called "exposed" the league. Marchand will get a hearing for that hit on Salo. They deffinately use some of the league's tactics towards their gameplan, but I wouldnt go as far as saying they "exploit" the league.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:26 AM
Andrew83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
Wow! You make a compelling argument. I guess the Canucks are the bad guys for coming in and bullying your team around. Burrows, Malhotra, Henrik, Salo...Goons, all of them.
I'm starting to think the good honest guys like Thornton, Chara, Lucic, Ference, and Marchand are all victims after all.
Of course not that black & white, but not as far off as you think. The Vancouver team was the initial bully. Go back and watch just Game 1 and Game 2 and how your players were acting then vs. ours. Remember Burrows' bite (and lack of suspension), Lapierre's finger dangling/taunting, Sedin introducing Burrows as a vegetarian? Those antics plus the Horton hit plus not infrequent diving attempts set the tone for the rest of the series and everything since. You started a lot of it, the Bruins responded, and things got pretty ugly on both sides.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:27 AM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
The Bruins aren't even the first team to do it; Anaheim perfected this when they won the Cup...Perry is the only one still doing it that way though.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:47 AM
Smokey McCanucks

Here's a trick you can use to tell when a team is playing in the "they can't call everything" mode: normally when a team takes a penalty and goes on the PK, they play a style based on positional discipline to kill the penalty. But when a team is playing "they can't call everything," they take even more liberties than they did before, because the refs are less likely to call them when they're already down a guy. 5-on-3 it's even more so...you can't go down more than 5-on-3 so why not?

Old
01-08-2012, 09:35 AM
AlexTheRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
Here's a trick you can use to tell when a team is playing in the "they can't call everything" mode: normally when a team takes a penalty and goes on the PK, they play a style based on positional discipline to kill the penalty. But when a team is playing "they can't call everything," they take even more liberties than they did before, because the refs are less likely to call them when they're already down a guy. 5-on-3 it's even more so...you can't go down more than 5-on-3 so why not?
Imagine if the number of player on the ice could be lower than 3. Like 5-on-2 or even 5-1. That would be scary because the Bruins would be ''allowed'' by the league to kill a player without getting a penalty...

Old
01-08-2012, 10:09 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

I think it was Tomlinson on the Team1040-pregame show, who said, the Bruins start taking it to the opposition the way they do only when they lead, basically to not let them get back into the game by taking them off their game.

Looking at yesterday's game, it was pretty much like that. But once they were trailing by two, they actually started to play hockey because that was the only thing left to do.

Overall that is a pretty successful MO most of the time obviously. And I'm not sure if I would necessarily call it dirty.

All that diving by the end of the game to draw a penalty to get a chance to tie the game on the other hand, man... If I ever hear any Bruins writer/fan/team related person to complain about the Canucks antics in this regard ever again...

Old
01-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

The Hawks do this to some extent too, especially back i 09-10. Thought I'd bring this up because they got away with a ton of crap too.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:50 AM
CP

The Canucks are a better team than the Bruins when they are both completely healthy. The Bruins can't match the Canucks skill or speed. The Bruins have no choice but to try to intimidate if they want to win, but as we saw today the Canucks can deal with that if they are healthy. In my mind, injuries and intimidated refs were and will continue to be the most important factors in any series between these two clubs as they are currently constructed.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Bill17425

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP View Post
The Canucks are a better team than the Bruins when they are both completely healthy. The Bruins can't match the Canucks skill or speed. The Bruins have no choice but to try to intimidate if they want to win, but as we saw today the Canucks can deal with that if they are healthy. In my mind, injuries and intimidated refs were and will continue to be the most important factors in any series between these two clubs as they are currently constructed.
What are you basing this off of? Them on paper, or the one regular season game these teams have played where there both healthy, but boston losses its two top scorers after seguin early on in the game.

It was a game with a ton of penatlies, to a team with the best powerplay unit and some 5-3 action. (lets not forget lucic getting tossed, for something there saying he didnt do)

Canucks are a great team one of the best in the league and so are the Bruins, but dont sit there and say one team is better then the other after a 1 goal game.

Canucks and Bruins are continuing to prove why they were in the cup finals last year and that they probably will be again this year.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
I'm actually giving the B's credit for figuring out how to beat the system... your team is taking advantage of the NHL and every team in it BECAUSE of the way the NHL game is officiated/managed.
What system did we beat yesterday? You guys had 11 PP's. You had our top LW kicked out of the game on a completely bogus call. You got a 2 man advantage which stemmed from SIX of your players on one of our guys.

I think we can all agree that the refs were terrible in a lot of ways yesterday and most importantly very inconsistent but we dont have a "system". If anything the same "system" could be argued towards the Canucks with the constant chippy/dirty stickwork that goads the other team into punching you in the face.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:53 PM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
What system did we beat yesterday? You guys had 11 PP's. You had our top LW kicked out of the game on a completely bogus call. You got a 2 man advantage which stemmed from SIX of your players on one of our guys.

I think we can all agree that the refs were terrible in a lot of ways yesterday and most importantly very inconsistent but we dont have a "system". If anything the same "system" could be argued towards the Canucks with the constant chippy/dirty stickwork that goads the other team into punching you in the face.
I keep hearing about that chippy/dirty stickwork related with the Canucks (mainly Kesler) so much, it got my thinking.
But then again, I see that overhead camera on the replay of when Hamhuis got the penalty for DOG at the end of the third and see the Bruins very own captain taking whacks at the back of Hamhuis' legs, and all I can say is, please stop pretending your team doesn't do it. Not to mention Thomas' butt ending Malhotra while he was down.

And by the way, it's only counted as 11 PPs for the Canucks because the Bruins let them score twice on Marchand's 5 min major.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Proto

I actually think the Canucks did a marvelous job of employing this technique against the Hawks through 3 games last year, but the Torres hit on Seabrook changed the tone of the officiating and the Canucks play. In the first 3 games the Canucks were physically blowing the Hawks doors off: borderline hits all over the ice, big clean hits every chance they got, and a few reckless hits that were definitely penalties, but there weren't a ton of PP opportunities.

The Canucks aren't built to do that all season, and they probably wouldn't get away with it much against a team like the Bruins, but they definitely can do it when necessary. Shea Weber would help, too. That guy knows how to cross-check without getting called..

Old
01-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Proto

Quote:

All the "Canucks had 11 PP's" stuff is bogus. There were 7 or 8 infractions against the Bruins -- I can't remember if the 5 minute major counted as 3 or 4 separate power plays.

Amazing that nobody seems to know this in the media, either. But they probably were just boxscore/highlight hunting.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:19 PM
a pony

Quote:

Pathetic. If the Bruins don't want to get called then they should stop acting like idiots.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
I keep hearing about that chippy/dirty stickwork related with the Canucks (mainly Kesler) so much, it got my thinking.
But then again, I see that overhead camera on the replay of when Hamhuis got the penalty for DOG at the end of the third and see the Bruins very own captain taking whacks at the back of Hamhuis' legs, and all I can say is, please stop pretending your team doesn't do it. Not to mention Thomas' butt ending Malhotra while he was down.
All teams do it. I am responding to the OP theory that the Bruins have figured out the magic system to winning. The Bruins win because they are a very good team with the best goalie in the world. Its not because of some mythical system where they get away with more infractions.

Quote:
And by the way, it's only counted as 11 PPs for the Canucks because the Bruins let them score twice on Marchand's 5 min major

Ok, so 10 PP's....even 9...whatever...the point still stands that the refs arent letting us get away with anything more than you guys.

Go back to the Marchand hit on Salo. About 8 seconds before that Marchand was getting absolutely mugged and interfered with and nothing was called. Not that Marchand's hit wasnt a penalty, but the Nucks got away with a lot too.

This whole thread reeks of a parent who makes excuses for their own kids by saying "not my kid...it must have been the other boy...."

Old
01-08-2012, 01:24 PM
a pony

Quote:
All teams do it. I am responding to the OP theory that the Bruins have figured out the magic system to winning. The Bruins win because they are a very good team with the best goalie in the world. Its not because of some mythical system where they get away with more infractions.

Ok, so 10 PP's....even 9...whatever...the point still stands that the refs arent letting us get away with anything more than you guys.

Go back to the Marchand hit on Salo. About 8 seconds before that Marchand was getting absolutely mugged and interfered with and nothing was called. Not that Marchand's hit wasnt a penalty, but the Nucks got away with a lot too.

This whole thread reeks of a parent who makes excuses for their own kids by saying "not my kid...it must have been the other boy...."

You seem to have strayed from the thread in the Main forum demanding Shanahan to discipline the refs yesterday. Are you sure you know what the word hypocrisy means?

Old
01-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a pony View Post
Pathetic. If the Bruins don't want to get called then they should stop acting like idiots.
Its not like they are biting fingers and spearing. Do you consider those acts acceptable?

Old
01-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a pony View Post
You seem to have strayed from the thread in the Main forum demanding Shanahan to discipline the refs yesterday. Are you sure you know what the word hypocrisy means?
And you seem to have a hard time reading. I said in the previous post that the one thing we can all agree on is that the officiating was very bad.

Are you sure you know what the word hypocrisy means?

Old
01-08-2012, 01:35 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:

Marchand getting mugged? You mean he's engaged in a battle during the play with Salo and then proceeds to turn around and punch Salo in the head too?

Yep, Marchand is the victim in all this, especially when he cowardly ducks engaging another hit and sends Salo flying.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:36 PM
a pony

Quote:
And you seem to have a hard time reading. I said in the previous post that the one thing we can all agree on is that the officiating was very bad.

Are you sure you know what the word hypocrisy means?
The officiating was only bad in the fact that they dont call the Bruins out nearly enough for their dangerous dirty play. You should go back to the Bruins forum to complain because no one is going to buy your line of reasoning outside of that.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
You know the more I think about it the more I think the Bruins have the NHL figured out.

They KNOW they can get away with stuff... probably on every shift because there is NO WAY they'll get called for everything. They also know that these hacks/wacks/etc. add up and erode the oppositions will to be disciplined which will lead to breaks for them. They also don't mind that and injury or two may occur which is also a bonus for them.

As an added Bonus they know that the NHL, on average, likes to EVEN out the game in regards to PP chances so regardless of how many penalties they take they know they'll get close to the same amount and that there will be make-up calls.

So it's a frickin' win-win-win for the B's.

The Boston Bruins have exposed the systematic, predictable game management that the NHL employs to maintain parity and are exploiting it at every turn.

Thoughts?
They're like the Ducks of 2007. The Ducks took a lot of penalties, but also didn't get called for a lot of stuff that they should have been called for. If you had an officiating crew that was prone to swallowing the whistle, this certainly benefited the Ducks. It was a good strategy employing probabilities, but you also needed two things--- good goal tending and a good defensive corps. The B's also have both.

Interesting observation.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:38 PM
cleverusername

Quote:
Actually I was at the game and the "mugging" and "interfering" was done BY Marchand on Salo after Marchand was beat to a loose puck and bumped. He started slashing and punching Salo as he skated away, and then about 30 seconds later submarined Salo on a very similar loose puck battle.

Closed Thread