HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gazette Article on Protest

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Seb
As a separatist and french canadian, this issue is a very delicate one.

I couldn't care less about the language our coach speaks and the protest is awfully stupid.

I find it odd and moron that there is a protest about the language of Randy Cunneyworth while not a single **** was given when a bill was passed to allow bridge schools, which is far worst.

I am a french lover and I do believe all people who live in Quebec should be able to speak french. But when it comes to the head coach of the Habs, I couldn't care less.

Also, let's not make it a separatism/federalism debate. It will go nowhere.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Padrino86

The most pathetic thing I've read from this is how Beaulieu complains that the announcement are made in both languages and they should not. That's just obsessive biggotry.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:18 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino86 View Post
The most pathetic thing I've read from this is how Beaulieu complains that the announcement are made in both languages and they should not. That's just obsessive biggotry.
OMG, he thought he heard a whitsle, can we stop moaning about this already?!!

Old
01-08-2012, 01:19 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
“I’m not a big Canadiens fan, but they are a symbol for Quebec. The Canadiens are Quebec’s team,” Racine said in French.

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...#ixzz1itMDbmVG
and this is the problem right there, most of these people are not even fans of the team. They're all using this as an excuse to further their political agendas. This is a sports team FFS.

of course we all understand that the canadiens are a symbol of quebec...but do these people ever stop to think that this is a SPORTS team and the reason they became a symbol is cause of their success in the sport.

if they had not won all those stanley cups and were an irrelevant team no one would be calling them a culture symbol
the only reason they became a symbol is cause they were a succesful SPORTS team...
it's absolutely ridiculous to forget that you're dealing with a sports team and everyteams prime goal is to WIN....

if this team becomes a gutter team for 10 straight years and quebec city gets a team thats top of the league we'll see how fast these people care who coaches the habs

Old
01-08-2012, 01:21 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
No I am perfectly aware and I think Quebecers are that the language spoken in locker rooms is English. What a daft suggestion. I was responding to the other sentence in your post, "As long as he is able to communicate with his players (which is his job), that's all that matters." The majority of Quebecers (72% in Journal de Montreal poll last month) disagree with that. They want a coach who can express himself in French.
honest question: How was that poll carried out? I know that the JdM that has a clear agenda has no idea how to manipulate statistics (or just plain lie), but what was the methodology and what was the ACTUAL question asked. Was it "do you require it?", "would you prefer it?", "would you accept it?"
What was the sample size. Again, just asking if anyone is aware.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:22 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 50
the protest in my mind was just embarrassing

whats the point anyway

it's not like the habs will fire randy nor should they

i give randy a for how he has handled this

Old
01-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Not at all what the message is but whatever.
It is exactly the message that is conveyed.

Don't select a franco coach because there are more anglophone candidates.

(French) Language is unimportant because we care about winning

Seems to me the Canadiens' bilingual coaches have done alright.

Jacques Lemaire: SC winner, Adams winner
Jean Perron: SC winner
Pat Burns: SC winner, Adams winner
Jacques Demers: SC winner, Adams winner
Mario Tremblay: ?
Alain Vigneault: SC finalist, Adams winner
Michel Therrien: SC finalist
Claude Julien: SC winner, Adams winner
Guy Carbonneau: Adams finalist
Jacques Martin: Adams winner

Mike Nykoluk: ?
Dan Maloney: ?
John Brophy: ?
George Armstrong: ?
Doug Carpenter: ?
Tom Watt: ?
Pat Burns: SC winner, Adams winner
Mike Murphy: ?
Pat Quinn: SC finalist, Adams winner
Paul Maurice: SC finalist
Ron Wilson: SC finalist

Old
01-08-2012, 01:25 PM
HabsByTheBay

These people are nuts. The woman in the Gazette article who admitted she wasn't a hockey fan. The guy in the photo with the very visible Nordiques button on his hat. They totally failed. 2-300 people in the largest French-speaking city outside Paris? They failed.

The actor in La Presse who said this:

Quote:
«Je me désengage progressivement du Canadien, a déclaré celui qui a incarné René Lévesque au petit écran. Si c'était une équipe de francophones perdante, je serais quand même là à tous les matchs. Je les supporterais et j'adorerais mon équipe. La Coupe Stanley, ce n'est pas une fin en soi. L'important ce n'est pas de gagner ou même de faire les séries. L'important, c'est qu'à chaque match, on ait de grandes émotions et qu'on s'identifie à l'équipe.»
I mean seriously...does this idiot think the Habs would be anywhere near the institution they are if they didn't win? When they were the worst team in hockey in the late 30s and 40s, they nearly folded (obviously the Depression didn't help).

Getting the smackdown from Lafleur, Cournoyer, etc. Beliveau would never say a word, but I bet he agrees with them too.

Plus the music thing is just laughable. The Habs have terrible taste in music...if they picked French music they'd probably come up with Celine Dion or something.

I would LOVE more local players. More francophone players. I definitely want guys who want to give 101% for the sweater because they identify with the CH. I think it's crap the Habs don't even have a fulltime scout for the Q. But I'm glad most people think these folks are idiots. How dare anybody cuss Cunneyworth for saying <<Je suis très content>>. If he's learning some French, then who are they to *****? ****** you, you're some of the people who ran Martin out of a job. They hated him.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Teufelsdreck

There's something about the demonstration that reminds me of the protests when the Brooklyn Dodgers brought up Jackie Robinson. "Major League Baseball is a White Man's Sport and it should always be." Why don't the demonstrators complain about Carey Price because they're used to Patrick Roy and José Théodore and even Cristobal Huet?

Old
01-08-2012, 01:28 PM
donghabs98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
and this is the problem right there, most of these people are not even fans of the team. They're all using this as an excuse to further their political agendas. This is a sports team FFS.

of course we all understand that the canadiens are a symbol of quebec...but do these people ever stop to think that this is a SPORTS team and the reason they became a symbol is cause of their success in the sport.

if they had not won all those stanley cups and were an irrelevant team no one would be calling them a culture symbol
the only reason they became a symbol is cause they were a succesful SPORTS team...
it's absolutely ridiculous to forget that you're dealing with a sports team and everyteams prime goal is to WIN....

if this team becomes a gutter team for 10 straight years and quebec city gets a team thats top of the league we'll see how fast these people care who coaches the habs
agree
these protest paints a bad look on our fan base because most people will look and think they are all montreal fans which they are not

Old
01-08-2012, 01:28 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
As a separatist and french canadian, this issue is a very delicate one.

I couldn't care less about the language our coach speaks and the protest is awfully stupid.

I find it odd and moron that there is a protest about the language of Randy Cunneyworth while not a single **** was given when a bill was passed to allow bridge schools, which is far worst.

I am a french lover and I do believe all people who live in Quebec should be able to speak french. But when it comes to the head coach of the Habs, I couldn't care less.

Also, let's not make it a separatism/federalism debate. It will go nowhere.

QFT. There's already too much political crap in this thread, so if it continues it'll just get locked.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
There's something about the demonstration that reminds me of the protests when the Brooklyn Dodgers brought up Jackie Robinson. "Major League Baseball is a White Man's Sport and it should always be." Why don't the demonstrators complain about Carey Price because they're used to Patrick Roy and José Théodore and even Cristobal Huet?
That's just incredibly, unbelievable bigoted and insulting.

Randy Cunneyworth, a white, canadian, unilingual english hockey coach = Jackie Robinson.

So typical of the ignorant attitudes here. Wow.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:33 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Agree, seeing how much support a coach with a 3-7 record have shows that.
You keep clinging to the record, but the record is not where your problem lies. Tell the truth, Randy Cunneyworth was thrown under the bus head first and had his first game 12 hrs after being hired. He had no chance to put a mark on his team.

Now that he has, the team looks better the last few games than it ever did under JM. If we start winning again consistently I'm sure it will be a sore spot for you. Might as well sit home on your coach and cross your fingers, hoping that Randy fails every night, that way you'll have an easy way out in the summer. Please, 10 games and you think he's a bad coach, get it together ECWHSWI, you're embarrassing yourself.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:38 PM
KingKovy

If you asked the top 25 francophone players in the NHL if they would like to play in Montreal for the same money given the choice and that their answer would be kept confidentialI am positive that almost all of them would say no..

IT'S EXACTLY BECAUSE OF THE BEHAVIOR OF THE MEDIA AND THE WHINERS LIKE THE PEOPLE IN FRONT OF THE BELL CENTER YESTERDAY!

They are driving the Francophones away.. I am French Canadian and I am proud to say all over the world that I am from Montreal which I always specify as the French part of Canada. I went to French school and I will send my kids there as well because I want them to be bilingual but frankly I felt like slapping every one of these people in my way of getting into the arena yesterday because they are the reason why players like Briere said no to Montreal regardless of what he says publicly.

So my questions to all these low lives is:

Do they think that Lecavalier, Briere, Giroux, Lemieux (when he played), Toews, Crosby, St-Louis, etc.. would want to play here given the choice?

Do they think that they are part of the reason why not?

Do they even know who these players are?

Do they know what icing means?

We are here to talk about hockey so I'm not going to start talking about how they have been destroying this city by sending away a big chunk of the great minds since 1980.. How many big level execs in Toronto and Vancouver have French last names?

Old
01-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Hugo Sham

Bravo to ethnic (couched as linguistic) nationalism

bravo to protesting Cunneyworth.
what happened to this becoming a metaphor /model for anglophone and allophone Quebecers - a feel good story of a uni-lingual anglophone learning French a la gainey / Robinson in order to respect the province's culture and communicate with fans and the press?

Sounds a lot like Bill 101 actually working.
it's called perspective. COMPLETELY deprived of, in this situation.

but we'll let more ignorant imbeciles bleed their opinions out of politics...
while others call it a 'conspiracy' on the part of habs management for
putting cunneyworth up to saying a few words in french. because why would the guy want to keep his job as coach of a prestigious franchise in the top league in hockey in the world? OK sarcasm off.. why would he? with all the dreck that actually live here, sounding off on him? ****.

it's embarrassing. it's insecurity and it's pathological victimization.
the language protesters are a large contributor to why many french players don't want to come here...the media feeds their insatiable appetite for heroes and when those heroes aren't winning or become lackadaisical as rich fat cats then they are jettisoned.

so which is it? winning or fallen hero worship?

Old
01-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post

Randy Cunneyworth, a white, canadian, unilingual english hockey coach = Jackie Robinson.

The example may be a little over the top, but that's how a lot of Anglos see it. Jackie Robinson was descriminated upon due to his colour, while Cunneyworth is being descrimated upon due to the language he speaks. Or I should say, does not speak.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
Bravo to ethnic (couched as linguistic) nationalism
I supposed you were also insulted when thousands of idiots waving tiny red flags were chanting CA-NA-DA, CA-NA-DA a week ago at hockey games in Alberta?

Or is nationalism only bad when it isn't yours?

Old
01-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well hate it as you want but French IS the language of Quebec.
Whitesnake, I have the upmost respect for you and you are one of my favorite posters here but I can't budge on this one..

I agree that French is the official language of Quebec. But nowhere does the law say that a private corporation can't hire a person to work within the organization who doesn't speak french unless he works in the public sector.

http://www2.publicationsduquebec.gou..._11/C11_A.html

And even if Quebec's official Language is French it doesn't mean that English is not recognized as an official language and if the laws are not broken in the above link then there is no reason to say that the Habs have committed a crime. The coach of the Canadiens does not have to give a press conference. It's not a law. The Canadiens are not a bank, hospital, public service, governmental body, etc. They are a private company who are part of the NHL who's goal is entertainment and I don't see a clause in the "Charter of the French language" where The Habs have broken any law.

http://www.ocol-clo.gc.ca/html/langu...guistiqu_e.php

I do see this clause right at the top...
"Whereas the National Assembly intends to pursue this objective in a spirit of fairness and open-mindedness, respectful of the institutions of the English-speaking community of Québec, and respectful of the ethnic minorities, whose valuable contribution to the development of Québec it readily acknowledges;"

Cunneyworth has not said anything against the French language. He was put in a position where he didn't have the opportunity to learn French yet and has said publicly that he will do his best to learn French as fast as he can to accommodate the French majority to be able to understand him speak. Where is the respect towards English-speaking community?

Quote:
And whether it is part of Canada or not, whether you are a separatist or not, everybody with some knowledge will understand that this country is build with 2 great solitudes. Everytime there's a survey, this province vote the other way that most of the other provinces are voting. Most provinces went with a conservative party while we went with a left-wing party. And when this NPD vague will stop in 4 years, I can tell you that this province will surely go back to the Bloc once again. Not everybody, I know. But we are talking about the majority. Yet, the majority does not want to separate. But they don't trust that the rest of Canada is actually taking the right decision for their own interest. I think that's pretty clear. So we have things in common. Language and culture isn't one of them. The prerequisite to have a bilingual coach could be tougher than anywhere else. Yet, it is possible. Most coaches we have had even in our tougher of times have ended up being quite good at the NHL level. Calgary does not have this problem....did they end up with better coaches? Toronto? Ottawa? Edmonton? Vancouver? Oh yes, Vancouver did with....Alain Vigneault.
Of course It's in the best interest of the Canadiens to hire a bilingual coach.. The Habs are selling a product. And they will have the more sales if the team is closer in relation to the public than not. But have the Habs ever said every single time the language issue comes up that they are doing everything in their power to have as much French on the team as possible? Yes they have. So why the picketing?

When the Molsons sold the team the first time around, the team was horrible and they had a french coach and more french players than now. But they sucked and not all tickets where sold. Having a french speaking coach is not enough. You have to be able to win. What were the Habs supposed to do with Martin? the team was not winning. Keep him there just to have a French speaking coach?

I understand that the Habs made some mistakes in the past. I always liked Julien. I shut my mouth when they fired him and hired Carbonneau because I was a big fan of him, but I always thought Julien was a good coach and he has proven to be a very good coach. But it doesn't matter who you name as a french speaking coach now, who is available at this moment who can speak French halfway through the season?

let's make an argument, here. The Habs want a bilingual coach in Montreal. You let Gauthier hire someone in mid season. Who would you get? You think Vigneault or Julien will just walk off their contract to go and coach the Habs? You think their respective teams will just let them walk and say nothing? What about other people like Hartley, Roy or any other candidate you can think of. They drop whatever they are doing and come to Montreal and at the end of the season, Gauthier is fired and the new GM fired them too..

Or another argument. Who knows the players and the system they are used to playing most? Cunneyworth. It takes time for a coach with little NHL experience to come in and know their team right out of the block. At least an NHL coach knows the players more than AHL or LHJMQ players do. Unfortunately the last two AHL coach's who spoke French with potential were Kevin Dineen and Guy Boucher.

Montreal chose to try and right a sinking ship by replacing a coach they had lost faith in and replaced him with the best available person to do they job at this present moment. Cunneyworth. And they made it clear it's only a temporary solution. Yet people still act like the Habs are not looking in the best interest of the majority of local fans.

Quote:
I believe that people who keeps saying that we are reducing the number of great candidates are just eithier not interested to look at what the Q produces or just think that the Q sucks period. Which anglophones here knew Guy Boucher before the medias started to sell it to you? But then people will say "well, he sucks doesn't he, look at his record, he wasn't that good after all..." Well that's not the point. It's Yzerman who got him. Not another french friend. Besides, we can't say that the Yzerman-Boucher sucks after 2 years. We are told by a lot of people in this very own board to be patient with the Gauthier-Gainey pairing after 8 freakin years....it it works for us, has to work for them.
I can't speak for anyone but me, but I knew of Boucher and I think that any coach needs time to improve in the NHL before calling him a bust.

Quote:
Why are people not picketing in front of Brière's and Lecavalier's families? Are you serious? Don't you hear the booing that Brière gets everytime he touches the puck? Don't you think it's a tough enough statement for a guy who just evidently chose a better team? Come on.
Ya I know. But it's not the Habs fault that Lecavalier, St-Louis, Briere, Lemieux, etc chose not to come to Montreal. Some of the protesters were upset with the lack of French players. It's not easy to land a french talented player in Montreal. Every GM knows that if they trade a French player to 28 teams in the NHL they can get X in value. But if the Habs are interested, they can ask Montreal for X+extra and Montreal will still pay for it. It's only common sense.

Quote:
And then you go on to explain how it's important to not concentrate solely on the locals with the Réjean Houle era? Again, seriously?
I gave an example. Want me to go into detail what Andre Savard did to the team too? I was writing a post, not a detailed book on the Habs worst seasons. And I wasn't insinuating that French GMs are bad. Serge Savard was a great GM in his days. I was just mentioning the fact that picking French players in the Draft or Trading for french players "only" only to stock up on French players isn't always the best way to go.

Quote:
Yes, this is was the worst choice ever.
Yes it was.. lol!!

Quote:
Probably not at the Milbury level (see an anglo could be really bad as well)
By far the worst GM ever.

Quote:
but he clearly made us go backwards for at least 5-7 years. At best. And yes, they went with francos which credentials were only their language. WHICH IS NOT WHAT PEOPLE WANT.(not sure how many times I have to write this). Yes, the Q is not what it used to be. But there are still great prospects in there. Hindsight or not, you could have had a team filled with Bergeron, Pominville, Giroux, Perron, Vlasic, Letang etc. if you wanted to. Paired with plugglers like Laperrière, Talbot, Lapierre.
The talent is there. It's not as clear. But when you believe in something, you do the extra mile and put your confidence in what you believe in.
Of course people what Good French players. But they aren't as easy to find as you make it sound. Houle tried and failed miserably. Whitesnake the Habs do draft French players. We both know that. Why else would the Habs have drafted Archambault, Leblanc, Dumont, Fortier, Carle, etc. And you have been to how many development camps? A lot. And how many invites do they Habs have come who are not drafted but have potential? a lot. Desharnais was one of them. If the Habs didn't want French representation on the team they wouldn't waste their time looking at every possibility in obtaining more french players.

Bergeron was picked at #45. Montreal picked Urquhart at #40. So they didn't "not" pick a player from the Q. they picked the "wrong" player from the Q. Letang was picked at #62 but the Canadiens picket Latendresse at #45. So are they avoiding French players? No, they are just trying to pick good players and aren't always on the ball.. you never know a player's potential until he reaches the NHL and plays a few seasons.

Quote:
The talent is there. It's not as clear. But when you believe in something, you do the extra mile and put your confidence in what you believe in. We put our confidence in the American program. We believe in it. Result? 14 freakin picks coming from the American system since 2007 (including Louis Leblanc a Quebecer yet, the program was American). Now, are the US better at developing right now than the Q? Surely. And while I'm a Q fan, people know how a NCAA fan I am as well. Go Wolverines. But it will be real interesting to see how many will get out and be NHL pros compared to the Q products we have chosen or not chose to make room for the Americans. We will see in a later time. 2007 looks good for McDo and MaxPac. While we all love and adore MaxPac as you can see with my avatar, if we would have went with Perron, nothing suggest we would have less appreciate him.
From memory, RDS was drooling over Angelo Esposito. When the Habs picked in the first round, they picked McDonagh and Pacioretty. The next day, RDS flamed the organization for picking them over Esposito and Perron and even took it a step further and mocked the names of the Former. Where is Esposito now? Maybe if Perron didn't have attitude problems he would have been picked instead of McDonagh or Pacioretty. But there are way worst examples than McDonagh and Pacioretty. I agree I'm not the biggest fan of the drafting in the first round that Timmins has decided on. But the team did change a lot of staff in prospect scouting in the last few years and they did Pick up Leblanc recently.

The Habs are trying to pick up more players from the Q but they aren't too highly rated and not many teams are drafting many players from the Q either. You can't blame the Habs for this. They can't control the talent coming out of the Q.

So to say that they aren't trying isn't fair. Saying that they have not had the right scouts is more fair. But they revamped their local scouting and still drafting French players. What more do you want?

Quote:
In later rounds, while we went with Stejskal and Conboy, only an ontarian native but Q product, Paul Byron has played some games. Yes, another diminutive Q product, yet, we don't seem to hate those guys do we? 2008. I like Quailer, I really do. Some untapped potential there. Yet, much later was drafted Jason Demers. Okay, that's hindsight. But that is not the point. The point is while talent is tougher to find. IT IS THERE. And for the ONLY team who has a supposed LOCAL combine, aren't we supposed to be on top of the other teams?
List of players invited to the 2011 Development camp
http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=564594
Berger, Bournival, Dumont, Leblanc, Lefebvre, Masse, Dame-Malka

It's like that every year. Some years even more. They do look for talent.

Quote:
Not like the Habs are avoiding french players? Sorry, this is where I beg to differ. I might not have any proof so that's just an opinion.
Well I have shown proof that they are looking for French players and they do intend on having the Habs coach speak French next season. They might not be trying hard enough in your opinion, but in my opinion they are trying more than every other team in the NHL. Like I said, drafting has not been the Habs strong point in the past but they have revamped their prospect staff and you have to give them time to see if they get any better.

Quote:
But Gauthier wants to control everything as we already know. And he probably would want to control what's coming out of his players' mouths. For that, you need to reduce the number of people talking. And since french medias always go to politically correct Darche, well that's less distraction for the Habs, or so they think. 'Cause then they disregard the distraction that not having a whole lot of guys is causing. Again, when you want them, you get them. And we saw a diminution of those guys lately. While in the same time, TBay has seen an augmentation of those guys.
Again, having more French players on your team is not as easy as everyone makes it sound. Tampa is no better than Montreal this season. Lecavalier and St-Louis chose Tampa, "not" Montreal didn't chose Lecavalier and St-Louis. Who else do they have? MAB, sure he's better than Kaberle in my opinion. You think Garon is better than Price? Who's left? Gervais and Labrie? That's not stocking up.

So they have 3 guys in MAB, Gervais and Labrie that might posibly come to Montreal has they offered them a contract. Are they better than anyone we have in Montreal?

So Tampa had 6 players play for them this season. Montreal had Desharnais, Drache, St-Denis, Leblanc and Leblanc. They also have Webber and Diaz who can speak some french. That's also 6.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
While in the same time, you see a team like Philly who has drafted 8 guys coming from the Q since 2007.Not all with success, I know. But it is just to show that when you have an interest in it, you go the extra mile to do so. We've have had 5 Q guys since that draft.
I'll mention is again, The Q is not very strong in the recent years and maybe Philly hired better staff in the past to find the "diamond" in the rough in Quebec. Give Montreal a chance. Their scouting staff was bad. they have noticed they missed the boat on that and they have tried to correct it. You can't change time. They are trying.

Quote:
Oh and the rule about french players....look it up...it didn't last very long.
Link??? Besides, scouting today isn't what it was 30 years ago. Teams have a lot more money to invest on scouts across the world. Lecavalier type players would have probably been drafted in Montreal much easier in the 70ies than today. Lemieux was Drafted by Johnston. He grew up in Montreal. I know his brother mike very well. You can't hide guys like that anymore. Times have changed and it's harder than ever to get players in Montreal who speak French.

Quote:
Yes, there are great players everywhere. I just said that we have to be present everywhere, Sweden etc....But the Q cannot be discarded the way they are doing. And next time, when you do a local combine, just don't pick a guy like Giroux 'cause he has slower feet than Mathieu Carle.....
I honestly think the Gainey/Gauthier era have made some big mistakes with their scouting both in pro and minor hockey. At least they revamped the minor scouting, but I lost faith in their decision making and I hope to see management change this summer, But to say they aren't trying to find French staff and players is false in my opinion and I took the time to find proof to defend my argument.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:56 PM
Not The One

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaFranks View Post
The example may be a little over the top, but that's how a lot of Anglos see it. Jackie Robinson was descriminated upon due to his colour, while Cunneyworth is being descrimated upon due to the language he speaks. Or I should say, does not speak.
Well yay for Cunneyworth breaking down barriers for white canadian unilingual english hockey coaches. They are indeed a disadvantaged few.

God this whole thing is ridiculous.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:59 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

The example is extreme, but I want you to explain your post to me and the rest of this thread:

What does the fact that Randy is white, Canadian, and unilingual anglo have to do with him being discriminated against or not?

Are you trying to imply that it's impossible to discriminate against someone who is white-anglo-canadian? Even when that's precisely what's being done here?

Not even 24 hours after being named to head coach, Randy had political officials calling for him to be fired: for the "mistake to be corrected." All because of the language he speaks, or doesn't speak.

...and we're the ones being bigoted here?

Give your head a shake.

edit:

Quote:
Well yay for Cunneyworth breaking down barriers for white canadian unilingual english hockey coaches. They are indeed a disadvantaged few.

That is what you are implying! Yikes.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
And the Habs have done a great of job of that lately haven't they? Must because of all their french players.

No french = Winning!
Anglo coach = Winning!

Sad that the inherent bigotry in that position is lost on so many anglophones...
I don't think you could have done a better job at missing the point.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:06 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
I supposed you were also insulted when thousands of idiots waving tiny red flags were chanting CA-NA-DA, CA-NA-DA a week ago at hockey games in Alberta?

Or is nationalism only bad when it isn't yours?
No, Nationalism is bad when causes you to have protests to fire someone you've never met who happens to be doing about as good a job as Scotty ****ing Bowman himself would given the circumstances.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your heritage. I am actually proud to have franco roots. I'm also proud of my Ukrainian, and Jewish roots. It is wrong to allow that pride to turn into bigotry, which is what has happened.

I'm sorry your victim complex cannot allow you to see this for yourself.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Agreed, which is why I said that the example provided was a little over the top.

It's along the same lines though. People didn't want Jackie Robinson playing baseball because he was Black. While some don't want Cunneyworth to coach because he can't speak French.

Robinson's skin colour in no way effected the way he played baseball. Just like Cunneyworth's language, in no way effects the way he coaches. (I don't include press conferences, as I usually don't learn anything I didn't already know from them).

Yet there were groups against Robinson and now Cunneyworth who were/are against them. So if you look closely, there are a lot of similarities. The only difference is, the ones against Robinson were racists, while the ones against Cunneyworth are trying to preserve their French language/heritage.

I'll agree with you on the last part. This is ridiculous.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Seems a lot of the protesters were pretty old judging by the pictures. I like the picture showing a Nordiques pin on someone's hat too.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:14 PM
bryan1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
"The majority of quebecers" should get off their ass and start working, make money, and buy their own damn team then. They have no more say in who gets hired by the Habs than who gets hired by Bombardier or Wal-Mart.

The Habs don't owe you or me anything. You pay 1 ticket, you get to see 1 game, that's it. Je suis québécois francophone and I can't stand our people's mindset. We had a stupid unionized mentality and it's running us collectively directly in a wall. No one owes you a damn thing, get that in your head, and work to get what you want, the way you want it.

Bravo je suis d'accord a 100%

Closed Thread