HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tuomo Ruutu

Old
01-08-2012, 05:12 AM
Vaasa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
So you're taking out Petrecki and expecting Ruutu for a 2nd and two salary dumps essentially?
Irwin isn't a salary dump by any stretch. He's just a different type of prospect. Irwin was just named to the AHL All-Star team. Outside of the 2 guys in the NHL (Demers and Braun), he's probably our best pure puck-moving D prospect.

The Sharks have a fair number of offensive defenseman youngsters. But they only have 1 prospect who can replace Murray as a physical shut-down defender, and that's Petrecki.

And as much as I would like to get Ruutu, I don't believe in sacrificing the only prospect in the entire team pool who can fill a needed role for what could be rental. Irwin is just as NHL-ready, if not more so.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:50 AM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkanen5rings View Post
If it's Gleason+ Ruutu I could see Minnesota being very interested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I would second that from the Flyers' perspective.
I would third that from the Blackhawks' perspective.

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Discipline Daddy
NHL All star Aucoin

I want to also add that Tuomo is a very loyal player. When he signed his last deal a few years ago, his agent commented that Ruutu kept telling him that he wanted to stay in Carolina. He feels valued here and enjoys the area.

That said, if Ruutu is traded to the Sharks or another good team, I would bet he'd fall in love with that team as well and feel even more supported as a player with some other firepower to play with. I fear that if the Hurricanes traded Ruutu, he'd end up resigning wherever he lands if that team has any interest of doing so.

Furthermore, he's been absolutely awesome under Muller. He's one of my favorite players and he's clearly a bright spot on a bad team this year.

Discipline Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline Daddy View Post
I want to also add that Tuomo is a very loyal player. When he signed his last deal a few years ago, his agent commented that Ruutu kept telling him that he wanted to stay in Carolina. He feels valued here and enjoys the area.

That said, if Ruutu is traded to the Sharks or another good team, I would bet he'd fall in love with that team as well and feel even more supported as a player with some other firepower to play with. I fear that if the Hurricanes traded Ruutu, he'd end up resigning wherever he lands if that team has any interest of doing so.

Furthermore, he's been absolutely awesome under Muller. He's one of my favorite players and he's clearly a bright spot on a bad team this year.
What do you he'll want to re-sign for?

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Discipline Daddy
NHL All star Aucoin

Quote:
What do you he'll want to re-sign for?
It's a tough call with the labor uncertainty this year and possible pay cuts across the board. However, if we ignore that, I'm thinking he'll seek a contract with a higher cap hit than his current $3.8 million and somewhere along the lines of his current $4.4 million salary. His agent (Bill Zito I think) will probably use Ville Leino's and Erik Cole's contracts as comparisons, so I'd say $4.5 million is about right.

The price tag will be high with his UFA status, but Ruutu is a very valuable piece and is probably worth $4.5 million for the right team.

Discipline Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:08 PM
bernmeister

1. He's free after season unless he extends; probably wants to test waters; so he probably is traded.

2. A team with extra resources could give a 2nd plus. Remains to be seen they will.

3. Rangers should offer 3rd +. Or maybe Yorgan + a 4th?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote