HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gazette Article on Protest

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Belso

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padrino86 View Post
The most pathetic thing I've read from this is how Beaulieu complains that the announcement are made in both languages and they should not. That's just obsessive biggotry.
No demonstrations for raising the taxes. No demonstrations for not having enough doctors in the province. But let's demonstrate about bilingual announcements in Canada... Sad...

Old
01-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
I supposed you were also insulted when thousands of idiots waving tiny red flags were chanting CA-NA-DA, CA-NA-DA a week ago at hockey games in Alberta?

Or is nationalism only bad when it isn't yours?
study the difference between nationalism and ethnic nationalism and then return to the intelligent segment of this debate

Old
01-08-2012, 01:26 PM
bjac

The sad part is that alot of individuals are using this situation as a political vehicle with no regards to the actual Canadiens organization and the game of hockey itself. For alot of them, it has nothing to do with hockey, which is exactly what is wrong with it. It is just politicians taking advantage of a highly volatile debate, derailing it and making it suit their needs so that they will get their 15 minutes. People are just pushing their agendas. It happens all over the world, in every culture, and its a shame.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:27 PM
BigHab*

What does one say? Gotta love Canada...about the only Western country that pays a bunch of separatists to sit in their big house and make decisions on a country they want to divide...and to top it all off...she then offers them big fat pensions. Nationalism...pretty word, isn't it? It was once called treason, in the days before political correctness. It was a crime punishable by death. Now we all know that Quebec will never separate from Canada as she enjoys too many benefits as the spoiled child of confederation. Sadly, the rest of the country are too passive and pathetic in regards to the language laws of Quebec as they violate basic human rights. English is the number one language of Canada...French right now comes in at number two with around 5 million speakers....followed closely by the Asians who are now` closing in around 3 million. With all of this crap going on....it's time to make English the official language of Canada and have a second language for regions or areas.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
Well yay for Cunneyworth breaking down barriers for white canadian unilingual english hockey coaches. They are indeed a disadvantaged few.

God this whole thing is ridiculous.
nothing to do with Cunneyworth. nothing and that's the point.

fyi...i couldn't give a flying **** about any kind of nationalism; and certainly the type that creates fear / paranoia /separation between its own citizens

Old
01-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
The sad part is that alot of individuals are using this situation as a political vehicle with no regards to the actual Canadiens organization and the game of hockey itself. For alot of them, it has nothing to do with hockey, which is exactly what is wrong with it. It is just politicians taking advantage of a highly volatile debate, derailing it and making it suit their needs so that they will get their 15 minutes. People are just pushing their agendas. It happens all over the world, in every culture, and its a shame.
That.. /Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 01:33 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHab View Post
What does one say? Gotta love Canada...about the only Western country that pays a bunch of separatists to sit in their big house and make decisions on a country they want to divide...and to top it all off...she then offers them big fat pensions. Nationalism...pretty word, isn't it? It was once called treason, in the days before political correctness. It was a crime punishable by death. Now we all know that Quebec will never separate from Canada as she enjoys too many benefits as the spoiled child of confederation. Sadly, the rest of the country are too passive and pathetic in regards to the language laws of Quebec as they violate basic human rights. English is the number one language of Canada...French right now comes in at number two with around 5 million speakers....followed closely by the Asians who are now` closing in around 3 million. With all of this crap going on....it's time to make English the official language of Canada and have a second language for regions or areas.
It must suck supporting a team where many of the fans speak French. Have you tried another team?

Being a separatist is treason. Sorry, that is absurd. Big-boy countries can handle things better than throwing people in jail for not supporting the status quo. You know who pulls that stuff? Dictatorships. Grow up.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:35 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
Only 200 protesters?

What is the population of Quebec again?
That's the thing... It's not even a frenchi vs Anglo fight. It's 200 dumbheads who think they are the center of the world vs 8 million of us lol (6.5ish frenchies I'd guess)

Old
01-08-2012, 01:37 PM
habtastic

I would say before this most Montreal anglophones who speak French (let's be honest, we all speak French in MTL...except Cunney) were actually in Quebec's corner most of the time. We love our city, we love our tradition and we love our Habs (it's tough love, sure). This whole debacle has created more divisiveness than I've personally experienced between the two cultures. I was only 11 during the last referendum and I remember it causing a lot of problems and I couldn't quite grasp the issues. Living in Ontario, I've been exposed to how ignorant people are outside of Quebec about Quebec, about French as a language and generally the sentiment was F Quebec. Being from Montreal, I always defended it, saying "how would you feel if the rest of your country was against you and counter to your culture". I was being an apologist for the sentiment that not enough people in Canada learn French or even care. It was be thinking that we should be united and that idiots like Cherry who bash "frenchies" should be fired. Those things enraged me even though my cultural background is not French (and let's be honest, we mean Québecois).

Then there's THIS and I'm again confused about who I am wrt to this province, this country. It is f'in sad when I realize that Toronto embraces immigrant cultures (not to mention Vancouver and Ottawa) and that we're not even talking about that. We're talking about a dude who doesn't speak French, but who is trying to dig the Habs out of a hole. RDS is a franco paradise. Everything Habs-related is French. There is every effort to appease and celebrate the French tradition. I have embraced that and personally I prefer to watch the games in French, it just feels more special to me (FTR, I think Pierre Houde and Marc Denis are class acts who never try to push an agenda unlike their colleagues). Now it just disgusts me and for the first time I realize that this entire country is full of idiots. Of course they're small minority groups, but while I regale in watching the mess that is US politics, I realize we are just as F'd as them when it comes to this issue.

I'm angered when my friends in Ontario say derisive things about the French and Quebec. I'm so happy when I meet a fellow Quebecois who I can speak French to. And now, I'm just disgusted by the notion that on this board some people are saying stuff like Anglos have it easy in Quebec, don't contribute, don't help society and they aren't really part of Quebec's fabric. It's total BS. I always speak French when I go home, even though it gets rusty when I don't use it for awhile. I celebrate the uniqueness of Montreal, what a great city I come from. And then...this. Puke in my mouth. We are no better than a bible belt evangelical state, rife with people who can't think for themselves and who are fooled by masters of deception to create this scenario. This whole incident has done one thing for them - strengthened their base of total dimwits who blatantly follow a false narrative and who vote against their best interests. I'm starting to understand (again) why the rest of Canada thinks Quebecers are a spoilt entitled group of whiny brats. And really, it's not even the case. It's the select few who ruin it for everyone, on both sides. We really need a leader to galvanize the two sides, to foster mutual respect, to make everyone aware of their differences, but truly appreciate them. There are so many French colonies where the locals don't act like jackasses wrt their modified French culture (this isn't France, in case people forget).

This is just another episode from the book of "both sides have idiots" in this country. I'm from Montreal, I speak French. I'm proud. I'm not even CULTURALLY "english" (in fact, they've done far more harm to my ancestral country than anyone throughout history). I think my culture is Montreal. And that's French and English and these protesters can just suck it. I'm a Habs fan, a real one and THAT's what counts.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:54 PM
LePoche69

I'm a french speaking separatists.

I don't care about what language the coach is speaking, and as a matter of fact, I don't care what language any player is talking. I love the team, no matter what it does.

That said, for the CEO of any company based in Quebec with a minimum of cultural reasonnace, it is plain stupid to hire a "english-only" speaking coach or manager. It is bad branding and bad marketing. Like it or not. And I bet any intelligent english CEO would agree!

Old
01-08-2012, 01:57 PM
penaltykiller

Here is a part of a post I made on the main board

The problem is that some people still see hockey with their 1955 glasses ,as a french vs english thing. They probably even think that Clarence Campbell is still in charge.

They don't care about hockey , they only saw the opportunity to be seen on camera. I believe that the 21 273 who where cheering inside the Bell Center were louder that the 300 or so of them.

As someone who supports the idea of independence of Quebec, it really shames me to be put in the same sentence as these extremists guys.

By the way , i did not even met a person yesterday who even spoke about the protest or said anything bad about Randy Cunneyworth. I mean , the guy is doing his best to help the team and learning french. Everyone should be behind him trying to support and cheer , right ?

Old
01-08-2012, 02:01 PM
hockeyfan2k11

And the hockey world laughs at us once more.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:09 PM
TheBuriedHab

Randy Cunneyworth is trying to learn french, hes not stubborn and saying he doesn't need to learn french because coaching a hockey team. Doesn't he deserve a shot to learn some french? Don't most people who move into this province learn french? Hes learning it, he respects it, I think thats all he can do right now. People want them ready made, perfectly bilingual in both languages, give him some damn time to learn the language.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:27 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
If you are willing to ignore the fact that 200 people turned up in the second largest French speaking city on planet Earth to have a go at Montreal, the Canadiens, and their fans, then you are the one who should be laughed at.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:31 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Randy Cunneyworth is trying to learn french, hes not stubborn and saying he doesn't need to learn french because coaching a hockey team. Doesn't he deserve a shot to learn some french? Don't most people who move into this province learn french? Hes learning it, he respects it, I think thats all he can do right now. People want them ready made, perfectly bilingual in both languages, give him some damn time to learn the language.
Cunneyworth is in a win-win situation right now.

If the team wins and make the playoffs, he's a hero.

If the team struggles, he's fired at the end of the season and find a good head coaching job elsewhere. He,s gonna be praised for his resilince vs the French medias and some excited non-fans.

Each sigle NHL game as head coach - and especially in Montreal - is a big CV booster for RC.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:35 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
I’m not a big Canadiens fan, but they are a symbol for Quebec. The Canadiens are Quebec’s team,” Racine said in French. “We’re talking about our values. It is political, but I think politics are everywhere … so this is very much a political gesture that we’re making.”

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...#ixzz1itvWrn2T
rofl. Morons plain and simple.

Basically admitted she isn't a fan and said this is political. How ****ing moronic can some get?

Also to the moron protesting than the announcements are made in both languages...hmm maybe because 700,000 ENGLISH speaking people live on the island. ****ing bigot.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:39 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
I'm a french speaking separatists.

I don't care about what language the coach is speaking, and as a matter of fact, I don't care what language any player is talking. I love the team, no matter what it does.

That said, for the CEO of any company based in Quebec with a minimum of cultural reasonnace, it is plain stupid to hire a "english-only" speaking coach or manager. It is bad branding and bad marketing. Like it or not. And I bet any intelligent english CEO would agree!
Not at all. If the team wins regardless of the coach speaking French or not he will make money.

If say we get a French coach and the team sucks will he make as much money as he would with an English coach winning? Don't think so.

It goes both ways.

Choose the best coach possible. Period.

I know the Canadiens are a proud symbol of Quebec and I respect that but we got to evolve. The NHL is anglophone and the Canadiens sole reason to be in the NHL is to win.

People keep using that they have to make the fans happy. I agree. The fans will be happy with a winner much more than with a bilingual coach. Not even close.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:41 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
It just shows how people have stopped giving a damn. 200 is nothing when you have over 1.6M living on the island.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:46 PM
sirMcDuck

Old
01-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Jerk Store*
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Quebec is part of Canada and Canada has two official languages. I hate it when people claim French is the official language of Quebec and purposely mislead people into thinking it's a sin to speak English when we have every right to by law.

And why are there no people picketing in front of the family of Lecavalier and Briere for not signing with Montreal when they had the choice? It's not like the Habs are avoiding French players and a French speaking coach on purpose.

Who remembers the years where Rejean Houle had his staff draft players from the LHJMQ just because they were french and never even made it in the NHL just to please the Fans? He traded or signed as free agents Richer, Quintal, Poulin, Belanger, Lachance just to get some French names on the team. That was the beginning of the dark years which the Habs never recovered.

Montreal also had an advantage getting Quebec players to start their careers in Montreal because of rules existing before the 80's that aren't around anymore.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/hoc.../canadiens.htm

It's harder and harder for for teams to be competitive in the NHL and it's harder and harder for the Canadiens to have more talented French players on their team.. The rules have changed. The league has changed. The best Quebec players are fair game in the Draft and they get to sign where ever they want when they become UFA.

People are so ignorant it bothers me. One man even said Maurice Richard would turn in his grave if he heard the new coach could only speak English.. Seriously? Like Seriously? Who was his coach? Dick Irving and Toe Blake.. The arguments are horrid. What should we do? Eradicate all the Stanley cup banners in the Bell center where the coaches only spoke English?

I can't wait for people to wake up and see things won't ever be like before the 70ies.

I hope the Habs find ways to attract more French players and for the fans who can't speak English, I hope either Cunnyworth learns French or they find a good French speaking coach, but please people, don't think there's a conspiracy to destroy the French language and culture just because there a lack of competent winning candidates and once in 50 years the Habs put an Anglo behind the bench..

Old
01-08-2012, 03:02 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Not at all. If the team wins regardless of the coach speaking French or not he will make money.

If say we get a French coach and the team sucks will he make as much money as he would with an English coach winning? Don't think so.

It goes both ways.

Choose the best coach possible. Period.

I know the Canadiens are a proud symbol of Quebec and I respect that but we got to evolve. The NHL is anglophone and the Canadiens sole reason to be in the NHL is to win.

People keep using that they have to make the fans happy. I agree. The fans will be happy with a winner much more than with a bilingual coach. Not even close.
Exactly, what a lot of people don't get is the 700k anglophones and 90% of the francophone population that doesn't give a **** will gladly continue watching.

They could practically burn the Quebec flag before every game and I guarantee you enough people would still watch to turn a profit even despite it(exaggeration obviously, but you get the point). How anyone thinks 200 people protesting and an Anglo coach mean anything makes me laugh. You think these guys are worried they will lose $? They aren't. If you stop renewing for season tickets people like myself who don't give 2 ***** about the politics will buy them. It'll be your loss in the end.

I **** you not even if 50% of the season ticket holders bailed people would come out in droves to take their places.

Old
01-08-2012, 03:09 PM
kovaless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Winning is irrelevant. The Canadiens are deeply tied to the Quebec culture and should represent the Quebecers. The rest is irrelevant.

Would rather lose with a Quebecois head coach than win the cup with a anglophone coach.
Wow that's completely stupid way to run a business.

No wonder people are evacuating the province. I can't think of one good reason why anyone would to setup a business there.

This whole I'm a drama queen seperatist thing has been played out. They lost. Get over it.
Time for the province to get serious and move with the times. The whole world thinks they are a joke.

I love the Habs, and seriously couldn't give a rats ass what language the coach uses to do his job...that is to coach the team.

This is not the 50's and 60's anymore. French is NOT a requirement for NHL hockey in Quebec. When you have 15 plus French players, then fine a case is warranted, but that will never happen again.

I want someone who wins, you know, a winner. Not someone who everyone thinks is qualified because he talks to the media for 10 minutes in French.
That is the most rediculous qualification to compete in a major NA league.

Montreal has nice restaurants, good looking women, and a good hockey team. Unfortunately, not that much else.

Old
01-08-2012, 03:12 PM
shutehinside

This entire "it's a cultural thing" debate is ridiculous. Does Man U care what language their coach speaks? Do the Yankee fans demand they have a coach from New York? Do any team in any sports market anywhere in the world care about anything other than winning?! **** no! Winning is the only perquisite.

What's more important, boasting to a Leas fan about our teams 24 Cups or the fact we had a French speaking coach? Give me a ****ing break.

Anyone who makes the Habs a Quebec/language issue is using the wrong soap box. The Habs are a part of Quebec culture but they're so important because we won so damn much. When we were winning, language was never an issue. Why is it now when the focus should be how best to get back to our winning ways. Does matter how, what matters is bringing back pride to our favorite team. To do this we need to win and we need an owner who has the balls to know the difference.

Molson has to decide, does he wish to be an owner who placated 200 admitted non hockey fans or an owner who brings us back to our wining tradition, not French tradition. He's not the language police, he's the owner of a privately owned hockey franchise.

Old
01-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Hugo Sham

much of this debate is based purely on insecurity. franco culture and language is to be treasured so celebrate the riopelles, tremblays etc...
not a sports team which, while it is a 'public treasury', has always represented a mix of languages and cultures from Quebec/Canada/Planet Earth. and im speaking of the last 70 years, not the absolute beginnings.

it's a shame it has come to this again. and for the record i believe that if Quebec separated - which seems to be quite far away these days with the bloc flushed away and marois about to do the same for the PQ - i do believe montreal would try and separate from the rest of Quebec and remain in canada

Old
01-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

People have the right to protest on any subject matter. And seeing from what they were doing on tv, it was done in a rather civilized manner. Their strategy was to give people little Quebec flags.

Closed Thread