HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#42 Kings get BJ'd ... Can we just STOP w/ Afternoon games already ?

Old
01-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
oh good, the dislodging the net talk that took up 30 pages in the GDT has found its way to the PGT. Excellent

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:38 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

As long as *****ing is the mood now, I really don't understand closing the game threads so fast...the last two games I got a vBulletin message saying the thread is closed AFTER composing my post.

I am on a mobile device and I am on the same thread throughout the game at Staples. It is stupid to close the the GDT so fast...and very inconvenient for us mobile users.

There really is no reason, because vBulletin can handle the heavy (joke) load that the thread is getting. This isn't 1995, guys.

Just an observation. I'm sure the obsolete procedure will continue. HF Boards is slower to adapt than federal government in this regard.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

When Sutter was hired, he stated that the NHL was "a 3-2 league."

Now he knows, when the Kings are involved, the NHL is a 1-0 league.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:18 AM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
Was at the game today, all I'm going to say is that Mitchell is awesome, needs to be resigned.

kingscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:24 AM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteHead View Post
Stop blaming Jamie Kompon. Although it's apparent he can't make it right, he's not the guys on the ice making it wrong. Seriously, you believe bringing in another coach will make it right? They did that already. Fired Murray, brought in Sutter... team is scoring LESS goals now than they were before. And that's not Sutter's fault nor Murray's. The team is overrated by the fans. Period. Maximum suckage.

And Drew Doughty... my GOD... he looks like he's cashed his paycheck in quarters and is wearing it in his shorts...
We have a winner!!!!

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:25 AM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
The one thing I hate most about games at Staples.

Everything is the refs fault. No matter what. NO MATTER WHAT.

I just wish people would be obsessive like me and learn the letter of the law so they weren't ****ing imbeciles at the game and getting butt hurt and calling out the refs every two seconds for textbook hooking/interference/tripping calls and (non) calls.
You think Staples is bad? Look north to Vancouver...

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:38 AM
bobafettish*

If it wasn't hard enough for kings to attract high end talent. the possibility of being one of the worst teams offensively in nhl history sure isn't gonna help. thanks DL

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:14 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
The one thing I hate most about games at Staples.

Everything is the refs fault. No matter what. NO MATTER WHAT.

I just wish people would be obsessive like me and learn the letter of the law so they weren't ****ing imbeciles at the game and getting butt hurt and calling out the refs every two seconds for textbook hooking/interference/tripping calls and (non) calls.
not many people are as keen to details as you. but you should feel empowered, it's actually you people who are here to educate the rest of us.

it's weird, if it's not the coaching - because that has changed but same results.
and if it's not the players (in terms of individual talent) - because they can score, but they're all slumping together
then maybe it's the chemistry within the locker room. yet, whenever the team talks about the team, they seem to truly like each other. We don't have the information we need to make an assessment from the outside really, but one does have to wonder what is going on behind those doors that is making this happen.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:01 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
not many people are as keen to details as you. but you should feel empowered, it's actually you people who are here to educate the rest of us.

it's weird, if it's not the coaching - because that has changed but same results.
and if it's not the players (in terms of individual talent) - because they can score, but they're all slumping together
then maybe it's the chemistry within the locker room. yet, whenever the team talks about the team, they seem to truly like each other. We don't have the information we need to make an assessment from the outside really, but one does have to wonder what is going on behind those doors that is making this happen.
But it hasn't changed yet. Same assistants and same system. Once Dean and his philosophy is gone, we will see what the core has to offer. Sutter has only tweaked the fore check and the emotion of the team, not big enough changes to really affect the offensive results. Dean needs to let Sutter pick his own staff, but maybe AEG is too cheap to pay all of them.

I still believe in the players, they are just asked to play a certain way that isn't going to allow the scoring chances to get 3 or 4 goals consistently.

That year of the super-PP looks to be the aberration.

Yet Dean doesn't think there is any problem with his approach or system. He has built the team exactly as his philosophy dictates and it is a failure on the ice. Just like his failure in SJ, yet he still thinks he was successful in SJ.

In SJ he had 2 1st round playoff wins in 7 seasons and just 1 Pacific title. In LA he is well on his way to zero playoff round wins in 6 seasons and zero division titles. 13 seasons and 2 playoff round wins.

Doug Wilson has been to the conference finals 3 times and has 5 Pacific titles since Dean was fired, in 8 seasons. Hopefully the next Kings GM will have similar success post Dean.

I'm not opposed to any of the players being traded, I'm not a fan of any player, I'm a fan of the Los Angeles Kings. I just don't want Dean making the decisions, let the new GM mold his team for offense. Dean needs to sink or swim with this group of players.

Quote:
Los Angeles Kings Title Chances

Lost to Columbus 0-1, playoff odds down 11.1 to 46.6%

47 points 20 15-7

Last edited by Sydor25: 01-08-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

as far as the pp goes, I will say something that i have been saying since half way through last season, and every time i do, i get mocked and people go 'CANUCKS PLAYOFF SERIES THO!!!'

Johnson and Doughty are both terrible pp qb's, they both have no clue what they are doing back there. Stoll is better than both, since he is at least quick and decisive with the puck, yes his shots suck, but at least he gets his shots off quickly and once in a million shots something happens.

Richards and Voynov should be playing point with the pp being run through Richards. 1 of Clifford/Fraser/someone who can actually screen the goalie should be infront of the net and Kopitar and Brown should float around, moving into the slot/down low/wherever just moving around

Muzzinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
COACH SCOTT ARNIEL
(on the game…) “I think certainly Curtis (Sanford) was certainly the big story there. He played outstanding, made the big saves. But I have got to give a lot of credit to our team. We blocked a lot of shots. Penalty kill did an outstanding job. They [the Kings] did get shots but we really took away any of the backdoor, tap-in type of things. If there were rebounds we cleared them out of there. Our shot blocking (today) was one of the best I’ve seen it this year.’’
I don't think anyone had the heart to tell him that the Kings never even try the back-door tap-in plays.

The Kings also always get a ton of shots blocked. I hope Arniel doesn't think his team has turned a corner.

The Kings are now officially below 2 goals per 60 minutes at 1.98.

Last edited by Sydor25: 01-08-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old
01-08-2012, 11:27 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
as far as the pp goes, I will say something that i have been saying since half way through last season, and every time i do, i get mocked and people go 'CANUCKS PLAYOFF SERIES THO!!!'

Johnson and Doughty are both terrible pp qb's, they both have no clue what they are doing back there. Stoll is better than both, since he is at least quick and decisive with the puck, yes his shots suck, but at least he gets his shots off quickly and once in a million shots something happens.

Richards and Voynov should be playing point with the pp being run through Richards. 1 of Clifford/Fraser/someone who can actually screen the goalie should be infront of the net and Kopitar and Brown should float around, moving into the slot/down low/wherever just moving around
At this point, I'd prefer Sutter just keep rolling four lines, power play or no.

agentfouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie to Brownie View Post
Am I going to Hell for laughing at this?
Nope, just trying to bring some laughs to a pretty **** up thread.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:52 AM
sjmay*

LOL Back again,

But maybe I was distracted at work while watching the game yesterday, but I remember Sanford making some beauty glove saves that robbed LA of some goals...

The game before, they generated some great chances...

I don't think the problem is in generating offense, like I said, people get confused about generating offense, and finishing. It could very well be that the Kings are shooting, at the net. It's hard to describe, it's like their thought process is stopping at the "getting the puck on net" point, and not actually looking for the holes there...

If that makes sense...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:08 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Folks who enjoy replying to a lot of posts (sjmay & Co...)

Click on "multi" for each post you want to reply to, then click on quote. You'll get all of the posts quoted you want to reply to in one neat, tidy response.

Keeps the spam perception tolerable and saves us the work of having to go back and merge posts.

Gracias.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:10 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Folks who enjoy replying to a lot of posts (sjmay & Co...)

Click on "multi" for each post you want to reply to, then click on quote. You'll get all of the posts quoted you want to reply to in one neat, tidy response.

Keeps the spam perception tolerable and saves us the work of having to go back and merge posts.

Gracias.
Never knew that, I will try to keep that in mind....

Old
01-08-2012, 12:20 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
As long as *****ing is the mood now, I really don't understand closing the game threads so fast...the last two games I got a vBulletin message saying the thread is closed AFTER composing my post.

There really is no reason, because vBulletin can handle the heavy (joke) load that the thread is getting. This isn't 1995, guys.
There are several reasons, actually.

1. The main GDT posts are real-time during the game. Postgame no one is interested in trudging through several hundred "Kopi!!!!" or "aw ****" posts to get to commentary about the game.

2. In game commentary is vastly different in style and substance to post-game commentary. Before we had PGT's, it took a while to search one thread to figure out when the in-game commentary ended and the post-game commentary began.

3. A lot of the posts in the GDT are normally considered spam that we let go because it's during the game. We do far more thread cleanup in the PGT to make it easier for people to read that we don't do in the GDT due to the sheer volume of posts coming in at once.

4. You can click on the red "PGT" (or GDT, OT, Kings News, etc. - any thread identifier) link and get a search result of every PGT thread created. It makes it a breeze to see post-game commentary of every prior game. It's the only form of search on this site that presently works properly.

5. Even though search has been broken for ages on this site, when it IS working, vBulletin slows down significantly when it has to search large threads. That's why we close posts that hit 1,000 replies. This may not be 1995, but databases have the same issues when having to search large amounts of information. The way the site is indexed is optimized for #'s of threads, not #s of posts within threads. The site also keeps years of historical posts. We feel that doing these things to keep the site speedy instead of pruning threads is preferred. There's a lot of value in digging up several-year old threads.

6. Google search for hfboards threads is far easier when you can filter by PGT's.

7. We go to great lengths to start up PGT threads immediately after the game ends for people like yourself who want to post commentary quickly. Just wait a minute or two after the final horn and the thread will be up.

Last edited by TonySCV: 01-08-2012 at 12:27 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
LOL Back again,

But maybe I was distracted at work while watching the game yesterday, but I remember Sanford making some beauty glove saves that robbed LA of some goals...

The game before, they generated some great chances...
Glove saves just look better than they were, those were routine saves. The Kings should be shooting at the blocker side for rebounds. Unscreened glove shots are worthless, unless you have a shot mentality and needs shots on net.

Quote:
I don't think the problem is in generating offense, like I said, people get confused about generating offense, and finishing. It could very well be that the Kings are shooting, at the net. It's hard to describe, it's like their thought process is stopping at the "getting the puck on net" point, and not actually looking for the holes there...

If that makes sense...
That would be the shot mentality. Get it on net, don't worry about placement and don't worry about where you are taking them from. The Kings are up to 11th in shots per game and 8th in shots against. The Kings are 7th in shot differential, right up there with the top teams.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Glove saves just look better than they were, those were routine saves. The Kings should be shooting at the blocker side for rebounds. Unscreened glove shots are worthless, unless you have a shot mentality and needs shots on net.

That would be the shot mentality. Get it on net, don't worry about placement and don't worry about where you are taking them from. The Kings are up to 11th in shots per game and 8th in shots against. The Kings are 7th in shot differential, right up there with the top teams.
Yet they're by far the worst shooting team percentage-wise. Shot mentality baby!

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:39 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Sanford made some great saves and (surprise) no Kings could finish.
Sanford made no great saves, he didn't need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
To be fair, most of the people who didn't want us to do that for Gaborik (and this wasn't many people or so it seems like) wanted Dean to do that for Nash or Kovalchuk. Or as an alternative, they wanted Hossa, but Hossa had no desire to play in LA whatsoever because we were miles away from the Cup. Dean traded for Smyth anyway and we were happy about it until he started playing like **** last season. Nash signed an extension and didn't hit the market. Then the next summer, those same people said they didn't want Kovalchuk because he would cost too much, and would rather have B. Richards the next year. We didn't sign a forward in that long summer of 2010. The next season finished, and we didn't get B. Richards, and people were saying that we shouldn't because it would cost too much, so it was good we didn't get him. That time we actually got someone in Gagne who everyone wound up being happy with until he started playing like crap and he'll probably miss the rest of the season. Now those same people are saying we should get Parise. He will want 8 million and everyone will say we should shoot for Iginla and not waste our time with Parise. Regardless of what people say, he won't be signed anyway. As long as we have a GM who won't dole out an overpayment anyway.

Do you see how this goes?

It is frustrating as all get out. There is never a price for a free agent that is going to appease everybody, but the situation we're in where we haven't drafted enough quality players, we need to get one to be successful. That's why people get pissed off and that's really why we have these discussions to this day.

And given that we have nobody in Manchester even remotely worth giving a call to, everyone's freaking out over those failures in free agency and rightly so. This team should be in position to make the call and choose between 2 or 3 players to give a chance to, but everyone knows nobody down there is good enough, so the next thing to get mad over is...why don't we have Gaborik, insert free agent here, etc.
This is very true, but the problem is that we can't get these guys to sign, whether we rationalize it after the fact or not. I'd bet that even of you threw 8 million at Parise he wouldn't come. This is why Dean ends up giving 7 mil to Kopitar & Doughty in the hopes that they will produce like they're worth it, because he knows he can't get the UFAs at any price. No Pacific Division team can. Ever. The re-alignment might have helped a little with that, but of course that's in the crapper now too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Middle tier talent is what the Kings can get in free agency, and they have to overpay to get it.
Very true.

Did anyone else catch on Kings talk after the game yesterday where Nick was basically calling into question Lombardi's philosophy? He basically said that it used to be that a great defensive team was a lock for the playoffs, but now you have to have a top offense to have any success. Seems pretty obvious to most of us, but it was an blatant call out to the current mantra of "defense wins championships" being touted by Lombardi.

I've been behind Lombardi since he got here, and I'm ok with having a team that prides itself on defense, but they have to be able to score SOME goals. If the only way your team can score a goal is if Mike Richards gets a shorthander, you're not going to win many games.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:03 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Sanford made no great saves, he didn't need to.

I don't know,

I would classify his save on Clifford at 352 in the 2nd, a pretty great save,

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...2,601&fr=false

Same as the save on Fraser at 0921 in the 3rd, right in the slot...

Sanford played well..

Old
01-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I don't know,

I would classify his save on Clifford at 352 in the 2nd, a pretty great save,

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...2,601&fr=false

Same as the save on Fraser at 0921 in the 3rd, right in the slot...

Sanford played well..
Yea Sanford squared up nice on Frasers but seriously. You gotta bury that. You're in the highest scoring area in the ice untouched. He's gotta do more with that. Those opportunities don't happen all the time.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Yea Sanford squared up nice on Frasers but seriously. You gotta bury that. You're in the highest scoring area in the ice untouched. He's gotta do more with that. Those opportunities don't happen all the time.
Fraser buried it...right into Sanford's chest. If there was no goalie there, it would have hit the middle post in the back of the net...which isn't exactly the best spot to be shooting when you're starting at the net straight on.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:36 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Yep, but again, this is Fraser, not Kopitar lol, so meh,

Old
01-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Yep, but again, this is Fraser, not Kopitar lol, so meh,
You might want to pick someone else. Kopitar hits goalis right in the chest too.