HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Stralman good?

Old
01-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoeticgoblin View Post
Being a Swede, so I'm obviously biased, but there is not a single person in the world that can tell me that Woywitka, Eminger or Bickel are better players than Anton Stralman. He was rusty as hell when he got here, earned his minutes later on and yes, a lot of them were because of injuries, but he's done darn good lately and deserves his spot. + We have yet to see him be in full shape! He missed out on near half a season in the NHL, nobody (except Crosby) can be out for that long and return like it was nothing.

When Stralsie is in full shape, he's a great offensive defenseman and I'd like to argue that Torts/Our way of playing has already begun to mould Strålman into a more reliable defensive D-man as well. He should be in the starting 6 until he PLAYS himself out of the lineup! (Which he has not done yet!)

#TeamStralsie
I think Emminger is better and more reliable, but I agree with you about Woywitka and Bickel.

Stralman is a real nice skater who can move the puck, but hasn't really shown much in the offensive zone, and his positioning defensively and ability to physically battle guys along the boards isn't great

But he's done a pretty good job overall. The Rangers have managed to create a system where defensemen can step in work comfortably within their own abilities and be a benefit to the team.

I think Del Zotto is better defensively and does manage to contribute more offensively, so I'd like the Rangers to find a way to keep him in the top four over Stralman when Staal works his way back up, but Stralman on the third pairing with someone like Erixon might not be bad in the future

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:38 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
He has been better than I anticipated. Still, I'll take Eminger over Stralman.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

I don't think Eminger ever have had the minutes that Stralman is logging right now, and it's for a reason imo. It's not a coincidence that Stralman and MDZ has the best +/- among our defencemen. Not because they are the best in their own zone, but because they are the best puck movers and their line is able to produce. And that is what we lack when having
Staal-Girardi
MCD-Saur
MDZ
as our top 5. That's why I think he should stay in the line-up and keep Eminger as 7th. And he's still getting better by every game as he's adjusting to the system. I'm real surprised over how well he has done this far. Some more goals and he'll be a real asset to this team.

Sticky Fingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:57 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He has been better than I anticipated. Still, I'll take Eminger over Stralman.
No .

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:57 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Eminger, while I love him, does not give us what Stralman does.

Old
01-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I think he's better defensively, Stralman still makes me nervous in that regard

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Dorado*

Eminger runs around and hits and usually spends the other half of the time falling down ..... Stralman may be less physical but is a much better hockey player who can skate or pass significantly better than Eminger

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Dorado*

Where AS needs help is being able to step up into the neutral zone and pinch and if not able o play the puck play the man .Why that guy who is a slightly above average skater and passer with good offensive instinct is not in the gym trying to put 10 lbs of lean muscle on his frame Is beyond me . Saw him in 24/7 did not look exactly ripped around the core area or big in the upper body . He is tall and skinny but you'd think a guy who is a fringe NHL er wouldnt try and get a strength and cOnditioning guy and a dietician to get him to next level . I suppose life in Sweden is good though and getting by in the SEL making a decent living is en

Old
01-08-2012, 04:14 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah, but we have enough defense. We need puck moving. Gotta sacrifice defense for puck moving.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Dorado*

MDZ and AS pass the puck back and forth to each other and move it up the ice nicely . I think MDZ is hard enough on the puck separate the man from the puck well now and Stralman skates it out of trouble nicely lately . Our best defenseman is still Henke

Old
01-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Maybe you have to get used to Stralman in our defensive line-up. I am getting nervous when Woywitka is playing, Stralman is very reliable defensively

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Emptyvoid

Stralman is a better skater, has better hands and simply more talent than Woywitka. The coaching staff has been to have him put in the effort on defense and to me it has shown. He, I feel, is better than Jeff on defense and far better at moving the puck.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:11 AM
DM Smiths
Rookie User

He won't be an NHL mainstay at all

DM Smiths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:04 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM Smiths View Post
I wouldn't say that for sure at this point, but you could end up right of course.

In the broad picture, and with the purpose of analysing Anton Strålmans game, I think you can split a D's game into 3 parts; i) defense, ii) moving the puck up ice, and iii) offense from the attacking blueline and in.

On i) I think he has done a good job given my expectations on him. This is the first time the kid is playing in a half-decent environment and so far he has done a good job and, as people has covered above, he should be able to improve too by adding some muscle (for christ sake).

On ii) I think he has done a good job. This is why he is still playing, and his and MDZ's job with moving the puck up ice has definitely helped AA-Step-Gabby alot. That line is getting some good passes to work with, and you cannot underrated that importance of that (Gabby struggled last season when MDZ struggled, to a extent that is not a coincidence. I posted about that last season too. MDZ and Gabby had great chemistry MDZ rookie season).

And bank on that MDZ and Strålman will become better and better at this the more they play together. You cannot have enough chemistry on a D-pairing, and in this perspective, these guys have basically never seen each other before.

On iii), this is what could kill his NHL dream. As a offensive D in the game today, you have room in the attacking zone. These guys can be a constant threat. Look at Erik Karlsson in Ottawa, he is what a 6-7 pts behind Giroux, Sedins and Kessel in scoring, and ranked top 15, and there is a ton of D's on pace for 40+ pts. And while we have some D's who get pts of passes up ice -- we are definitely near the bottom in the league when it comes to D's making a quality play in the attacking zone and creating a goal with it.

Like AS gets some shots through (while many misses the net) and so on. But it is not much. If a forward comes at him when he got the puck at the blueline, it would be worth so much to us and for his value for us, if he could just step around him once in a while to open things up.

And when I think back of the 18-21 y/o Strålman I saw in Sweden, there is no reason for why he should have that ability today in the NHL. But he was screwed over when he turned pro. Kind of like Bobby Sanguinetti. Go back and read everything said about Sanguinetti the first 24 months after getting drafted. It was all defense, defense, defense and then some more talk about how he needed to learn to play defense. This was a offensiveminded D, who never even remotely hinted that he had any offense in him once he got a sniff in NY. Like a ton of offensive skill but very little offensive game.

If Strålman is going to stay in the NY for the long future, I think we need to see more plays were like Strålman fake's a slapper, gets a forward go down to block a shot, and then Strålman steps around him and creates opening and a goal. Where we afterwards can say that like that goal was 100% scored by Strålman. Its not much to ask for from a offensive D in the NHL these days. It feels like Erik Karlsson has made 30 plays like that this season that has resulted in a goal and probably another 60 that came close to a goal. MDZ has 1 that I can think of (and I would guess at like 4-5 all season) and Strålman like zero.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:22 AM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
yes and stralman, while you love him, does not give us what eminger does

SomE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:31 AM
thepoeticgoblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I wouldn't say that for sure at this point, but you could end up right of course.

In the broad picture, and with the purpose of analysing Anton Strålmans game, I think you can split a D's game into 3 parts; i) defense, ii) moving the puck up ice, and iii) offense from the attacking blueline and in.

On i) I think he has done a good job given my expectations on him. This is the first time the kid is playing in a half-decent environment and so far he has done a good job and, as people has covered above, he should be able to improve too by adding some muscle (for christ sake).

On ii) I think he has done a good job. This is why he is still playing, and his and MDZ's job with moving the puck up ice has definitely helped AA-Step-Gabby alot. That line is getting some good passes to work with, and you cannot underrated that importance of that (Gabby struggled last season when MDZ struggled, to a extent that is not a coincidence. I posted about that last season too. MDZ and Gabby had great chemistry MDZ rookie season).

And bank on that MDZ and Strålman will become better and better at this the more they play together. You cannot have enough chemistry on a D-pairing, and in this perspective, these guys have basically never seen each other before.

On iii), this is what could kill his NHL dream. As a offensive D in the game today, you have room in the attacking zone. These guys can be a constant threat. Look at Erik Karlsson in Ottawa, he is what a 6-7 pts behind Giroux, Sedins and Kessel in scoring, and ranked top 15, and there is a ton of D's on pace for 40+ pts. And while we have some D's who get pts of passes up ice -- we are definitely near the bottom in the league when it comes to D's making a quality play in the attacking zone and creating a goal with it.

Like AS gets some shots through (while many misses the net) and so on. But it is not much. If a forward comes at him when he got the puck at the blueline, it would be worth so much to us and for his value for us, if he could just step around him once in a while to open things up.

And when I think back of the 18-21 y/o Strålman I saw in Sweden, there is no reason for why he should have that ability today in the NHL. But he was screwed over when he turned pro. Kind of like Bobby Sanguinetti. Go back and read everything said about Sanguinetti the first 24 months after getting drafted. It was all defense, defense, defense and then some more talk about how he needed to learn to play defense. This was a offensiveminded D, who never even remotely hinted that he had any offense in him once he got a sniff in NY. Like a ton of offensive skill but very little offensive game.

If Strålman is going to stay in the NY for the long future, I think we need to see more plays were like Strålman fake's a slapper, gets a forward go down to block a shot, and then Strålman steps around him and creates opening and a goal. Where we afterwards can say that like that goal was 100% scored by Strålman. Its not much to ask for from a offensive D in the NHL these days. It feels like Erik Karlsson has made 30 plays like that this season that has resulted in a goal and probably another 60 that came close to a goal. MDZ has 1 that I can think of (and I would guess at like 4-5 all season) and Strålman like zero.
Your post are very thorough, and I agree that Stralsie were supposed to do the numbers Erik Karlsson are doing today, somewhere along the way he lost his offensive mojo (although, still a greater threat offensively than all of our D-men except MDZ) and that's due to CBJ being crap. Still, Erik K is so overrated I worry for his future. He's always been sloppy with the puck and previous seasons he had massive turnover #'s etc. I'm not saying Strålman is better, he's not, but he's got potential to become even better as a hockey player. Torts has ALREADY raised his defensive plays, just give Anton this season and you might see him deliver a 10 G + 25 A next year, he has got another level in him, and this is coming from one whom watched AS since he was a little brat in Skovde!

Pro-Eminger guys, I respect your opinion, I honestly do. But please explain what Eminger offers that AS can't? Hits and penalties? I've never liked Eminger, but maybe I'm missing some of his qualities?

All in all, we have great depth on our blueline!

thepoeticgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:07 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I seriously hope this is a troll attempt.
No, he is not good. He's a 6/7/AHL fodder dman that's playing sheltered minutes. In that role and that role alone he can be serviceable. If he plays anything more that 12-14 minutes against weaker competition, he's going to be exposed. When Staal and Sauer are healthy, he is gone.
Orrrr maybe he just doesnt know a lot about stralmans game and has seen him making some nice plays but wanted the informed opinion of posters which is why he asked? Are posters not allowed to ask if they are unsure now? Stralman has made a lot of good good plays. I've really enjoyed the surprise of having him be decent for us. Same with bickel. Decent.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:37 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
yes and stralman, while you love him, does not give us what eminger does
...except 5 other players we have on defense do, so wo gives a ****? Only MDZ gives what Stralman does. Way to completely miss the point.

Old
01-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Dorado*

Last few games Stralsy been up around 20-22 min

Old
01-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Rust Heisenberg

The only reason I think Stralman looks overwhelmed sometimes is because of the position he is put in.

1st year, playing 20-22 min a game, different style of play than SEL, on a very competitive team is a lot to ask.

What he has been giving us for what he was signed to give is ridiculously underrated by many on this board.

I think if and when Sauer comes back, a 3rd line pairing of MDZ and Stralman would be immensely beneficial. As others have said they are our best puck moving defensemen, something which we are in need of. Right now Stralman is being counted as being a part of our 2nd shut down pairing, but as a member of the 3rd pairing I think a lot more pressure will come off of him defensively.

What I'm most interested to see is, when Sauer and Eminger are both ready to play, who Torts puts on that 3rd line. I think Stralman has something Eminger can't offer (in his offensive ability) while maintaining a decent amount, if not just as much, of a defensive capability that Eminger offers. He's able to log more minutes, keep down his amount of boneheaded plays (something that Eminger struggles with at times), and help out in the offensive zone more.

Rust Heisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
The only reason I think Stralman looks overwhelmed sometimes is because of the position he is put in.

1st year, playing 20-22 min a game, different style of play than SEL, on a very competitive team is a lot to ask.

What he has been giving us for what he was signed to give is ridiculously underrated by many on this board.

I think if and when Sauer comes back, a 3rd line pairing of MDZ and Stralman would be immensely beneficial. As others have said they are our best puck moving defensemen, something which we are in need of. Right now Stralman is being counted as being a part of our 2nd shut down pairing, but as a member of the 3rd pairing I think a lot more pressure will come off of him defensively.

What I'm most interested to see is, when Sauer and Eminger are both ready to play, who Torts puts on that 3rd line. I think Stralman has something Eminger can't offer (in his offensive ability) while maintaining a decent amount, if not just as much, of a defensive capability that Eminger offers. He's able to log more minutes, keep down his amount of boneheaded plays (something that Eminger struggles with at times), and help out in the offensive zone more.
1st year? He hasn't played in the SEL since the 06-07 season. Previous teams include Toronto Maple Leafs, Marlies and last season Columbus Blue Jackets. In the 09/10 season he put up 34 points in 73 games.

Jim Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
1st year? He hasn't played in the SEL since the 06-07 season. Previous teams include Toronto Maple Leafs, Marlies and last season Columbus Blue Jackets. In the 09/10 season he put up 34 points in 73 games.
Oops, never mind then.

Rust Heisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:24 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Hmmm, I think a lot of posters mistake physical play in the own zone with overall defensive play. While there is going to be no argument that Eminger is more physical defenseman, so far Stralman defensive zone play has been at least on par with Eminger and as many pointed out above - playing more minutes against higher caliber competition.

kovazub94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM Smiths View Post
Huh? He's got 228 NHL games under his belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
THAT, I agree with. I was hoping for Gilroy 2.0.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Sticky Fingers
NYR

As long as you don't play a physical game you won't get a lot of love around here.

Sticky Fingers is online now   Reply With Quote