HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Henrik Lundqvist, League MVP?

Old
01-08-2012, 02:53 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 500
Henrik Lundqvist, League MVP?

Is there any team that falls farther from grace when they take their best player off their roster other than the Rangers? The Rangers are the best team in the league, take Henrik off the team and we're a 6th seed TOPS. Our defense is great, but it's also young and statistically inflated because of Henrik. Earlier in the season I picked Danny G as a team MVP just because he exceeded all expectations, but my God Henrik as of right now has shattered my previously astronomically high expectations! I know a lot of us like to think that this team doesn't depend on Henrik as much as they used to, which is KIND OF true just because we have more talent, but take away Henrik and the whole house of cards falls apart, no disrespect to Marty.

Even the main board agrees Lundqvist is a very serious contender for league MVP. Forget about Vezina. Thomas is great but nowhere near as valuable to the B's as Lundqvist is the Rangers. If all things remain the same to the end of the season, Lundqvist takes the Vezina and can even snag MVP.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:58 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

The most valuable player doesn't win MVP, especially if they're a goalie. It'll go to the winner of either the Art Ross or the Richard.

Not saying it's right, but that's the way it is.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:05 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
The most valuable player doesn't win MVP, especially if they're a goalie. It'll go to the winner of either the Art Ross or the Richard.

Not saying it's right, but that's the way it is.
The Hart has been awarded to six goalies for a total of seven awards in the history of the league. The most recent being Hasek, who actually won it twice in consecutive years in 1996-1997 and 1997-1998. I don't think it's out of the question that post lock out that this could happen again.

Edit: Informed by Petemo, Jose Theodore also won the Hart in 2002.

Last edited by KingWantsCup: 01-08-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old
01-08-2012, 03:12 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
The Hart has been awarded to six goalies for a total of seven awards in the history of the league. The most recent being Hasek, who actually won it twice in consecutive years in 1996-1997 and 1997-1998. I don't think it's out of the question that post lock out that this could happen again.
Yeah, I know it's happened, but there's no way Hank wins it. Even with the massive ***** everybody had over Tim Thomas last year, Perry still won the Hart.

Old
01-08-2012, 03:17 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Yeah, I know it's happened, but there's no way Hank wins it. Even with the massive ***** everybody had over Tim Thomas last year, Perry still won the Hart.
Everybody got that ***** after the playoffs. () Thomas put in a good season, but he still had a ridiculous defense in front of him with a good offense. This year the B's are even better. Can you imagine Lundqvist on the Bruins? I kid you not he could have a save percentage north of .950.

Old
01-08-2012, 03:18 PM
OverTheCap

Would love to see him win it but I don't think it's gonna happen. When Theodore won the Hart Trophy, the Canadiens had no 30 goal scorers and only 3 players with 20+ goals. Right now, Gaborik is projected to score 48 goals with Richards on pace for a 32 goal season. Hank has more offensive support than Theodore or Hasek had when they won the Hart (which bodes well for us come playoff time but no so much for Hank's chance to win the Hart).

That being said, even though our team is more complete than it has been, Lundqvist is still the backbone of this team. The wins against Vancouver, Philly, Pitt, NJ, etc. don't happen without Hank.

It's really such a pleasure to watch Lundqvist night in and night out. We are in the midst of witnessing a great career.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:19 PM
Crease

This is arguably the best defense corps Hank has had in front of him. Doesn't take away from the great season he's having but IMO, he was more Hart-worthy in previous seasons.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

If pure logic was used, the Vezina winner would almost always win the Hart. But more often than not, it's scoring.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Rangerfans

If any goalie has a chance at the Hart it is Quick.

His team reminds me of Ranger teams of the passed....can't score worth a damn.

With 6 so, and STILL in the hunt in the playoffs with - by far - the least gf in the league, I would give him a nod (if I had to give a goalie it...at this point of the season).

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:28 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
as we all know, goaltenders RARELY win the HART trophy. At this point of the season, who stands out to us as MVP's other than Lundqvist? Its hard because people will look at us as bias because we are all Rangers fans, but lets be real, take him out of the equation hypothetically or with an injury, and this teams falls as fast out of the playoff race as the penguins are. No one stands out as most valuable to their team than Lundqvist. He has a young defense in front of him and an offense that, on paper, would look decent. We can compare numbers like Lupul in Toronto or Stamkos in Tampa and so on but when it comes down to it, I think writers who vote for the Hart trophy may see eye to eye with us as the season wears on. Lundqvist is impenetrable some nights and as long as he plays consistently down the stretch and the rangers finish where they are now or close to it, not only will Lundqvist win the Hart, but he WILL win the Vezina which I think is as good as his this year.

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
This is arguably the best defense corps Hank has had in front of him. Doesn't take away from the great season he's having but IMO, he was more Hart-worthy in previous seasons.
say what?

havent had our #1 defenseman for 99% of the season till this point. havnet had Staal and Sauer in ANY games at the same time. Eminger has missed a ton of time.

we've had scrapheap parts playing a ton of ice time. this is NOT a good defense. our top 3 are outstanding, our bottom 3 are mediocre AT BEST defenseman sans Staals recent return.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
say what?

havent had our #1 defenseman for 99% of the season till this point. havnet had Staal and Sauer in ANY games at the same time. Eminger has missed a ton of time.

we've had scrapheap parts playing a ton of ice time. this is NOT a good defense. our top 3 are outstanding, our bottom 3 are mediocre AT BEST defenseman sans Staals recent return.
I should have phrased it a bit differently. This is the best team defense Hank has ever had. I think he's carried more weight on his shoulders in previous seasons.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:17 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

I was just thinking about this today. Name a big ticket offensive player that is having an MVP type season. Crosby's been hurt, Ovechkin has come back down to earth, though has been turning it up lately, the Sedins feed off of each other. Toews has been good, but has an unreal supporting cast. The only player I can see winning it is Malkin if he keeps up with his 90 point pace and the Penguins make the playoffs, despite missing Crosby, Letang, and now Neal for a long period of time.

Lundqvist IS putting up not only Vezina numbers, but Hart numbers. Before people come in and say "OMG, Thomas put up the same kind of numbers last year!", just remember Lundqvist doesn't have Chara on his team, and that he's been without Staal almost half a season and Sauer a good portion of it.

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:22 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
say what?

Agreed. Maybe if everyone gets healthy and Staal returns to form by the end of the season, it will be the best D corps Hank has had. But as of now, it hasn't been.

This year's defense has more issues clearing the puck than teams in past years. They get pinned in their own zone a lot, and Hank had had to bail the D out too frequently this past week due to defensive breakdowns. Also, they could afford to be stingier in giving up shots against. Still room for improvement IMO.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:33 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Everybody got that ***** after the playoffs. () Thomas put in a good season, but he still had a ridiculous defense in front of him with a good offense. This year the B's are even better. Can you imagine Lundqvist on the Bruins? I kid you not he could have a save percentage north of .950.
I'm not saying Thomas played better, I'm just saying that there was so much hype about his record setting season that if any goalie had a chance to win the Hart, it would have been him.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Hard to give him the MVP when our back up is 8-2 with a 2.00 gaa and sav% around .922

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:38 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

For some reason I came into this thread thinking Theodore was the only goalie to ever win a Hart. Forgot about Hasek, but yeah that guy dominated.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:05 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
Hard to give him the MVP when our back up is 8-2 with a 2.00 gaa and sav% around .922
Yup. Biron's stats are going to make it look like anyone can win behind this defense. Which is crazy when you actually look who has been playing defense for us this year. Only one trophy matters this year. Its not the Hart.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 1500
There's no way he will win it, nor do I think he should.

01-08-2012, 05:59 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Some flash in the pan forward with 90 or so points is going to win it this year.

Last edited by BlueshirtBlitz: 01-08-2012 at 06:16 PM.
BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 06:13 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
I was just thinking about this today. Name a big ticket offensive player that is having an MVP type season. Crosby's been hurt, Ovechkin has come back down to earth, though has been turning it up lately, the Sedins feed off of each other. Toews has been good, but has an unreal supporting cast. The only player I can see winning it is Malkin if he keeps up with his 90 point pace and the Penguins make the playoffs, despite missing Crosby, Letang, and now Neal for a long period of time.

Lundqvist IS putting up not only Vezina numbers, but Hart numbers. Before people come in and say "OMG, Thomas put up the same kind of numbers last year!", just remember Lundqvist doesn't have Chara on his team, and that he's been without Staal almost half a season and Sauer a good portion of it.
I would think Giroux would at least pipe up in the conversation.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 07:09 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

Henrik's a beast. He's always overlooked.... and he plays tons of games... more than other goalies...

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 07:41 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
There's no way he will win it, nor do I think he should.

Agree.

Giroux would be my pick if the season ended now.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Petemo

Quote:
What about José Théodore? Won the Hart in 2002.

Petemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:51 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petemo View Post
What about José Théodore? Won the Hart in 2002.
Wtf? What the hell happened to him? I wasn't watching hockey yet in 02'. I knew Hasek was a beast but had no clue about Jose EVER being even relevant.