HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings shot charts from the last 23 or so games

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-08-2012, 03:33 PM
  #26
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Murray's next 5 games:

Kings versus Sharks, 2 goals, 33 shots:




This is one sad example of a perimeter offense. It's some great shot mentality though.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:35 PM
  #27
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
And that is why I think it is the coaching more than the players. They don't take risks, i.e., pushing the play when the opponent doesn't give it to them. This is so that they can stay in their defensive posture and limit shots against.

I would say that most passes through the middle are cut off, but if you don't try, you will never generate those shots from the middle. It may take 20 passes to get those 4 or 5 high quality shots, but that is better than 20 shots from the outside. If you just take the easy shot from the outside, you just hurt your shooting percentage and inflate your shots for. That I believe is a coaching problem. It is just hard to break the habits of the past 4 seasons with Murray and Sutter thinks the system is just fine as is.
They simply but a higher price on defense, I am ok with that.

Doesn't mean you don't drive the net, and they can do that without high risk passes through the middle.

It would be interesting though if Sutter finally said, **** it, you guys, drive through the net, pass the damn puck, I don't care if we lose 10-0, and have 20 2-1's, do something offensively ffs...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:06 PM
  #28
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Here are the games where the Kings scored more than 2 regulation goals, I just wanted to see them together.

Kings versus Canucks:


Kings versus Coyotes
Labs was just terrible, this was an anomoly:


Kings versus Blues:


Kings versus Ducks:


Kings versus Wild:


Kings versus Predators:


Kings versus Stars:


Kings versus Blues:

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:10 PM
  #29
johnjm22
16,005
 
johnjm22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Barstow, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,689
vCash: 500
Team shooting percentages:

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:22 PM
  #30
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Here are the games where the Kings scored more than 2 regulation goals, I just wanted to see them together.

Kings versus Canucks:


Kings versus Coyotes
Labs was just terrible, this was an anomoly:


Kings versus Blues:


Kings versus Ducks:


Kings versus Wild:


Kings versus Predators:


Kings versus Stars:


Kings versus Blues:
I think you just proved that LA doesn't have to get the cluster of shots right in front to score more than 2 lol

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:24 PM
  #31
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
I think you just proved that LA doesn't have to get the cluster of shots right in front to score more than 2 lol
I'd say a 30th ranked offense proves the exact opposite buddy.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:27 PM
  #32
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
I'd say a 30th ranked offense proves the exact opposite buddy.
LOL thank you for proving my point that most people confuse generating offense with finishing offense.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:33 PM
  #33
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
A western conference team, the Sharks last 10 games:

Sharks versus Capitals, 5 goals,39 shots




Sharks versus Jackets, 2 goals, 39 shots




Sharks versus Ducks, 3 goals, 36 shots




Sharks versus Canucks, 2 goals, 35 shots




Sharks versus Canucks, 2 goals, 30 shots




Sharks versus Ducks, 2 goals, 38 shots




Sharks versus Kings, 1 goal, 35 shots




Sharks versus Lightning, 7 goals, 43 shots




Sharks versus Oilers, 3 goals, 37 shots




Sharks versus Avs, 5 goals, 34 shots




Sharks versus Avs, 3 goals, 30 shots


Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:36 PM
  #34
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
I think you just proved that LA doesn't have to get the cluster of shots right in front to score more than 2 lol
You're not looking close enough, the only game that was didn't have them was the Coyote game against Labs. The 2nd game against the Blue was another one (only 3 goals), but I remember some weak goals against in that game too.,

Which other game doesn't have several shots in the middle?

But 8 games out of 42 could be down to "luck and bounces".


Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
LOL thank you for proving my point that most people confuse generating offense with finishing offense.
8 games out of 42? And you think the Kings are generating offense?

It also took you 23 games to get 4 games where the Kings had some middle offense to compare with Philadelphia. This is the Murray shot mentality, hope and pray offense at work.


BTW, I don't expect the Canuck game every time, but that game is the anomaly, not the other 34 games where the Kings can't score more than 2 regulation goals. I just want more emphasis on the middle of the ice. No more shots from the perimeter to get shots.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:38 PM
  #35
nki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
LOL thank you for proving my point that most people confuse generating offense with finishing offense.
So you expect the Kings to finish from perimeter shots?

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:42 PM
  #36
TonySCV
Moderator
Push to the 8th Tee
 
TonySCV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,620
vCash: 500
Wow... this is certainly an eye-opening (and depressing) thread. Proof positive what the Kings primary problem scoring is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
I think you just proved that LA doesn't have to get the cluster of shots right in front to score more than 2 lol
I hope you realize that most of the conclusions you draw as a particular thread wears on make absolutely zero sense. People explain to you, repeatedly, why and you dismiss it and carry on making even more ridiculous assertions as you go.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:46 PM
  #37
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
You're not looking close enough, the only game that was didn't have them was the Coyote game against Labs. The 2nd game against the Blue was another one (only 3 goals), but I remember some weak goals against in that game too.,

Which other game doesn't have several shots in the middle?

But 8 games out of 42 could be down to "luck and bounces".




8 games out of 42? And you think the Kings are generating offense?

It also took you 23 games to get 4 games where the Kings had some middle offense to compare with Philadelphia. This is the Murray shot mentality, hope and pray offense at work.


BTW, I don't expect the Canuck game every time, but that game is the anomaly, not the other 34 games where the Kings can't score more than 2 regulation goals. I just want more emphasis on the middle of the ice. No more shots from the perimeter to get shots.
The Wild, the Preds are two games I would put in the, didn't get the majority of the shots from in front etc,

I was being facetious more than anything,

I guess we would have to define what we call a "good" game in regards to shot charts, ie, are 5 good shot chances a good game? 10? 15? etc?

I would think a minimum 10 shots every game, and they probably win those games with their defense to be honest.

Every game can't be the Canucks game, of course, but every game has to have a minimum 10 chances in that area I would be ok with that.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:47 PM
  #38
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I'm done for today. Wife is home.

What is another team that is good on paper but can't score? Maybe the Ducks? Anyone else we should look at? It's depressing to look at the good teams.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:47 PM
  #39
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
So you expect the Kings to finish from perimeter shots?
Nope, I expect them to generate offense.

What Sydor posted in the game shots where the Kings scored over 2 goals, it looked to me like quite a few of the games where the same shot charts when they scored UNDER 2 goals...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:48 PM
  #40
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I'm done for today. Wife is home.

What is another team that is good on paper but can't score? Maybe the Ducks? Anyone else we should look at? It's depressing to look at the good teams.
Off hand, Washington, it's the reason Boudreau got fired.....

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:49 PM
  #41
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
The Wild, the Preds are two games I would put in the, didn't get the majority of the shots from in front etc,

I was being facetious more than anything,

I guess we would have to define what we call a "good" game in regards to shot charts, ie, are 5 good shot chances a good game? 10? 15? etc?

I would think a minimum 10 shots every game, and they probably win those games with their defense to be honest.

Every game can't be the Canucks game, of course, but every game has to have a minimum 10 chances in that area I would be ok with that.
I see around 12 each in the Wild and predator games. That's above 10. And they won both.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:49 PM
  #42
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan
 
KingPurpleDinosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
I'm stupid.

I don't get how this thing works. So what color flags are we when we have home ice, are we black? And then the away team is always that blue flag?

If so, why is it on the Kings @ Ducks game, it was white and blue flags. Who's home/away in that one?

Also, this is a pretty nifty thing to look at. Where'd you get this from?

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:52 PM
  #43
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I see around 12 each in the Wild and predator games. That's above 10. And they won both.
LOL fair enough, I didn't sit there and count....I generalized.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:52 PM
  #44
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Nope, I expect them to generate offense.

What Sydor posted in the game shots where the Kings scored over 2 goals, it looked to me like quite a few of the games where the same shot charts when they scored UNDER 2 goals...
And that goes back to the "hope and pray" offense. Sometimes you do get lucky and get the "bounces".

More shots from the middle increase your luck and bounces.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:53 PM
  #45
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
I'm stupid.

I don't get how this thing works. So what color flags are we when we have home ice, are we black? And then the away team is always that blue flag?

If so, why is it on the Kings @ Ducks game, it was white and blue flags. Who's home/away in that one?

Also, this is a pretty nifty thing to look at. Where'd you get this from?
It's all Kings, or whomever Sydor posted,

One end is the 2nd period.....the blue flags have videos attached to them....

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:54 PM
  #46
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
And that goes back to the "hope and pray" offense. Sometimes you do get lucky and get the "bounces".

More shots from the middle increase your luck and bounces.
LOL which is what I was saying above,

I've agreed with you in this thread if you haven't noticed.....you might want to play the lottery tonight too...

But it comes down to the Kings either don't want to or won't do it, but we know they CAN do it, because we've seen it.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:56 PM
  #47
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
I'm stupid.

I don't get how this thing works. So what color flags are we when we have home ice, are we black? And then the away team is always that blue flag?

If so, why is it on the Kings @ Ducks game, it was white and blue flags. Who's home/away in that one?

Also, this is a pretty nifty thing to look at. Where'd you get this from?
All flags are shots and goals for only one team. One side is the 1st and 3rd period combined and the other side is the 2nd period. The home team is shown by the logo at center ice.

It's from the ice tracker at NHL.com.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:14 PM
  #48
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
 
alpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden and Slovenia
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,809
vCash: 500
............................

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:34 PM
  #49
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
And that is why I think it is the coaching more than the players. They don't take risks, i.e., pushing the play when the opponent doesn't give it to them. This is so that they can stay in their defensive posture and limit shots against.

I would say that most passes through the middle are cut off, but if you don't try, you will never generate those shots from the middle. It may take 20 passes to get those 4 or 5 high quality shots, but that is better than 20 shots from the outside. If you just take the easy shot from the outside, you just hurt your shooting percentage and inflate your shots for. That I believe is a coaching problem. It is just hard to break the habits of the past 4 seasons with Murray and Sutter thinks the system is just fine as is.
Just exactly correct. Perfectly said.

I want to say thank you to both of you guys for this debate and for taking the time to put up the shot tracking charts. I think they will go a long way with helping people understand what is happening and they are an excellent point of reference when things eventually change.

It is also interesting to see players who have made their livings going into the sticky places be so uncertain about how and when to do so. CLEARLY a case of players doing what they have been told to do for the most part and then the rest is due to the fact that they don't want to have to deal with the ramifications of being out of what they are being told is position.

Excellent thread.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:50 PM
  #50
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Sydor,

Because I am bored, and have 2 hours to kill, I am gonna go through the last 10 games based on CBS Sports game tracker, I find that one easier to look at than the NHL one, don't know how to post it, so it will be all text.

The house being a line drawn from the post, to the dot, across to the other dot, down to the other post, that's what everyone talks about when they talk about scoring chances per se, or high percentage shots. If it's on the line, or right near it, I counted it.

1-7-12 CBS 1 LA 0

CBS had 7 shots in the "house"
LA had 11 shots in the house

1-5-12 PHO 0 LA 1

PHO had 7 shots from the house
LA had 5 shots from the house

1-2-12 COL 2 LA 1

COL had 4 shots from the house
LA had 12 shots from the house

Dec 31st 2011 VAN 1 LA 4

Van had 13 shots from the house
LA had 18 shots from the house

Dec 29th, 2011 WPG 1 LA 0

WPG had 16 shots from the house
LA had 9 shots from the house

Dec 28th, 2011 CHI 0 LA 2

CHI had 13 shots from the house
LA had 12 shots from the house

Dec 26th, 2011 PHX 3 LA 4

PHX had 14 shots from the house
LA had 24 shots from the house

Dec 23rd 2011, SJ 2 LA 1

SJ had 14 shots from the house
LA had 9 shots from the house

Dec 22nd, 2011, ANA 2 LA 3

ANA had 4 shots from the house
LA had 12 shots from the house

Dec 19th, 2011 TOR 2 LA 3

TOR had 16 shots from the house
LA had 13 shots from the house,

So, in 10 games, LA had an average of 12.5 shots from the house.

In contrast, I will take Boston, highest scoring in the league not sure if the games will be 10 or not,

Dec 19th, 2011 MTL 2 BOS 3

MTL had 10 shots from the house
BOS had 9 shots from the house

Dec 23rd, 2011 FLA 0 BOS 8

FLA had 9 shots from the house
BOS had 11 shots from the house

Dec 28th, 2011 PHX 1 BOS 2

PHX had 14 shots from the house
BOS had 12 shots from the house

Dec 31st, 2011 DAL 2 BOS 4

DAL had 19 shots from the house
BOS had 11 shots from the house

Jan 4th, 2012 NJ 1 BOS 6

NJ had 5 shots from the house
BOS had 8 shots from the house

Jan 5th, 2012, CGY 0 BOS 9

CGY had 10 shots from the house
BOS had 30 shots from the house

Jan 7th, 2011 VAN 4 BOS 3

VAN had 17 shots from the house
BOS had 24 shots from the house

The past two games, BOS really seemed to suck it up and drive to the middle.

BOS averaged 15 shots from the house....in 7 games. Kings averaged 12 shots, in 10 games.

I was wrong, 10 isn't the minimum, it's easily 15 shots per game, from the house, if you don't have that, your will more than likely lose.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.