HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gazette Article on Protest

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Price My Man Crush

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I would say before this most Montreal anglophones who speak French (let's be honest, we all speak French in MTL...except Cunney) were actually in Quebec's corner most of the time. We love our city, we love our tradition and we love our Habs (it's tough love, sure). This whole debacle has created more divisiveness than I've personally experienced between the two cultures. I was only 11 during the last referendum and I remember it causing a lot of problems and I couldn't quite grasp the issues. Living in Ontario, I've been exposed to how ignorant people are outside of Quebec about Quebec, about French as a language and generally the sentiment was F Quebec. Being from Montreal, I always defended it, saying "how would you feel if the rest of your country was against you and counter to your culture". I was being an apologist for the sentiment that not enough people in Canada learn French or even care. It was be thinking that we should be united and that idiots like Cherry who bash "frenchies" should be fired. Those things enraged me even though my cultural background is not French (and let's be honest, we mean Québecois).

Then there's THIS and I'm again confused about who I am wrt to this province, this country. It is f'in sad when I realize that Toronto embraces immigrant cultures (not to mention Vancouver and Ottawa) and that we're not even talking about that. We're talking about a dude who doesn't speak French, but who is trying to dig the Habs out of a hole. RDS is a franco paradise. Everything Habs-related is French. There is every effort to appease and celebrate the French tradition. I have embraced that and personally I prefer to watch the games in French, it just feels more special to me (FTR, I think Pierre Houde and Marc Denis are class acts who never try to push an agenda unlike their colleagues). Now it just disgusts me and for the first time I realize that this entire country is full of idiots. Of course they're small minority groups, but while I regale in watching the mess that is US politics, I realize we are just as F'd as them when it comes to this issue.

I'm angered when my friends in Ontario say derisive things about the French and Quebec. I'm so happy when I meet a fellow Quebecois who I can speak French to. And now, I'm just disgusted by the notion that on this board some people are saying stuff like Anglos have it easy in Quebec, don't contribute, don't help society and they aren't really part of Quebec's fabric. It's total BS. I always speak French when I go home, even though it gets rusty when I don't use it for awhile. I celebrate the uniqueness of Montreal, what a great city I come from. And then...this. Puke in my mouth. We are no better than a bible belt evangelical state, rife with people who can't think for themselves and who are fooled by masters of deception to create this scenario. This whole incident has done one thing for them - strengthened their base of total dimwits who blatantly follow a false narrative and who vote against their best interests. I'm starting to understand (again) why the rest of Canada thinks Quebecers are a spoilt entitled group of whiny brats. And really, it's not even the case. It's the select few who ruin it for everyone, on both sides. We really need a leader to galvanize the two sides, to foster mutual respect, to make everyone aware of their differences, but truly appreciate them. There are so many French colonies where the locals don't act like jackasses wrt their modified French culture (this isn't France, in case people forget).

This is just another episode from the book of "both sides have idiots" in this country. I'm from Montreal, I speak French. I'm proud. I'm not even CULTURALLY "english" (in fact, they've done far more harm to my ancestral country than anyone throughout history). I think my culture is Montreal. And that's French and English and these protesters can just suck it. I'm a Habs fan, a real one and THAT's what counts.
I love you buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Events like this make me happy I moved out of Quebec and sad to be a Quebecer. It's another instance of how these people revel in their ignorance and how Molson will eventually enable them instead of focusing on what the Canadiems main goal is; winning.

If the Habs hire Francophones to appease the separatists rather than winning, I may have to find a new team to root for. I'm a hockey fan, not a Quebec history fan!
Where are you living now? Are you still in Canada?

Old
01-08-2012, 04:05 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
I love you buddy.

Where are you living now? Are you still in Canada?
I live in Toronto now.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

I'm a separatist and I'm against the protest. We shouldn't mix politics with sports.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRetina View Post
When the French signed the document back in 1867 the soil the in which you stand on became part of Canada. Quebec can seperate all they want, but you won't have health care, have to create a new currency, pay a tax for being on Canadian soil, and restrict yourself to 1 trading partner.

The fact that if I put up an English sign and can be fined for doing so is facist and discrimination. Speak French all you want I don't care but keep your sniveling ******** out of sport.
This is ignorance at best.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
I would say before this most Montreal anglophones who speak French (let's be honest, we all speak French in MTL...except Cunney) were actually in Quebec's corner most of the time. We love our city, we love our tradition and we love our Habs (it's tough love, sure). This whole debacle has created more divisiveness than I've personally experienced between the two cultures. I was only 11 during the last referendum and I remember it causing a lot of problems and I couldn't quite grasp the issues. Living in Ontario, I've been exposed to how ignorant people are outside of Quebec about Quebec, about French as a language and generally the sentiment was F Quebec. Being from Montreal, I always defended it, saying "how would you feel if the rest of your country was against you and counter to your culture". I was being an apologist for the sentiment that not enough people in Canada learn French or even care. It was be thinking that we should be united and that idiots like Cherry who bash "frenchies" should be fired. Those things enraged me even though my cultural background is not French (and let's be honest, we mean Québecois).

Then there's THIS and I'm again confused about who I am wrt to this province, this country. It is f'in sad when I realize that Toronto embraces immigrant cultures (not to mention Vancouver and Ottawa) and that we're not even talking about that. We're talking about a dude who doesn't speak French, but who is trying to dig the Habs out of a hole. RDS is a franco paradise. Everything Habs-related is French. There is every effort to appease and celebrate the French tradition. I have embraced that and personally I prefer to watch the games in French, it just feels more special to me (FTR, I think Pierre Houde and Marc Denis are class acts who never try to push an agenda unlike their colleagues). Now it just disgusts me and for the first time I realize that this entire country is full of idiots. Of course they're small minority groups, but while I regale in watching the mess that is US politics, I realize we are just as F'd as them when it comes to this issue.

I'm angered when my friends in Ontario say derisive things about the French and Quebec. I'm so happy when I meet a fellow Quebecois who I can speak French to. And now, I'm just disgusted by the notion that on this board some people are saying stuff like Anglos have it easy in Quebec, don't contribute, don't help society and they aren't really part of Quebec's fabric. It's total BS. I always speak French when I go home, even though it gets rusty when I don't use it for awhile. I celebrate the uniqueness of Montreal, what a great city I come from. And then...this. Puke in my mouth. We are no better than a bible belt evangelical state, rife with people who can't think for themselves and who are fooled by masters of deception to create this scenario. This whole incident has done one thing for them - strengthened their base of total dimwits who blatantly follow a false narrative and who vote against their best interests. I'm starting to understand (again) why the rest of Canada thinks Quebecers are a spoilt entitled group of whiny brats. And really, it's not even the case. It's the select few who ruin it for everyone, on both sides. We really need a leader to galvanize the two sides, to foster mutual respect, to make everyone aware of their differences, but truly appreciate them. There are so many French colonies where the locals don't act like jackasses wrt their modified French culture (this isn't France, in case people forget).

This is just another episode from the book of "both sides have idiots" in this country. I'm from Montreal, I speak French. I'm proud. I'm not even CULTURALLY "english" (in fact, they've done far more harm to my ancestral country than anyone throughout history). I think my culture is Montreal. And that's French and English and these protesters can just suck it. I'm a Habs fan, a real one and THAT's what counts.
Here here!

Old
01-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

****ing embarrass

Why do people make the effort to be stupid in today's world?

Last edited by Myron Gaines*: 01-08-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old
01-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Et le But

Rant time..I say this as a mostly unilingual outsider perspective, as in an American who lived in Montreal and am still close to the city, so forgive my naivety, but it's based on my experiences around Quebec and from francophone and bilingual friends.

First of all, as said before the Habs are first a representative of Montreal. This is part of Quebec, but like all major urban centres, there's always going to be a lot of cultural divisions between Montreal and the rest of the province. This isn't unique, ask people in rural Ontario what they think of Toronto or anyone in the US outside of New York what they think of that city. Language issues aside a lot of people in rural Quebec would love to reembrace the Nordiques to stick to arrogant, self-centred Montreal, as they did the first time when the Habs were filled with French players. When a lot of these people get involved in the language debates in Montreal, they are looking out for their interests which aren't always tied to that of cosmopolitan Montreal.

Now to get personal, as an anglophone with limited French, when I'm in Montreal I usually am associating with anglophones, francophones and allophones alike. I respect the reasons behind bill 101 and that the majority of Montreal wants to speak French, I don't demand anyone speak English to me and when I do need English it's rarely an issue, as the city is so overwhelmingly billingual and would rather make things easier on both of us. Most people I know, no matter what their first language is, will use both languages in conversation, and I'm more than happy to use my limited French. This is one of those things that makes Montreal unique.

I think Montreal's billingualism is an ideal worth striving for, which means both mechanisms to protect French from influence from anglo Canada and the US, but also mutual respect. The Habs will always be a billingual organization, but we can't realistically expect hockey players and coaches who were raised in one language to focus their energies on becoming bilingual, many of these guys had limited schooling and even those who went to uni had to juggle hockey with their studies, to expect them to be linguistic scholars will take away from their focus on hockey.

While there's a lot of mistakes the organization made with firing Martin and appointing Cunneyworth the interim coach, the club was conscious the whole time that it was representing a bilingual city, going as far as to throw Cunneyworth under the bus, while the man himself has promised to make an effort and is making sure he starts his press conferences with some simple French.

I guess the protesters are entitled to believe whatever they want, but I am extremely wary about their intentions considering how sensitive the Habs have been to the language issue (more so than even to the team's best interests on the ice). Separatists are entitled to their opinion, I mean even anglo-Quebecers are hardly being represented by the current Canadian government, but as a Habs fan and someone who considers Montreal the closest thing to home, I'm offended by those who turned this into a political issue.

Last edited by Et le But: 01-08-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old
01-08-2012, 04:53 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Not at all. If the team wins regardless of the coach speaking French or not he will make money.

If say we get a French coach and the team sucks will he make as much money as he would with an English coach winning? Don't think so.

It goes both ways.

Choose the best coach possible. Period.

I know the Canadiens are a proud symbol of Quebec and I respect that but we got to evolve. The NHL is anglophone and the Canadiens sole reason to be in the NHL is to win.

People keep using that they have to make the fans happy. I agree. The fans will be happy with a winner much more than with a bilingual coach. Not even close.
Well, everything that is going on right now (the small protest, the politicians involvment -- right or wrong --, this very thread, etc.) proove that I'm right. I personnaly don't care about it, but it was bad branding, markerting and managing.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
I'm a separatist and I'm against the protest. We shouldn't mix politics with sports.
Why don't you put the Quebec flag under your avatar then? And if you are an immigrant and a separatist, very douchy!

Old
01-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

its funny when you look at the pictures its all a bunch of old men and women. They are stuck in their old stubborn bigot ways. It's 2012 people not 1965 grow up

Old
01-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Why don't you put the Quebec flag under your avatar then? And if you are an immigrant and a separatist, very douchy!
So because I'm a separatist, I have to put the Québec flag under my name on a hockey boards ?

What is this ?

Old
01-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
if quebec separates what would the canadiens be called?....the Separatists???

Old
01-08-2012, 05:22 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Whatever these people have been around for decades and will be around for many more decades I am sure. They like to complain about the smallest thing and it is not surprising we Quebecois, yes I might live in Ottawa but was born and raised in Quebec and only moved here a few years ago, are seen as massive complainers by the rest of Canada and even the world. Any excuse to be difficult, especially when they feel they have been slighted, and in this case they have not been slighted in the least bit.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
So because I'm a separatist, I have to put the Québec flag under my name on a hockey boards ?

What is this ?
I find it very hypocritical that you come out and say : Hi I want Canada to separate. And then you show an allegiance to a European country. If you care, show your colors, that's all. If you feel proud of your heritage, then how do you think Canadians feel having people like you wanting to separate our country?

Old
01-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Whatever these people have been around for decades and will be around for many more decades I am sure. They like to complain about the smallest thing and it is not surprising we Quebecois, yes I might live in Ottawa but was born and raised in Quebec and only moved here a few years ago, are seen as massive complainers by the rest of Canada and even the world. Any excuse to be difficult, especially when they feel they have been slighted, and in this case they have not been slighted in the least bit.
Tell me about it, man.

People in Quebec will whine before reasoning. Heck, before breathing.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
i dont understand sorry...it was a paragraph long sentence

Old
01-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
if quebec separates what would the canadiens be called?....the Separatists???
It will never go there, over my dead body!!! Montreal will separate from Quebec way before Quebec separates Canada. These separatist morons have no idea what they want to get in to!

Old
01-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Price My Man Crush

Funny all those people calling themselves "separatist" and they watch Canada at Olympics.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
It will never go there, over my dead body!!! Montreal will separate from Quebec way before Quebec separates Canada. These separatist morons have no idea what they want to get in to!
they arent morons actually and when you say that it makes you look like a moron. People have their beliefs. I may not agree but to call names is uncalled for. Its how they were brought up for the most part

Old
01-08-2012, 05:32 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
I find it very hypocritical that you come out and say : Hi I want Canada to separate. And then you show an allegiance to a European country. If you care, show your colors, that's all. If you feel proud of your heritage, then how do you think Canadians feel having people like you wanting to separate our country?
Holy **** are you 12 ?

The world doesn't revolve around Québec... I want Québec to legislate its own laws, not to be barricaded from the world. It's not because I'm a separatist that I hate Canada, I love it. We can be best friends.

I love learning new languages, I love new cultures.

Jeez, grow up.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:35 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHab View Post
What does one say? Gotta love Canada...about the only Western country that pays a bunch of separatists to sit in their big house and make decisions on a country they want to divide...and to top it all off...she then offers them big fat pensions. Nationalism...pretty word, isn't it? It was once called treason, in the days before political correctness. It was a crime punishable by death. Now we all know that Quebec will never separate from Canada as she enjoys too many benefits as the spoiled child of confederation. Sadly, the rest of the country are too passive and pathetic in regards to the language laws of Quebec as they violate basic human rights. English is the number one language of Canada...French right now comes in at number two with around 5 million speakers....followed closely by the Asians who are now` closing in around 3 million. With all of this crap going on....it's time to make English the official language of Canada and have a second language for regions or areas.

This is the kind of bigotry that drove me off the boards. Pathetic. The fact this post hasn't even been deleted is a testament to what these boards have come to.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
they arent morons actually and when you say that it makes you look like a moron. People have their beliefs. I may not agree but to call names is uncalled for. Its how they were brought up for the most part
They are morons, cause I know I grew up with many of them. They have no plan, only an idea! Let's separate the country, one of the best country's in the world to live in BTW, and we will figure out how to manage after we separate. That's most of their mentality. I have zero respect for someone who says I'm a separatist. If you ever meet one, ask them about currency, Medicare, etc. All their gonna tell you is we will keep our culture. Whatever that means.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
This is the kind of bigotry that drove me off the boards. Pathetic. The fact this post hasn't even been deleted is a testament to what this boards have come to.
If this topic has proven anything it's that English and French speakers can both be huge bigots.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
They are morons, cause I know I grew up with many of them. They have no plan, only an idea! Let's separate the country, one of the best country's in the world to live in BTW, and we will figure out how to manage after we separate. That's most of their mentality. I have zero respect for someone who says I'm a separatist. If you ever meet one, ask them about currency, Medicare, etc. All their gonna tell you is we will keep our culture. Whatever that means.
Stay classy.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:41 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
The voice of reason, regardless of political beliefs a sports franchise should be a unifying force in a city. Anyone looking to serve other agenda should be ostracized by the masses, that failing a good ol tar n feathering should do the trick

I died laughing when i found out that one of the protestors wasn't even a hockey fan

Closed Thread