HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

2012 Trade Deadline

View Poll Results: Will the Stars do anything between now and the trade deadline?
Stars make at least one big move 21 35.00%
Stars make one or more small moves 32 53.33%
Stars do nothing 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Rune Forumwalker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I could actually see us trading this years first. Could honestly see Bachman being traded for an incredibly high end talent as well.
Perhaps, though I'm not sure as he is just breaking into the NHL. But if he already had a season as an NHL backup under his belt then maybe they could use him plus a couple of depth players to pull an overpaid skilled player from a team willing to unload him ala the Richards trade.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:49 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
CBC is reporting Derek Roy is in play. I think he'd be a perfect fit for us. Tweener #1b/#2 Center, slightly under PPG in his career. Only 28 years old, so still in his prime. Having a very down year but not far removed from wonderful 70-80 point years. Move him to the top 6 and get Ott out of it.

Maybe we can unload Robidas and a pick for him? Roy has another season after this left on his contract at $4 mil a year.

Benn-Roy-Ryder
Morrow-Riberio-Eriksson

Old
01-08-2012, 01:11 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
CBC is reporting Derek Roy is in play. I think he'd be a perfect fit for us. Tweener #1b/#2 Center, slightly under PPG in his career. Only 28 years old, so still in his prime. Having a very down year but not far removed from wonderful 70-80 point years. Move him to the top 6 and get Ott out of it.

Maybe we can unload Robidas and a pick for him? Roy has another season after this left on his contract at $4 mil a year.

Benn-Roy-Ryder
Morrow-Riberio-Eriksson
I like that, but I'd prefer an option that keeps Benn at center.

EDIT: What would you plan on giving up, too? I doubt Robidas or Grossman would work as a main piece for a guy like Roy. However, he's one player I'd gladly move a 1st for.

Last edited by LatvianTwist: 01-08-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old
01-08-2012, 01:39 AM
WhoahNow

I fully expect a dman to be moved out this year, no idea who, but someone preferably for a top 6 forward or for a C prospect. I really don't want to move a first in a deep draft where we could end up with a top end player even if still picking into the 20s.

Old
01-08-2012, 03:20 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

What is wrong with Ott in the top 6, exactly?

Old
01-08-2012, 03:28 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
What is wrong with Ott in the top 6, exactly?
He's just not a true top 6 forward. He's fine up there as a fill in, but I just think we'd be better off with a more offensive player. That, and we only have one true playmaker right now, and if getting another means Ott losing his top 6 spot, I'd be fine with that. He'd look great on the third line, and just imagine how much stronger our depth would be.

(assuming we get Roy)

Benn - Roy - Ryder
Morrow - Ribs - Eriksson
Nystrom - Fiddler - Ott
Burish - Wandell - Dvorak
Dowell/Petersen

And patching one (maybe even two) injuries becomes extremely easy. Move Ott up and fill in the holes in the bottom 6. It's depth along with high end that carries you far, not one or the other, and to me, that forward group has both.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:02 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
No thanks on Roy. We have enough smaller players.

We need 6'2 + guys who can drive to the net and hit.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:02 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

@LT

I don't buy that whole "true top 6 forward" crap. Teams are neither built nor coached that way. I agree acquiring a better player than Ott will make this team better (duh,) I just think if you're going to be spending assets it should be to fix that miserable defensive group.

I like Larsen a lot, but if he's looking that good, it's more likely the rest of the defense is just crap. The forward group on this team has actually accomplished a lot considering they're 3/4 on 6 most of the time.

@Cin

I wish the Benns had more brothers.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:07 AM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
@LT

I don't buy that whole "true top 6 forward" crap. Teams are neither built nor coached that way. I agree acquiring a better player than Ott will make this team better (duh,) I just think if you're going to be spending assets it should be to fix that miserable defensive group.

I like Larsen a lot, but if he's looking that good, it's more likely the rest of the defense is just crap. The forward group on this team has actually accomplished a lot considering they're 3/4 on 6 most of the time.

@Cin

I wish the Benns had more brothers.
Let's hire their parents to pop a couple out, and 3 more? Lw Rw and another D

Old
01-08-2012, 10:14 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Of course I'd rather see us fix up our D first, but right now we need to move out bodies on the backend. Get rid of Robidas/Grossman, if someone can take Pardy away, do it (or waive him), and use the FA market heavily. Goligoski, Larsen, Daley, and Fistric are the only guys I think will return for certain. And then there's Benn and Dillon to wonder about as well. If we could find a trade that lets us beef up our D core, then I'd much rather take that over another forward. But it doesn't seem as though there is a defender that would do that available ATM. And sooner or later, we will need to find another top 6 guy. I'd expect for at least one of those holes to be filled by the start of next season, just don't know which one.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Of course I'd rather see us fix up our D first, but right now we need to move out bodies on the backend. Get rid of Robidas/Grossman, if someone can take Pardy away, do it (or waive him), and use the FA market heavily. Goligoski, Larsen, Daley, and Fistric are the only guys I think will return for certain. And then there's Benn and Dillon to wonder about as well. If we could find a trade that lets us beef up our D core, then I'd much rather take that over another forward. But it doesn't seem as though there is a defender that would do that available ATM. And sooner or later, we will need to find another top 6 guy. I'd expect for at least one of those holes to be filled by the start of next season, just don't know which one.
I pick the obvious hole that Ryan Suter belongs in for next free agency

Old
01-08-2012, 10:59 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

You know, crunching some numbers, if we resign everyone or find replacements at around the same cost, and assuming the RFAs get this:

Benn - 5 per
Goligoski - 3.5-4 per
Fistric - 1.5-2 per
Larsen - 1-2 per
Bachman - 1.5 per

And Wandell gets a small raise, we'll still have plenty of room to offer Suter even 7+ per and still have a lot of wiggle room. Also assuming Robidas gets traded, Pardy leaves somehow, and Grossman doesn't resign/gets traded, our D could look like this:

Goligoski - Suter
Daley - Larsen
Souray - Fistric

With Souray and Goose getting a lot of the PP time. Larsen might split it with Goose as well. And if we do end up pushing the cap (I'd hate to see this though), we could still even go after another top 4 d-man and bump Larsen to the bottom pairing, scratching Fistric or Souray depending on what we need (offense or defense).

I'm really interested to see what Niewy does. There'll be a lot of options this OS, and I really hope he tries to make a big splash.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
No thanks on Roy. We have enough smaller players.

We need 6'2 + guys who can drive to the net and hit.
Dustin Penner!

I still think Stoll would be a good option for us. Or possibly Hemsky.

Quote:
You know, crunching some numbers, if we resign everyone or find replacements at around the same cost, and assuming the RFAs get this:

Benn - 5 per
Goligoski - 3.5-4 per
Fistric - 1.5-2 per
Larsen - 1-2 per
Bachman - 1.5 per

And Wandell gets a small raise, we'll still have plenty of room to offer Suter even 7+ per and still have a lot of wiggle room. Also assuming Robidas gets traded, Pardy leaves somehow, and Grossman doesn't resign/gets traded, our D could look like this:

Goligoski - Suter
Daley - Larsen
Souray - Fistric

With Souray and Goose getting a lot of the PP time. Larsen might split it with Goose as well. And if we do end up pushing the cap (I'd hate to see this though), we could still even go after another top 4 d-man and bump Larsen to the bottom pairing, scratching Fistric or Souray depending on what we need (offense or defense).

I'm really interested to see what Niewy does. There'll be a lot of options this OS, and I really hope he tries to make a big splash.
I would probably prefer if we let Souray walk. Whether or not we can get Weber over Suter, matters too. Question also remains, if we trade Robidas, what do we get in return? Picks/prospects?

Last edited by Frozen Failure: 01-08-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old
01-08-2012, 12:06 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
I pick the obvious hole that Ryan Suter belongs in for next free agency
if he hits UFA GMJN needs to call him 30 seconds later and throw some serious cash at him.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:12 PM
BeaverSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by eartotheground View Post
meh, if we bring in nash or parise, then weber... we should be competitive. surely this could be done for burish, peterson & a 7th.
Obviously tongue in cheek, there, but the Stars have some cap room, they have some real dollars available, and the future isn't looking bleak there are good young players signed to reasonable contracts over term. They could package some prospects or picks to grab a marquee impending RFA or UFA and move forward that way.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:27 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Could anyone else see us trading for Weber's rights this offseason?

Old
01-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
No I don't think we hae the blue chipper Nashville would want and/or Joe wouldn't be willing to give them up, Suter is really underrated and has alot to do with webers success

Old
01-08-2012, 01:02 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Nope other teams have more quality and more surplus prospects in order to outbid the stars. Frankly I dont think trading for Weber would be the best move for the Stars, especially if we could make a run at signing Suter instead.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:03 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
No I don't think we hae the blue chipper Nashville would want and/or Joe wouldn't be willing to give them up, Suter is really underrated and has alot to do with webers success
I have a feeling a poll of nashville fans of Suter vs Weber should be alot closer than most people might think.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I have a feeling a poll of nashville fans of Suter vs Weber should be alot closer than most people might think.
Yeah Imo Suter is just as good or better of a defender and a better playmaker but doesn't have the massive shot

Old
01-08-2012, 01:28 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Sutters right for robidas

Make it happen, Joe.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:52 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
I wouldn't expect any kind of big free agent signing next summer. The team is already going to be adding a fairly massive amount of salary in simply paying Benn and Goligoski closer to what they're worth. They'll lose money this season and likely the next. Lots of it. Gaglardi can deal with those losses, but then you add another big ticket contract on top of that? I don't know.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I wouldn't expect any kind of big free agent signing next summer. The team is already going to be adding a fairly massive amount of salary in simply paying Benn and Goligoski closer to what they're worth. They'll lose money this season and likely the next. Lots of it. Gaglardi can deal with those losses, but then you add another big ticket contract on top of that? I don't know.
Pff money whatevs

Old
01-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Brand New Stars

Have you guys seen Suter's numbers without Weber? I think Weber would be much better for the Stars.

Btw I'm not saying Suter isn't good, but no way do I throw $7+ million at him.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:10 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I don't know about that one, piqued. If snagging a guy like Suter or Parise is what could take us far into the playoffs (or even get us there), I think it'd be worth the risk. I mean, we're guaranteed two home games if we do make it, and I'd be stunned if they weren't sellouts, so I can't imagine him not getting the money he spent on a guy like that from:
A) the increased number of fans that show up to the games due to a better team and more success (at least there should be)
B) more merchandise sold due to bigger name players
C) the extra games we'd play during the playoffs

However, it is riskier, as we'll never know if Suter/Weber/whoever will turn out for us, or if we'll play better. But I think it'd be worth a shot.

Closed Thread