HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Marchand/Salo Incident UPD: Suspended 5 games + league reaction

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Bo Knows

vCash: 500
Marchand/Salo Incident UPD: Suspended 5 games + league reaction

The mods wanted a new thread to talk about the incident itself, so here we are. Let's keep this on topic and without any overreaction.

Marchand's take:

“The puck was going around the boards and I went to pick it up and was kind of looking over my shoulder,” Marchand said. “I saw Salo coming in and I just kind of went down.

"It was unfortunate he got injured. I did go under him, but I felt the base contact was at about his hip point and that’s usually a pretty legal hit from what I’ve seen in the past.”

Marchand said he’s unsure if the league will suspend him or not, but he said he believes there will be a hearing with the NHL tomorrow.

“I had no intention of hurting Salo on the play,” Marchand said. “He’s a very big body coming in on me – I’m not the biggest guy – and in a situation like that, I have no idea what he’s going to do and I’m just trying to protect myself.”

Vigneault on Marchand and Julien:

"That's a stupid comment," said the Canucks coach. "What Marchand did there, you could end a player's career doing that and I've never seen Sami Salo take a run at any player in the NHL. All I've seen Sami Salo do is play with integrity and play the right way.

"Marchand -- this is just my feeling on this -- some day he's going to get it. Somebody is going to say enough is enough and they're going to hurt the kid, because he plays to hurt players and in my mind if the league doesn't take care of it, somebody else will.

"Sometimes it takes the league time to figure things out and there's a difference between a good hip check when the player is coming down on you one-on-one with the puck and what we saw Marchand do with his definite attempt to injure. Something needs to happen."

Gillis on Marchand:

"I felt it was a play that is really intended to injure another player and did injure our player," said Gillis. "I thought it was a dirty hit and I don't agree with that type of play. That play happened last year in the final and it has happened again. He plays on the edge and he's that type of player.

"Salo was going in to make a hockey play and clearly wasn't anticipating what was happening. We're just lucky we have eight defencemen."

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/So...#ixzz1iulY5us2

His hearing is on Monday and it's supposedly going to be over the phone.

For some reason my YT clips won't work so if a mod wants to edit the video into the OP, I'd appreciate it.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:59 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Carry on here and remember to keep things civil and focused.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:02 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
It blows my mind that some hockey fans can't see the difference between what Marchand did and the beautiful hip checks that Ballard and Hamhuis throw. Ballard said it best:

My prediction is one game at the most btw, hopefully Shanny surprises me.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:05 PM
JustinW

It was low, but not low in relation to Marchand's height. IMO it is no different from what Ballard does with some of his hits. I think apart of the result was from Salo kind of turning just before the hit where he ended up falling backwards. I'm not sure why he started to turn backwards like that because from the video it looks like he looked in Marchand's direction and saw him there, but maybe he didn't because of Marchand's height.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post

I had no intention of hurting Salo on the play, Marchand said. Hes a very big body coming in on me Im not the biggest guy and in a situation like that, I have no idea what hes going to do and Im just trying to protect myself.
Marchand is the biggest pos I have ever seen. He knew exactly what he was doing if you watch this clip

The same thing happens before and Marchand loses the puck battle and gets tangled with Salo and gives him some shots so the next time that punk decides to do that

gutless puke

Old
01-08-2012, 06:08 PM
ProstheticConscience
I see an eagle

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinW View Post
It was low, but not low in relation to Marchand's height. IMO it is no different from what Ballard does with some of his hits. I think apart of the result was from Salo kind of turning just before the hit where he ended up falling backwards. I'm not sure why he started to turn backwards like that because from the video it looks like he looked in Marchand's direction and saw him there, but maybe he didn't because of Marchand's height.
I really don't know what to say to you if you can't see the difference between a legal hipcheck and what Marchand did. Get glasses.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:12 PM
particularsolution

Jimmy Murphy, Boston-based ESPN reporter, actually buying the "self-defense" argument and trying to somehow blame Salo for taking a "kamikaze" run at Marchand. Pure comedy.

Quote:
@jessespector agreed. Not denying Marchand is wrong. Just wondering if Salo was too

@jessespector That's just it. Part of me wonders what happens to Marchand if he doesn't do what he did?

RT @metal80s: @MurphysLaw74 Thought it was great hearing Jeremy Roenick say he used to duck those hits all the time. (exactly!)

@jessespector I agree Marchand should have hearing but what were Salo's intentions coming in like a kamikaze?

Old
01-08-2012, 06:13 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
IMO it is no different from what Ballard does with some of his hits.
To quote Ballard, ""There is a difference and anybody who says there's not a difference is an idiot."

I agree with Ballard... Sometimes timing might be off by a bit, but the intent is a hockey play...

Old
01-08-2012, 06:13 PM
JustinW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
I really don't know what to say to you if you can't see the difference between a legal hipcheck and what Marchand did. Get glasses.

How is it different? We love Ballard for this kind of ****.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:16 PM
ProstheticConscience
I see an eagle

vCash: 883
Quote:

You really can't see it?

Old
KesGold17

It's come to my attention that people do not understand what a correct hip check looks like. I've been on these boards and other sites and there are a lot of people comparing what Marchand did to Hamhuis or Ballard. Seriously, it's unbelievable how you could equate that hit from Marchand as an equal. I guess a lot of people haven't played the game at all. Anybody who knows hockey knows that was a dirty, dirty hit by Marchand.

Old
Barney Gumble

Quote:

Lard_Lad said it best:

Quote:
Yeah, the whole 'it was a hipcheck' argument is bull. You hipcheck someone by swinging your hip and ass into him as he's approaching you, not by ducking headfirst under a guy who's back/side-on to you. Marchand and Julien are lowlifes for suggesting it was anything other than a cheapshot, but we knew that already.

Old
particularsolution

Quote:

If ever there was a player "coming in like a kamikaze" it's Mcginn on that play. Doesn't even play the puck.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:17 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by particularsolution View Post
Jimmy Murphy, Boston-based ESPN reporter, actually buying the "self-defense" argument and trying to somehow blame Salo for taking a "kamikaze" run at Marchand. Pure comedy.
Heh, those tweets were bad enough for me to reply. I quoted the "what were Salo's intentions" tweet and replied:

It's called a pinch. It happens in every NHL game.

and followed it up with:

In fact, it happened between Salo and Marchand 15 seconds before hit. Watch the replay and #getaclue.

and finally:

Or carry on vilifying the the victim like the coach until someone's neck gets broken. Oh wait #masonraymond.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

It's shocking that so many people who follow hockey, and some who professionally COVER the NHL; do not understand the difference between this incident and an hip check. Seriously right...#getaclue.

And now, "6'5" Sami Salo is apparently the second coming of Scott Stevens.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:20 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Heh, those tweets were bad enough for me to reply. I quoted the "what were Salo's intentions" tweet and replied:

and followed it up with

In fact, it happened between Salo and Marchand 15 seconds before hit. Watch the replay and #getaclue.
Sami Salo is much more likely to give Marchand a kiss, then to do something with malice intentions... It's Sami Salo... The guy who had to be persuaded to not take it easy with his point shot, because he didn't want to hurt the opposing players...

Old
01-08-2012, 06:21 PM
particularsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post

and followed it up with

It's mind-boggling that a legit sports station like ESPN can employ such an ignorant fool. The guy is either dumb as a rock, blinded by Bruins love, or some combination of the two.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:21 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Obvious cheapshot. Marchand going after an unsuspecting, clean player. Marchand says how he wasn't sure what Salo was going to do. Bunch of garbage. He's just trying to add some vagueness make it seem like he was confused, but he knew exactly what Sami was going to do. Sami was going to give him a soft shoulder check/bump like he always does. He says how sami is like 6' 4" /6' 5"ish bahaha. Trying to make it seem like he's some big goon like Lucic. Julien comes across as an idiot as well. Marchand is just lying through his teeth to hopefully get a tiny bit smaller suspension and plant some doubt in shanahan's mind, but it is obvious that he was trying to hurt salo with that cheapshot. He did the exact same thing to sedin in the playoffs, but i guess big bad sedin was going to rough him up there as well. i remember the boston fans defending marchand there too saying that sedin was coming to hit him. bahaha. The guy has absolutely no remorse for anyone. It's too bad that max he can get is 5 games.

Kid's a pansy that went out to hurt our player and got away with it. Walked away like he was some superhero. pathetic. if any other team was watching, the character of that team is obvious when you see horton patting marchand on the helmet after the hit. Goon team and goon coach. It's time for the nhl/refs to clean up its act in the regular season and especially the playoffs, and not let goon teams get away with murder before someone dies out there. Let's be honest, the only reason we had more power plays last game is because it was the regular season and the refs figured they'd better call something after providing an unfair playing field in the finals. If that game was in the finals, 95% of those penalties against the bruins wouldn't have been called.

AV is definitely right when he said someone someone's going to hurt him one day (not his exact words). He's a dirty player playing for a dirty team. Teams are getting sick of the bruins and they are getting desperate to beat them. Sooner or later, someone is going to attempt to injure their stars (lucic, chara) out of desperation. I'm sure Marchand will get it sooner rather than later though.

Last edited by luongo321: 01-08-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old
01-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
It's shocking that so many people who follow hockey, and some who professionally COVER the NHL; do not understand the difference between this incident and an hip check. Seriously right...#getaclue.

And now, "6'5" Sami Salo is apparently the second coming of Scott Stevens.
Don't be too hard on them though - if an actual amateur referee doesn't know (Ron MacLean) - how would you expect the average fan to know?

It does pose the question, if Ron MacLean didn't call out PJ Stock on HNIC the other night regarding this - then you have to wonder how qualified he really is to be a ref - even at the amateur level.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by particularsolution View Post
It's mind-boggling that a legit sports station like ESPN can employ such an ignorant fool. The guy is either dumb as a rock, blinded by Bruins love, or some combination of the two.
It's not that surprising. The CBC has been employing a guy that fits that description for the last 30 years.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Bo Knows

Boston fans and media will argue until they are blue in the face, about everything and anything. I never knew why Montreal fans always *****ed so much about them, but now I know why. I've never seen such ignorance to one team's own player's actions before. Everything is spun in a positive light over there. Jack Edwards and his team of broadcasters and reporters are allowed to get away with saying whatever they want. The exact same thing happened with the Chara incident; IIRC they started posting videos of the Johnson hit on Smyth into the turnbuckle to try and justify Chara's mistake.

It's like they are unable to see things objectively. Ever since the Savard hit (and probably before), they have been the loudest and most annoying fanbase in terms of criticism of other teams' players and in defence of their own. Being a successful team does not make you immune to criticism; it does the exact opposite. They're starting to find out what being at the top of the food chain is like, just like we did for points last year.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:31 PM
flack

Quote:

Look closely at 0.06 to 0.07 and watch where the puck is and also watch McGinn, he was clearly trying to target Ballard and he was aware that something is going to happen. If you go to 0.07 and freeze it there watch where Ballards hips is relative to McGinn...Also notice where the puck is McGinn had it first. It is completely legit check.

Last edited by flack: 01-08-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Call should be: 5 minute interference, game, 4 game suspension.

That's simply what it should be, IMO... based on precedents.

Old
Chubros

At best, Marchand panics at the last moment and dives down to avoid getting hit. The resulting injury is an unintended consequence. Marchand's actions are still craven, stupid, and worthy of suspension.

At worst, Marchand fakes a play on the puck to suck Salo into committing himself to throwing a hit and Marchand then times his move so that Salo has no way to defend himself. Essentially this is intent to inflict injury on an opponent; he willfully makes a dangerous and dirty hit.

Although Marchand will plead the former and it is impossible to definitively say what went through his head, I think he is guilty of the latter here for a number of reasons. First, about 8-10 seconds prior to the incident, both players came together in the same corner from very similar positions. Marchand takes the shoulder to shoulder contact like a man. The second time around he adapts his play with ill intent. The way he lets moves his stick past the puck looks like an intentional feint. The sequence is too well timed to suggest Marchand was only reacting and trying to protect himself. Second, Marchand has proven that he has this manoeuvere in his repertoire as an act of aggression. It doesn't look as though he just tries to avoid contact, it looks like he delivers a hit with as much force as he can at the lowest possible point and follows through. Finally, Marchand has a history, indicating that he is capable of malicious play.

He deserves 4-5 games.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
This whole incident leaves me wondering whether Vancouver should hire some spin doctors. I can't believe that people actually buy that the hit was clean. It was dirtier than Nathan Horton's cave.

Closed Thread