Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Bruce Boudreau replaces Randy Carlyle as coach of the Ducks

Old
01-06-2012, 03:49 AM
TheFlyingV
Anatidaephobia

vCash: 500
BB said at Off the Ice tonight to disregard any complaints from the eastern conference due to the fact they're travel schedule involves 15 minute plane trips here, 45 minute bus rides there.

Love him as a person, not sold on him as a coach yet.

TheFlyingV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Predatials

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Way too much juggling with the lines for my taste. Lets for god sake keep the top two lines for now with Blake back. How about Hagman-Mace-Cogs on 3rd?

No, wait. Macenauer is sent down to the minors...

Get used to that. BB loves him some line juggling.

Predatials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 02:42 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Every coach juggles lines. Unless the team is winning and the coach is satisfied, in which case only the vast majority of coaches juggle lines.

It was a stupid reason to criticize Carlyle and it is a stupid reason to criticize Boudreau, even moreso since he can't reasonably have a sense of where the chemistry is yet.

One thing I do criticize Boudreau over that is line juggling related is that he doesn't seem to have done his homework when it comes to this roster. Taking Selanne off the first PP unit, immediately dismantling a 2nd line that had been our best line prior to his arrival, you get the impression that he came in with a "I'll figure it out as I go" mindset. Which to me only adds to the impression that he doesn't have a plan.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 11:33 PM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
Every coach juggles lines. Unless the team is winning and the coach is satisfied, in which case only the vast majority of coaches juggle lines.

It was a stupid reason to criticize Carlyle and it is a stupid reason to criticize Boudreau, even moreso since he can't reasonably have a sense of where the chemistry is yet.

One thing I do criticize Boudreau over that is line juggling related is that he doesn't seem to have done his homework when it comes to this roster. Taking Selanne off the first PP unit, immediately dismantling a 2nd line that had been our best line prior to his arrival, you get the impression that he came in with a "I'll figure it out as I go" mindset. Which to me only adds to the impression that he doesn't have a plan.
There are Caps fans myself included who would swear he did this during his 4 years with the Caps. In the playoffs it was even worse. As far as line juggling it seemed the first sign of any problem win or lose that it was the only trick he has up his sleeve. Oh and also to play Ovie at defense when the team is down by 3 goals.

good luck. I hope he fares better in Cali

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 04:08 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Boudreau doesn't need no #%$&*% filter

Quote:
“Sometimes, unfortunately, the words that come out of my mouth aren’t the words that you’d hear on Nickelodeon,” Boudreau admitted.

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Bender66
Duck you

Shoot the @#$@%! puck

Boudreau: SHOOT the puck already!

Quote:
“The thing is we cycle, but we cycle with no purpose other than cycling,” Boudreau said. “We’re keeping the puck in the zone for 20 seconds, but there’s no chance of scoring.”

Bender66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender66 View Post
Shoot the @#$@%! puck

Boudreau: SHOOT the puck already!
I'm glad he's callin them out for what's been glaringly obvious for years now. I did like how he had the PP firing away in the last game. Maybe he's finally trying to install a new system.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Papaspud
Bring on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
I'm glad he's callin them out for what's been glaringly obvious for years now. I did like how he had the PP firing away in the last game. Maybe he's finally trying to install a new system.
That cycle ad naseum until the prerequisite turnover was RC's system. After so many years of getting that drilled into the players heads it must be second nature to them.

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaspud View Post
That cycle ad naseum until the prerequisite turnover was RC's system. After so many years of getting that drilled into the players heads it must be second nature to them.
That really doesn't make sense. I don't believe for a minute that Carlyle wanted the players to stay on the perimeter. What I think is that it's easy to play perimeter hockey, and the players just weren't going to the middle.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Papaspud
Bring on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
That really doesn't make sense. I don't believe for a minute that Carlyle wanted the players to stay on the perimeter. What I think is that it's easy to play perimeter hockey, and the players just weren't going to the middle.
As long as RC was here, had he wanted them to play differently, especially in the beginning of his tenure, they would have. That the continual perimeter cycle was a textbook play by the Ducks season after season, after season, after season, I'm believing RC approved. If not, it would've been adjusted far sooner.

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaspud View Post
As long as RC was here, had he wanted them to play differently, especially in the beginning of his tenure, they would have. That the continual perimeter cycle was a textbook play by the Ducks season after season, after season, after season, I'm believing RC approved. If not, it would've been adjusted far sooner.
You mean like in 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 when they crashed the net hard, and were known for it? Carlyle also said he kept telling to Getzlaf to shoot, and we saw how that ended up.

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest Carlyle wanted the team to stay on the perimeter. In fact, the Ducks have always been more successful when they get to the middle. You're suggesting that Carlyle went against a fundamental hockey tactic, which is to get to the net. That's pretty crazy, Papaspud.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Carlyle was always on them to go to the net. That was why when the cycle was well-defended the puck was supposed to go to the points. The point men were to take shots while the forwards crashed the net. They got the pointman part right but were hazy on the net crashing.

If there's criticism of Carlyle in that, it's that he couldn't convince them to do it consistently.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

http://ducks.ocregister.com/2012/01/...o-love/105838/

Lord Flashheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:43 PM
txpd

wondering now, you guys still think boudreau is a joke or are you seeing it now?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Paul4587

Who said he was a joke?

Paul4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
wondering now, you guys still think boudreau is a joke or are you seeing it now?
When did Ducks fans ever call him a joke?

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Joke?

You are in the wrong place - the Eastern Conference boards are that way.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Bender66
Duck you

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=7894

Quote:
On having played and coached at so many different levels of hockey: "It really gets you to understand people. That was the biggest thing. Even at the NHL level, to know what a player is going through and be able to put yourself in that's position, I think that's really important. If you can relate to what they feel, then you can understand what they're going through and you know how to treat them, whether to give them a kick in the butt or a pat on the back. You just need to know when to do it.

"The thing that comes to my mind is talking to a player whose wife is pregnant. He's not playing well, and you're asking him what's wrong, and he doesn't want to tell you. Then you talk to another player and he's like, "Listen, Matt hasn't slept in three weeks. He's sleeping in the rollaway because his wife can't sleep and the baby has colic and you're wondering why he has no energy in the game. It's sort of an insight and now you know what the deal is, instead of thinking that he's dogging it or not working."

Bender66 is offline   Reply With Quote