HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

All David Desharnais talk here.

View Poll Results: Is Desharnais' future at center or wing?
Keep him at center long-term. Play him with two big wingers. 54 83.08%
Shift him to the wing. We need more size at center. We can't give him two big wingers. 3 4.62%
Keep him at center for next season. Draft a center this year and shift DD to wing when he comes up. 8 12.31%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 07:17 PM
oleHABSole*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Let's give 2 power forwards to Pleks and let's see what he does for the 2nd half.
By extension, let's give Gio and Cammy to DD and let's see if his production continues.......
great idea, I'd love to see what happens.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:31 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLERCOPTER View Post
great idea, I'd love to see what happens.
I don't really think it makes much of a difference. DD never played a power game and pacioretty just happens to be a big winger who isn't a power forward, although not afraid of traffic. Gionta has made a career of out working guys anyway.

At the end of the day, they put leblanc-DD-Cammalleri and it worked, why would switching leblanc with a two-way hard working goal scoring vet make it worse? Sure, they aren't exactly the best line up available, but I think DD would produce at a similar pace anyway.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:52 PM
muzion

If given the opportunities, yes. He's a better offensive player this year, it's that simple. Plekanec can't create squat at even strength. Funny how Cole, Cammy, AK46, and Max Pac have all played better hockey with DD...

And miss me with that DD is being protected crap, when it hasn't been the case for the past month.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:45 PM
MXD

Quite possible, but that wouldn't be a good thing...
And besides, hfboards is the only place where Eller is ahead of DD on the depth chart.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Quite possible, but that wouldn't be a good thing...
And besides, hfboards is the only place where Eller is ahead of DD on the depth chart.
Maybe, but the two are a lot closer than you think.

Eller has 14 ES points, while Desharnais has 19 ES points. That is not a huge difference considering Eller plays 2:30 min less on average with lesser wingers Also, Eller has played 3 less games.

DD consistently gets to play with two scoring wingers(who happen to be the teams two best wingers this season), while Eller usually gets one and a grinder while facing opposing teams top lines. Sometimes he is stuck playing with two grinders.

I think if Eller would get as much PP time as Desharnais that they would be even closer in points.

Personally, I don't think it will be long before Eller jumps DD on the offensive depth chart. In terms of all-around play, Eller is higher in my book on that regard, but still under Plekanec.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:33 PM
coolasprICE

DD has superior offensive talent; elite vision.

Plek is more complete.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:41 PM
durojean

I think Desharnais and Eller are both really good players with a lot of potetial. I'd be thrilled to see what Cole could do on a line with Eller and Kostitsyn.

The fact is Desharnais is good with any players he is put with. I really think a DD Gionta Cammalleri could be a good line.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Teufelsdreck

This insinuation is unfair to Plekanec, who's obliged to cover up for the weak sisters assigned to him.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:57 PM
number 11

poor guy, he works harder than anyone on the team except for cole yet he gets stuck with cammy

Old
01-08-2012, 10:03 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
poor guy, he works harder than anyone on the team except for cole yet he gets stuck with cammy
Give Cammy to DD, he'll still produce.

The chemistry just isn't there with Pleks and Cammy.

Gionta hasn't really had chemistry with anyone this season either. But I'd leave him with Pleks, probably.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta
Cammalleri - Desharnais - Cole

I have no idea what this organization has in store for Gomez when he returns though.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:09 PM
muzion

DD is the cure the the Gomez issue. If there's one guy who can make him get back on track, it's him.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:11 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
DD is the cure the the Gomez issue. If there's one guy who can make him get back on track, it's him.
Possibly, but they'd definitely need a guy like Cole on their line. That way if Gomez continues to suck, DD and Cole can do what they were doing while Pacioretty took two weeks off.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:02 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Possibly, but they'd definitely need a guy like Cole on their line. That way if Gomez continues to suck, DD and Cole can do what they were doing while Pacioretty took two weeks off.
You mean more like two weeks + a month off.
I'm trying to remember what linemates Plek had when he was PPG the first 20-25 games, pretty hard to do since the lines got changed so much. I remember Eller-Plek-Cole being a line at the beginning of the season but it was short lived and I'm not sure who else he played with. Pac-Plek-Gio??? I remember Plekanec's game began to dip when the Cammy-Plek-Gio line was made. Seriously they make a terrible line, too small, the only way such a line would work is if they get the soft matchups.
That or:

Pac-Plek-Gio > having Pac instead of Cammy would go a long way
Cammy-DD-Cole> it proved to work in a short time span
Moen-Eller-AK> Can't be broken, top shutdown line + only line who can actually cycle the puck in the O zone instead of mostly conter-attacking

That seems to make the most sense

Old
01-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
You mean more like two weeks + a month off.
I'm trying to remember what linemates Plek had when he was PPG the first 20-25 games, pretty hard to do since the lines got changed so much. I remember Eller-Plek-Cole being a line at the beginning of the season but it was short lived and I'm not sure who else he played with. Pac-Plek-Gio??? I remember Plekanec's game began to dip when the Cammy-Plek-Gio line was made. Seriously they make a terrible line, too small, the only way such a line would work is if they get the soft matchups.
That or:

Pac-Plek-Gio > having Pac instead of Cammy would go a long way
Cammy-DD-Cole> it proved to work in a short time span
Moen-Eller-AK> Can't be broken, top shutdown line + only line who can actually cycle the puck in the O zone instead of mostly conter-attacking

That seems to make the most sense
I don't think it had much to do with linemates. Plekanec started to slow down right around the time his wife/gf gave birth on Dec 5th. Prior to that date he had 22 points in 27 games and was scoring at a .81 ppg pace. After that he has had 8 in 14 games and is scoring at a .58 ppg pace. My guess is that Plekanec isn't getting much sleep and has bigger and better things on his mind than hockey.

Last edited by Andy: 01-08-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old
01-09-2012, 02:53 AM
Cyclones Rock

Over the past 20 games, Pleks has 3g7a=10points. If he continues at that pace he'll finish the season with 50 points.

DD's past 20 games scoring has been 3g11a=14 points. If he continues this pace then he'll finish with 54 points.

This assumes that both play in all the games and that the trend of the past 20 games will continue.

Old
01-09-2012, 07:23 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

Eller has 14 ES points, while Desharnais has 19 ES points. That is not a huge difference considering Eller plays 2:30 min less on average with lesser wingers Also, Eller has played 3 less games.

DD consistently gets to play with two scoring wingers(who happen to be the teams two best wingers this season), while Eller usually gets one and a grinder while facing opposing teams top lines. Sometimes he is stuck playing with two grinders.

I think if Eller would get as much PP time as Desharnais that they would be even closer in points.

Personally, I don't think it will be long before Eller jumps DD on the offensive depth chart. In terms of all-around play, Eller is higher in my book on that regard, but still under Plekanec.
Possibly.

It's also possible that DD continues to improve offensively.

Old
01-09-2012, 08:22 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

One thing I like about Eller's progression is that he is shooting a lot more. He may have been on pace for only 8 goals before his big night but he had a ridiculously low shooting % so there was no way, except if he was really unlucky, that he was ending up with that. Last year in 77 games he had only 79 shots on goal, right now after 38 games he has 63 shots and is on pace for about 130 shots on goal over 78 games. And he is shooting more lately so he could realistically end up with more. The assists should come more regulary playing with AK, pretty hard to rack them up playing with Darche,Noke,Gomez...

Old
01-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Over the past 20 games, Pleks has 3g7a=10points. If he continues at that pace he'll finish the season with 50 points.

DD's past 20 games scoring has been 3g11a=14 points. If he continues this pace then he'll finish with 54 points.

This assumes that both play in all the games and that the trend of the past 20 games will continue.
Way to only use statistics that support your argument

Old
01-09-2012, 10:38 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Possibly.

It's also possible that DD continues to improve offensively.
That word doesn't belong.

DD is only going to get better. Four things are going to help him put up more points;

1) Markov.
- Simple answer. He'll help everyone score and DD will be no exception.
2) Finishing chances.
- There are a lot of passes he makes during the game that get completely missed - I think the more comfortable people get with him, the more those passes will find their way to the back of the net.
3) Shooting.
- He's going to shoot more eventually. He's got 16 shots in last 12 games. I'm sure he'll start shooting a little more when he gets more comfortable.
4) The biggest one. Experience.
- Pretty self explanatory. He is still 10 games away from 100. He'll also adapt to the physical game better in the next year or two.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:00 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
If given the opportunities, yes. He's a better offensive player this year, it's that simple. Plekanec can't create squat at even strength. Funny how Cole, Cammy, AK46, and Max Pac have all played better hockey with DD...

And miss me with that DD is being protected crap, when it hasn't been the case for the past month.
So Plekanec has as many point ES than DD, but he can't create anything ?

Here come the Plekanec bashing... it's a yearly tradition here...

Old
01-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
So Plekanec has as many point ES than DD, but he can't create anything ?

Here come the Plekanec bashing... it's a yearly tradition here...
The Plekanec hate is shocking. I'm hearing Gomez comparisons despite Plekanec's current pace still ahead of Gomez last year, facing greater competition.

Desharnais is having a great year and I'm happy for him but why does he get fully absolved for Pacioretty's slump, while Pleks is blamed for Cammy sucking?

Old
01-15-2012, 07:44 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
There you have it. Desharnais has tied Pleks in points.

Old
01-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Undertakerqc

He definitly has more heart then Plekanec, and he was real impressive against the Bruins in the playoff. Plekanec? Well you know how he plays in the playoff ... like a girlie, he said it himself

Old
01-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Undertakerqc

If Eller can get it together a bit, i would trade Plekanec. We can only afford one small center , and the most talented center we have is DD. If we could get a big center, Getzlaf maybe if he is available or we can draft one if we finish low enought this would be great.

Old
01-15-2012, 08:52 PM
inthewings

Desharnais is +3 with 15 points in his last 15 games. Kid has great vision and is not afraid of the dirty areas. I'm a big fan.

Closed Thread