HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#40|Jan. 8, 2012|Flyers at Senators |5:00 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
A good coach with a good system can compensate for less that stellar players.
Yeh... coaching a team that has 3rd best record in the east, with a team that lost its top 2 centers, plays 5 rookies most nights.

Won a Stanley Cup, got to the final of another, 2 division championships.

666 games, 343 wins, 243 losses, 25 ties and 55 OTLs, for 766 points out of a possible 1332 for a 0.58 % pts percentage (top thirty all time in that category).

Which includes coaching the frigging Islanders, who he led to two consecutive playoff appearance after they hadn't sniffed the playoffs in 7 years.

Laviolette has no clue obviously

Old
01-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
I don't know how some of you can talk **** about bryz tonight. Do you watch the game or is this the first time you have ever watched hockey. How many turnovers, 3 on 1s, 2 on 1s, puck going in of our own defenders were there tonight. Our def and it's system is awful. Carle blows without hall of fame pronger holding his hand. Bourdon is a rookie who should still is be in the ahl. Lilja is immovable and useless getting the puck out of the zone. You watch teams like the rangers and pens who play a system that helps the goalie instead for this "jamming" crap which leaves the goalie to fend for himself 5 times a game, and nobody would say **** about any of our goalies. Get a ******* clue morons.

Doesnt this remind you of last year?

Old
01-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I figured that with the Flyers being up 4-2 in the second, Laviolette would have begun to run everyone into shutdown mode. Instead, he did the exact opposite. The tactical part of the game does fall on Laviolette. It could have been a 4-2 win for the Flyers IF Laviolette had decided to play a defensive scheme in the third. He didn't and the Flyers paid for it.

I know people talk about how bad the defense has been and that's something that Laviolette has to bear the brunt for. If you take a look at previous teams he has coached, the defense has gotten worse under his watch year after year. As mad as I am that Bryzgalov stank up the joint in the third, fact is, the Flyers allowed 37 shots on net. If Laviolette plays a shut down game in the third, there's no 37 shots on net and the Flyers win.

Good coaches manage to adjust when things aren't working. Right now, Laviolette's "system" isn't working and he needs to readjust things. He preaches defense, but the game plan clearly indicates otherwise. God what I'd give for Pat Burns to be alive right now. He would have been a great fit here.
I don't think we really have the personnel to play an effective shutdown game though. There's Couturier, Read and Timonen...Simmonds, to an extent...the rest can't really be trusted. I think the idea is to maintain constant pressure to prevent them from getting many chances

01-08-2012, 07:19 PM
bryzgalovsky*

vCash: 500
i hope we get weber AND gleason so when bryzgalov still gives up 4 goals a game the excuses will get increasingly ridiculous

Old
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinerary View Post
Click on person's name --> add to ignore list
Thanks.

I still think it was a case of being outplayed in the 3rd cause we were gassed and they werent.

Old
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Doesnt this remind you of last year?

Wasn't Pronger injured last year too?

Old
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Yeh... coaching a team that has 3rd best record in the east, with a team that lost its top 2 centers, plays 5 rookies most nights.

Won a Stanley Cup, got to the final of another, 2 division championships.

666 games, 343 wins, 243 losses, 25 ties and 55 OTLs, for 766 points out of a possible 1332 for a 0.58 % pts percentage (top thirty all time in that category).

Which includes coaching the frigging Islanders, who he led to two consecutive playoff appearance after they hadn't sniffed the playoffs in 7 years.

Laviolette has no clue obviously
When we went to the finals we had a more reserved attacking style. We consistently got outshot. Now we have a much more aggressive offense whwere we consistnetly outshoot the opposition. While I think we have the talent to play that way, clearly we are struggling holding leagues. Maybe we can adjust midgame toa comre conservative style , or play this more aggressive style when we have more faith in our team defense.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:21 PM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
funny, i got banned for "trolling" on the eagles forum when i pointed out in the preseason how bad the eagles linebackers and safeties were

maybe people should start paying me for advice instead of hating on me
its ok to have an opinion but when all you do is make snarky backhanded comments all game and constantly find ways to say the same negative things over and over again,its starts to make people not enjoy the boards anymore and thats not fair to people who come in here to have a good time and talk some hockey with people who all know the game. i don't know if you like the negative attention but hopefully a mod will agree with me.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Mike2000z28

Don't you guys remember when we played with Leighton and we had shutouts in the playoffs. We played extremely tight in our own zone and he saw a lot of the shots. We were organized as well like a machine. This team is a far shadow of that.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:23 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
When we went to the finals we had a more reserved attacking style. We consistently got outshot. Now we have a much more aggressive offense whwere we consistnetly outshoot the opposition. While I think we have the talent to play that way, clearly we are struggling holding leagues. Maybe we can adjust midgame toa comre conservative style , or play this more aggressive style when we have more faith in our team defense.
No we did'nt. We were only outshot in game 1 against NJ, and games 1 and 2 against Montreal but not even by alot.

Old
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
its ok to have an opinion but when all you do is make snarky backhanded comments all game and constantly find ways to say the same negative things over and over again,its starts to make people not enjoy the boards anymore and thats not fair to people who come in here to have a good time and talk some hockey with people who all know the game. i don't know if you like the negative attention but hopefully a mod will agree with me.
yeah and having to read a thousand comments about "van useless" and how every forward on this team is "invisible" is really enjoyable

'cause that happens pretty much every game

including today when giroux had his first bad game of the entire f***ing season

Old
Tripod

Remember guys....we have replaced Pronger...with Bourdon. Shouldn't we expect to be worse defensively????

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
A good coach with a good system can compensate for less that stellar players.
A good coach can't compensate for having complete crap for defensive forwards. They all play the system, they all know what the system is.

A lot of people here wanted Richards and Carter gone. Be careful what you wish for.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:24 PM
ugiswrong

Carle's OG gave the Sens life...Anderson's robbing of Schenn gave them belief, and Bryz had what he so often has, a great game with an untimely, horrifying gaffe; a universally terrible trait to have in a goaltender (cough Hextall's 2nd tenure cough)

Lavy has to see that the 1st line was skating in quicksand and make adjustments.

The likes of Lilja and Bourdon aren't going to get it done in the playoffs...they have both been to date exposed as being Lukas Krajicek-esque. At this point, gotta hope that Gustafsson doesn't also struggle, and an acquisition (Beauchemin?) to boot

Old
01-08-2012, 07:26 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000z28 View Post
Don't you guys remember when we played with Leighton and we had shutouts in the playoffs. We played extremely tight in our own zone and he saw a lot of the shots. We were organized as well like a machine. This team is a far shadow of that.
Exactly. So we know Lavy can play a variety of styles. This open ice style we play now and that tight style we played then. Im curious why we havent tried to go back to that style.

Old
JVR21
G

Quote:
I also remember the "sacrifice some defense for goaltending" sentiment that everybody was feeling after Leighton handed the Stanley Cup to Kane on a silver platter. Our defense looked like ********* tonight and is far from great, but in no way does that excuse Bryz from letting in crucial, very save-able pucks. He's the highest paid goaltender in the league this year and he has played like a bottom-tier backup.

Old
Left Circle OneTimer

Flyersmania i applaud you for completely ignoring my posts which shows for a factthat Bryz is the problem. Did you even watch the game last night? Anderson let in 4 goals but he stopped 3 times as much dangerous shots in the game than Bryz did yet its the system?

Again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
In addition to this post: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=4...7&postcount=38

I would like to share some stats with you guys.

Bryzgalov in his last 9 games in which he faced 220 shots has a save percentage of 87% (191-220)

Bobrovsky in his last 9 games has magically faced the exact same amount of shots but has a save percentage of 94% (207-220). During this stretch he put up a save percentage of 92% (60-65) against the Rangers, 92% (24-26) against Pittsburgh, 94% (16-17) against the Bruins.

Bobrovsky's save percentage should is better than it appear as aside from the 2 games against Winnipeg which as we remember were high scoring games on both sides of the ice for some strange reason, he has a save percentage of 93% on the season in 13 games, 10 of which were against teams with playoff positions (and one where he just had a 3-3 save backup for Bryz). 5 of his games have been played against teams in the top 10 in scoring and he has a save percentage of atleast 92% in each of those games.
Thats not factoring the last 2 games. His save % is even worse now. How is our defense magically good when Bob is playing but not Bryz? Or maybe the fact of the matter is that bob is doing his job as a goaltender and STONING people? Anderson made about 15 more highlight reel shots and they were one more dangerous chances and he isnt even a top level goalie.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:27 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
A good coach can't compensate for having complete crap for defensive forwards. They all play the system, they all know what the system is.

A lot of people here wanted Richards and Carter gone. Be careful what you wish for.
Ding Ding Ding !

I am ok with the trades, but we got a lot younger and it is going to take a year or 2 for the players to get up to speed defensively. Games like this will happen, but some who want to just blame Bryz while ignoring we got a lot worse defensively are only fooling themselves.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:27 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Exactly. If we could make Leighton look like an NHL goalie, I am sure we could supply bryz with a system that wouldn't hang him to dry.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:28 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

is there a curse on flyers goaltenders?

Old
01-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Swiper the Fox

as much as i love seeing jagr on the ice, he either seems tired or still hurt the way he was moving around tonight
not the same presence as normal
voracek and simmonds are great physical players but they are not patient puck handlers at all.
they drive the net and just toss it somewhere hoping a teammate is there to get it.
giroux, jagr,and even read and couterier could have 2 players all over them, and they still have the patience to wait it out a bit longer and make a good pass.

this team still needs work........... much work !!

Old
01-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
No we did'nt. We were only outshot in game 1 against NJ, and games 1 and 2 against Montreal but not even by alot.
You're right but in the Boston Chicago series we got outshot. Not every game but a majority of the time.

Old
kimmofan44

can somebody tell me how to ignore someone. i'm not sure how to do it and i'd like to go back to enjoying my time on the boards.

Old
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I know you said nothing about his performance on the whole season, but just for comparison's sake to point out how bad Bryz has been this season, here's the save percentage for the starters on the worst five teams in terms of goals against.

Carolina (30th) - .898 (Ward)
Ottawa (29th) - .902 (Anderson)
Tampa Bay (28th) - .903 (Garon)
Toronto (27th) - .900 (Reimer)
Columbus (26th) - .917 (Sanford) .885 (Mason)

Bryzgalov, on the 21st place team in GA (which is much better then these teams despite our crappiness in defense), currently has an .891 save percentage listed on NHL.com as I type this. If you discount Mason, who is a horrible goalie and might not be his team's starter anymore, then he's a full .007 behind the next goalie on this list who just happens to be on the worst team in the league defensively. That's horrible. There's some perspective for you. Anderson, Garon, Reimer, and Sanford all at least got save percentages of .900 or above and even Ward is close to that and these are the five worst teams possible to be on for a goalie. Yet Bryz is nowhere near that.

Horrible.
IMO, Patrick Roy, Lundquist, and Tim Thomas would not have good numbers on the current Flyers team with the current coach's system.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:31 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
can somebody tell me how to ignore someone. i'm not sure how to do it and i'd like to go back to enjoying my time on the boards.
Click their name --- go to ignore user.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Closed Thread