HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#40|Jan. 8, 2012|Flyers at Senators |5:00 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 08:32 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
is there a curse on flyers goaltenders?
Honestly, I think so sometimes. I'm not really sure though. Ugh.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
Old
01-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
IMO, Patrick Roy, Lundquist, and Tim Thomas would not have good numbers on the current Flyers team with the current coach's system.
So why does Sergei freaking Bobrovsky have good numbers in it?

You guys can continue to ignor emy post but ill just continue to post it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
In addition to this post: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=4...7&postcount=38

I would like to share some stats with you guys.

Bryzgalov in his last 9 games in which he faced 220 shots has a save percentage of 87% (191-220)

Bobrovsky in his last 9 games has magically faced the exact same amount of shots but has a save percentage of 94% (207-220). During this stretch he put up a save percentage of 92% (60-65) against the Rangers, 92% (24-26) against Pittsburgh, 94% (16-17) against the Bruins.

Bobrovsky's save percentage should is better than it appear as aside from the 2 games against Winnipeg which as we remember were high scoring games on both sides of the ice for some strange reason, he has a save percentage of 93% on the season in 13 games, 10 of which were against teams with playoff positions (and one where he just had a 3-3 save backup for Bryz). 5 of his games have been played against teams in the top 10 in scoring and he has a save percentage of atleast 92% in each of those games.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:33 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Flyersmania i applaud you for completely ignoring my posts which shows for a factthat Bryz is the problem. Did you even watch the game last night? Anderson let in 4 goals but he stopped 3 times as much dangerous shots in the game than Bryz did yet its the system?

Again: Thats not factoring the last 2 games. His save % is even worse now. How is our defense magically good when Bob is playing but not Bryz? Or maybe the fact of the matter is that bob is doing his job as a goaltender and STONING people? Anderson made about 15 more highlight reel shots and they were one more dangerous chances and he isnt even a top level goalie.
Your thread was ignored bc while u are pretending to substantiate your opinion, you are doing just that by using subjective stats like "more dangerous" shots?" who decided? You? We have had 9 goalies in 4 years and no matter who they are, where they are from or how much they get paid most fans, our own GM and the beat writers consistently blame them. Is it more likely that all of them suck or that our system sucks?

Old
01-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Carle managed to be a -4, while Lilja was +2.
I don't put any weight into +/- at all, but I know there are people who do, so I post it anyway.

Old
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
IMO, Patrick Roy, Lundquist, and Tim Thomas would not have good numbers on the current Flyers team with the current coach's system.
oh how i would be willing to give them a chance, and find out..

Old
n62

Quote:
Sarcasm hopefully.

Last edited by SnS: 01-08-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Took out Flame.
Old
01-08-2012, 08:35 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Agreed

Old
01-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
When we went to the finals we had a more reserved attacking style. We consistently got outshot. Now we have a much more aggressive offense whwere we consistnetly outshoot the opposition. While I think we have the talent to play that way, clearly we are struggling holding leagues. Maybe we can adjust midgame toa comre conservative style , or play this more aggressive style when we have more faith in our team defense.
I think the problem may be the ridiculously quick change in the style we play when we get a lead... we go from all guns to sit there and **** around, don't fore check properly.

We seem to constantly give up a few goals when leading, seemingly due to just sitting back and trying for the break, then as our defense only has 3 real guys who can defend well (Carle has been good recently, but before the last 10 games or so...), we inevitably give one up. Then try to get the cushion again by forcing the play, and either get it or give a goal up.

Maybe I am off base... there is no doubt Lavi is a great coach in my mind. But believe their is a point with maybe the system needing a tweak to what we currently play while leading, though to be honest more to do with saving my sanity with the extra 1-2 goals we always seem to give up!

We don't seem to give up wins that often when leading, just goals that take it from a 2-3 goal game to a 1 goal game... which could indicate that it actually works!

Though think it may have a lot to do with Prongers absence, Lilja being **** and Bordon learning the ropes... plus a less than (inter) 'stellar' Bryz so far.

We do seem to win mainly when we get a lead... up with the best in the league in fact. So maybe the system does work.

Sorry for the meandering on this post. Elijah Craig has got to me a bit!

Old
01-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Jtown

Quote:
So why does Sergei freaking Bobrovsky have good numbers in it?

You guys can continue to ignor emy post but ill just continue to post it:
The sample size for bob and bryz are significantly different. So the statistical difference is not statisically significant.

Old
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Your thread was ignored bc while u are pretending to substantiate your opinion, you are doing just that by using subjective stats like "more dangerous" shots?" who decided? You? We have had 9 goalies in 4 years and no matter who they are, where they are from or how much they get paid most fans, our own GM and the beat writers consistently blame them. Is it more likely that all of them suck or that our system sucks?
Please tell me why there has been a big difference with Bob in net as opposed to Bryzgalov then? PLEASE

Old
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
oh how i would be willing to give them a chance, and find out..

Me too

Old
01-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I think the problem may be the ridiculously quick change in the style we play when we get a lead... we go from all guns to sit there and **** around, don't fore check properly.

We seem to constantly give up a few goals when leading, seemingly due to just sitting back and trying for the break, then as our defense only has 3 real guys who can defend well (Carle has been good recently, but before the last 10 games or so...), we inevitably give one up. Then try to get the cushion again by forcing the play, and either get it or give a goal up.

Maybe I am off base... there is no doubt Lavi is a great coach in my mind. But believe their is a point with maybe the system needing a tweak to what we currently play while leading, though to be honest more to do with saving my sanity with the extra 1-2 goals we always seem to give up!

We don't seem to give up wins that often when leading, just goals that take it from a 2-3 goal game to a 1 goal game... which could indicate that it actually works!

Though think it may have a lot to do with Prongers absence, Lilja being **** and Bordon learning the ropes... plus a less than (inter) 'stellar' Bryz so far.

We do seem to win mainly when we get a lead... up with the best in the league in fact. So maybe the system does work.

Sorry for the meandering on this post. Elijah Craig has got to me a bit!

I dont think we sit back when we get leads, I feel like we are more prone to mistakes when we get leads. Our team can really score and sometimes that scoring mentality can be infectious( just my personal experience from playing sports like soccer) you become so consumed with scoring you neglect your other responsibilities and may bet out of position.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:40 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by n62 View Post
Sarcasm hopefully.
You are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine.

Last edited by SnS: 01-08-2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Editted post.
Old
01-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Appleyard

I would really love a type of shot sv % for careers and seasons for top keepers in league. Just to see if their is a difference between Bryz and other 'elite' guys, and if it was the system that made shots more frequent, but more bad shots... hence a better sv%.

Remember one in the Hockey News a few years ago and Lundquist, Thomas and Hiller seemed to have average on outside and point shots, and ridiculous ones from shots from the hash marks inwards, while Bryz and Mason (who was playing well at the time) had the top in the league from point and outside shots, but were not in top 20 for hashes in.

Maybe this was to do with the system. I would just love to analyse such stats... even though they are hard to compile and cannot give a full view of what way the keepers were scored on, over a big enough sample size there could be something in it.

If there was some correlation it could indicate if it is the system or if Bryz is just off his game.

As he defo is not just a bad keeper... no bad goalie puts up such good stats for so long.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:45 PM
Jtown

Quote:
100 percent accurate.

for instance just look at Tim thomas and Rask. the same team the same exact save percentage. Its the team not just the goalies.

I find it more believeable that Bryz went from a Consitent 920 sv percentage goalie with a more defenseve minded team to what we are seeing now, Then Bryz having the worst stetch of his career.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:45 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Please tell me why there has been a big difference with Bob in net as opposed to Bryzgalov then? PLEASE
Because the statistical difference is irrelevant. Did you just see us play emery, chiacgo's backup. How good WERE his numbers before we played him? Not to mention he made adequate saves to have a good % but he let in some bad goals. Just like bob had an adequate save percentage in the winter classic but does that mean he didn't let in two softies? Percentages for backups don't tell the whole story.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:46 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
I wholeheartedly disagree. Example: Lundqvist stones Briere on the biggest stage of the regular season to secure his team a huge win while Bryz lets in 3 straight shootout attempts. Not every goal Bryz lets in is his fault, but damn it we've all seen him let in awful goals game in and game out. In addition, Homer shouldn't have to put together the league's best defense for this guy(FYI, the Flyers had the highest paid defense before Pronger went out). He's paid top dollar to be able to bail out his defense and steal wins. In today's game, I don't blame Bryzgalov for any of the first three goals. They weren't his fault. However, because he just can't get through a game without letting in a stinker, he goes full-Leighton on us and gives Karlssson the game-changing goal.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:46 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
100 percent accurate.

for instance just look at Tim thomas and Rask. the same team the same exact save percentage. Its the team not just the goalies.

I find it more believeable that Bryz went from a Consitent 920 sv percentage goalie with a more defenseve minded team to what we are seeing now, Then Bryz having the worst stetch of his career.
Amen...I am proud to be a flyers fan when I read posts like this. I am sick of the fan mentality thinking all goalies are the problem. Our system is the problem.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:47 PM
lancer247

I do think the Flyers play a more sound def style or less aggressive, which ever you want to call it, when Bob is in net most times. I think it is a combination of both missing a physical presence like Pronger and B ryz not playing his A game. Just when it lookls like he might get some momentum going there is a goal like the one off of carles's stick that opens the flood gates.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:47 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I would really love a type of shot sv % for careers and seasons for top keepers in league. Just to see if their is a difference between Bryz and other 'elite' guys, and if it was the system that made shots more frequent, but more bad shots... hence a better sv%.

Remember one in the Hockey News a few years ago and Lundquist, Thomas and Hiller seemed to have average on outside and point shots, and ridiculous ones from shots from the hash marks inwards, while Bryz and Mason (who was playing well at the time) had the top in the league from point and outside shots, but were not in top 20 for hashes in.

Maybe this was to do with the system. I would just love to analyse such stats... even though they are hard to compile and cannot give a full view of what way the keepers were scored on, over a big enough sample size there could be something in it.

If there was some correlation it could indicate if it is the system or if Bryz is just off his game.

As he defo is not just a bad keeper... no bad goalie puts up such good stats for so long.
But here, you only use a 25 game sample and ignore all previous numbers and whine and cry that we are screwed for 8.5 years and completely ignore all other problems.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Worst game by G in a while and a -3 to show for it.
Honestly, where was he tonight? Hoping this is just an Ottawa thing. Really want him to get back on his point streak...

Old
01-08-2012, 08:54 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree. Example: Lundqvist stones Briere on the biggest stage of the regular season to secure his team a huge win while Bryz lets in 3 straight shootout attempts. Not every goal Bryz lets in is his fault, but damn it we've all seen him let in awful goals game in and game out. In addition, Homer shouldn't have to put together the league's best defense for this guy(FYI, the Flyers had the highest paid defense before Pronger went out). He's paid top dollar to be able to bail out his defense and steal wins. In today's game, I don't blame Bryzgalov for any of the first three goals. They weren't his fault. However, because he just can't get through a game without letting in a stinker, he goes full-Leighton on us and gives Karlssson the game-changing goal.
I am sorry, I can't accept this as a sound argument.

I am not defending Bryz, but the team's play and the coache's system have to adapt to the current personnel- inexperienced players, HORRIBLE defence, and, yes, not a stellar goaltending.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Amen...I am proud to be a flyers fan when I read posts like this. I am sick of the fan mentality thinking all goalies are the problem. Our system is the problem.
Mike smith had a .899% with the Lightning last year and a .900% the year before and now his first year in phoenix he's at a .922%,which is currently higher than any % Bryzgalov has had in any given year in Phoenix while phoenix defense has been worst this year than previous years. I'm just saying...
Lets just fire Laviollette and Holgrem and whoever else and start trapping like Minnesota.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:56 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
I am sorry, I can't accept this as a sound argument.

I am not defending Bryz, but the team's play and the coache's system have to adapt to the current personnel- inexperienced players, HORRIBLE defence, and, yes, not a stellar goaltending.
Just what sort of system do you suggest?

Old
01-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Unstable

This team routinely runs out of gas in the third in back to back games.

Conditioning is the coach's responsibility.

Closed Thread