HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix XLI: Bongo Fury

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Niagara67

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Mass View Post
Are there any indications preparations are being made in Québec? How close is The Colisée to being game ready?
About as ready as the Cow Palace in San Francisco in 1991, or the Greensboro Coliseum in 1997. Doesn't really matter for Season 1. The original Nordiques moved to Denver by stagecoach overnight.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
It always looks very bad for Phoenix in the Canadian media. I remember how the Canadian media was celebrating the return of the NHL to Hamilton for the upcoming 2010 season. It rivaled the celebrations for the new millennium.

Canadian media hates the thought of "their game" in the desert, while there are "more deserving" communities back in Canada. They exhibit 3rd world journalism at its worst, so don't count on hearing objective news about the Coyotes from Le Soleil.
It's not the Canadian media that's creating the monetary loses for the team. It's the fact that the franchise has failed in the Phoenix market.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Canadian media hates the thought of "their game" in the desert, while there are "more deserving" communities back in Canada. They exhibit 3rd world journalism at its worst, so don't count on hearing objective news about the Coyotes from Le Soleil.
Not sure about Le Soleil, but you sure seem prone to reliance upon straw man arguments regarding the Canadian media by often assigning a singular goal to a wide ranging field. The Canadian media covering the NHL consists of a wide range of sports and business journalists in the television, print, and radio fields. None read from the same script though you'd have us believe they do. By and large only in the Canadian media though will you find rational financial analysis of the benefits to the NHL of relocating certain struggling US franchises to more lucrative locales.

There doesn't seem to be a want to relocate all or even a large percentage of the struggling US franchises, only those very few that are clearly failing to make the grade relative to others. If rational analysis of one market versus another represents third world journalism in your view, then I'll take that over your local option that simply parrots the view of those with little to no connections to the league whatsoever. It won't be the Canadian media's fault if Phoenix or another franchise moves north but rather the fault of that local market itself.

Old
01-08-2012, 12:31 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

That article is a good read. Lots of interesting quotes from the Mayor in there.

Quote:
"For many reasons I will not elaborate, I am less confident," said Mayor Elaine Scruggs in a telephone interview with the Sun.
Quote:
"I tried to call (Jamison) and I never had a return call. As for the other group, led by the owner of the Bulls and Chicago White Sox Jerry Reinsdorf and lawyer John Kaites, I have not tried to contact them, "she says.
Quote:
"We, the Glendale City Council, may consider a proposal as the best for us, but it may be that the NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is not the same opinion," she said, refusing, however, confirm that the NHL has favored the latter.
Quote:
"Our goal for us is to find a permanent tenant in the Jobing.com Arena at a cost that the City of Glendale can afford. On the side of Mr. Bettman's goal is to make as much money as possible for the NHL. There are different factors that come into play for each of us, and I wonder if we will ever come together somewhere, "she says.

Old
01-08-2012, 01:10 PM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Quote:
It always looks very bad for Phoenix in the Canadian media. I remember how the Canadian media was celebrating the return of the NHL to Hamilton for the upcoming 2010 season. It rivaled the celebrations for the new millennium.

Shoot the messenger when you don't like the message, eh?

Old
01-08-2012, 02:07 PM
dronald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix78 View Post
It is an interview with the mayor
It sounds bad because of what SHE says...

This is not an "editorial" from a canadien writer, so I think you are wrong here.
The Canadian media tricked her! Dhey evil!

Old
01-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Material Defender

All this Canada/Quebec vs USA/Arizona debate should be put in perspective:

Should Quebec City had a struggling NFL* franchise over the past 16 years, with no media coverage, not enough die-hard fan base and you had lost yours and were looking to get another one, what would you say about all this? It's not about trolling anyone but more about passion for this game.

*What ever pro team you prefer.

Old
01-08-2012, 03:17 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara67 View Post
About as ready as the Cow Palace in San Francisco in 1991, or the Greensboro Coliseum in 1997. Doesn't really matter for Season 1. The original Nordiques moved to Denver by stagecoach overnight.
Still, you'd figure there'd be some rumors about construction to Le Colisee to bring it up to current NHL standards.

For an entire year before the 1st attempt to buy the Coyotes, there were rumors that the MTS Centre was making upgrades to the pressbox, lighting, etc. in anticipation of the NHL.

When that happens (or maybe it's already happening and we just haven't heard about it), that's when I'll say the Coyotes to Quebec City is all but certain.

Old
01-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Material Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Still, you'd figure there'd be some rumors about construction to Le Colisee to bring it up to current NHL standards. (...)
Those are not rumors! All of the works planned will be done next spring and are needed (asked) by the Quebec Remparts's GM and coach Patrick Roy for its junior team (major tenant).

Old
01-08-2012, 03:59 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Still, you'd figure there'd be some rumors about construction to Le Colisee to bring it up to current NHL standards.

For an entire year before the 1st attempt to buy the Coyotes, there were rumors that the MTS Centre was making upgrades to the pressbox, lighting, etc. in anticipation of the NHL.
You're forgetting something... unlike MTS Centre, La Colisee actually used to be an NHL arena 15 years ago, so it's already had the upgrades. According to Wikipedia...
Quote:
The building went under major renovations in 1980, raising capacity to 15,750, to meet NHL standards of that era after the Nordiques made the jump from the WHA to the NHL. PepsiCo bought the naming rights on November 18,1999, and current capacity is 15,176.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:08 PM
blues10

Quote:

It is time that Sunnucks, Halverstadt or Gintonio wrote a story about the Coyotes.

I know the information that Halverstadt last wrote about was removed from HF Boards because it wasn't sourced.

The Coyotes beat writer should be all over this story.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:28 PM
SilverPlaqueVII

Send a message via MSN to SilverPlaqueVII Send a message via Skype™ to SilverPlaqueVII
Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
You're forgetting something... unlike MTS Centre, La Colisee actually used to be an NHL arena 15 years ago, so it's already had the upgrades. According to Wikipedia...
Now the Colisee is still NHL ready. Scotiabank Place already had their HD boards upgraded so it's possible to do so.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:09 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I thought that it was interesting that Scruggs implied that the COG would prefer Jamison, while the NHL seemed to be pulling for Kaites-Reinsdorf. It seems that this has been the case for a long time. Kaites-Reinsdorf seem to be proposing deals to the COG that are unpalatable, which is why they have continued to pursue much less solid ownership groups (such as IEH and Hulsizer).
Dunno Whileee...

Could be something as simple as Scruggs preferring someone who's been entrenched in the NHL versus someone who isn't.

On another note.... I see the imaginations are running amok again here.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:14 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAROONSRoad View Post
Shoot the messenger when you don't like the message, eh?
No Ghost.... Scott was just pointing out the obvious.

In fairness though, I've seen several objective pieces written over the past three years come out of the "Great White Northern Press".

It's just a few "media trolls" who ruin it for the rest of them.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:16 PM
NODLR
The Dog House

vCash: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koss View Post
It's not the Canadian media that's creating the monetary loses for the team. It's the fact that the franchise has failed in the Phoenix market.
I think the market (or lack there of) has failed the franchise.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:31 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenry30 View Post
So here's a snapshot from southern Arizona. Tonight the Coyotes had a great game, beat the Islanders 5-1 and Shane Done got his first career hat trick. I turned on my local news to see if they showed highlights, or even mentioned that the game occurred.

Let's see, we got detailed coverage of both NFL playoff games and more detailed coverage of University of Arizona basketball, football and even baseball programs...plus high school b-ball...but no Coyotes. I ended up watching both local NBC and CBS news.

I know it's probably sounds like we're beating a dead horse but the bottom line is the demand for ice hockey does not exist in this market. Time to move it where the demand exists.
I'm presuming "local" means Tucson, right?

Why am I not surprised they wouldn't care?

Kinda hard to beat a dead horse from 100+ or so miles away, doncha think?? I guess if they were the Tucson Coyotes it would be another matter.

BTW.... Shane DOAN scored the hat trick. Dunno who this Shane Done guy is.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Matrix78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Material Defender View Post
Those are not rumors! All of the works planned will be done next spring and are needed (asked) by the Quebec Remparts's GM and coach Patrick Roy for its junior team (major tenant).
In fact, some works will be done, but some others won't happen until there is a confirmation that a team is coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorthern knight View Post
...and the Colisée has had major upgrades in 2008 for the "Ice Hockey World Championships".

Old
01-08-2012, 07:42 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Material Defender View Post
All this Canada/Quebec vs USA/Arizona debate should be put in perspective:

Should Quebec City had a struggling NFL* franchise over the past 16 years, with no media coverage, not enough die-hard fan base and you had lost yours and were looking to get another one, what would you say about all this? It's not about trolling anyone but more about passion for this game.

*What ever pro team you prefer.
How many Americans/Baseball fans were clamouring at the idea of getting America's pastime (baseball) out of Montreal when things seemed bleak there? The Expos had little fan support, no TV deal, and were bleeding money.

That's a pretty good comparison if you ask me.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Dunno Whileee...

Could be something as simple as Scruggs preferring someone who's been entrenched in the NHL versus someone who isn't.

On another note.... I see the imaginations are running amok again here.
Actually, it appears to the opposite. We are only presuming that the NHL considers Jamison to be "entrenched". Perhaps that is not the case, privately. Meanwhile, it has been clear for some time that the NHL has an entrenched interest in Reinsdorf, and the COG seems to continue to seek deals with other groups. So there is at least some indication that they are not on the same page. I remember when COG signed an exclusive negotiating agreement with IEH and Reinsdorf bowed out in June 2010; Bettman and the NHL reacted as though they were rather ticked and uninterested in the COG negotiations with IEH. By September the IEH bid had fallen to pieces and they moved on to Hulsizer, who appears to have the same problem; his ambition exceeds his grasp.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koss View Post
I really hate how people often equate a management failure with market failure. The Vancouver Grizzlies were run into the ground, and then moved to Memphis. Now people talk about how Vancouver is failed basketball market. The Coyotes have a similar story. Their first five years in Phoenix were pretty good, but then they were run into the ground for eight years, during which they moved to Glendale, which would be like the Canucks playing in Abbotsford. They had a succession of poor Owners (Richard Burke, Steve Ellman, Jerry Moyes), poor General Managers (Bobby Smith, Cliff Fletcher, Mike Barnett), some fantastic Head Coaches (Don Hay, Bob Francis, Dave Tippett), and arguably the worst Head Coach in history (Wayne Gretzky). Ironically, had they not had such fine coaches, they probably would have drafted higher, and thus, might have done better.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:43 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Close enough. Done.

Next: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1072841

Closed Thread