HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#40|Jan. 8, 2012|Flyers at Senators |5:00 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
does anybody know what the official number of turnovers tonight? and the average turnovers per game this season?
1) I dont know

2) Whatever the answer to #1 is, you can probably double it.

01-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
Our defense sucks without Pronger, that much we can see. So unless the management gets someone else in here to help Kimmo out, we won't win anything at all. Lilja and Bourdon are freaking awful. If they think Gus is so good, then get him up here because #43 is costing us games. And waive #6 or trade him. We need another veteran leader on our defense or we aren't doing anything this year even with our 8 double digit scorers and Bryz if he bounces back.
If our defense sucks how come we are paying so much money to 6.3 to Timmonen, 4M to Mesz, 3.5M to Carle and just ressign Coburn?

Old
01-08-2012, 08:33 PM
kimmofan44

thats the problem beef. turnovers, lack of quality defensman and loss of focus. fix these and the goaltender is bound to have an awesome year. look at the d pairings we had in front of marty biron when we almost went to the finals and then look at them the following year. everybody blamed marty but our d went from shut down one year and then mediocre the next. defense makes all the difference in a goalies success.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:35 PM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
If our defense sucks how come we are paying so much money to 6.3 to Timmonen, 4M to Mesz, 3.5M to Carle and just ressign Coburn?
kimmo coburn and mez aren't the problem but thats only 1 half of the d.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Ryker

Well, NHL.com has us at 5 giveaways and 12 takeaways by Ottawa (compared to their 13 giveaways and our 14 takeaways).

Old
01-08-2012, 08:38 PM
kimmofan44

that seems low i counted 6 turnovers in the last 4 minutes of the game alone

Old
01-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Totally Radivojevic

I don't think it's so much turnovers as it is too many questionable pinches by our d-men leading to odd man rushes.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:39 PM
mirimon

NHL.com only registered us for 5 giveaways I believe, but I think the stat keeper must have fallen asleep after the first ten minutes. 12 takeaways by the Sens as well.

We have been registered for 296 giveaways so far this season. LA leads the way with 455, while Columbus only has 204.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:43 PM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink the Clown View Post
I don't think it's so much turnovers as it is too many questionable pinches by our d-men leading to odd man rushes.
agreed, bourdon had a horrible pinch today that led to that 3 on 1.not to mention carle scoring on his own goaltender.... we need one more good d man to pair with mez and to bring gus up. then if bryz still lets up 4 goals consistantly i'll start blaming bryz. until then i can't pin it on a goalie when he has inconsistant team d played in front of him.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:46 PM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
NHL.com only registered us for 5 giveaways I believe, but I think the stat keeper must have fallen asleep after the first ten minutes. 12 takeaways by the Sens as well.

We have been registered for 296 giveaways so far this season. LA leads the way with 455, while Columbus only has 204.
that means we average 12 or 14 giveaways a game.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:50 PM
decadentia

The question i've been kind of asking myself...is it purely the system or degraded defensive forward group (along with Pronger).

Think 2 seasons ago, Boucher/Emery/Leighton all had semi respectable numbers, and it was quite evident at the time that our team was bailing out our goalies...especially on rebounds. I honestly don't remember the teams style back then, but our game/system must have changed since then, no? It doesn't seem as if we're giving our goaltender as much of a chance as we used to, I remember the team playing quite fiercely in front of those goalies. Hell, they even managed to work with Leighton's huge rebounds for most of the season/playoffs.

So...is it because there is a different mindset in the locker room? Less accountability among the team for the goalies shortcomings? Lavi changed up his gameplan? I think maybe thats part of it, though personally I would think all of the forwards we've lost is also a huge influence.

It's very frustrating to watch though. I feel as if we're some neo-Washington, blazing offense and a complete mess in our own zone.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Ryker

Quote:
What the...? It means we average 7.4 giveaways per game.

Old
01-08-2012, 08:56 PM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
What the...? It means we average 7.4 giveaways per game.
wowi messed that math up super bad. my 4th grade teacher would have slapped me

Old
01-08-2012, 09:00 PM
mirimon

Quote:
I think it's a more or less unofficial stat though. Like the one for hits. It's not being kept by some official NHL representative, but by the different teams/arenas or something like that.

If you wanna win a bet, try to get some sucker to have a bet with, on which team will have the most registered hits after a season is done. If you pick NYR I think you'll have more than a 50% chance. There's always a lot of hits registered in their home games. Dallas and LA are good options if you want to hedge your bet, I believe.

Edit: and I'm apparently too tired to even attempt to do any math...

Old
01-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

missed the game. Did Bryz blow it?

Old
01-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
He gave up a soft goal but just one.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoneyflyguy View Post
Nope. Apparently he never does. Its our system.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Daishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
This is a trend at hfboards currently. Apparently noone gets credit or discredit over anything anymore. It's always the system that caused it.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:22 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I would like to thank you for saying this. I was getting tired of reading the same thing every game where Breezy gives up 4+ goals but it's never his fault. But he gives up 2 or less, its because he played well. Giving up three is split evenly.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:29 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
It was our coach

Old
01-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
thats the problem beef. turnovers, lack of quality defensman and loss of focus. fix these and the goaltender is bound to have an awesome year. look at the d pairings we had in front of marty biron when we almost went to the finals and then look at them the following year. everybody blamed marty but our d went from shut down one year and then mediocre the next. defense makes all the difference in a goalies success.
Thank you. I always state this is the reason for Brodeur's gaudy numbers and success. How many Cups have been won since Stevens, Niedermayer, Rafalski and Daneyko have departed? (Sorry, Brodeur is to me what Pink Panther Inspector Clouseau is to Commissioner Dreyfus).

You can even go back to Robert Esche for us and how good defensively those teams were. Look at his numbers, they were fantastic.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Dear god.. How the hell did we lose this?
Had to leave when it was 4-2 and came home just now and saw it was 6-4

Old
01-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daishi View Post
This is a trend at hfboards currently. Apparently noone gets credit or discredit over anything anymore. It's always the system that caused it.
unless your name is Leighton. he was always at fault according to most here...

Old
01-08-2012, 10:07 PM
coladin

vCash: 1413
I'm a Sens fan, but I think you guys are overreacting a little bit. Our announcers stated that Philly is 19-1-1 when leading after the 2nd and the Classic was the first loss? I think Philly has sealed the deal quite well this year.

Ottawa has a reputation of being a strong 3rd period team which showed tonight. I think Bryz's goal to Karlsson was as bad as Bourdon's goal.

Too many turnovers which was evident the last game as well, which is either shoddy defensive play or Ottawa forcing turnovers...or a little of both.

I don't see anyone in the East that is running away with anything. I am not convinced of the Rangers at all and think that there is only Boston and everyone else right now, maybe a 2nd tier of Philly , NYR and then the rest. Anderson made some amazing saves, some lucky ones too. If you were expecting the team that got pumped 7-2 then you haven't been paying attention.

Philly is going to be good for a long time with guys like Schenn, Couturier but need some more depth at D. Homlgren is a smart guy, he will find someone to play defense. I really enjoy Ottawa-Philly and like your team, outside of Briere and Simmonds is underrated.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:21 PM
PhillyFlying

3rd blown 2-goal lead in the last 4 games.

Closed Thread