HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Blues vs. Habs

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 05:35 PM
AntonCH

vCash: 500
In sports its pretty straightforward; you're either part of the solution or part of the problem. You're on the winning or on the losing side. No in-betweens.
Before or after the game i'll tip my hat in respect to Halak and what he's done; but during the game I'm more apt to give him the gears - boos taunts or anything else that can help the Habs win, anything else is nonsensical.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
I'm ok with that, what kinda bugs me is the way some of you get defensive for no reason. You start defending him before anyone offended him.
pretty sure when someone says that that habs are facing the best goalie in the game referring to a goalie we used to have is a slap in the face for Carey. He has carried this team more than Halak would have. wow one big playoff run and since then he has been nothing but average. As of now though he is hot but he will come back down to earth yet again. I would put money on it.

Frankly I am tired of people still talking about price vs halak its annoying. People hold on to things like an ex girlfriend. Guess we should hate that we got Eller too right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
sorry, I should have clarified. why do people think price is the one of the leagues best goalies, and when I expect more out of him, people take it is criticism?

theodore was great here and I was shocked they traded him; however, theodore isn't playing the habs tuesday and he also didn't play with price here.

What cammalleri did was impressive, no doubt.
He's one of the best goalies in the league because he plays on one of the worst teams in the league and keeps them in games. If he played on Boston or Vancouver he would be on the brink of breaking records. Give the guy credit. If you put price on St. Louis and Halak on MTL I bet the habs would be in worse shape than they are now while price would be lighting it up. Its all hypothetical though and only my opinion. But seriously give price some damn credit

Last edited by Habsfan18: 01-08-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: merge
Old
01-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Price is the player on the Habs that has the most to lose with the coaching change.

Leaving a defensive system where the wingers come back really low and keep the shots outside the central perimeter is an adjustment... The forwards suffer under JM but he's made his goalies look really good.

Price will now sometimes face less shots but more difficult shots... It's his time to really show his mettle...

Old
01-08-2012, 06:01 PM
habtastic

He's one of the best goalies in the league. It's freaking obvious. If you disagree, you should join Mike Milbury's club for evaluating talent.

Before I was like "Oh, will be nice to see Halak"

after all the Price dissent (and yeah, it's there)

I'm like "8-0 Habs. Do it!"

Old
01-08-2012, 06:18 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
He's one of the best goalies in the league because he plays on one of the worst teams in the league and keeps them in games. If he played on Boston or Vancouver he would be on the brink of breaking records. Give the guy credit. If you put price on St. Louis and Halak on MTL I bet the habs would be in worse shape than they are now while price would be lighting it up. Its all hypothetical though and only my opinion. But seriously give price some damn credit
Yes, he is good, at no point I said he sucks. My expectations are very high for carey; I expect him to be top 5 in the league, no matter the habs record. I don't think he is right now, but that's okay, and I'm fine with that. However, when I don't think he's met these expectations, I will say it, I honestly don't think halak is the best goalie in the league, not even on the same level with carey because he seems to play every game.

all that being said, when halak was here, I thought they were on the same level and was indifferent on the choice between price and halak. the habs made their choice, I was fine with it, was excited about eller, still am, but like i say, my expectations for Price are high.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:22 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Yes, he is good, at no point I said he sucks. My expectations are very high for carey; I expect him to be top 5 in the league, no matter the habs record. I don't think he is right now, but that's okay, and I'm fine with that. However, when I don't think he's met these expectations, I will say it, I honestly don't think halak is the best goalie in the league, not even on the same level with carey because he seems to play every game.

all that being said, when halak was here, I thought they were on the same level and was indifferent on the choice between price and halak. the habs made their choice, I was fine with it, was excited about eller, still am, but like i say, my expectations for Price are high.

can you speculate about his hypothetical performances if the team in front of him didn't suck in the first half? I can count the bad goals on one hand. I don't get what more you expect out of him. In a world where we could actually score, he has stolen multiple games for us.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:31 PM
oleHABSole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
You have to love Halak.

He gave Montreal one of the all-time goaltender PO performances and killed off the Caps and Pens.

He remained humble throughout.

All you can do is wish him he the very best in hockey and in life.
GET OVER IT! Martins style kept everything to the outside and Halak was a rebound machine, Cammalleri and Gionta was the reason why we made it to the Conference Finals. Cammalleri finished with the most goals and played 1 less round. What did Halak do against Philly when facing avgerage of 25 shots a game? Halak was 9-0 that regualr season when facing 40+ shots, Caps and Pens really screwed themselves by throwing the puck on net and getting Halak going with some easy saves, don't get me wrong he played well and made big saves but nothing special...

Old
01-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
can you speculate about his hypothetical performances if the team in front of him didn't suck in the first half? I can count the bad goals on one hand. I don't get what more you expect out of him. In a world where we could actually score, he has stolen multiple games for us.
I don't know what to say, I just don't think he's been that good. i watch him play, I'm not impressed. he's doing a decent job, but I'm not like, wow, I'm so glad we have price out there to stop us from losing 6-1 every game. god damn, we're extremly lucky to only be losing 4-1 every night.

We were just as bad before, both with halak and theodore, but they seemed to elevate their games and steal more. If price plays above average it's all about how he stole the game, honestly, that's what I expect. maybe I've been spoiled? but I think huet, halak and theodore have all done fine jobs for the habs. I don't think price is that much better and playing any better than those guys. stealing a game is winning 2-1 with 40 plus saves and a ton of highlite real saves. I remember all 3 doing that, seemingly every night. price plays lights out every 3-4 games and people are content. I'm not. He should have the ability to be like a Miller in Buffalo was a couple years ago, go out there and own the rink, he doesn't own it, still a boy playing a man's game.

it's why I 'm excited about what he can bring, but he's not there, yet.

I won't be able to change your mind and you won't be able to change mine.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLERCOPTER View Post
GET OVER IT! Martins style kept everything to the outside and Halak was a rebound machine, Cammalleri and Gionta was the reason why we made it to the Conference Finals. Cammalleri finished with the most goals and played 1 less round. What did Halak do against Philly when facing avgerage of 25 shots a game? Halak was 9-0 that regualr season when facing 40+ shots, Caps and Pens really screwed themselves by throwing the puck on net and getting Halak going with some easy saves, don't get me wrong he played well and made big saves but nothing special...
JM's system really made Halak look good. His number dropped when he went to St-Louis. Same thing happened to Damian Rhodes when he moved from Ottawa to Atlanta... JM made Patrick Lalime look like a solid NHL Goalie. Ron Tugnutt had his best year under JM and Vokoun looked best when he was playing in Florida...

What goes for Halak goes for Price also. I'm very interested to see how Price will withstand shots coming from new angles and having less structured defensive patterns unfolding in front of him.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
JM's system really made Halak look good. His number dropped when he went to St-Louis. Same thing happened to Damian Rhodes when he moved from Ottawa to Atlanta... JM made Patrick Lalime look like a solid NHL Goalie. Ron Tugnutt had his best year under JM and Vokoun looked best when he was playing in Florida...

What goes for Halak goes for Price also. I'm very interested to see how Price will withstand shots coming from new angles and having less structured defensive patterns unfolding in front of him.
halak also played well under gainey and carbo. He's just settling in, he's not a top 5 goalie, consistently, but if he gets hot he can win it all, and that's all you really need.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Quote:
halak also played well under gainey and carbo. He's just settling in, he's not a top 5 goalie, consistently, but if he gets hot he can win it all, and that's all you really need.
Halak's save % is substantially the same in St-Louis as it was under Gainey/Carbo. He was outstanding under JM.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:53 PM
neofury*

LOL some of the Price bashers in this thread are saying lol-worthy things. A "coward"? Hahahahaha omg

Old
01-08-2012, 06:54 PM
habtastic

Quote:
I don't know what to say, I just don't think he's been that good. i watch him play, I'm not impressed. he's doing a decent job, but I'm not like, wow, I'm so glad we have price out there to stop us from losing 6-1 every game. god damn, we're extremly lucky to only be losing 4-1 every night.

We were just as bad before, both with halak and theodore, but they seemed to elevate their games and steal more. If price plays above average it's all about how he stole the game, honestly, that's what I expect. maybe I've been spoiled? but I think huet, halak and theodore have all done fine jobs for the habs. I don't think price is that much better and playing any better than those guys. stealing a game is winning 2-1 with 40 plus saves and a ton of highlite real saves. I remember all 3 doing that, seemingly every night. price plays lights out every 3-4 games and people are content. I'm not. He should have the ability to be like a Miller in Buffalo was a couple years ago, go out there and own the rink, he doesn't own it, still a boy playing a man's game.

it's why I 'm excited about what he can bring, but he's not there, yet.

I won't be able to change your mind and you won't be able to change mine.
He's made a lot of difficult saves look easy. Not bashing Halak but I think when he makes routine saves look hard it biases the evaluation. The games have gotten out of hand due to absolute SHIIIITE coverage. We've lost a lot of one goal games, right? We couldn't tie? We would never be close to being within a goal (or taking it to the inevitable OTL) if it wasn't for him keeping us in the game with literally highlight reel saves and again, many that just LOOK easy, but are not. I don't think any goalie in the league plays like this every night:

"stealing a game is winning 2-1 with 40 plus saves and a ton of highlite real saves."

Usually it's being solid. That's what makes a great goalie. Anyway, a whole rest of the season for him to bail us out of being put in a horrible on-ice situation and let's not forget he's the best at getting the puck out on the PK.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:57 PM
AntonCH

Perspective:

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/gagnon...s-pour-la-vie/

this is a game, enjoy it as such

Old
01-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
LOL The Halak fans are hilarious in this thread.

Price is the main reason we are not last in the East this year.
I'm a Halak fan, and a Price fan, and that statement is just untrue.

Carey Price is a big reason why we are where we are in the standings, but not for keeping us out of the basement. He's been just as poor at times as the rest of the team.

You can be a fan, and be objective.

I didn't like the Halak trade at the time - I love it now. Take that for what its worth.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:19 PM
ComradeRuskie

Can people stop arguing/fighting about Price and Halak? It was two years ago and it pisses people off for nothing. Let it rest.

My question is this:

Let's say Halak plays good.

What do you think the Habs will have to do to beat the Blues? I know that in the last two years Habs have lost against them.

Old
01-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Frank Drebin

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLERCOPTER View Post
Yeah get over it. Halak was a rebound machine, and Cammaleri and Gionta were the reason we made it to the Conference finals.

He played well and made some big saves but nothing special...

----------------------

Is this for real^^^?

Old
01-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRuskie View Post
Can people stop arguing/fighting about Price and Halak? It was two years ago and it pisses people off for nothing. Let it rest.

My question is this:

Let's say Halak plays good.

What do you think the Habs will have to do to beat the Blues? I know that in the last two years Habs have lost against them.
They'll pick up huge rebounds and put them in the net, I guess?

Old
01-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Some of our fans are so sensitive towards Price, it's hilarious.
It's certainly amusing, and predictable, every time.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:06 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
It's certainly amusing, and predictable, every time.
It's quite ironic too when you think about how 95% of fans reacted when he was drafted.

But that's how it always was here. Say a positive thing about Halak and it was automatically considered you were a hater and flaming Price, which is the furthest thing from the truth.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:13 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

French Habs 3
Kaberle
Cammalleri
Moen

St Louis Blues 2
Pietrangelo
Stewart

Old
01-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post

French Habs 3
Kaberle
Cammalleri
Moen

St Louis Blues 2
Pietrangelo
Stewart
Haha, I was coming here to post this video... Man those people make no sense. They don't even realize he's making fun of them

Old
01-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

All the talk is about halak, but I imagine eller is going to be pumped for this one too

Old
01-09-2012, 09:14 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
All the talk is about halak, but I imagine eller is going to be pumped for this one too
Eller with 3 goals in the first period out of only 9 shots total. Halak to be pulled.

Habs lose game 4-3 in OT

Old
01-09-2012, 09:29 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Perspective:

http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/gagnon...s-pour-la-vie/

this is a game, enjoy it as such
Awesome, way to go Carey!