HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings shot charts from the last 23 or so games

Old
01-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
It's hard with Boston because they have been getting huge leads. It's a different game when you are up by 3 or 4 goals.

What about SJ?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:05 PM
The VEGASKING
#1 fan

Send a message via AIM to The VEGASKING Send a message via Yahoo to The VEGASKING
This is exactly why I hate how much emphasis Bob & Jim put on shot totals during the broadcasts. Getting 35 or 40 shots means nothing when almost all of them come from the perimeter unless the goalie is having a bad night.

The VEGASKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:09 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
It's hard with Boston because they have been getting huge leads. It's a different game when you are up by 3 or 4 goals.

What about SJ?
Last 10 games on SJ,

1-7-12 WAS 2 SJ 5

WAS had 6 shots in the house
SJ had 13 shots in the house

1-5-12 CBS 1 SJ 2

CBS had 14 shots in the house
SJ had 25 shots in the house

1-4-12 ANA 1 SJ 3

ANA had 14 shots in the house
SJ had 16 shots in the house

1-2-12 VAN 2 SJ 3

VAN had 17 shots in the house
SJ had 15 shots in the house

12-28-11 VAN 3 SJ 2

VAN had 6 shots in the house
SJ had 6 shots in the house

12-26-11 ANA 3 SJ 2

ANA had 13 shots in the house
SJ had 16 shots in the house

Dec 23rd 2011, SJ 2 LA 1

SJ had 14 shots from the house
LA had 9 shots from the house

12-21-11 TB 2 SJ 7

TB had 13 shots from the house
SJ had 20 shots from the house

12-17-11 EDM 2 SJ 3

EDM had 12 shots from the house
SJ had 16 shots from the house

12-15-11 COL 4 SJ 5

COL had 11 shots from the house
SJ had 17 shots from the house,

SJ had a 10 game average of 15.8 shots from the house,

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:52 PM
damacles1156

Sydor, thanks for all the hard work on the Shot chart.

It seems like the Kings are just not willing to (pay the price for going to the House consistently).

Hopefully Sutter has seen a similar chart, and tries to correct the issue.

Kudos Sydor, love the charts.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:18 AM
Dropdapuck

The thing that is most troubling for me about this analysis is that the team is likely to be seeing some trades in the near future. If the players are under performing due primarily to system issues and it does look like that's the case, then our players are going to be significantly under valued as well. It's hard enough building system depth under normal conditions. This could set the organization back quite a bit.

And DL has clearly signaled that he believes our problem is on the shoulders of the players, a character issue, and not with the system or the former coach. How could he not see that it was way past time for TM to go? I would like to know how it was decided to keep the assistant coaches. But I'm probably at the point anyway in no longer trusting Lombardi.

Dropdapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:23 AM
Fishhead

I just showed this to my wife, thanks.

The last couple games I've been standing up pointing at the center of the ice, yelling loudly. Especially on replays. A lot of it is gibberish to her, but this showed her perfectly what I was pissed about.

The breakout is much better lately, the defense and goaltending are obviously solid. Now lets fix this and get on with the winning.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:53 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropdapuck View Post
The thing that is most troubling for me about this analysis is that the team is likely to be seeing some trades in the near future. If the players are under performing due primarily to system issues and it does look like that's the case, then our players are going to be significantly under valued as well. It's hard enough building system depth under normal conditions. This could set the organization back quite a bit.
Not just that, but even worse is the fact that in all likelihood, new players won't fix anything.

It's why I've been harping away against trading for a guy like Nash. If our goalscoring problem is an issue with the system we play, it doesn't matter who we bring in, it's not going to change anything. We'll still score two goals or less in a game, and we'll just have given up a bunch of assets to fix nothing.

Sutter's had 10 games or so to impliment his sytem and we still aren't scoring. Enough is enough, time to start seeing some results. Yes, the wins are good, but we can't honestly expect our defense and goaltending to limit the other team to one or zero goals per game.

It's like they are playing a long drawn out version of "last goal wins" out there.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:16 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
I just showed this to my wife, thanks.

The last couple games I've been standing up pointing at the center of the ice, yelling loudly. Especially on replays. A lot of it is gibberish to her, but this showed her perfectly what I was pissed about.

The breakout is much better lately, the defense and goaltending are obviously solid. Now lets fix this and get on with the winning.
perhaps i need to do this also. i gave her a 5-minute basic breakdown a few weeks back. she asked about positioning, shots, etc. i froze a game on screen and was diagraming it out for her on the TV. she left with look of confusion and realized she asked for to much in one sitting.

its not just a system issue. more than anything it is a mindset. for years DL has talked about player types/personalities and if they fit within the culture. one 'trait' that has obviously been overlooked and not preached is desire. a player with a strong desire WILL drive the slot/house area, knowing they will take a hit/slash/cross check/etc. it is the price you MUST pay to score. players that constantly sit outside and shoot because they don't want to pay this price have problems scoring consistently. simply because they keep putting up low percentage shots and also because if there is a rebound they are likely to far away from it to get a 2nd/3rd swipe.

guys that will drive the slot will have success, because they get opportunities from rebounds and also from catching 'junk' on the backside of plays. guys like Smyth and Luc for the Kings made a living by doing this. neither one was pretty watching them most of the time but those two were willing to take the hits and slashes and get inside.

almost every player on this roster is unwilling to do this for 60-minutes. they may make a push to the 'house' but then quickly shoot or wheel off the perimeter when they come up on a defender. granted i didn't play at this level, but i drove the slot area and front always. took a lot of beatings and punishment, but i knew i had to get inside. either to shoot, or to get inside and cause havoc. i wasn't the one netting a lot of goals, but i was inside messing with the D and keeper, so my teammates could then get inside easier. someone has to do it for LA.....i can't, i'm to old and underskilled

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

8 games out of 42? And you think the Kings are generating offense?

It also took you 23 games to get 4 games where the Kings had some middle offense to compare with Philadelphia. This is the Murray shot mentality, hope and pray offense at work.

BTW, I don't expect the Canuck game every time, but that game is the anomaly, not the other 34 games where the Kings can't score more than 2 regulation goals. I just want more emphasis on the middle of the ice. No more shots from the perimeter to get shots.
This.

Sjmay, you totally misinterpreted my point.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Defgarden

The team misses Smyth down there in the crease.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:43 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Anyone have the shot chart from last night's game handy?

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 03:50 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
The team misses Smyth down there in the crease.
Sadly, this may be part of it. But I also think that Penner was brought in to be Smyth's replacement but focusing on the defensive side of things has taken that aspect of his game away. I think Simmonds and Handzus were also part of it as well, to a lesser degree. It'd be interesting to go back (if possible) and take similiar 10-20 game sample sizes from Murray's previous years and see if their is any change associated with a change in on-ice personnel. For instance look at the games when the Smyth - Kopitar - Williams line was lighting it up or when the Kings struggled down the stretch like last year.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Anyone have the shot chart from last night's game handy?
Agree, somebody please provide for the mob.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:14 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Weeks View Post
Agree, somebody please provide for the mob.
Can't figure out how to post just the picture here like we've had previous but here's the link to take a look at it... You'll just have to click to show shots and hide the Caps shots using the filters at the top.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/icetracker.htm?id=2011020615

Old
01-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Whiskeypete

fark.....

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 05:46 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Kings versus Capitals, 5 goals, 35 shots:

Here are the Capitals shots against the Kings, 2 goals, 22 shots:

Old
01-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Kings versus Dallas, 4 goals, 41 shots:

Old
01-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Kings slhot charts, Sydor to blame
Honey you give love a bad name!

#bonjovi

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2012, 11:45 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Kings slhot charts, Sydor to blame
Honey you give love a bad name!

#bonjovi

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:11 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

I was disgusted watching the Avs game last night, so it was time to bring back the shot charts since the Kings have just 1 goal in 3 of their last 4 games.

Kings vs Avs, 1 goal, 26 shots (1/21)

Kings vs Flames, 1 goal, 32 shots (1/19)

Kings vs Canucks, 2 goals, 41 shots (1/17)

Kings vs Oilers, 1 goal, 21 shots (1/15)

Kings vs Flames, 4 goals, 24 shots (1/14)

Old
01-23-2012, 07:44 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Two observations after seeing those: Man, Loungo played a heck of a game as that is a crazy number of shots from inside the dots to only have 2 goals. The other is that is becomes painfully obvious that when the Kings generate shots from within the dots they score more goals. It also is painfully obvious that the Kings can't generate those shots on a consistent basis... I wish there was a quick fix for this, but yeah there really isn't one other than a drastic change and probably not one that can be implemented before this season is over.

Old
01-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Kings are going to live and die with defense under Lombardi. We just are not going to play up tempo run and gun. The system is geared toward thinking defense first.....but....

Guys also need to finish when the opportunity is there. I can't remember seeing so many guys miss chances as this season.

The biggist area of concern is our PP. We have too much talent for us not to be at the top of the league in this area. Solve that problem and our goals will go up 1-2 goals a game.

Last season we struggled five-on-five to score, but the PP carried us a little more.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post

Guys also need to finish when the opportunity is there. I can't remember seeing so many guys miss chances as this season.

The biggist area of concern is our PP. We have too much talent for us not to be at the top of the league in this area. Solve that problem and our goals will go up 1-2 goals a game.

Last season we struggled five-on-five to score, but the PP carried us a little more.
This, God this. I still can't understand how so many 20 goal scorers can look like midget B 4th-liners when faced with a grade-A scoring chance. Part of me still wants to believe it's a fluke and that we're going to start scoring 4 goals a game down the stretch

I mean, of course, part of it is the shot charts...but we have to have a freakishly low shooting percentage that goes beyond that. You'd think we'd get a few fluke goals by dumb luck by now, but I can't remember one.

But agreed--get the PP going, and this becomes less of a concern.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2012, 12:52 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Somehow these shot charts need to make it back to DL, with his love of visual aids for the "Breakfast with the GM" would be awesome next year just filled with these... Wait better yet, someone needs to get these printed out and give them to DL as a question at the next one...

"I have a question Mr. Lombardi."
"How do you fix this?" (dump charts all over the floor.)

DL: "Oh! Charts? CHARTS!!!!!! (begins eagerly collecting shot charts off the floor while mumbling "my precious" like Gollum from Lord of the Rings)

Old
02-05-2012, 07:09 PM
topliner967

Don't know if you guys are aware of http://www.somekindofninja.com/nhl/index.php

It says beta, so I don't know how accurate it is, but it's still fun (sad?) to play around with

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote