HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

At what point does Lehner get called-up to backup Andy for Playoff Run

Old
01-09-2012, 12:12 AM
DonthaveaCOWEN

vCash: 500
At what point does Lehner get called-up to backup Andy for Playoff Run

Just looking at Bingo, they are clearly having a rough year. It's great that Lehner is getting good playing time down there but that team is destined to finish at the bottom of the league by the looks of it.

In more cases than not, after playing yesterday and ALOT lately, McLean would have likely gone to the backup goalie for tonights game versus Philly, however he clearly doesn't have confidence in Auld to spot starts, especially against caliber teams like Philly.

I think we agree that we are "all-in" for the playoffs and there is no turning back. I think the majority also agree that we should "go for it as is" and not mortgage the future for deadline rentals (i.e Sutton, Cullen for picks and prospects). We already made our big splash for Turris. However, it is clear that Auld is not a capable backup to play a stretch of games or playoff games if it came to it. So with Bingo a write off for a year, and the losing environment he's been exposed to for most of the year...at what point do we call up Lehner to back-up Andy for the rest of the season as he'll need a rest here and there down the stretch run so he doesn't fatigue for our long cinderalla playoff run

DonthaveaCOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:18 AM
Edgeworth*

I think the logical thing is to just let this year ride out. Sens have first round pick and a very young team so if they make the playoffs great and if they don't then it's just as good because they get a great pick to grab a D-man.

I don't see Murray calling Lehner up anytime before the playoffs. If they get in then yeah put Lehner up on the big club and let him watch Anderson until he needs to go in but anything before that is just silly.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Lehner should be up here by April 1st if we all but have a spot locked up, that said, it would be wise to have a worst case scenario plan in place if something happens with Andy.

Before releasing the Lehner, I'd be all for acquiring a Nabokov/Leighton/Sanford for dirt cheap.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Lehner should be up here by April 1st if we all but have a spot locked up, that said, it would be wise to have a worst case scenario plan in place if something happens with Andy.

Before releasing the Lehner, I'd be all for acquiring a Nabokov/Leighton/Sanford for dirt cheap.
Auld is an adequate backup. I am okay if we call up Lehner in April but we should keep in the AHL for a year past this one, why rush him if he will just play back-up?

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:27 AM
DonthaveaCOWEN

I'm not talking about rushing Lehner at all. He clearly isn't intimidated on the big stage. We are going to be fighting tooth and nail for the playoffs until game 82. Fact is Andy will need games off here and there and some of those games will be against tough opponents at or above our level that our backup will need to stand tall or even steal in some cases. I don't think Auld is that guy. So Lehner is the obvious choice however I'd also have no problem getting another solid backup like the poster above mentioned. How did Marty Turco do in the Spengler?

Old
01-09-2012, 12:27 AM
TSA0402

So we are going to promote our future #1 into a backup role?

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:29 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

hmm....

....NAHHHHHH!

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
''IF'' we were to make the playoffs and Bingo missed, he'd be up here ready to go if something were to happen. Wemwould also have another d-man from Bingo(most likely Boroweicki) and a couple of forwards(Hoffman+Da Costa+Petersson) ready to go.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

He's having his own struggles in the AHL right now. He still needs seasoning. He's not ready.

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:32 AM
DonthaveaCOWEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
"Cause starters always just go from AHL starter to NHL starter?" -signed Jonathon Bernier, Cory Schneider, Jimmy Howard, Pekka Rinne, Tim Thomas, Tomas Vokoun

All I'm saying that with EVERY game and point being critical, Auld is not the guy down the stretch. If its another backup around the league that will do too

Old
01-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Yokai

vCash: 966
I'm all down for them bringing up Lehner to start a few times near the end of the year against lesser opponents to keep him hungry for more. In no way should they rush this kid into being our backup for the playoffs or next season though.

Lehner is still only 20 and he hasn't even really come in and taken over in Binghamton this season. His numbers are strong behind a weaker Binghamton team, but they still aren't jaw dropping.

Let the kid develop and get into a groove and then start calling him up on a more regular basis. They signed Anderson to a four year deal for a good reason. I think it would probably be best for Lehner if he starts taking over at 22-23 providing he has developed properly.

A lot of people just seem to want the "shiniest new toy" playing for the team as soon as possible. Personally I don't want a 20 year old Lehner playing until Cowen(20), Karlsson(21), and Lee(24) turn into a solid D corp.

With people claiming Boro could replace Kuba next year do you really want a backend of:

Cowen (21) Karlsson(22)
Borowiecki(22) Lee(25)

Lehner(21) ?? Plan the parade!

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
I don't think he'll be ready for at least another year or two.

Last edited by Gil Gunderson: 01-09-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:43 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonthaveaCOWEN View Post
"Cause starters always just go from AHL starter to NHL starter?" -signed Jonathon Bernier, Cory Schneider, Jimmy Howard, Pekka Rinne, Tim Thomas, Tomas Vokoun

All I'm saying that with EVERY game and point being critical, Auld is not the guy down the stretch. If its another backup around the league that will do too
Our future is critical. Sure its a no brainer that he comes up when Bingo misses but to compare Lehner's situation to those guys, is utter nonsense.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:46 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Id like to see Lehner go the Enroth route eventually, bring him up when Anderson needs to rest and have him play a few, and Auld stays as backup every game pretty much.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:51 AM
source

When he becomes better than our 3rd best option, which in all likelihood would only happen if Auld or Anderson sustain an injury (this season).

We can't afford to not go with our best goalies this season - after all, we're competing for a playoff spot.

source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:54 AM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Lehner is currently not Ottawa's answer..

Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:00 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Id like to see Lehner go the Enroth route eventually, bring him up when Anderson needs to rest and have him play a few, and Auld stays as backup every game pretty much.
This is what I'm hoping for as well. Andy needs a damn break.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:19 AM
ErikKarlsson
The Best (per IOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
He has the best NHL stats out of the 3 this season.

ErikKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:30 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Anderson is the answer in Ottawa but he can't play every single game. Auld just can't give his team a chance to win so they should look into bringing Lehner up to play against teams like Carolina and the Isles so Anderson can rest up for the big games.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:33 AM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 767
Hopefully we sign an NHL caliber back-up this offseason.

Someone like Biron, Conklin, or Harding.

Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:03 AM
RappinHobo
#1 Lehner Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
Hopefully we sign an NHL caliber back-up this offseason.

Someone like Biron, Conklin, or Harding.

.......not sure if serious

RappinHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 04:21 AM
Sens Rule

They call up Lehner 2 or 3 weeks before trade deadline and see how he plays in a couple of games,

Playing him in the NHL, behind a team the wins more than it loses will help his development not hurt it. If he plays well maybe he syeals Auld's spot and Auld is in press box. If he struggles he goes back to Bingo.

I doubt they trade for a backup goalie at all.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:01 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwan553 View Post
I don't think he'll be ready for at least another year or two.
Quote:
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikKarlsson View Post
He has the best NHL stats out of the 3 this season.
Lehner has not really been playing well in Bingo. Granted the team was not playing well altogether at the time because Locke was not in the lineup, but as of this point in the season he has been terrible. McKenna is on a two-way deal and he would likely earn a backup before Lehner even though Lehner has been gifted the title of future starting goalie.

As previously stated, when Lehner plays better and makes himself the better of three options then he'll see some time, but he's clearly not earned any call-up time as it stands.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:13 AM
rbkhockey29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
This^

rbkhockey29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
This

Lehner has not really been playing well in Bingo. Granted the team was not playing well altogether at the time because Locke was not in the lineup, but as of this point in the season he has been terrible. McKenna is on a two-way deal and he would likely earn a backup before Lehner even though Lehner has been gifted the title of future starting goalie.

As previously stated, when Lehner plays better and makes himself the better of three options then he'll see some time, but he's clearly not earned any call-up time as it stands.
Terrible? really? I don't think that is the word for Lehner in the AHL. The AHL means crap. Lehner is a great goalie and has shown that in the NHL. He is going to be called up to back-up before we would even consider a trade.

He was the best playoff performer in the entire AHL last season... he doesn't have a ton more to prove... he just needs to play whereever.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote