HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Michael Del Zotto

Old
01-08-2012, 10:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Michael Del Zotto

MDZ will be a group II this summer with no arbitration rights. He needs another year before being eligible for salary arbitration. $918,750 qualifying offer.

37 points in his first season
11 points last season in 47 games
23 points in 39 games so far this season. 48/49 point projection for the season

The Rangers usually do a 2 year deal when a player is coming off an entry level contract. 2nd contract. Tyutin,Girardi,Dubinsky,Callahan and Anisimov got 2 year deals.

Zach Bogosian got 2 years/$5M from Winnipeg. Lucas Sbisa got 4 years/$8.7M from Anaheim. Same draft class as DZ.

Sbisa

$1.2M
$2M
$2.6M
$2.9M

$2,175,000 cap number for Sbisa

DZ is a better player than Sbisa

The Bogosian deal is kind of high for a 2nd contract. Player w/no arbitration rights and its just a 2 year deal.

The first 2 years of the Sbisa deal. $3.2M total over 2 years. $1.6M cap. Girardi got 2 years/$3.1M for a 2nd contract.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 10:52 AM
silverfish
Player Usage

Sather has a history of hardballing the RFA's with no arbitration rights. I think we'll see a similar thing with MDZ this off-season.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:08 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Puck moving defensemen are a commodity. I expect MDZ to get Luke Schenn type money. Closer to Staal's contract than Girardi's.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Probably around 2.75 mil for around 3 years is my guess.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Yea, Im thinking around 2.5-2.75 for 2 years.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:01 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Puck moving defensemen are a commodity. I expect MDZ to get Luke Schenn type money. Closer to Staal's contract than Girardi's.
Don't see him getting that much without arbitration rights. Unless Slats gets him locked into a long-term deal, which seems unlikely. He likes the two year deals for the second contract.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:18 PM
eco's bones

$1.8 mil for 2 or somewhere between $2.3 to $2.6 for 3.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:38 PM
MorrisWanchuk

i doubt Sather goes more than 2-2.2 for 2 years. hardball imo

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:59 PM
bernmeister

Depending upon timing, Rangers will eventually generate enough cap room and lock him up for 3 with a # that is not crazy generous but a bit too much to be considered stingy. Eventually he may want to play again with Stamkos in TB and eventually he may require big $$$ or there may be a trade/walk. But in the near future should be good for 3 years or so.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:01 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Don't see him getting that much without arbitration rights. Unless Slats gets him locked into a long-term deal, which seems unlikely. He likes the two year deals for the second contract.
Staal and Schennn ddin't have arb rights and both got 5 year contracts. MDZ does have RFA rights and that's a powerful tool. Rangers do like to do 2 year contracts but in Staal's case did 5 year deal to buy up one UFA year. Lots of gray area due to CBA. 2 year contract only adds to the glut of expiring deals in 2014.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:01 PM
TomLaidlaw

2 Years - 1,850,000 per

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:10 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Dubinsky had an issue because his agent wanted $4M per for a 2nd contract. Anisimov signed without much of a fuss last summer. Both of them were not eligible for arbitration. The Rangers gave Dubinsky the $4M contract for a 3rd contract after getting him for $1.85M cap for two years. Staal is the only Rangers to go from an expiring ELC to getting a deal which includes 1 year of group III. Schenn has the same deal as Staal. 5 years which includes a group III year. The Rangers sent DZ to the AHL to grow up and to serve as a wake up call. Torts always talks about DZ becoming a better pro. Preparing better on and off the ice. Giving DZ a big long term contract might go to his head. A shorter term deal puts pressure on him to perform. Two years.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Pugs35

2 years would seem good, but that would put him as an RFA the same summer as these UFAs: Girardi, Callahan, Gaborik, Lundqvist, Boyle and Rupp. That's a lot of important pieces in one offseason.

Pugs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Calad
Section 422

3 years 7 mill

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

rangers dont overpay players w/o arb rights. period. end of story.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:40 PM
pld459666

2.25 per for 2 years

Mark it down

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 08:42 PM
darko

2 years around 2/2.25 per.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
If this was DZ's third straight year of putting up these numbers I would expect him to get a hefty contract. However, since this is his first year of truly solid offensive AND defensive numbers I think the contract will stay on the side of caution.

01-08-2012, 09:30 PM
district9
w/e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
2 years would seem good, but that would put him as an RFA the same summer as these UFAs: Girardi, Callahan, Gaborik, Lundqvist, Boyle and Rupp. That's a lot of important pieces in one offseason.
this is the reason i could see sather trying to get a 3 year deal done for a little bit more money. maybe 2.4 for 3 years

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:44 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Whoa you are way off what everyone else is thinking here. Doesnt mean you're wrong but you prob are.

I'd actually love if we got him 4 years at 2 or 2.5 per but I doubt he'd do a deal like that. it'd really give us flexibility to sign and re sign over the next 3 years including seeing how cally, hank, girardi, staal , artie and gabs work out. I doubt we re-sign gabs I dont think hell still be the same by that time and will likely want too much money and years so that should open up money to re-sign MDZ. Similarly I trhink Cally wiull start to regress too and he'll re sign for less than what he makes now so i think in 4 years we'll have tons of money for Stepan, McD, MDZ, Erixon, Artie who will all be hitting their 3-6 mil contracts around that 3rd or 4th year.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:52 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
Whoa you are way off what everyone else is thinking here. Doesnt mean you're wrong but you prob are.

I'd actually love if we got him 4 years at 2 or 2.5 per but I doubt he'd do a deal like that. it'd really give us flexibility to sign and re sign over the next 3 years including seeing how cally, hank, girardi, staal , artie and gabs work out. I doubt we re-sign gabs I dont think hell still be the same by that time and will likely want too much money and years so that should open up money to re-sign MDZ. Similarly I trhink Cally will start to regress too and he'll re sign for less than what he makes now so i think in 4 years we'll have tons of money for Stepan, McD, MDZ, Erixon, Artie who will all be hitting their 3-6 mil contracts around that 3rd or 4th year.
No I'm not. 5 years, $15-17MM. Would be smart to get him under contract long term and set the bar for McDonagh the following summer.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:20 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

2 yrs 2.50 mill per.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:18 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
No I'm not. 5 years, $15-17MM. Would be smart to get him under contract long term and set the bar for McDonagh the following summer.
I'd love that deal and that's smart thinking with McDonagh. Sure, it might hurt us a tiny bit in the short run by having a cap hit of 3-3.5 instead of 2-2.5, but in the long run that'd be great. If Del Zotto plays like he has this year (and for all we know he could improve), he'll be a defensively responsible 50 point d-man. That is worth a lot.

You could entice him to sign it (maybe even with a lower cap hit) by putting in a big bonus in the beginning as lockout protection. Now, I doubt we do that (we generally don't reward players who haven't earned it - we backload RFA contracts to actually give them more as they progress), but it's always a possibility.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 06:42 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

McDonagh doesn't have the 1 year between arbitration. McD signed as a 21 year old. He needs just 3 years to be arb eligible. McDonagh is arb eligible next summer. Players signing their ELCs as 18-20 year olds needs 4 years pro experience. 21 year olds need 3 years pro. 22-23 year olds needs 2 years pro. Carl Hagelin is arb eligible at the end of his 2 year ELC.

2 year ELC for a defenseman which covers 1 non-arb year and 1 arb year. Bogosian is one example for $2.5M. Niskanen is another. Usually teams re-sign their D to long term deals covering the non arb year,the arb years and group 3 years. Yandle is one. He had his breakout season and best season so far under that 2 year contract. Jack Johnson. Erik Johnson for $2.6M. DZ will have better numbers than those players.

Teams usually re-sign their young D to long term deals but sometimes those players are paid for potential than performance. Buffalo gave Tyler Myers that ridiculous contract. Hedman got $4M per. The Rangers don't reward players on potential. The 2 year deal at Bogosian/Johnson numbers is more than the Rangers have usually paid out for their other players. The Rangers don't want a 1 year deal and another arbitration case.

Erik Karlsson and John Carlson are in the same boat as DZ. These players usually don't sign until right before camp starts but those teams might wait until the CBA is settled. The Rangers might wait. The Rangers are in tricky spot.

Old
01-09-2012, 07:59 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Yes you are way off what everyone else is thinking just read the thread. Again doesn't mean you are wrong. I doubt there's anyway he does more than 3. Wouldn't be smart for him financially. For the rangers 2 years is bad though they have enough guys to re-sign. 3 years is pretty good for both but 4 at 2.5-3 would be perfect imo. 5 years for 3 is just too good to be true it wouldnt make any sense for MDZ to do that to himself altho I'd love if he did especially since we will have a backlog of D at even strength. As it stands now McD, Staal, MDZ, who's the third pairing LD? Then you throw in Girardi, Erixon for the future and someone HAS to be the 3rd pair.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote