HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What happened to David Fischer?

Old
01-09-2012, 10:03 AM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
What happened to David Fischer?

As much as many here like to crap all over Gainey and co. for their share of mistakes over the last decade, why exactly was David Fischer a mistake?

What did the organization see in him?

Why did they give up on him as quickly as they did?

I know busts are a common occurrence in sports, but this one has always been peculiar to me.

Last edited by Coldplay: 01-09-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:09 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Didn't we trade down that year?

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

They saw he wasn't progressing at all, and the opportunity was there to let go of him and get a 2nd round pick out of it. That's related to the fact that he was offered a contract soon after he was drafted and turned it down (like most college prospects) so he could stay in university. Since he refused to sign a contract, the Habs later got a compensation out of it.

As for why he was picked... He had some qualities, such as his skating, apparently his leadership and his hockey sense. He won the Mr. Hockey award or something a year before he was drafted I think. So the pick was a bit of a reach, but he was slated to go late in the first, early in the second.

EDIT: Yes, we traded down, from 16th to 20th I think? Fischer wasn't Timmins guy. It wasn't another scout that swore only by his name.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:10 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

should of included fisher instad of mcdonough in that dreaded deal.. wouldnt that have been nice

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:11 AM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
They saw he wasn't progressing at all, and the opportunity was there to let go of him and get a 2nd round pick out of it. That's related to the fact that he was offered a contract soon after he was drafted and turned it down (like most college prospects) so he could stay in university. Since he refused to sign a contract, the Habs later got a compensation out of it.

As for why he was picked... He had some qualities, such as his skating, apparently his leadership and his hockey sense. He won the Mr. Hockey award or something a year before he was drafted I think. So the pick was a bit of a reach, but he was slated to go late in the first, early in the second.

EDIT: Yes, we traded down, from 16th to 20th I think? Fischer wasn't Timmins guy. It wasn't another scout that swore only by his name.
What did that pick turn out to become?

Oh and I just wanted to say this: top titty.

poetryinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:12 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

He is a bust otherwise he would have been traded by Gainey for an overpaid veteran.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:14 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Can't imagine where the Habs might be at with Giroux...

Sigh'lest Vie

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
What did that pick turn out to become?

Oh and I just wanted to say this: top titty.
I think we traded the pick to FLA in exchange of Dominic Moore? I know that it's the 50th pick in 2009 or 2010...

Actually, after doing some research, I think it's this guy

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=123281

Old
01-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
As much as many here like to crap all over Gainey and co. for their share of mistakes over the last decade, why exactly was David Fischer a mistake?

I know busts are a common occurrence in sports, but this one has always been peculiar to me.
He was a big mobile d-man who dominated in HS and was mature for his age. Unfortunately his development derailed at U of Minnesota.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:18 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He was a big mobile d-man who dominated in HS and was mature for his age. Unfortunately his development derailed at U of Minnesota.
It's an odd case hey CP? Why did it go so negative? I remember being so excited about that pick, he sounded like a surefire pick. At worst a bottom pairing d-man who excels in short handed situations type, guy who can eat up minutes...But he just.

Yeah.

And why? Odd. Nothing on Timmins and the team I don't think. You get your choices and you go with them, can't dwell on that. Overall they've drafted very well since coming on board.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

There is still a slim chance for him to reach the NHL, but it will take a lot of work.

He's a top defenseman in the ECHL right now, scoring 23 points in 30 games.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:19 AM
llamateizer

Quote:

The Montreal Canadiens trade the 16th pick (Ty Wishart) to the San Jose Sharks for the 20th pick (David Fischer) and the 53rd pick (Mathieu Carle).

article on him
http://www.hockeyfanzone.com/showthread.php?t=16241
http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...id-fischer.php

IIRC, the habs recieved a 2nd round for not signing him on august 15 2010

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
It's an odd case hey CP? Why did it go so negative? I remember being so excited about that pick, he sounded like a surefire pick. At worst a bottom pairing d-man who excels in short handed situations type, guy who can eat up minutes...But he just.

Yeah.

And why? Odd. Nothing on Timmins and the team I don't think. You get your choices and you go with them, can't dwell on that. Overall they've drafted very well since coming on board.
Fischer's biggest flaw was his size. He was tall but very lanky and lacked upper body strength, which is really bad for a dman. He could never work on that problem because first, he had surgery and lost a lot of weight apparently. Then I think he lost his mother or she got really sick? I think he had something family related that really derailed one of his season.

EDIT: It's worth being noted that Fischer attended the Canucks' training camp this fall but failed to showcase anything. According to the reports out of Vancouver, he had a really disappointing camp.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:23 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
There is still a slim chance for him to reach the NHL, but it will take a lot of work.

He's a top defenseman in the ECHL right now, scoring 23 points in 30 games.
Seems odd to me he's in the ECHL. I would have thought it was a question of commitment, that'd be real cool if he became a solid d-man in a few years.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:24 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I'd give him a contract next year for the lols. Hamilton could use his superstar talents.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:37 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:

Fischer was tall and lanky but a great skater and decent puck mover. He was invited to tryout for the USNDTP but turned them down since they wanted him to tryout as a forward and at the time his mother was sick.

At Minnesota he was on the 3rd pairing in his freshman year behind Eric Johnson, after EJ left Fischer was moved up to the top pairing and things were looking good for him by his Junior year but then an injury cost him some time. But he regressed in his senior year and the Habs clearly felt they were better off with the 50th overall pick then to sign him.

I've heard he's playing very well in the ECHL last year and this year so at some point he should be in the AHL.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Fischer was tall and lanky but a great skater and decent puck mover. He was invited to tryout for the USNDTP but turned them down since they wanted him to tryout as a forward and at the time his mother was sick.

At Minnesota he was on the 3rd pairing in his freshman year behind Eric Johnson, after EJ left Fischer was moved up to the top pairing and things were looking good for him by his Junior year but then an injury cost him some time. But he regressed in his senior year and the Habs clearly felt they were better off with the 50th overall pick then to sign him.

I've heard he's playing very well in the ECHL last year and this year so at some point he should be in the AHL.
Do you think there's any chance the Habs could bring him back someday if he comes along to the point where an AHL contract would be acceptable? Just asking for your opinion, of course, no one really knows. I figure since the team drafted him so high they might be so inclined to give him another chance someday.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:47 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Do you think there's any chance the Habs could bring him back someday if he comes along to the point where an AHL contract would be acceptable? Just asking for your opinion, of course, no one really knows. I figure since the team drafted him so high they might be so inclined to give him another chance someday.
They could but it would seem unlikely since the Habs are loaded with D prospects coming up next year and the following. They look to have Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Pateryn all turning pro next season plus they could sign Kishel to an AHL contract. The next season they could have Bennett, Dietz and Nygren all turn pro as well. That is a lot of young talent about to hit the pro level over the next 2 years.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:53 AM
Lafleurs Guy

After beating Kasparov for the world chess championship he went into seclusion and then, oh wait...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 10:58 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
They could but it would seem unlikely since the Habs are loaded with D prospects coming up next year and the following. They look to have Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Pateryn all turning pro next season plus they could sign Kishel to an AHL contract. The next season they could have Bennett, Dietz and Nygren all turn pro as well. That is a lot of young talent about to hit the pro level over the next 2 years.
I don't think Kishel will get a contract. His entire team has good stats, I doubt he's suddenly become good enough his senior year to earn a contract. Agreed with the rest though, we don't really have room considering how many D Timmins drafted the last two years. I wouldn't be shocked if Beaulieu was only in Hamilton for half a year though. Either way Hamilton looks to have a solid team coming in for the next few years.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

We didn't sign him and we got a 2nd round pick as a compensation. The 2nd was later traded for Wisniewski.

It's still a very bad pick but at least PG was able to manage this "asset" properly.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Too bad the Gainey didn't send Fisher instead of McDonagh to the Rangers

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Too bad the Gainey didn't send Fisher instead of McDonagh to the Rangers
He wasn't going to get lucky twice.

Remember when he blindly offered up Plekanec for Kovalev, and the Rangers chose...poorly?

Old
01-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
He wasn't going to get lucky twice.

Remember when he blindly offered up Plekanec for Kovalev, and the Rangers chose...poorly?
I guess. The only reason I thought it would have been more logical is cause Fisher was drafted a year ahead of McDonagh so the Habs should have already known a little more on Fisher then on McDonagh. Anyways too late now to look back at that move

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Beakermania*

In Gare Joyce's book... Future Greats and Heartbreaks... which deals with behind the scenes at the 2007 draft, there was one prospect who had a bunch of interviews and really did poorly. Teams started calling him "the idiot" behind his back and he ended up on a lot of Do Not Draft lists.
http://www.amazon.ca/Future-Greats-H.../dp/0385664400

It turns out it was David Fischer.

Unfortunately for the Habs, we were one of the last teams to interview him, and by the time he got to us, he had been coached by his "advisor" (NCAA friendly version of an Agent)... and he didn't fail with us.

Due to a little bad luck, we missed out on getting the bad signs from this kid.

After we didn't sign him and let him be a UFA, the Canucks gave him a tryout, he didn't get offered a contract with them either.

He's in the ECHL now, I think.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote